home
RSS
September 13th, 2010

'Freaky eaters' cling to same food everyday

TLC’s new show that started September 5 shows people with a compulsion toward a particular food, meaning they eat only one item -  like cheeseburgers, french fries or pizzas - all the time.

On the upcoming shows, a 29-year-old mother eats only french fries and a 34 year-old diabetic is addicted to cheeseburgers.  In “Freaky Eaters,” psychotherapist Dr. Mike Dow and nutrition specialist J.J. Virgin, intervene to figure out what compels the finicky eaters to obsess over the same food.

Dr. Ovidio Bermudez, the medical director for Child and Adolescent Services at the Eating Recovery Center, said he hasn’t heard much about this type of behavior in adults.

“Usually it’s a problem with children with extremely picky eating,” said Bermudez, a past president of the National Eating Disorders Association.

CNN's Eatocracy on Routine Repasts

Children who usually stick to just one type of food have suffered some sort of emotional disturbances or have fears of vomiting or choking that compels them to stick to one food.  They usually outgrow this.

“It’s rare to see adults with that narrow of menu choices,” Bermudez said.  “It’s almost unheard of.”

The average person cycles through his or her menu every 10 days, meaning an average lover of pizza might eat the item once every 10 days. Some people cycle through the menu less frequently by eating something every 20 days instead.  The 10 to 20 days is the normal range, he said.

Eating the same thing every day is highly abnormal, he said.

“There’s two ways of looking at it- there’s an obsessive component – ‘I want the same thing all the time,’” he said.  “That can be obsessive.  The other is avoidance. ‘These are the only things I feel safe eating.’”

1. annoyed

Watched the show for a bit but had to switch the channel after I realized it was a huge waste of time! French fry girl was so freakin annoying. Seriously?!! I think this is all a bunch of crap and totally made up for tv!

September 14, 2010 at 08:56 | Report abuse | Reply
    • keleee

I have this eating disorder and ITS REAL! I am 51 years old and ate normally until I went through some major losses. It didn't happen over night but I notuiced I only ate like one thing for a while and then it would switch to something else for a year. Now I am stuck eating almost 2-32 ounce cartons of Greek Yogurt a day with either a cut up apple or red grapes mixed in. I crave it and eat it 3 times a day, every day. I am embarrased at the grocery store to pull up with 6 large containers of yogurt and 2 bags of apples every single week. I get looks! I live alone and there is no one to cook for so I just have no urge to. I can cut up an apple and throw some into it and that is my meal. I love the taste of it and I have not gotten tired of it for the last 9 months. I take a vitamin everyday because I'm afraid of a vitamin deficiency! I wish there was something else that appealed to me. I gave away my food in the pantry because it was expiring and just buy my greek yogurt and apples now.

December 14, 2013 at 07:41 | Report abuse |
  2. Kelly

This was a BBC show first and I haven't seen the American version but it's not about people being picky or trying to be "healthy" it's about adults with severe emotional problems. One of the UK episodes was a 20 something girl who would only eat mashed potatoes. She had a crippling fear of going anywhere by herself. Eating mashed potatoes made her feel in some bizarre way safe. It's similiar to Hoarders. People can't help their behavior and need psychiatric help to fix it.

September 14, 2010 at 09:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Fallowt

I work with a guy who eats a plain chicken sandwich from Wendy's every day. He also chews with his mouth open and talks too loud. I want to slap him.

September 14, 2010 at 09:20 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Poppy

I know that guy too, I hate him

September 14, 2010 at 09:34 | Report abuse |
    • kenny

He also takes a drink of soda with a mouth full of food. I also hate him

September 14, 2010 at 16:07 | Report abuse |
    • Tiffany

OMG! A coworker of mine eats a chicken sandwich from subway EVERY day. I also want to slap him!

October 21, 2013 at 16:59 | Report abuse |
  4. Stressed

I eat the same breakfast (toast) every morning because if I don't, I feel panicky. The thought of cereal with milk makes me want to throw up, even though I ate it for forty years.

It started when my daughter was very ill and continues now. I think it's a way of maintaining some control in a life that seems out of control. If someone is healthy otherwise, I don't see the big deal. If it keeps you sane, I don't see the big deal.

I don't understand why some of the commenters have to be so mean. Oh yeah, it's because people are mean. Never mind.

September 14, 2010 at 09:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. garyc.

I'll tell what's crazier than eating the same food all the time.Wasting 30 minutes of your life watching this.
    You'd be better off reading a one paragraph article on the subject on line.Time spent,15 seconds.

September 14, 2010 at 09:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Dee

@Evan:

You're deluding yourself if you think your smoked salmon on a whole wheat bagel is a "healthy" breakfast. Smoked salmon is extremely high in sodium, and may contain carcinogens due to the smoking process, which also lowers salmon's healthful Omega-3 fat content. Wholewheat bagels, despite the name, are usually high in refined carbs, which raise blood sugar. Is your breakfast healthier than a fast-food breakfast? Probably, but not by a whole lot. You have a lot to learn about healthy eating. Here are some ideas for a truly healthy breakfast: oatmeal with sliced bananas and blueberries; or sprouted grain toast with almond butter and fruit preserves (containing only fruit, no added sugar); or a smoothie made from unsweetened almond milk, berries and protein powder. Those are some of the breakfasts I enjoy and they are truly healthful.

September 14, 2010 at 09:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Pete

Saw this episode last night, then had to go look up "delayed food sensitivities". Apparently, there's no real science behind it. Its a fad diagnosis based on the ELISA/ACT test, which reputedly can assess food sensitivities, but does not mean that they are allergenic in nature (quackwatch.org). Bad science, TLC.

September 14, 2010 at 09:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Scully

I think it's Funny How we're all being almost Scared Straight into Eating Healthy, yet the Healthy Choices are the Most Costly. It's almost like there is some kind of Conspiracy. Just a couple of Years ago Organic Famers were Few and Far Between, and practically Giving their goods away. Now the Organics are all twice the price of the Standard Humans have been Eating for Thousands of Years. 10+ Years ago Salad Bars were Cheap, Poorly Maintained, Few & Far Between, and Loaded with Hot Fried & Baked Foods. Now it's the Total Opposite. I am a Very Poor (Health Wise) Eater, and if I get 1 Cold a Year it's a lot. My Wife eats & drinks Organic this & that and suffers from all kinds of ailments like Migranes, Muscle Stiffness, Stomach troubles, and other Mainstream Ill's that keeps over the Counter Med makers like Pepto & Excedrin in Good Business. I'd rather Die Young/Middle Aged/ & Happy Eating What I Like versus busting hump to Eat Right and Not being Truly Happy & Enjoying Lfe. We're all Going to Die. Prolong it if You would like. Eating Healthy or Not doesn't Guarantee, although they Say it Cuts Your Chnaces but not Completely of You Not getting Cancer, Heart Disease, and all the other Killer Ailments. It's a Giant Conspiarcy tells Ya!

September 14, 2010 at 09:43 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dee

Uh ... but if you eat healthy and exercise, you will likely enjoy life more because you will feel physically better and be more active. Healthful eating does not have to be expensive either if you know how to do it right. That's a misconception. There is a little more effort – i.e. thought and preparation – that goes into healthy eating, but it's well worth the results.

September 14, 2010 at 09:46 | Report abuse |
    • leee

Dee. SHUT UP and stop telling other people how to live their lives.

March 26, 2013 at 19:24 | Report abuse |
  9. Scully

Not many of Us have the Time to make the effort to do so (Work, Kids, etc...). Healthy Foods ARE more Expensive. Walk into Any Supermarket anywhere in the USA and it's Easy to see it pretty quickly. Even the Fast Food places are getting in on that Act. The Bad Stuff is on the Dollar Menu. The Good Stuff will Cost You now what the Bad Stuff did a Few Years ago. If the Healtheir Stuff was priced the same as the other Standards we have all been Eating for Years, then most of America would of course Buy those items, but it's not the case. Wealthy & Health go together in this day and age. Leaving Poor & Sickly to be together as well. Welfare & WIC Checks let you buy a Box of "Kaboom" Ceral along with Peanut Butter, Cheese Food, & Milk. Want to be Healthy? Then Be Rich....You're Not Rich? Well here's a Box of Kaboom Cereal for You.

September 14, 2010 at 10:05 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dee

I work long hours and I make the time and effort to eat healthy anyway. You're making excuses. And refined, processed foods are expensive! Many fruits and veggies are inexpensive – they don't have to be organic, just wash them properly. Brown rice and beans are a great staple and are also inexpensive, as is canned fish – a good and healthy staple also. Oatmeal – another healthy, inexpensive food. Sugary cereals are very expensive, both in terms of money and health. Eating healthy does not have to be expensive, and I spend just a few minutes a day preparing healthful, inexpensive meals.

September 14, 2010 at 10:34 | Report abuse |
    • Scully

I'm not making Excuses. I'm pointing out Reality. I work 8 Hours a day, and spend another 5 Hours Travelling to & from work because I have to do what I have to do to keep a House for Myself & My Family. Eating Right is mostly a Matter of Financial Situation. More often than Not a Lack of Education or Poor Time Management. Most of what You've listed in your reply can't be purchased with WIC Checks, and would devour the Money of Food Stamps allotment leaving one's typically Poor Family still Hungry. When You're Poor and Feeding a Family you have to make the Food itself Stretch along with the Money spent on it. I'm sure you're aware of the Garbage that goes into the No Frills items most low income people are forced to Buy.

September 14, 2010 at 11:20 | Report abuse |
    • Dee

I work far longer hours than you and still manage to eat healthy on a low budget. You're making excuses.

September 14, 2010 at 13:14 | Report abuse |
    • Scully

Dee, Your Ignorance must be Bliss. Put Yourself in someone elses Aerobic Shoes for a moment. Mainly someone who makes less than $30k a Year, works Long Hours, while supporting a family of 4 or more while half or more of that income going to Rent, Taxes, Utilities, Clothes and other items needed to sustain a Home & Life for that Family. Go work for Minimum Wage, 30+ Miles from Your Home, with raising 2 Kids in School. Then imagine it being Umemployed in the same situation, and tell me where Your Healthy Living would be on Your Life Priority List.

September 14, 2010 at 14:04 | Report abuse |
    • Dee

Scully – if anyone is ignorant, it is you. You need to stop making excuses and try harder. You are not taking responsibility for your family and by refusing to feed them a healthy diet, you will be setting them up with health problems for life. You obviously don't realize – or refuse to acknowledge – that there is a link between what you eat and your health. You work a 40 hour week – so get a second job to pay for a few extra groceries. Or have some of your family members get part-time jobs to buy some fruits and veggies. I don't buy your excuses, and don't tell me I'm ignorant – I've managed to eat well on a very low income many times. So do many people. All you are doing is contributing to your family's poor health. I don't care what you think of me, but for the sake of your family's health, you really need to stop making excuses and try harder. I'm only trying to help you and motivate you to find a solution to your family's poor diet. Take my advice or leave it – but if you keep on feeding your family junk, you're not taking care of their health.

September 14, 2010 at 15:41 | Report abuse |
  10. To AgentFrank

AgentFrank: I cannot tell you what a pathetic assh*le I think you are. I am a dietician and I counsel many people who are overweight due to real physical and emotional problems (e.g., people who suffer from endocrine abnormalities and people who have endured years of abuse of all kinds) . If you really are so disgusted by "oinkers" that you'll spend time stalking and insulting them on a message board, it says more about you than you know. Behavior like yours contributes to many of the psychological problems at the root of others' weight issues. You should be ashamed. I'm ashamed for you. I imagine most of us would much rather look at an obese person all day long than to listen to you run your ignorant mouth. Instead of telling them what to eat, try to strain yourself to learn some compassion and tolerance.

September 14, 2010 at 10:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. SoCalMatt

My father in law only eats french fries and he is in his mid fifties! I think he also eats popcorn and maybe a couple other white starchy foods, but thats it. Any time we go to a restaurant he orders french fries and nothing else, everytime, since Ive known him for over a decade. I've never understood how someone could have such a boring pallette with all of the great tasty foods out there but I've assumed it was something psychological and not his chemistry. Aside from his odd eating behavior he is a totally normal, functional, outgoing loving person. His health seems good but I wouldnt call him the healthiest, although he does go jogging and isn't overly overweight for a guy his age. You would think that someone who eats nothing but french fries and popcorn would be obese and ready for a heart attack but that just isn't the case. I haven't seen the show yet but am really looking forward to it.

September 14, 2010 at 12:44 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Caroline

You know you don't have to look fat to have high cholesterol, do you? Your father is at a high risk of dropping dead without warning.

September 14, 2010 at 14:39 | Report abuse |
    • Donna Keith

Glad to hear your story Matt. When I married my husband, I thought he was just used to eating "comfort foods". It has been almost ten years and all he ever eats are fries, pancakes, popcorn...We have two children – both have autism. They love fries, but have "locked" onto a few other foods. Cooking out of one pot is just a painful dream. It feels good to know there are others like our household...

October 21, 2010 at 11:52 | Report abuse |
  12. Valerie

I understand that these people have a disease or a disorder, however, they should be aware of the possible outcomes of eating like this. I hope that this television show tells their viewers the possible risks and outcomes from eating like this. Being a physical educator, I looked at this article from a physically active stand point. If this person is physically active and eats like this then they are going to run into some problems along the way. They are not getting their recommended daily intakes. Based on a 2000 calorie diet a person should take in 3500 mg of potassium each day, 50 g of protein as well as 300 g of carbohydrates. If they are active they need these nutrients to help them keep moving and to prevent them from crashing. Potassium is extremely important to eat before you workout or exercise. It allows proper cell function within your tissues and organs. Protein also plays a huge role in physical activity. It is important to get protein in your diet after you work out. It helps to build and too repair the tissues, protein is known as the essential building block for the bones, muscles, cartilage, skin and blood. Carbohydrates are important because they are the bodies main supplier of energy for the body physically as well as mentally. A person should also try to eat a colorful variety everyday. Fruits and vegetables help to reduce the risks of chronic diseases, such as; stroke, type 2 diabetes, some cancers, heart disease as well as high blood pressure.

September 14, 2010 at 13:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Caroline

It seems to me the palate is like a muscle and needs to be trained to enjoy foods it is not accustomed to. I am a chef, and I've learned to enjoy foods, to try new things. The more different foods I try, the broader my taste becomes. Sometimes the matter isn't of what food it is you eat, but how it is cooked.

September 14, 2010 at 14:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Susan S

Valerie, these people are not stupid and they live in THIS society. They are very well aware of the dangers of thieir diet and are extrememely concerned. If it was just a matter of applying common sense and logic to this, they would gladly do it.
    The nature of a disorder is that it is involuntary. No one WANTs to have this and most adults with this live in shame and hide their issue. That is why the good Doctor Bermudez in this article doesn't even know that there have been over 7000 unique members of the Pikcy Eating adults group over the years. That is just a North Armerican stat for those who have been fortunate enough to find the group.

September 14, 2010 at 14:39 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Caroline

Coming from Europe, I've noticed this disorder is practically nonexistent there, but rather common here. What gives?

September 14, 2010 at 14:42 | Report abuse |
    • Susan S

Caroline, you cannot possibly know whether this is a problem in Europe or not. This is a hidden problem even in the US.
      Most adults with this prefer to avoid any notice.
      The Picky Eating Adults group has given courage to the members who finally discovered that they are not alone. Because of the support group they now know they are not "freaks" and are willing to expose themseleves to public scrutiny so that it can become a recognized issue and on the radar for research funding. The folks in Europe have perhaps not been fortunate enough to have this sort of support group. Many of us conjecture that in history, this was not known simply because such people died out for lack of food choices and ill health.

September 14, 2010 at 16:09 | Report abuse |
    • Charlie Parker

Caroline is obviously wrong. Germans eat sausage for every meal. Italians eat spaghetti and meatballs for every meal. The British only eat fish and chips. And the French only eat cheese with a baguette. And don't even mention the Asians. They eat only rice for every meal. So I think this problem is everywhere.

September 19, 2010 at 13:28 | Report abuse |
  15. Duncan

I watched the first one about the guy who ate 28 cheese burgers a week. He stopped on the way home even though his wife cooked meals and he never ate any of it. I have to wonder about the wife in this case. At what point do you stop cooking for a guy that will not eat 1 single item, who says he is not hungry but obviously putting on weight and having food related health issues.

I did not find the guy to have the same deep mental issues that others have. When he was asked to eat a burger with a mushroom, he was like, mmm that is good.. and so it progressed. Horders is a great show where you can truly see the pain that the people are in, but picky eaters was just dumb. If you would rather eat yourselve into an early death and are too stupid to avoid it, then so be it.

Some have commented on not having time to cook.. I would like to tell you about this wonderful think called the slow cooker. I put it on before work yesterday with some stewing beef and some packet of herbs. Took me less than 5 minutes to setup, start and walk away. When I got home I had an amazing pot of meat. If I have a little more time, I will dump some cut potatoes into the pot with carrots in the morning. One time I knew I would be rushed in the morning so I cut up the potatoes and carrots the night before.

Yesterday I just boiled some veggies and did one of those 2 minute mash potato packets. I also sometimes cook meals at weekends and freeze them. There is also the nuwave oven which can cook meat from frozen in less than 30 minutes.

Healthy foods are also not more expensive compared to normal foods. The pure junk foods are obviously dirt cheap though.

September 14, 2010 at 15:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Nya

Yeah...I'm not sure if this was a disorder or just lazy on his part... but when one of my friends moved off to college, he ate Hot Pockets all the time. Literally every meal of every day for over a month...
    He ended up getting sick.... upset stomach and his mouth was bleeding.
    Problem? Scurvy.

Sad thing was.... he was a pre-med student.

September 14, 2010 at 15:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. TColeman

@Kstock: My son has autism and it is his sensory issues that keep him from eating more than a handful of different items. There are lots of children with the type of finicky eating your are describing. We tried the "he'll eat when he's ready" thing and nearly had to hospitalize him. Give your son vitamins and supplements, choose your battles, and don't listen to those on here who comment but have never lived it so shouldn't say a thing.

September 14, 2010 at 18:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. OHyeah

I have a family member whom is a good guy. He has eaten the same food for breakfast since he was a small child and he is now about 61. He eats the same foods for lunch every day and repeats his cycle every 7 days for dinner. My theory is our guy always knows there are somethings in life you can always depend on! Now, maybe we need a show on how folks organize the underwear drawers, very exciting~

September 14, 2010 at 22:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Lisa

I was surprised to hear this is rare in adults. My great grandfather ate nothing but peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for the last 25 years of his life, and he lived to age 95.

September 15, 2010 at 07:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. 1stTime

This is my first time reading comments on a CNN site. Amazed at the vicious and negative attacks on here. Feel sorry for the people making honest comments who have ignorant creeps posting after them. Really wonder about people who feel the need to attack others. What do they get out of it?

September 16, 2010 at 23:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. June Gardens

It's "every day." Two words. Freaky Eaters Cling to Same Food Every Day. Sorry, but it bugs me when people get it wrong–especially news organizations who employ editors. The best way to remember is to say the phrase, "I wear my everyday clothes every day."

September 17, 2010 at 10:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Charlie Parker

Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are good for you if you get the creamy peanut butter. It is the peanut butter with nuts that is the problem. I think those big peanuts in there end up clogging your arteries, whereas the smooth peanut butter flows right through. I'm going on that diet now too so I cna live to be 95.

September 19, 2010 at 12:49 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dwe

That is absurd.

September 20, 2010 at 13:32 | Report abuse |
  23. Charlie Parker

@June: this article wasn't about clothes. it was about food. maybe it is spelled everyday (one word) in reference to food but not to clothes.

September 19, 2010 at 13:14 | Report abuse | Reply
    • June Gardens

Charlie, I hope you are kidding! I think you are. (Oh, I hope you are!) I am an editor of textbooks and legal documents. It's every day, two words, when you are talking about ANYTHING you do daily. It's everyday, one word, when you're talking about a not-so-special thing. It's an everyday activity I do every day.

October 4, 2010 at 12:44 | Report abuse |
  24. Kate

I disagree that this is almost undheard of in adults. My son was a very picky eater and is now a picky eater as an adult. I had to let go of it. It wasn't anything I was doing. Nor is he "sick." Just a few generations ago (okay more) my Irish ancestors subsisted on mostly potatoes, lots of them. (Ironicaly, potatoes are one thing my son still won't eat except in the form of French Fries!) He's thin nad healthy, while most of the US has a weight problem, myself included. My main concern is that he would not have the proper nutrition, but he has managed to be healthy and grown to nearly 6 feet.

September 19, 2010 at 14:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Dwe

Ramen noodles, coffee, bananas and beer got me through grad school!

September 20, 2010 at 13:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Ana Phylactic Shock

Be careful about all that peanut butter.

September 20, 2010 at 17:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. sfgymnast76

This story intrigues me!! I firmly believe that there is another reason people are so-called "Freaky Eaters"....it's because their taste buds dance when they eat a certain food. If there were a Pizza Anonomous, I would be the first to join. I eat pizza nearly every single day of the week...I simpy crave it!! I love to bite into the hot, melted cheese and my mouth goes crazy with every bite!! I eat any kind of Italian food like it's going out of style...I hunger and yearn for anything tomatoey!!! And no, I'm not a big fatty...I'm in fabulous shape, have a six-pack abs, and was blessed with a super fast metobolism. Though, I am going to try super hard to limit my pizza eating to 2-3 times per week max. And when I say I LOVE pizza, I mean it. I don't just have a slice of pizza....I eat the WHOLE thing!!! How could I possibly leave one or two pizza of absolute goodness in the box??

September 20, 2010 at 23:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Laura

For those of you who saw the episode about Daniel, the raw meat eater, I wanted to clarify a few things. Daniel is my brother, and he absolutely does NOT have an addiction to raw meat. He made this up as a way to get attention and maybe his 15 minutes of fame (I am not condoning this, just explaining). Growing up, he liked to eat a lot of sushi (who doesn't?) and he liked to eat his steaks rare. That's it. According to him, TLC chopped together bits and pieces of things he said to make it more sensationalized. Regardless, my father has been very hurt by the accusations made against him on the show, and for that, I am very disappointed in my brother. So for those of you who are debating whether these food addictions/obsessions are real, Daniel's is not, but I cannot comment on the others.

September 22, 2010 at 13:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Illinois girl

Pg, why are you so angry? Someone force you to eat your smarta$$ words? Boy, I bet that tasted reaaaaalllly gross!

October 6, 2010 at 14:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. ?

Is it weird that I eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for breakfast everyday?

October 12, 2010 at 13:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Tammy Harrow- Richmond, VA

I know there are many skeptics out there, but having a raised a now 20 year old son, who has only ever eaten a handful of things, this is a sad & debilitating condition. When he was a toddler, I assumed it was typical behavior, but as he got older, it got worse. I searched everywhere for help, tried every thing you can imagine and even took him to several psychologists/ psychiatrists/therapists who claimed they could help him. The last step was an eating disorder specialist (from Johns Hopkins), who told me that if I didn't leave him alone and let him eat what he wanted, I was going to force him into a serious eating disorder. He was 7.
    My son is an extremely bright, full time college student doing terrific, but is crippled by anxiety over food in social settings. He avoids them at all costs to prevent embarrassment.
    I know the show over dramatizes certain things, but discovery this show the other day, totally blew me away knowing that he is not the only person suffering from this. When I told him about it, he was in complete shock as well. He's lived his entire life, thinking he was the only one with this problem.

January 14, 2011 at 14:07 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Betsy Clemons

Tammy will you email me directly please. I have a 16 year old son with the same issues. Thanks, betsyclemone@me.com

January 3, 2012 at 17:38 | Report abuse |
  32. PimmyZ

I knew a kid in grade school that liked to crap in his backyard, the cover said crap with "cool whip" and roll around in it. Wweeeeeiirrrrrdd.

January 14, 2011 at 14:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Michelle

My mom always fed us the same food as kids. Milk and cereal every morning. Peanut butter and jelly or Oscar Meyer sandwiches for lunch, meat vegetables and potatoes for dinner. When I grew up I thought she was bonkers for doing that to us. Then, I found out when my mom passed away and I started doing the grocery shopping my dad alwasy asks for the same hideous bland cereal and the same freaking lunch. I really think my mom's side of the family has autism and there have been instances where certain relatives always ate the same thing every day when they were kids. But now I'm finding out this weirdness comes from my dad. Or, maybe my mom just trained him to like those foods. Anyhow, I hate Cheerios and Rice Krispies to this day. I think Cheerios taste like cardboard and need to be buried in fruit and sugar to make them edible in any way and I don't even want to say what wet slimy Rice Krispies remind me of. The guy who invented cereal was a maniac. Google it and see. And I don't care what the nutritional value of peanut butter and jelly is, it's a sugar bomb that tastes like slime on stale bread by mid day. My mom also made us wear blue jeans every day. I grew up to hate them and don't own a single pair now.

April 23, 2012 at 05:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Michelle

P.S. I googled this because I was looking for information about people like my parents who eat the same foods too much. Bizarre adult picky eaters. So there were not very many comments here about the issue of eating the same food every day. I used to think milk and cereal made me sick. Now I think it was just a sinus problem that acted up severely in the morning. My goofy mom seemed to never notice. But the truth was that she would rather die than take me to an allergist because she was terrified of needles. They used to treat allergies by injecting people all up and down their arms to see what they were allergic to. Extreme phobias are an autistic trait too, like eating the same food over end over. I had an aunt close to my age who was a picky eater and her kid came out the same way. I look out for him at parties. I sort of make sure he can find something to eat and drink.

April 23, 2012 at 05:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. van

Im a 37 year old male that stands 5 feet 7 and weighs 292 pounds. I know that im morbid obese. My problem is that most of the time i crave nothing but fast food. I cant stomach veggies without vomiting. Only one i can stomach is the potatoe and certain beans or peas.I have gone thru self willing sprees where i ate at home more often eating grilled meats with peas and baked potatoes only to realize that i was no better off than eating a whopper combo. I dont eat a tone of sweets everyday but i do eat a few. I have no taste for water unless im very thirsty. I drink mostly diet sodas which i hear are bad. Ive tried to drink more water daily in the past but didnt last long. As far as excersize ive gone on many sprees of walking but only to finally get burn out with it. Trainers say to push your self an extra mile everyday but once i reach the mile marker my body shuts down and i feel like im going to fant. It all boils down too if i dont have a taste bud for it i cant hold it down and if i do get it down i wont feel full or complete until i eat something i have taste for. I know i have a serious problem here

October 26, 2012 at 04:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Marla Lopez

November 21, 2012 at 22:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Aj

For the past 3 months I have eaten toast with maple almond butter and honey EVERYDAY! And even when I'm not hungry I feel like I need it. It's very strange. I am Not overweight or underweight. I don't understand where this is coming from unless it's a comfort thing. I will make a full course meal for my family, and I will make myself maple almond butter and honey toast EVERYDAY! We can order out my favorite (or what was normally my fav food) and STILL I do the toast thing jnstead! PLEASE HELP!

June 12, 2014 at 19:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Alison

hi. I am 20 years old and I struggle with this. I remember when I was little I would eat chicken strips every day of my life. atlease once a day. now I eat hot wings literally every day. no exageration. I wish i could eat something different but it's like my body craves it. if I'm not eating wings then I'm eating fries. every single day. it's hard trying to go out to eat with friends because all I want is wings and fries. I'm only 120 pounds but I feel like one day it's gonna catch up with me.

December 18, 2014 at 23:44 | Report abuse | Reply