home
RSS
Allergy bullies in school: Your thoughts
September 29th, 2010

Allergy bullies in school: Your thoughts

CNN received a huge response yesterday to the article about kids being bullied for their food allergies.

And more than 70,000 readers responded to a poll on Eatocracy about whether they think schools should make special accommodations for kids with peanut allergies.

Peanuts are one of the more common allergens that cause problems for children, but they are certainly not the only ones that can cause anaphylaxis. Milk, egg, peanut, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, soy, and wheat account for 90 percent of all food allergy reactions, according to the Food Allergy & Anaphyalxis Network. So, while some schools spread awareness by designating "peanut-free tables," that's only one piece of the allergy story - there are plenty of kids with allergies who won't benefit from being isolated from peanuts. But for those who do have severe allergies to peanuts, especially to airborne particles of peanuts, such measures can potentially save lives.

The authors of the bullying study didn't directly address whether kids being picked on for allergies is a recent phenomenon. But reader briz0519 experienced this many years ago:

I am now 23 years old, and I can attest to being bullied because of my peanut allergy. Often times, it was by people who were friends with me but didn't realize how seriously my allergy was. In middle school, I told another student I couldn't be near peanuts during our home economics class, and he proceeded to put it in my face – I ended up swelling up and breaking out and going to the hospital. I am able to manage with my allergy, but I wish parents would teach their kids more about being sensitive to others when they have this allergy.

Goldielover says her district has actually banned peanuts from all its schools. Czarina says her children couldn't bring in peanut or wheat products, and believes "that went TOO FAR. When the majority are negatively impacted we need to find an alternative for the kid[s] at risk."

Meanwhile, readers (melina1004, TimW65, kake79) voiced a different extreme: that children whose allergies are so severe that they can't be around other foods should not be in public school, or should be home-schooled. This sentiment naturally received a lot of backlash from parents who believe children with allergies have just as much right to be in public school as other kids, and should be accommodated appropriately.

THEBaroness writes:

Please understand that I ask for only one accommodation for my son. I ask only that he not be exposed to the thing that could kill him. When I was in school i remember kids with asthma being allowed to sit out during gym. I was never bitter. That is because I had good parents who taught me that as a society we should be tolerant of those with medical problems.

The bottom line is that, beyond school interventions, parents should help their children prevent allergic emergencies by reading ingredients on product labels, avoiding what they are allergic to, and carrying life-saving medication such as an epinephrine auto-injector. As imawoman writes, in the years beyond school, people with allergies must fend for themselves.

Bullying isn't acceptable on any level but if a parent won't teach their kids how to manage their own allergies, then how is the kid going to deal with high school – college – work? Do you think those places will accommodate allergies? Nope. This is coming from a parent whose kids have severe nut allergies.

1. calgary social media marketing

Thank you webmaster for such a meaningful blog post. I am impressed with your view on Allergy bullies in school: Your thoughts – – CNN.com Blogs.

December 6, 2011 at 21:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Affiliate MasterClass

I love your post review, it seems me develop my experience in my blog. I i do hope you keep track of review, I'll follow your update. See upon the following.

January 22, 2012 at 13:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. http://www.sunsetrun.at/defauit.asp?p=35

Yousuf had blamed Malik's shoddy therapy since the cause for his joining the ICL from which he resigned in June in order to make a comeback with the countrywide team.
    http://www.sunsetrun.at/defauit.asp?p=35 http://www.sunsetrun.at/defauit.asp?p=35

November 28, 2013 at 03:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Efren Riskin

I see you put a lot of work in this site! Keep writing!

July 1, 2015 at 18:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. friv

Thanks for sharing this blog.This is very helpful and post free ads post . Free online ads posting sites are very helpful to people who want to save from advertising their business to the whole world. Good work. Please visit this link

January 29, 2018 at 17:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. friv unblocked

An impressive share! I have just forwarded this onto a colleague who had been doing a little homework on this. And he in fact bought me breakfast due to the fact that I found it for him… lol. So allow me to reword this…. Thank YOU for the meal!! But yeah, thanx for spending the time to discuss this subject here on your web page.

February 1, 2018 at 14:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. friv unblocked

For every internet user, all the instruments of this world are of great importance. While the number of internet sites, game sites, news sites and much more have turned into really attractive places in this sense, the number of people using the internet for entertainment purposes is not small at all. Because of this, teenagers and children can enter play sites in their free time and be adventurous with the sweetest characters. These characters, which are very famous and so sympathetic, also take part in friv games. In the world there are sites that collect such games under one roof and offer the best quality options to the players, as well as http://friv.party/ address that offers the best games with the variety of services and offers that they provide within these sites. All the game options in this adress are made up of serious and impressive games.
    Players who enter the site with the friv unblocked option, which attracts all the attention, enjoy playing games. Especially when the most sympathetic characters are chosen and the adventure is a great pleasure, the situation also tastes different emotions from every direction. Excitement, happiness and adrenaline are also experienced. In addition, since there are no annoying advertisements on the pages where all these games are found, parents are aware that their children are having fun in a safe place.
    The friv site, which is prominent with both different and enjoyable game types, gives you the opportunity to have a pleasant time. In addition to that, you can also see the scores that you collect while playing with each other. It can also be seen that similar games are featured on the pages where each game is played. In other words, the most beautiful and sweetest game types are presented to the players. Offering free gaming opportunities, Friv.com is striving to please all children and young people. Now you can have fun as you like.

December 24, 2018 at 08:58 | Report abuse | Reply