home
RSS
No end to bedbug infestations
September 20th, 2010

No end to bedbug infestations

Summer may be over, but bedbugs don't seem to have ended their vacation in New York.

Their latest hideout is the 95,000-square-foot Niketown store in the heart of Midtown Manhattan. Nike told CNN the company closed the store because of the presence of bedbugs. A sign posted over the weekend said the story is "temporarily closed until further notice," according to CNN affiliate WABC.

In a major space like that, seven to 10 days of treatment are recommended to eradicate the vermin, says New York Magazine.

The pest control company Terminix has rated New York the number one bed bug city, according to WABC.

Elsewhere, bedbugs are going back to school: at Lehigh University, four dorm rooms were found to have bedbugs, CNN affiliate WFMZ reported Friday. Those rooms are being treated, Lehigh officials told WFMZ.

Hotel owners and guests alike are freaked out by the possibility of bedbugs. The horror stories are building up on websites such as The Bed Bug Registry and BedBugReports.com.

The bugs leave behind itchy bite marks on the skin, and some people have allergies to them. Bedbugs tend to live within 8 feet of where humans sleep, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

That means that if you're a hotel guest, bedbugs can get in your suitcases and come home with you, says Howard Russell, entomologist with diagnostic services at Michigan State University. You might want to consider keeping your luggage in garbage bags to prevent bedbugs from becoming stowaways.

It's not as easy as just waiting for the critters to die, since bedbugs can live for one year without eating.

Check out this video to find out what the government is doing to combat the problem.

1. itsozzy

The secret to killing them is to spray raid in the house 3 hours straight, flood the bed with raid. Sleep there on the spot, those bugs wont dare bite you anymore, cuz u already dead

September 20, 2010 at 22:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Health Conscious

The solution is simple. Keep your luggage as far as possible from the bed, and before going to bed spray your entire body thoroughly with Raid.

September 20, 2010 at 22:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. izzy

i resent all these hateful comments about my race. we need to make a living too. we will conquer you.

September 20, 2010 at 23:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Uday

Some time back in Canada, I faced the problem of bedbugs. After several experiments, I found that they die instantly when they come in contact with Tide Soap (Soap powder).
    I mixed the powder in water and sprayed it over the wooden floor and cleaned. I washed cloths, bed sheets in tide.

I found use of Tide better than use of chemicals.

September 21, 2010 at 00:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. dbzl

Tore out the carpets, vacuumed the flooring, had bug killers come in, and then vacuumed again. I'm still scared

September 21, 2010 at 01:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Joe

govt. should seriously focus on developing a solution to this growing menace, we need a product that we can use that can eradicate these suckers in one go instead of the constant night mare that people are living with, please don't make this a business and make people wait since this is causing a significant impact to normal lives of numerous people and we need to stop this now.

September 21, 2010 at 01:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Joe

people whatever is the cause whole America is infested with these and we need a solution that we can use that quickly eradicates these suckers in a day by spraying some chemicals or something else.

September 21, 2010 at 01:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Rob

I suggest that you take a good flashlight with you and if you can't see close up, reading glasses or a magnifying glass.
    Pull the bed sheets up and check under the mattress, edges and folds. If they are there, you should see something. I
    hate those things. Never had them as far as I know.

September 21, 2010 at 01:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Joe

CNN should cover this in the mainstream media until we find a solution, this menace is horrible having gone through it and still going through it, the emotional and pyscological pain you will have due to bed bugs is unimaginable.

Need a solution that works quickly and effectively, i don't mind using controlled DDT if it eradicates the bugs in a one go.

September 21, 2010 at 01:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Phil

I saw on TV exterminators using freezing co2 gas sprayed all over

September 21, 2010 at 02:03 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bill

Does not work, heat is much better, but even that is not fool proof none of the treatments are fool proof not even the dogs.

September 21, 2010 at 14:23 | Report abuse |
  11. Deepwater805

You got rats on the west side
    Bed bugs uptown
    What a mess, this towns in tatters, I've been shattered....

September 21, 2010 at 04:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. John

Nike's new slogan: "Just scratch it"

September 21, 2010 at 04:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. John

Nike's new slogan, "Just scratch it"

September 21, 2010 at 04:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Jon R. Patrick

I remember my mom telling me "Don't let the bedbugs bite", and I always thought they were myths – like that monster in my closet.
    Then a couple of years ago I got them – took me weeks to figure out what was going on.
    Then I got them again! The first time was moving into an apartment, the second after an overseas trip. They hard to spot, and harder to get rid of.
    Afterwards I started a blog on my experience, and the best product I found that gave me the knowledge and plan to get rid of them.

September 21, 2010 at 05:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Hun Cho

Bedbugs are really nasty creepy little creatures that tend to sneak out as soon as you turn the lights off and lie on to your bed.. It wasn't there before that you turn the switch off! Some of these biting blood suckers are so small that they're even hardly distinguishable with some dust or stains, not moving at all.. To me before I knew about their presence and nastiness, it just looked like an ignorable, harmless small insect..or sort of.. My first encounter with very irritating bedbugs was in the State of Georgia, where i was checking in and out of luxurious or not so high quality hotel rooms for summer vacationing.
    Some of the better standard hotels, usually experience less episodes of bedbug infestation than other budget Inns or motels, since they better grip pest control at their hands, and many of them don't allow any pets, or street people into their rooms to make sure their rooms don't get infested by carry on. I wonder if their sizes are bigger, their bite also nastier?

How come i can't find, or don't encounter bedbugs in let's say, Korea? Do these creatures survive in specific geographical areas only? Show me their geographic spread, preferably on map, or regions they can be found..

September 21, 2010 at 11:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. American Mattress

Concerned about bed bugs? Visit us here http://www.americanmattress.com/ for Protect-A-Bed the best mattress protection around.

September 21, 2010 at 11:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Finnjaf

Got them in April. Finally got rid of them in June. Hired a pest control company. Waste of money. Spend your money on beg bug sniffing dog – best thing I did and I threw away two beds that day. Those were the only places he scratched which indicted where they were. The bugs do hate alcohol and they don’t like the poison powder formerly known as Drione Dust. You can get this on amazon. They are awful and you need to de-clutter and vacuum like a crazy person. The bed bug sniffing dog owner told me they can be found in clock radios, Xboxes, train platforms – pretty much EVERYWHERE. I estimated I have spent around around $3000 getting rid of them and buying new beds. The dog was $325 and the dog was worth every penny !

September 21, 2010 at 11:46 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bill

Did you have the dog come back after you threw the beds away? Cuz I would bet you dropped one on the floor on the way out of the house which means you won't know it for about 3 months, unless you get that dog in again.

September 21, 2010 at 14:20 | Report abuse |
  18. Bill

I am in pest control and I think it's great to have bedbugs again I am making a fortune. But if you want to know who to thank for it. You can thank the whiners who think pesticides are bad. Pesticides are one of the leading reasons are life span has increased. But you don't have to believe me just wait til the Black Plague Makes a resounding comeback. I can't wait

September 21, 2010 at 14:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Bill

To address all of the posts in this thread: Bedbugs are a parasite they eat blood, you are their primary source of food, they will attack a dog or a cat or a bird if the they are the only food source. Dogs are not 100% fool proof, especially in an apartment building setting, They must be directly hit with the cold treatments to kill them which makes these treatments inneffective, heat treatments work well but again not fool proof especially in an apartment complex, pesticide treatments require multiple visits, and because people cry about the use of pesticides we have really only one type, pyrethroids, which bedbugs are becoming immune to. DDT has never been shown to cause any ill effects in Humans, ass wipes. The problem started with the wealthy because of over seas travel, you don't have to be dirty to get them, because a bedbug egg is the size of a piece of dust you will not know you have them for at least 3 months, even if you have a dog inspect. Soapy water will kill any insect because they breath through their skin, spraying them with soapy water or an oil based spray like raid cuts off their breathing and they die. But no matter what you use they have to be sprayed directly residual pesticides have limited effect. Organic sprays like cinnamon oil sends them deeper into walls making your neighbor really pissed. Flea bombs will send them deeper into walls, If you isist on using a pesticide yourself read the label some products cannot be applied to mattresses. As of right now, there is nothing truly effective or fool proof on the market, in the next 5 years you or somoeone you know will have them. People who have strong feelings toward pesticides, ie: bored housewives, candyass "men", I hope they eat you alive, because it's people like you who are the primary reason they are back and your the primary reason there has been an increase in the number of cases of the black plague in the U.S.

September 21, 2010 at 15:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. RealCreature

Just how hard is it for illegal immigrant maintenance and housekeeping workers to spread a few bedbugs around while they're doing their jobs? If this is an intentional spread then it is "zoological warfare". Why would Mexican drug cartels want the entire US to be infested with bedbugs? Are they flexing their muscle to show the US just how much control they have over all the Mexicans living in the US? Is this how they take over the US: THREAT OF BEDBUGS?

September 21, 2010 at 19:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Thomas

God made man and all creatures for the good of Man. He also created Holy Spirits but Lucifer disobeyed and turned into the Devil. Man disobeyed God and he was thrown out of Paradise to earth where all these critters are meant to cause pain to remind us of our disobedience. This should not be, because Noah forgot to swat the fly and the bedbugs.

September 22, 2010 at 03:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. amy

I found out we had bed bugs when I untied my baby's crib bumpers and bed bugs crawled all over my hands as I was untying the knots. We looked back and remembered staying in a hotel where we were woken by bugs crawling all over us. We did not know about bed bugs then. We had to move ourselves and two small children out of our house for 7 days. I think pesticides are dangerous, but we didn't have much of a choice. The exterminator came and covered the house with spray. My dad and husband went over every inch of the house with a vacuum to get the eggs, which are not killed by bug spray. Every drawer, baseboard, nook and cranny was not left untreated. All our linens and clothing in drawers had to be washed. We had a wooden Indonesia bed that had to be taken apart and left in the attic, so it would get hot enough to kill the bugs that were all over it. it was very freaky to see them crawling on my daughter!!

September 22, 2010 at 12:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Sylvia

I purchased $2000 worth of top of the line furniture for my children that came with Bed Bugs. we noticed a funny smell but thought it was because it was new. I didn't buy mattress' the ones they had were in very good condition. The bed's foot board housed the bed bugs. From Home line industries. It cost me about $1000 to get rid of them. Nightmare! bug spray doesn't help they are worse than roaches!!!

September 22, 2010 at 12:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. O-O

If Niketown closed down because of bed bugs, that means the employees have them at home, the customers that came in probably took a few in the shoe boxes or attached to their clothing from just being there.

Niketown won't eradicate the problem, because in a few months, who's to say an employee or customer or neighboring business, tenant has a bed bug problem.

I hope that the news media will continue to cover this problem so that the public can take it more seriously.

And to those really ignorant people that blame this on illegal immigrants, this problem is a world wide problem that originated and probably will be discovered to be an infestation re-introduced by people traveling to Europe.

If it were really a problem from your fellow American's south of the border, you'd have a worse kind of bed bug like bug that flies. Count yourselves lucky and get informed instead of making a bug a basis for racist, xenophobic misinformation.

September 22, 2010 at 16:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Brad

Me as well as my family had issues with bedbugs until we looked into a insecticide called cedarcide it took care of them all in three separate households. No reason for repeat application as long as you do it right the first time. It is pricey but well worth it

September 25, 2010 at 00:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. manicdrummer

CHANGE YOUR BED SHEETS MORE OFTEN, YOU TASTY MUNCHKINS!!!! You'd think these kids' moms would've taught them something about the importance of maintaining hygiene in the bedroom. No, Junior and Princess think they can go for weeks without changing the linens. And eventually, the wet spot in the middle gets more and more rancid and...you know the rest.

September 29, 2010 at 16:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Lurking once

Most of the silly posters on this site deserve bedbugs. Get a life.

September 30, 2010 at 09:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. ChipH

I'd like to see bug scientists transplant Varroa mites from honeybees to bed bugs.

If they can splice jellyfish into florescent green pigs, then create Varroa bedbugus.

As far as sprays, it won't work: En.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradox_of_the_pesticides

September 30, 2010 at 21:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. ChipH

Hey, bedbugs are G-d's reminder to US that we have not been successful eradicating the Republican filibuster protecting the Broker-Bankster diversion of our life savings into the Wall Street gambling mosh pits, then dumping its detritus on FDIC for our children to pick up the tab on, those same Republicans proposing ZERO taxes for their horrid Broker-Bankster Protection Racket.

September 30, 2010 at 21:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. JimZ885

Wasn't it U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder, and Reverend Al Sharpton, that vehemently sued Arizona over SB1070, and haven't the incumbent politicians in D.C. stalled and even lashed out at the mere concept of even finishing the border fence with Mexico and sealing up all its abundant holes and gaps that allow easy 24-7 access? The incumbent federal politicians angrily refuse to finish the border fence or do anything else to stop illegal immigration, even when bed bugs will likely be keeping them, their own wives, and kids up itching hot all night. As the voters if we can't erradicate the bed bugs maybe we should replace the politicians with some that love their own sleep like we do. If Obama doesn't replace his crazy and bizzare thinking attorney general the voters might replace him with his presidential challenger come 2012. Next thing you know Eric Holder and Al Sharpton are so looney they'll be claiming bed bugs have Constitutional rights and sue anyone that itches one off their own body. And now they're saying the bed bugs can carry and transmit the Hepatitus B virus. I suppose the Washington D.C. politicians care more about keeping the border fence porous and open than guarding themselves, their colleagues, and their own families from bed bug bites and a subsequent Hepatitus B virus pandemic nationwide.

October 1, 2010 at 06:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Jess

Who is the wack job that blames it on global warming? Get a grip, it deals with immigration, keep the people out and we won't have this problem!

October 4, 2010 at 17:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Jess

By the way..............global warming is a made up scare tactic! Why would I worry about what happens in 3 billion years! Wow! Live in the present!

October 4, 2010 at 18:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. mudasir

Any decent enterprise will have more than one source of revenue. The affiliate programs you mention are the perfect suppliment and some well written testimonials will make these pay dividens.

October 5, 2010 at 01:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. caraschotch

Here's a small but encouraging story: I recently came back to my eastern Canada home from trips to Vancouver, BC, Portland, Oregon, Ashland, Oregon, and Buffalo, NY. I had been thoroughly terrified by reading everything I could find on the 'net about bedbugs. While gone, I stayed in three varied hotels. In each I asked about bedbugs befotre I checked in, and each hotel reassured me that they had no problem. I did my own check and spent some anxious nights, but I escaped unscathed and did not bring anything home with me. I have read since that despite the horror stories, it is still more likely than not that you will have a bug-free stay in US hotels. Good luck everyone!

October 5, 2010 at 04:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. James Kolfax

Niketown closed due to infestation...7 to 10 days to eradicate the vermin.

Who would have thought that the mighty power of American corporate capitalism could be brought down by bed bugs? How many millions of dollars will Phil Knight lose on this little setback? Goddamn commie insects! I bet they vote democrat.

October 5, 2010 at 11:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Rose

I disagree with the person who said bedbugs cannot be seen by the naked eye...yes, they can. We found them recently on a mattress [after dtr. had stayed at a motel]. We caught some on sticky tape to show the exterminator & he verified they were bedbugs. What an ordeal...everything had to be sprayed; they had infested the bedsprings, so we just got a new mattress/bedsprings; tons of stuff from that bedroom had to be washed just in case, etc.

October 11, 2010 at 01:23 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Argiro

Rose – Right ON – of course they can be seen. I've seen them twice. Had exterminator last week and saw on today!!! This is not fun.

October 11, 2010 at 14:51 | Report abuse |
  37. Argiro

Chicago – recent Bed Bug infestation in Condo building. Management is not mandating that every have exterminating treatments. Does this sound right? If one or two units have bugs can one assume that they will travel to other units? All comments welcome.

October 11, 2010 at 14:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Stephanie Estes

It got so bad here in VA. I can relate. My husband brought home these monsters. We lived with them for a year. We finally found a all natural product that works.. We have pets so we were deeply concerned about chemicals. So if you are looking for something to KILL them. Go to http://www.NaturalProductsDM.com ... The powder actually penetrates the shells of these creatures and then once inside them it dehydrates them. The site will explain everything. Oh we had to use it twice because of the 2nd life cycle. But after suffering for a year.. and another 6 months of treatments we are finally bed bug FREE!! THE WAR IS WON!!!

December 10, 2010 at 15:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Wafaa Khoury Kama

So that you believe getting the house plagued by mattress pesky insects will be undesirable, psychologically along with bodily challenging and way too pricey. Well this is a level worse indication which could hurt you ...bed bug treatment

February 27, 2012 at 04:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Wagner Ferreira da Costa

There are numerous sorts of pesticide sprays you can find, that happen to be really successful to fight the particular bedbugs ; yet cause some dangerous health risks. For that reason ...Bed Bug Treatment

March 7, 2012 at 07:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. BillJ

I remember reading that they are attracted to the CO2 in your breath and that dry ice can be used as bait because it is frozen CO2.

If you buy some dry ice, put it in a bowl and leave it sitting out by or under your bed overnight. Wouldn't the bed bugs be more attracted to the ice then a human? If so, take it a step further and surround the bowl with 2-sided duct tape to trap the little pests.

Dry ice is not really that expensive and you wouldn't need a lot of it. It won't get rid of the problem but it should help people to get a couple good nights of sleep. Any thoughts on this?

August 31, 2012 at 22:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. Ulysses Hartz

In the UK, following concern about animal welfare, humane pest control and deterrence is gaining ground through the use of animal psychology rather than destruction. For instance, with the urban Red Fox which territorial behaviour is used against the animal, usually in conjunction with non-injurious chemical repellents. In rural areas of Britain, the use of firearms for pest control is quite common. ,..,:

My very own web page <http://healthwellnesslab.com/

July 1, 2013 at 02:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. northeasternexterminating

Hello all, my name is joseph molluso and i own a pest control business in brooklyn new york. Ever since the bed bug craze of 2006 our phones have been ringing off the hook daily with bed bug related questions. I think in recent day we have noticed less calls, but only because people are becoming more aware of what to do when it comes to bed bugs. There is a lot more information on line these days. Unfortuantely much of it is exaggerated and incorrect. We welcome any questions to our office and always try to help out fellow new yorkers as well as people from all over the country. Visit http://www.bedbugs-brooklyn.com and click on the contact us link and ask any bed bug questions you may have. We will answer when ever we are not busy. These bugs are draining for people and its always good to have someone to refer to.

July 5, 2013 at 20:33 | Report abuse | Reply