home
RSS
September 27th, 2010

Pfizer recalls one type of ThermaCare HeatWraps

A single adverse event that caused a skin injury has led to the voluntary recall of 190,000 ThermaCare HeatWraps in the United States and Puerto Rico, Rick Goulart, a spokesman for the company tells CNN.

One person who had a leaking wrap suffered a skin injury, says Goulart, "so we decided to do the right thing" and issue the voluntary recall.  Goulart said he couldn't release more details citing privacy reasons.

According to a Pfizer press release, only ThermaCare HeatWraps Menstrual with the lot #E06831 and an expiration date of 8/2012 is being recalled.  Other lots or batches of menstrual heat wraps or any of the of the company's other five brands of heat wraps are not affected by this recall.

In the press statement, Pfizer says that it is taking this "precautionary step, after finding a potential for a leak of the components contained in the wrap, which could cause skin injury such as irritation or burn."

These heat wraps are placed on the skin and transfer heat to soothe sore or cramping muscles or tendons.

Consumers who have ThermaCare wraps at home should check the lot number located on the box and the foil pouch.  If they have a wrap from the recalled lot, they are urged to throw it away and call 1-800-323-3383 for a replacement.

1. Philip

Suuuure...She was probably just PMS'ing. ;)

September 27, 2010 at 14:26 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kam

PMS doesn't cause skin burns.

September 27, 2010 at 14:55 | Report abuse |
    • Chuck

As Kam pointed out... it doesn't allow for humor either.

September 27, 2010 at 15:50 | Report abuse |
    • SPuds

Philip – you are an idiot!

September 27, 2010 at 16:07 | Report abuse |
    • Philip

oh spuds, get over it. I was just making a joke.

September 27, 2010 at 17:17 | Report abuse |
  2. Debi Osborne

Therma Care heat pads had burned me twice. Then I read the small print. It stated that caution should be used if over 55, because of thinning of elderly folks skin. It was the best OTC treatment I ever received. But I'm just too old to use it.

September 27, 2010 at 14:31 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Melissa

I've been burned numerous times also and I am only 34. I admit, it feels really nice.. but.. you have to be very careful with them.

September 27, 2010 at 14:49 | Report abuse |
    • A. Nony

It depends on the individual. I'm 73 and use them occasionally for muscle strains after too much tennis or yard work. I use them directly on the skin, and I've never had a problem with them. My only complaint is that they aren't hot enough. (I think they used to be hotter, but there were complaints.) If you find them too hot, wearing them over a Tee-shirt would help.

September 27, 2010 at 14:56 | Report abuse |
    • Nik

I've been burned by them too and I'm in my 30's. I honestly don't think it has anything to do with age. It's just a risk when using these types of things.

September 27, 2010 at 15:12 | Report abuse |
  3. OprahSaysSO

WHAT????? OH MY GAWD!!!!!!!on a very special Oprah......

September 27, 2010 at 14:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. marcia

cry baby!

September 27, 2010 at 14:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Anita

Those thermacare wraps are a godsend. I have 2 herniated discs in my neck, and one of those allows me to sleep when the pain is bad.

September 27, 2010 at 14:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Bull

Sounds like user error.Some people just can't read.

September 27, 2010 at 14:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Almond Mom

Those hearts are awesome. I have one myself. :-)

September 27, 2010 at 15:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Doho

nice name drop...but these aren't use one time and throw away...these things last for 2 years

September 27, 2010 at 15:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Susan Neely

This isn't the only Thermacare that shouldn't be used. I got a very bad burn on my neck in 2002. They paid no attention to my complaint at the time.

September 27, 2010 at 15:10 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Debbie

In 2002, Thermacare was owned by Proctor and Gamble, now it is owned by Pfizer who takes product safety more seriously, now.

October 28, 2010 at 13:16 | Report abuse |
  10. Deana

I was told by my Dr that those heat wraps are not safe... if you have a constant heat it can cause burns.. He told me they were the worst things invented.

September 27, 2010 at 15:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. flhive

I tried their regular heat wrap several years ago and it burnt me quite badly. I've never used them since.

September 27, 2010 at 15:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Scott

The Pic above makes it look like some kind of underwear. Hot pants?

September 27, 2010 at 15:18 | Report abuse | Reply
    • JohnM

According to a Pfizer press release, only ThermaCare HeatWraps Menstrual with the lot #E06831 and an expiration date of 8/2012 is being recalled.

September 27, 2010 at 15:24 | Report abuse |
  13. JohnM

The rule of thumb is you need to be at least 10% smarther than the object you're using.

September 27, 2010 at 15:22 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lake_Orion

Smarther? You're one to talk!

September 27, 2010 at 15:30 | Report abuse |
    • OverNOut

I think John was kiddting.

September 28, 2010 at 08:15 | Report abuse |
  14. Heather

I love this product. I have used the ones for the neck and for menstrual cramps, and they both rock. A bit pricey, but totally worth it. I've never been burned....don't think that could happen to me, as they really don't get that hot. I guess it depends on a person's skin sensitivity.

September 27, 2010 at 15:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Jan

I used one and developed two blisters on my abdomen which left scars. I quit using them after that. They get way too hot.

September 27, 2010 at 15:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Kraig Rasool

Companies that pull their products off the market because of one injury really need to wake up from slumber....The term which sufaced way before my time "One Monkey dont stop no show" should be applied....Its insane this woman could have
    lied and burnt herself in another way....I know some are screamin where is your compasiion for this poor woman....
    Argggh I have none...that went out the door with feelings long ago...I have been numb to this for quite some time...Okay having said that when in pain...be it muscle or strain resort to natural channels of healing such as stretching etc.....

September 27, 2010 at 15:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Randomly Mundane

If you read the instructions, you are NOT supposed to light the things.

September 27, 2010 at 15:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. CDS

Fat will have a tendency to burn.

September 27, 2010 at 15:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. jerrygirl

i've been burned numerous times by these wraps

i have a thing for pain (odd, yes I know) so I like when they burn me in the vaginal area

September 27, 2010 at 16:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. NicM

They've been having burning issues since they came out with these. I tried one out years ago and it was great until I took it off and most of my skin went with it.

September 27, 2010 at 18:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. erica

ThermaCares for the neck have been a nonpharmaceutical Godsend for me. They have never burned me. I also use them on tight leg muscles after cycling or swimming. I love Therma Care.....wish I'd thought of the idea first!

September 27, 2010 at 19:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. upstate

oh come on...read the directions instead of being stoned...
    those thermo deals are great@

September 28, 2010 at 06:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. upstate

HELLO IS ANYONE HOME?

September 28, 2010 at 06:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Hello

I used the ones for menstrual cramps and they are not hot enough!! Didn't help at all

September 28, 2010 at 15:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Judy Colosimo

II had 3rd degree burn on my hip from using Thermacare back heat wrap. It has been 2 months and I still have pain and slow healing. I do not recommend this product.

March 8, 2011 at 11:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Judy Colosimo

I I had 3rd degree burns on my hip after using the Therma Care heat wrap.

March 8, 2011 at 11:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. arlene dion

this product for both neck and back have been used by me for years with no adverse effects. one day in october 2011 I removed the back&hip wrap to find severe burns at every contact point. I always read directions. Ifind it very odd that your product works one day then burns the next. I bought the wraps at costco as usual. kindly tell me what is the problem at your end. january 7, 2012

January 8, 2012 at 00:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Chris

My mother was burned badly from using ThermaCare. She went to the E.R. and was almost admitted because it burned 2 holes in her back. She's still not recovered and under treatment. ThermaCare ingredients are nowhere to be found on the package. This is very, very bad business and Pfizer, of all companies should know better. My mother's back is a mess. She was put on Vicodin. That tells you how bad the burns are.

February 29, 2012 at 16:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Chris

My mother was burned badly from using ThermaCare. She went to the E.R. and was almost admitted because it burned 2 holes in her back. She's still not recovered and under treatment. ThermaCare ingredients are nowhere to be found on the package. This is very, very bad business and Pfizer, of all companies should know better. My mother's back is a mess. She was put on Vicodin. That tells you how bad the burns are and

February 29, 2012 at 16:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. nyx eyeliner

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this post. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me to start my own blog now. nyx makeup

June 23, 2012 at 02:45 | Report abuse | Reply