home
RSS
September 17th, 2010

How do I put my 11-year-old on a diet?

Every weekday, a CNNHealth expert doctor answers a viewer question. On Friday, it's Dr. Melina Jampolis, a physician nutrition specialist.

Question asked by Asked by Lisa

How do I put my 11-year-old daughter on a diet? She is 50 pounds overweight, though she only looks about 20 pounds over. She has a lot of muscle. She plays sports year-round.

She is a picky, picky eater. She has asked to go on a diet, but I don't think that an 11-year-old should, even though it's unhealthy to be so overweight. I have told her she will need to give up sweetened drinks, sweet snacks and white bread products.

Any other ideas that will not be too drastic but will show results?

Expert answer

Hi Lisa. I answered your question a couple of months ago but I received some excellent feedback from pediatric endocrinologist Craig Rudlin MD, FAAP, so I wanted to expand on my answer and make a slight correction based on the information that Dr. Rudlin provided.

A 2005 paper from the Pediatric Endocrine Society about childhood obesity suggested a more aggressive approach based on the associated health complications of overweight children, including high cholesterol, high blood pressure and pre-diabetes.

Specifically, for children with a BMI (body mass index– here's a calculator) of 85-95 percent, rather than focusing on weight maintenance, as I previously stated, the paper recommends "a modified diet with decreased sedentary activities."

They go on to recommend an even "more aggressive approach toward children and adolescents with BMI at or above the 95th percentile or in less obese children who suffer metabolic, orthopedic, or cardiopulmonary complications and/or psychological distress."

Dr. Rudlin, who treats overweight and obese children, says the weight loss goal should be about 1 pound per week, and that some older children and teens can safely lose 2 pounds per week.

When I expressed concerns about losing weight while children are still growing, he explained that a nutrient dense, portion-controlled diet, which he advocates rather than avoiding any particular food group, could actually improve growth.

"If they are eating a balanced diet of all five food groups, they are getting all the nutrients, protein, calcium, vitamins they need and the weight loss is from the loss of adipose tissue, which is desirable."

He also suggested measuring height every three months if this is a concern.

Regarding my suggestion to eat more vegetables, he suggested that I emphasize that parents try to increase their children's consumption of non-starchy vegetables, especially green vegetables.

If your child refuses to eat vegetables, try to re-introduce foods over the years as taste buds change. It is also critical to be a good role model and consume a variety of vegetables yourself on a regular basis.

In addition to my previous suggestions, which included eating breakfast daily, increasing fiber intake and limiting juice consumption, here are a few more suggestions from the childhood obesity consensus paper that I think would be useful for you to adopt as a family to support your daughter's weight loss efforts.

1. Eat meals as a family in a fixed place and time.

2. Do not skip meals, especially breakfast.

3. No TV during meals.

4. Use small plates and keep serving dishes away from the table.

5. Avoid unnecessary sweet or fatty foods and soft drinks.

6. Remove televisions from children's bedrooms; restrict times for TV viewing and video games.

And finally, although you mentioned that your daughter was very active in sports, make sure that she gets at least 60 minutes per day of exercise per the latest exercise guidelines for children.

In case you need the reference, here is the consensus statement regarding childhood obesity.

1. Lady Bug

Hi I'm sory about your obesity! I'm eleven and I weigh 140 pounds! I need to loose 40 pounds to be healthy! Help!

May 28, 2015 at 08:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Shayne Tompsett

The Fat Burning Kitchen – Foods that Burn Fat http://www.fsohq.com/fat-burning-kitchen

August 9, 2015 at 01:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Anonymous

HEYYYY

August 10, 2015 at 23:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Leonardo Chargois

There are 3 main reasons why wheat is a terrible food for your body and does more harm than good… http://www.fsohq.com/fat-burning-kitchen

October 2, 2015 at 13:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Kymiyah

What should she eat everyday

November 21, 2015 at 22:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Marin Urbani

February 20, 2016 at 12:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Carmela Roselius

I greatly enjoyed this post! I can tell you really care about what you are writing about, which is a rare thing these days. I see a lot of authors just putting up quick junk, which is unfortunate. I wish you well, and thank you again for taking the time to write this!

March 6, 2016 at 10:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. ashutosh

My 17 year old son feel sickness too much ,70 kg weight, irritation in eyes , fatty body ,short height
    & my 11th year old son has less imiunity .don't take full diet please suggest me

April 28, 2016 at 00:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Skyler Jackson

IT IS NOT EASY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 8, 2016 at 12:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. weight loss apps free for women

Venus Factor exercise everyday and i'm still not fit ,belly fat

July 12, 2016 at 07:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. swapna

ow can a 11 year old girl can get slim

September 5, 2016 at 10:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Unknown

hi im a 11 year old girl i don't know how much i weigh but its somewhere in the 100's how can i get thin for pe

October 9, 2016 at 18:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. mother of 11

what should they eat

January 23, 2017 at 10:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. farah sohail

my daughter is not weak or watch to much t.v but she am still fat .she is 11 year old how can i reduce her weight. she has 30 weight .

January 27, 2017 at 07:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Nathan Tumaneng

I think this is one of the most important information for me. And i’m glad reading your article. But should remark on some general things, The website style is perfect, the articles is really nice : D. Good job, cheers

January 29, 2017 at 20:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. gwstanley

I don't agree:

January 31, 2017 at 22:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. シャネル財布スーパーコピー

迅速な対応の上、情報量も多かったので、とても安心できました。梱包もすごく丁寧で美しさを感じました。
    配送も早くて驚きました。ありがとうございました。
    また、利用したいと思います。

October 29, 2017 at 23:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Maria Oflahrity

Great stuff. More! More! MORE! You should check out Nexlevol Power Notes too. I start every day with them and they're awesome.

December 2, 2017 at 23:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Yasuko Dinwoodie

45 minutes and it&#;2178s been 3 hours, but I did it. Yay me! I did a medium impact aerobics video that I have. Three times a week, right? So one down, two to go…Most impoprtant point is choosing words

deal79.com

September 14, 2018 at 03:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Lazaro Rosenkoetter

Using this hair iron, you could really feel the difference ofMost impoprtant point is choosing words

September 16, 2018 at 06:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Mei Markie

"Hi, my name is NAME and I agree with this post. I even made a video about this issue a while ago. Anyway, I'm not necessarily into posting comments but your post just happened to grab my attention there in the sidebar, while I was browsing through."

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppMH6nxdyNk&w=640&h=360]