home
RSS
September 15th, 2010

Stand Up To Cancer raises $80 million

Stand Up to Cancer announced today that it raised $80 million following the September 10th telethon, which aired on all four major broadcast networks and 14 cable networks.

CNN's Chief Medical Correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta participated in the event, shining light on research into innovative new treatments such as a brain cancer vaccine, and epigenetic therapies.

Editors Note: You can find more information on Stand Up to Cancer and the research they are funding at standup2cancer.org

1. Eggs

Cancer is 100% preventable. We can thank big business for killing millions of people every year by polluting our air, food, and water supply. Certain technologies play a part as well. Want to cure cancer? Fix our environment and break down corrupt businesses. Simple.

September 15, 2010 at 17:24 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Cancer Survivor

Seriously!!!! You think it is 100% preventable-wow-Chronic myelogenous leukemia is cancer that starts inside bone marrow, the soft tissue inside bones that helps form blood cells. The cancer grows from cells that produce white blood cells. Yes this is what I had-so please tell me how that could have been prevented because maybe today I would be able to wash my hair- ties my shoes, lift my arms past my chest level- all cause by GVHD (I doubt you have to look it up since your an expert) caused from CML and having a bone marrow transplant. I was 30- 33 now and was in good shape, ate good, worked out everyday-my Grandmother died of cancer so yes please explain after watching someone die from it and not wanting that to happen to you or anyone else in the family how it could have been avoided. Honestly some people such as yourself should not talk or post. And think about it little babies and children get CML daily-so how could they have prevented it. Don't talk until you walk a mile in other peoples shoes and experience it first hand. To this day I am glad it was me and not my family members who got this because if I had to watch my nephew undergo chemo and lose his hair it would be to much. But I guess me and the other people who got whatever type of cancer did something wrong..Honestly this freedom of speech card it played out and your proof of that :\

September 17, 2010 at 05:17 | Report abuse |
  2. Andrew

Cancer is big business.

September 15, 2010 at 17:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Steve from Earth

Many foods are powerhouses when it comes to antioxidants. Research those for cancer prevention. You will never hear this from your doctor because they don't want us to be well. It puts them out of business!

September 15, 2010 at 17:30 | Report abuse | Reply
    • CR

Exactly. I feel like there is more effective, more natural cancer treatment out there, our doctors just don't want us to know about it. That's why we have to take good care of ourselves, we can't expect them to do it! 🙂

September 16, 2010 at 09:01 | Report abuse |
    • Anne

That is legitimately the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Doctors are in the business of helping, not sucking out your money. If you knew anything about cancer, you'd realize that its not preventable, they are mutations that genetically happen in your body, sometimes they may be accelerated by carcinogens, but there are also millions of people who get cancer every year, who live an extremely healthy lifestyle just by unfortunate chance. Yes there are things we can do to help prevent cancer but much of it in inevitable.

September 16, 2010 at 10:13 | Report abuse |
    • CR

And if you knew anything about the health care industry, you'd know that doctors loooove to suck money out of people. Please. I work in health insurance. I see it all day, every day.

September 16, 2010 at 14:01 | Report abuse |
  4. Glen

Put the 80 million into billboards and erect them throughout this nation to inform people of natural alternative cancer treatments available that have been supressed by the Drug dealing scum pharmacuticle companies. Some for just pennies (Budwig protocol) that have been efective and saved many people that the establishment sent home to die. (After they bleed them of there life savings ) It is sad to think that many of our loved ones are suffering and dying due to the filthy greed of this scum.

Take back your health and educate yourself and your loved ones.

September 15, 2010 at 22:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Kevin F

cancer is not 100% preventable. if you think pollution to our air, food, and water supply are the only reasons for cancer occuring then your delusional.

September 16, 2010 at 09:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. compassmd

Money is money. Cancer research requires work hours to solve. We could probably throw all the money in the world at cancer research, and it'd still only go as fast as the researchers can work.

September 16, 2010 at 09:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Cheryl Eckl

Sometimes cancer just seems to happen, even when you do everything right. We think my husband's colon cancer was genetic. What is so important is realizing that you have choices in how much treatment you accept, what kind, and for how long. I have written a series of blogs on "What No One Tells You" when you're dealing with terminal cancer. http://www.abeautifuldeath.net/blog

September 16, 2010 at 13:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Don

Help cancer victims with information they need to fight cancer by voting for the funding of new, rich content site: http://www.chemo101.com The funding to create this much needed site is hoped to come from Pepsi's Refresh campaign, to the tune of $250,000. But it needs your vote. Go to chemo101.com, push on the button and take a couple of minutes to vote. Vote often until Sept. 30.

September 21, 2010 at 19:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. chekflow

$60 million. Good for them. But it should be noted that Stand Up To Cancer with the "Big" stars like Matt Damon, Samuel Jackson, Seth Rogen, Michael Douglas, Gwyneth Paltroe & Emma Stone,are all folks who are ardent liberals and all show disdain and utter contempt for anyone who is Republican or Conservative.

They ALL HATE the Koch Brothers. That's right: The Koch brothers who have donated $157 million dollars to fight cancer.

The Kochs have donated to: New York-Presbyterian Hospital Weill Cornell: $15 million, M.D. Anderson Cancer Center: $25 million, The Hospital for Special Surgery: $26 million, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center: $30 million, Prostate Cancer Foundation, $41 million, $20 million, Hopkins Cancer Research.

In fact they have donated 600 MILLION to arts, education, and medical research. But...then again..they are EVIL, right Matt Damon?

September 9, 2012 at 19:41 | Report abuse | Reply