home
RSS
October 11th, 2010

Newborn jaundice may signal increased autism risk

Full-term babies who develop jaundice have a 67 percent higher risk of developing autism, Danish researchers say,  a finding that contradicts a similar study published five years ago.

According to the  study published Monday in the journal Pediatrics, being born between October and March and not being the mother's first child further increases the risk for autism for children who develop jaundice.

"This paper does not say that jaundice causes autism," cautions Dr. Max Wiznitzer, a neurologist at Rainbow Babies & Children's Hospital in Cleveland, Ohio, who was not involved with the study.  He points to a 2005 Kaiser Permanente study conducted in Northern California, which also looked at a jaundice-autism link and concluded high bilirubin levels in newborns is not a risk factor for autism.

Jaundice is caused by higher levels of bilirubin, which is created in the process of breaking down old blood cells in the body.  If too much of this chemical builds up in a newborn's body, it can cause the skin and whites of the eyes to take on a yellowish tone.

While a baby is still in the womb, the mom's liver takes care of removing bilirubin.  Once the baby is born, its own liver has to take over the job.  "Most babies develop jaundice in the first few days after birth because it takes a few days for the baby’s liver to get better at removing bilirubin," says the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP).

"Jaundice is present to some degree in most newborns," according to the National Institutes of Health (NIH), but usually doesn't cause any problems and goes away within one to two weeks.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says, "About 60 percent of all babies have jaundice," but if it's untreated and the levels of bilirubin get very high,  it can lead to brain damage called kernicterus.

There are several types of autism classified as autism spectrum disorders (ASDs).  The cause is not known and there is no test for these disorders, which cause significant social, communication and behavioral difficulties.  The CDC estimates that 1 in 110 children in the United States have an ASD.

"Most likely autism is caused by a combination of genetic and environmental factors," says Alycia Halladay, Ph.D., the director of Research, Environmental Sciences for the advocacy group Autism Speaks. Halladay says the study authors have theories about the lack of sunlight in the winter months contributing to less vitamin D production and an accumulation of bilirubin.  She notes this new study does not say jaundice causes autism.  Still,Halladay says, jaundice could be a marker for autism.

"This could be something else that they [pediatricians] can watch out for," says Halladay.  She suggests doctors keep look ing for other warning signs for autism if a baby has had jaundice.  Early diagnosis of autism in children and early therapy has been shown to increase the chances of developmental improvement.

Wiznitzer says this study raises a lot of questions that still need to be answered.  Given the fact that this study comes to the opposite conclusion of the California study, he suggests that, "this needs to be reproduced in other parts of the world."  He says it needs to be determined if all full-term newborns with jaundice are at an increased risk for autism, or if there's something in Scandinavia that would not be a factor in other parts of the world.

1. Kerbob1

Why did CNN even talk to Wiznitzer? He's famous for his anti-litigation work on behalf of the vaccine manufacturing drug companies. He testifies against vaccine-injured children using the same bogus research supported and funded by government-sanctioned anti-litigation groups like Autism Speaks, which has most anti-litigation so called expert witnesses on their pay-roll.

Vaccines like the Thimerosal-containing Hep B given to newborns at eleven hours into their new lives cause jaundice and a number of other symptoms as the toxicity from the ethylmercury attacks the brains and liver processes. Birth records are often scrubbed and redacted when the Hep B produces the likely symptoms which lead to future diagnoses of neurological disability like Autism and other ASD. Parents have no idea that the shot was given. The government knows the Hep B was responsible for the jaundiced kids. This and this is why the issue was looked at in 2005. Of course, they would never disclose the reason why so many children had jaundice.

October 11, 2010 at 00:59 | Report abuse | Reply
    • auntie paranoia

You must have the market cornered on tinfoil hats. Science has disproved every aspect of your conspiracy theory with modern studies. But I guess science disproving facts must be a conspiracy too? Stop rumormongering, youll only influence people with more hysterical stupidity like jenny mccarthy.

October 11, 2010 at 08:28 | Report abuse |
    • OMG

Care to back up your ridiculous claim with any data? Of course not- all the pediatricians are in some grand conspiracy to give as many kids autism as possible!

October 11, 2010 at 08:31 | Report abuse |
    • meriwyle

The above article plainly states the main reason neonates (newborns) end up with jaundice. There is no governmental conspiracy, and I think that I (and my child) are pretty lucky to live in a time when the most insidious diseases can be prevented with vaccines. It's amazing to me how soon people forget what it was like when 1/5 of children died before their 5th birthday. Look what's happening in California right now, how many newborns have died because they were exposed to a child or adult who was not vaccinated against pertussis? I am far more afraid of people who don't vaccinate their children than I am of any alleged risk from getting the vaccine.

October 11, 2010 at 08:33 | Report abuse |
    • gale

Are you a doctor? Or do you just assume the things you have posted? I rather doubt that if this were so eventually the govt. would have put an end to it. After all, they are assuming some of the cost of autism and should be assuming more. I work with these kids. They are so wonderful to work with and bless me all the time because of their love. I hope more is done for them and the cure is found. But, I do not believe in a conspiracy. I have 5 children, all had their shots, nothing happened to them other than a little fever with a couple of them. I have many friends with kids, nothing happened to them and out of all the parents I work with with children with ASD non believe shots caused it.

October 11, 2010 at 09:01 | Report abuse |
    • lam81208

WOW. You are ridiculous. Get off the conspiracy theory so that we can focus on what the real causes are and how to help these children. You are doing nothing but holding that back with this garbage.

October 11, 2010 at 09:19 | Report abuse |
    • Commentator3

Vaccines given to infants and children DO NOT contain thimerisol and haven't for years. Vaccines have been proven to be safe They do not cause jaundice and have definitely been shown to NOT cause autism. It's a shame that a lot of people cannot stop focusing on this. Spreading these falsehoods harms children because some parents may believe them and so they do not vaccinate their children. Several infants have died this past year from whooping cough for this very reason. Let's focus on finding out the real cause(s) of autism so we can do something about it. The garbage kerbob1 is spewing is a distraction.

October 11, 2010 at 09:37 | Report abuse |
    • Angela

"Parents have no idea that the shot was given."

Not true. You must consent to give the Hep B vaccine to your child at birth (I just had my last baby seven weeks ago, so I remember this quite clearly). You also have the option to delay this vaccine or, with all other vaccines, not give it at all.

October 11, 2010 at 10:27 | Report abuse |
    • Valerie

Hepatitis B
      SmithKline Beecham Pharmaceuticals
      1-800-633-8900 ext. 5231
      produced using aluminum hydroxide, thimerosal
      medium: yeast (possibly 5% residual)

October 11, 2010 at 10:37 | Report abuse |
    • beejeebus

We need a good plague to rid the world of stupidity, go ahead don't vaccinate your children. While your child is in the hospital w/ liver failure and in an iron lung, my child will have a better student to teacher ratio. Tinfoil hat doesn't even to begin to describe you.

October 11, 2010 at 11:07 | Report abuse |
    • Mark

Wow Thats a mouth full!

October 11, 2010 at 12:29 | Report abuse |
    • DrD

As @ Commentator said, it is a shame that the communication between you and your pediatrician was so poor. As he/she also noted, a "yellow child" at age one is a horse of a different color. This is not considered neonatal jaundice. and is more suggestive of pathology. Neonatal jaundice is most likely due to a benign etiology ie; the liver is not just quite "ready" to deal with the normal break down products of the red blood cells. Once the liver matures a bit all is well again. This is bread and butter for pediatrician's and certainly not a reportable event. Regarding this article, it sounds like a journalist had an assignment to write something that would bate the reader into reading the article. They mention autism and vaccines together and "bang they got ya". Also, when ever you hear the term " clinical study", it is almost an oxymoron. Clinical studies are more often than not a statistical mine field. The ONLY worthwhile sentence in this article came at the end when they pointed out a potential selection bias ( ....something different between Scandinavians and the rest of the world...) This article does nothing more than create needless worry. Oh yes...and bring out the conspiracy theorists.
      Regarding "scrubbing" of hospital charts...well that is just laughable, impossible and waste of energy commenting on any further.

October 11, 2010 at 23:56 | Report abuse |
    • DrD

I am truly saddened when any child is ill. That said ..PLEASE folks just keep to the facts of your particular case and stop making absurd associations and conclusions. Clinical studies are often frail even in the best of hands. It is only made worse when lay people start muddying the waters , frightening people and stirring up our conspiracy theorists( terrorists). If you feel you are not able to communicate well with MD ...change doctors if possible. If that is not an option try pointing out your concerns to your docs' . We are truly there to help..although on occasion perhaps misguided.

October 12, 2010 at 00:25 | Report abuse |
    • Reemie Arar

@ Kerbob1,
      I agree with your statement, it is the vaccines that trigger the autism. By the time a baby is 18months old, he had soo many vaccines & chemicals put in his body, his system cannot cope anymore. Our generation never had to many vaccines, and not at such a young age. I am also surprised and disappointed by the replies you received. These people dont have a clue what it is like to raise an autistic child. Fact is the Pharma Lobby in the US is very powerful, and power & interest groups determine policies in the US.

October 12, 2010 at 03:46 | Report abuse |
    • janet LISHMAN

interesting and actually I read about this when my 20 year old twins were born. My daughter did have jaundice and my son did not. The biggest difference she is more impaired and has epilepsy bad. He is very heathy but is still considered severe.

She did have Brain Surgery and is so much better behaviorally, independence but still has bad seizures not as bad more important is with her behaviors and new opportunities to volunteer or be out in the community. This was huge to me so many autism children get sent away to out of state placements the costs is so high. Her surgeon said a study is simple and explained it. I am too overwhelmed to advocate this. Started a school, an educational program, conferences and now since there are no adult programs all non profits and this is the time the epidemic is growing up this is beyond terrifying. My daughter will die due to the massive amounts of medications that eventually shut down organs.

October 17, 2010 at 02:41 | Report abuse |
  2. Diane

My toddler became jaundice within hours of receiving his MMR shot along with two other vaccinations. The yellow was so noticable all my friends kept asking me what was wrong with him. I took him back to the same pediatrician that gave the shots. He took one look at him and mentioned how yellow he looked. I told him he had his vaccinations the day before and all of a sudden the doctor starts saying it's nothing to worry about, it was probably just something he ate. Bull!!! This happened about 9 years ago and he is autistic. The doctor never reported any of it.

October 11, 2010 at 08:35 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Commentator3

Sorry that your doctor seemed to blow off your concerns. But the MMR vaccine does not cause autism. I would think a reputable physician who noted jaundice in a 1 year old would test for jaundice to confirm. At that point, he or she would then pursue the cause of jaundice in a 1 year old because at that age, it is abnormal. Did your physician confirm the jaundice by a blood test? Was it positive for an elevated bilirubin? If positive, does your child have liver disease or a blood disorder? If the answer is no to all of these, then you should refrain from telling people that your child's vaccine caused his autism.

October 11, 2010 at 09:42 | Report abuse |
    • Mark

Didnt realize that it was a cause/effect situation
      Still ur doc sounds like a real "nice guy"

October 11, 2010 at 12:30 | Report abuse |
    • DrD

October 11, 2010 at 23:55 | Report abuse |
    • Debora Alba

All I know is that my son was born a preemie but I also remember him starting to talk.Then it was time for him to get his follow up shots and my doctor was on vacation so I had no choice but to go to the Health Department to get them. I have another son and their whole lives they had the same doctor...he's great my kids never got a fever from the shots or never were sore....until this one time. My son develpoed a fever and next thing you know he lost all interest in talking....

October 12, 2010 at 11:30 | Report abuse |
  3. proudmomof3

I have a son with Autism.. Yes he was slightly jaundice but he was not my first child.. He was a typical child until he was between 2 and 3.. That is when everything changed.. Military doctors kept telling me he was fine.. They said there was nothing to worry about he is a boy and their boy didn't talk til he was 4... Well now my son is severe Autistic but he is very smart.. I don't know where they get that this is genetic in any way because NOBODY on either sides has ever had anything like this.. They are always going to deny that what is suppose to keep our kids healthy has given them a life time problem.. It took a (non military) dentist to tell me I needed to have my son evaluated.. My second child was born and he started showing the same signs around the same age.. He was slightly jaundice as well.. I was able to get him help no problem due to his brother having Autism.. Now he is a typical little guy and gets great grades in school.. The one thing I wish is that people would get educated on Autism.. They are not contagious and spanking them teaches them to hit.. It is growing like wild fire so people need to be more accepting of it!!

October 11, 2010 at 08:35 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Meme

So sorry for your struggles with two special needs children. I think them blessings none the less. As for genetic component to autism, it has been discovered and is still being studied as you yourself know the severity varies along the spectrum. Your assumption because of no known expression of autism in family history means not genetic is unfounded. To know for sure you'd have to genotype every family member all the way back. Not the same but an example of genetics being expressed without previous expression in fam members could be said for a blue eyed child born to brown eyed parents that following four generations back all family including aunts uncles, cousins, etc all have brown eyes. It's genetically possible as the blue can travel along for generation unexpressed and if both parents carriers there would be 25% chance to have blue eyed child.
      That said I have my own opinions. While I do not blame vaccinations as a whole because it vaccines caused autism well all vaccinated or much higher percentage would have autism, I do think in some cases vaccinations may trigger the expression of autism that would have likely surfaced anyway. Keep in mind there is a correlation in age children are vaccinated and age autism symptoms of developmental regression begins.
      In you specific case having two children with ASD leads way to genetics. It would take studying parents of autistic children prior to future children and have these families do a delayed schedule on immunizations for subsequent children. Then if the family were true carriers and the autism to be expressed either way, delaying vaccinations would show no improvement as autism would present before altered vaccine schedule. Again latter portion my opinion.
      More than any of the above, may God bless you as your special children are just that and caring for them is more a task. May your rewards be known. God bless!

October 11, 2010 at 17:07 | Report abuse |
  4. jenstate

've been reading what Brain Balance – http://www.brainbalancecenters.com – has to say about the issue: that all neurobehavioral disorders have in common an underlying condition called functional disconnection syndrome. (My daughter has SPD and my mom is schizophrenic, so I'm interested in all neuro-behavioral disorders). Through diet, behavior modification, brain exercises and educational techniques that help make connections, Brain Balance asserts one can reduce or eliminate symptoms. While their site doesn’t really talk cause (environment, genetics, birth injury, etc.) it is worth a read, particularly the “truth” section. I think it gets to the heart of what you can DO once your loved one is affected. They are brain based, not drug based... it's a much more natural approach to improving brain function, whatever the manifestation.

October 11, 2010 at 08:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Kevin

Diane- I think you should go back and have a conversation wth that doctor, that is borderline negligence on their behalf. Obviously your child suffered temporary Hepatitis(not uncommon from viruses or drugs). I don't think it is one single factor that causes Autism, it is several injuries which trigger neurological damage. Vaccines, the PCB chemicals in Plastics(this may be one of the largest environmental factors as this is the single greatest environmental change that affects our bodies since 1985 or so, everything used to be glass or tin), genetic predisposition, and possibly Vitamin D production(or a lack there of). It is quite clear that vaccines alone do not cause Autism.

With that said, Vaccines save lives. However, I think it is appauling and with no scientific merit that they try and force you to give your 24 hour old newborn the Hep B vaccine. There is ZERO chance of your baby acquiriing Hep. B, the odds are like winning the powerball. Why expose a brand new infant to a significant immune response that soon and risk a high fever, side effects etc.. Wait at least until they are 3 months old for that shot IMO.

October 11, 2010 at 08:52 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Diane

Kevin,

I agree with you that there is no single cause of autism. I don't think vaccines are the sole cause of autism, but I'm also not ready to say it plays no part in it. I think we have such a build up of pollution and chemicals in our bodies, that eventually our bodies can't take it anymore. It breaks down into different diseases and disorders. There's a trigger that is the "straw that breaks the camels back." That trigger may be different things for different people, but for some children, vaccinations are a trigger.

October 11, 2010 at 09:28 | Report abuse |
  6. d.barlow m.d.

boloney.. the only thing they forgot to mention was whether the moon was in aquarius.... multifactorial cause genetic then chemical viral insult,,, have witnesed it personally.... each child' s vacciantion schedule should be cautiously implemented by.. m.d. not government mandated...

October 11, 2010 at 09:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. momof ASD

Are you stupid??? You have no idea what life is like for these people. God forbid your child has something similar and you be judged like this.

October 11, 2010 at 09:44 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mark

I think thats what it is
      these people just dont know

October 11, 2010 at 12:31 | Report abuse |
  8. Wendy

Oh please, not another ridiculous assertion. My third baby had jaundice and was in an incubator for 24 hours. He weighed over ten pounds and was over two weeks late. He is an adult now and has always been perfectly healthy. Results of these "studies" should not even be published.

October 11, 2010 at 09:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Dave

If more than 60% of babies experience jaundice at some point within their first weeks of life, and about 1 in 110 babies born develop an ASD, I think the odds are pretty stacked that a baby who had jaundice at some point is possibly going to also have an ASD.

I'm not a doctor, scientist, or mathematician – but I can clearly see how there could be a link between the two. Here's a suggest:

Let's clean up this planet – which we have made filthy and toxic due to our own progress, greed and selfishness, and then maybe in a few generations we'll see all this stuff start to decline. We need to stop living for ourselves in the present, and think about our future generations. I'm just saying.

October 11, 2010 at 09:49 | Report abuse | Reply
    • nursemom

Breastfed term babies are more likely to get jaundiced (enough to require treatment) than bottle fed babies because mom's milk is not in. They don't get enough to "push out" the bili in their stools. So should we stop breastfeeding at birth to prevent jaundice which can lead to austism? And yes, I'm a NICU nurse, I know what I'm talking about regarding the breastfeeding link to jaundice. But no, I don't think we should stop breastfeeding. I'm just making a point about the idiocy of these "links". As Dave said, there is a proportional "link"–if this many autistic kids were jaundiced but 60% of newborns are....good grief. I feel the same way about those studies that show things like drinking from plastic water bottles gives you breast cancer because that seems to be the only link they can find. And people take this stuff as gospel. I can just see the repercussions from this article in the NICU–my baby is on a bili light, now he will have jaundice and it is the fault of the NICU...
      As for the hepatitis vaccine, most are given at birth. Oh no, take that and run with it! But it is NOT done without parental knowledge–it requires a signed consent form preceded by an printed educational sheet given to the parents in their native language! And most reactions to vaccines are to an ingredient, like eggs and gentamycin in the flu vaccine, not the actual anti-viral load in it. I don't believe in getting my children vaccinated for every little possibility in life, but some are well worth it. And I have never (yet) seen a reaction to a hep B vaccine in a newborn. Jaundice isn't a vaccine reaction at birth, it is a physiological response to the adjustments the baby makes in its' system after birth.

October 11, 2010 at 10:41 | Report abuse |
    • otmom

I totally agree. I have never understood why parents choose only to look at the statistics linking autism to vaccines. They do not look at research and determine that the risk of not giving their kids vaccines can be more dangerous than the possible risk of getting autism. Are the parents who think we shouldn't get kids vaccinated due to risk related to autism now going to advocate not breastfeeding due to increasing risk of autism? (Statistics show that breastfed babies are more likely to get jaundice than formula fed babies and jaundice increases risk by 67%)

If you want to say that kids have been jaundice and breastfed for years and the prevelance of autism has increased in recent years then you also must consider that kids have been vaccinated for years also. You also have to consider that one reason the prevelance of autism has increased is due to new diagnostic criteria used to diagnose autism and the fact that an autism diagnosis is more socially accepted than in the past. Another factor to consider is that Autism has also became the "catch all" diagnosis for many practitioners who will diagnose a child with autism without doing the thorough evaluation which is necessary to accurately diagnose a child with autism.

October 13, 2010 at 20:36 | Report abuse |
  10. pearl

This drives me nuts. One more thing for new parents to worry about. I appreciate that scientists are trying to figure out what causes such a sad disease but they've got to find a better way of announcing it when they have PROOF. This is now added to the list of possible causes of autism, right after ultrasounds, vaccinations, stress during pregnancy, the water, older parents, etc. What next???! Breathing? Being born puts you at risk for having autism, let's face it. I bet all moms who have kids that were jaundice at some point are now frantically watching out for any slight sign of autism. Ultimately we can rest in the hands of God knowing that He will be able to help us down this difficult road called life.

October 11, 2010 at 09:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Gramof4

Don't buy this nonsense. Babies born with jaundice has been happening since the beginning of time. My children and two of my grandchildren had severe jaundice when they were born because their blood type was different than the mother. They are all very, very fine. The increase in jaundice has something to do with what humans are doing – not what occurs naturally.

October 11, 2010 at 09:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Scott in NH

The article states that early diagnosis and early treatment are very important. Early diagnosis is easy. Early treatment is very rare. An intensive ABA program for a 2 year old can easily cost $85,000 a year. Even if an insurance company or school is legally bound to provide this, it is going to take at least a year of fighting them to get it, and that is only if the parents are savvy enough to learn very quickly that they need to fight them, are rich enough to afford good lawyers and advocates, and lucky enough to find them. Most parents will take a few years to learn this, not have enough money, or be too overwhelmed with the child(ren) to fight.

October 11, 2010 at 09:57 | Report abuse | Reply
    • proudmomof3

Not true at all.. We haven't had to pay a dime for our sons therapy.. Once a child is diagnosed the schools and state (unless you live in Oklahoma) jump right in and help you out.. Early intervention is key and it is easy to get.. We got an advocate for our first child and only needed her one time.. If you love your child and want them to have a fantastic life as best as you can give them then it is there for you to get.. Doesn't take years at all..

October 11, 2010 at 16:56 | Report abuse |
    • Valerie

The school board in my state at the time (Missouri) took care of everything, diagnosing through early childhood screening. My son went to a special preschool starting at age 3, and a bus took him from home to school, all for free. And this was at a time when Bush was in office and all of the welfare programs had been cut substantially.

October 11, 2010 at 17:13 | Report abuse |
  13. amsjll

A while back, less than two years for sure, they were talking about a saliva test. They figured out that autistic children had a different pH, and were looking into testing kids earlier then after diagnosis, such as at birth before vaccines were given.

Also, it was shown that older fathers played a role in autism. They may make new sperm every day but the parts of the body making the sperm are getting older and someone finally realized that in the medical field. Fathers over 40 I believe. Thats gotten little to no attention as far as I can tell.

My point is that I think science generally thinks its a problem with several causes and many risk factors. Such as SIDS. They are not saying all babies with jaundice will have autism. They are trying to take all the pieces of the puzzle and fit them together. This is one one tiny piece. I agree with a previous poster though that these things maybe shouldnt be published for the public. Publish it when you get a big part of the puzzle solved, not one piece of a 5000 piece puzzle.

October 11, 2010 at 10:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Scott in NH

My non-verbal daughter had a high fever, personality change, and sudden regression the day after her MMR shot. My son was on a billi-bed for 3 days after birth and now has PDD-NOS. I don't believe my own stories, or any anecdotes with a population study of 1 mean anything whatsoever scientifically. When statistic relationships are found (in large studies) that link does not imply any causal link. We need to keep studying autism to find out what causes it, and how to cure it, but using real science, not guesswork.

October 11, 2010 at 10:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Barb

you know these drug companies get by with way too much – for way too many years no one would come out and admit that the BIG cause of so much breast cancer was caused by birth control pills and HRT. just like no one wants to admit the truth about our children getting way too many vaccines. lets get real here these diseases and afflictions don't just happen.

October 11, 2010 at 10:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Kelly

For those of us who have children with autism, we understand the importance of early intervention. Articles like this will at least give parents and doctors a "heads up" if a child is born with jaundice to pay closer attention. Although there is no one cause or miracle cure, the more people know, the better they will be able to deal with it.

October 11, 2010 at 10:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. momof ASD

T -what would you do with these kids? Do they not deserve a good life and to be treated with love & respect? although sounds like your kid would suffer even more so cuz you would just be too worried what people think of YOU than to help the kid.

October 11, 2010 at 10:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Max

Sarcasm On –
    It's so sad how much evil progress our human civilization has made in the past century. People are living longer healthier lives... this is clearly due to the toxins building up in our environment. We should purify ourselves, stop vaccinations, and limit our lifespans. After all we know close to nothing about what really causes Autism, so we should do everything we can to make things like they were centuries ago. Back then autistic kids were just weird, instead of Autistic.
    Sarcasm Off.

Get real people. The sooner we stop buying into evidence-less mythologies the sooner we can help our scientists find a real cause, and apply science to reduce, prevent, or even cure it.

October 11, 2010 at 10:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. momof ASD

I love my daughter very much and I have fought very hard for her and will ALWAYS fight for her. If you had any idea what that entails you would not say that I'm lazy – it's a never ending battle just for people to treat her decently – not to mention all the doctors appts and therapies. I hope the person that choses to have a kid with you knows that you would not keep a precious child like this. You and that person would be missing out

October 11, 2010 at 11:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Valerie

This is interesting. My oldest son was born, had jaundice for about a week or less after coming home from the hospital. My daughter did not. However, I have always attributed that to being a new mom with my son, not breastfeeding until we got home (they fed him that horrible liquid formula samples from Similac or whoever with all the bisphenol-A in it). With my daughter, she did not go to the nursery and was breast fed right away. So my son has PDD NOS and my daughter has nothing as far as I know (she's almost 5 so if she was on the spectrum it should have shown up by now). The only problem with these statistics within my family is that girls are 4-5 times less likely to be on the spectrum, so if she was a boy we'd have a better glimpse into whether breastfeeding was a factor for helping with jaundice or avoiding having an ASD. I'm having another boy in three months, so hopefully no jaundice, and hopefully no ASD. I have been on a strict diet of no canned food, no artificial sweeteners, no HFCS, etc... I'm really trying to eliminate all other reasons for this one to end up on the AS.

October 11, 2010 at 11:16 | Report abuse | Reply
    • proudmomof3

I didn't breast feed with my first one because he didn't know how to.. He was bottle fed.. However my second one, a boy, was breast fed and he still started showing signs of Autism.. I knew what to look for since our first son has it so I was able to get him early intervention and he is now a typical little boy.. Yes it is less likely for a girl to get it but our daughter wasn't breast fed and she is a typical little girl.. I know with all my heart there is something in their little brains that can't develop normally for some reason.. Just wish they could figure out why.. Congrats on new baby!!

October 11, 2010 at 16:52 | Report abuse |
    • Meme

Valerie,
      i havevtwo healthy girls. No known fam history of ASD but wanted to contribute to jaundice info.
      Both girls breast fed. 1st sever. Bilirubin and bililights and too many foot punctures for testing. Education and two years later for second girl, I noted combined feeding type on hospital admit papers. I immediately breast fed second child and kept to that for 12 hours. After 12 hours I nursed and also gave the 2oz nursettes in hospital. She had a nursette a day at three by discharge. I wanted more liquids to clear her bilirubin and she was not repeatedly stuck for blood test. I'll do the same with next child. Just wanted to share to provide acway to keep bilirubin levels down. After home back to breastfeeding only. God bless you, your fam and your special child.

October 11, 2010 at 17:17 | Report abuse |
  21. roadtorecovery

I don't think jaundice causes autism, but do believe that a more severe case of jaundice could be a RED flag that this particular child has a harder time detoxifying than others. I was told after 1 week to begin alternating breast and bottle feeding because his levels weren't going down. And after 2 weeks was told to stop breastfeeding all together. My little guy's body was trying to tell me that he has a harder time detoxifying and I wasn't smart enough to know that 4 years ago. Mom's of these children can be informed to give only 1 vaccine at a time – and maybe spread a little farther apart - instead of the insane amount my son received. At three different pediatrician visits he had 4, 4 and 5 vaccines at one time. I feel like I certainly failed in protecting him and am now working feverishly to recover him. I don't know if giving fewer vaccines will have changed the outcome – but the "what if's" that continually haunt me EVERY DAY will always break my heart.

October 11, 2010 at 11:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Mark

Geez Dude ! Love the conspiracy theory.

October 11, 2010 at 12:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Worried Mom

The title reads that it may signal increased risk – but i dont get what the point is of identifying it earlier if there is nothing anyone can do about it

October 11, 2010 at 12:33 | Report abuse | Reply
    • proudmomof3

Children can be diagnosed with Autism as early as 18 months old.. Probably even earlier.. My second child was showing signs and I got him the therapy and like I said in my other post, he is now a typical little boy.. Shows NO signs of Autism at all.. Early intervention is very important as long as the doctor will help you and not blow it off like what was done with my first child that is now severe Autistic..

October 11, 2010 at 16:48 | Report abuse |
    • Valerie

It's true, early intervention can make a world of difference. My son started going to a special preschool at age 3. At that time, I wasn't sure if he would ever talk, but he made so much progress right at that time and continues to. At age 8, he can read and do math better than most of the students in his class, and he does talk normally, however, he still has some social impairments as well as sensory issues. But I can't imagine how much worse he would be without going to school starting at that very young age. Before that we had a speech therapist come and work with him twice a month, but it wasn't enough. He needed to be immersed in another environment with a lot more interaction with other children and special education instructors.

October 11, 2010 at 17:06 | Report abuse |
  24. proudmomof3

It is people like T up above that make it difficult for our special children.. Sometimes I think my son has it made not having a worry in the world.. I adore him and he is amazingly bright and so funny.. He puts a smile on my face every day.. Nothing melts a mom's heart more than when I am shedding a tear and he comes up and says Mommom are you ok? and then wipes my tear away.. That is NOT an idiot!!!!!!

October 11, 2010 at 17:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Mandrake

SERIOUSLY~???????? unvaccinated children do not get vaccinated children sick. Why is that so hard to understand.... If someone is going to get sick it's the child that hasn't been vaccinated. SO, if your child is vaccinated you have nothing to worry about.

October 11, 2010 at 20:16 | Report abuse | Reply
    • MAC

The issue is that there are age restrictions for vaccinations, an example would be Whooping Cough. A newborn is not immediately vaccinated, and therefore relies on what is called "herd immunity". This implies that when the community is vaccinated there is nobody that can harbor the disease, there by providing the newborn with no possibility of contracting the disease.

October 12, 2010 at 15:06 | Report abuse |
  26. Tiredmomof4

My ONLY full term child had jaundice (all 4 of my kids did) and he's no where near the spectrum. My youngest has a genetic condition called 16p11.2 duplication which is his reason for being on the spectrum. Why aren't we looking more into... genetics and the possibility of children being on the spectrum as a result of a micro-duplication or deletion? Why are we wasting time on studies like this that aren't going to do anything but make new moms freak out about the possibility of autism when their newborns have jaundice? First it was the MMR shot and now it's going to be this! Why not look into what therapies work better with kids who have autism now? Autism is the new "it" thing.

October 12, 2010 at 10:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Guest

Autism is a vitamin D deficiency disease.

Read the Vitamin D Theory of Autism, the only theory that has predicted EVERY new research finding regarding this curse.

October 12, 2010 at 11:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Fred

The drug companies really dont give a damn, they make money. There is also a possible conspiracy of population control, not just in shots but in our food, and everything around us. They are giving way too many shots to a newborn when they first come into the world. At least delay some of the shots and give the poor kid time to gain strength! Dr Mercola says a lot about vaccines including flue shots check him out. I quite taking flu shots years ago and now take vitamin D3 instead.

January 7, 2012 at 11:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Fred

January 7, 2012 at 11:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. vicki

i would just like to say u dnt know who 2bleave my son has just turned a year old and had jaundice when he was a baby as a said hes over a year now and his full body colour is yellow and docs keep telling me its nothing to worrie about they dont get the point we are worried my son is still the same colour and docs wont even take blood tests or nothing its pure neglect.

January 18, 2012 at 13:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. vps gia re, dich vu vps, share vps, vps free, free vps, buy vps online, vps vip, vps khung, vps pro, gia re vps, ban vps, mua vps

I loved as much as you'll obtain carried out proper here. The cartoon is tasteful, your authored subject matter stylish. however, you command get bought an impatience over that you wish be turning in the following. ill surely come more until now again as exactly the same nearly a lot ceaselessly within case you defend this increase.

August 20, 2012 at 18:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Anny

I take a girl with jaundice, each month I’ll send some money for medical expenses, I did not know what that looked like jaundice was in a web page and a known resultaque commented me and adotamos girl and every month we send photos.

March 10, 2013 at 08:49 | Report abuse | Reply