home
RSS
September 13th, 2010

American Heart Association: Smokeless tobacco increases risks

Smokeless tobacco products are not safe alternatives to smoking and could increase not only the risk of certain cancers , but also the risk of fatal heart attacks or strokes, according to the American Heart Association

Products like snuff and chewing tobacco can be addictive and increase the risk of relapse for those who have already quit smoking, said the AHA said in a policy statement release Monday."No tobacco product is safe to consume," said Mariann Piano, lead writer of the statement and a professor in the Department of Biobehavioral Health Science at the University of Illinois, Chicago. "Smokeless tobacco products are harmful and addictive - that does not translate to a better alternative."

A recent study in the United States found smoking rates didn't drop among people who used smokeless tobacco products, causing concern that smokers may use both cigarettes and smokeless products, according to the AHA.

If you're trying to kick the habit, studies have found that nicotine replacement therapy–products including gum or patches– is a safer alternative and had no increased cardiovascular risk.

Smokeless tobacco contains 28 known carcinogens and increases your risk of both oral and pancreatic cancer, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.  It's also associated with gum disease and tooth decay and in men, it can cause reduced sperm count and abnormal sperm cells, the CDC reports.

Smokeless tobacco products come in a variety of forms and are made from finely ground, shredded or powdered tobacco. The AHA estimates about 7 percent of U.S. adults use these products, 8 percent of high school students and nearly 3 percent of middle schoolers currently use smokeless tobacco.

Steve Callahan, a spokesperson for Altria, the parent company of US Smokeless Tobacco Company and Philip Morris USA declined comment on the specific policy but said "Altria and it's operating companies supported federal regulation of tobacco for over 8 years. We believe that the FDA is really the appropriate authority to make the science and evidenced based determinations about tobacco products that are potentially less harmful than cigarettes."

1. Biff

You mean ingesting poisonous tobacco in ANY way causes cancer? WOW! Who would have thunk it !

September 13, 2010 at 17:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Lew

Seriously? CLEARLY EVERYONE WAS ALREADY AWARE OF THIS, THANKS FOR WASTING MY TIME CNN.

September 13, 2010 at 18:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Sven

Try SNUS then! In Sweden, smokeless tobacco is regulated as a food product and pastuerized, which removes the cancer causing micro-ornanisms in the tobacco, whereas American smokeless tobacco is fermented, and only increases the carcenogenic effects.

September 13, 2010 at 18:47 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Adam Van Beck

SVEN- YOU WORK AT PHILLIP MORRIS! HAHAHA NICE POST!

September 13, 2010 at 20:40 | Report abuse |
    • jennifer c

Not to mention with Snus, no spitting!!!!

September 14, 2010 at 00:38 | Report abuse |
    • JR

SNUS and other smokeless tobacco are both carcinogenic. Pasteurization does not remove the nicotine and various nitrosamines produced naturally in tobacco leaves. If you removed the nicotine, no one would use the products. It is not the organisms that cause cancer, but the chemicals found in tobacco leaves. Snus produces a risk of cancer.

September 14, 2010 at 00:58 | Report abuse |
    • ikantraed

The chemical that cover tobacco leaves are the ones that really cause cancer... It's called radionuclides and they are found in the rich fertilizers that are require to grow tobacco for very profitable margin. They use mined phosphorous and nitrates tailings as additives in soil. They are also very rich in Polonium that has a half life, that's just long enough to change cellular DNA.. You wash snus to remove it probably, but once it is in the leaf itself, it's exposed to cells in your body eventually.. Nicotine on the other hand was used a rat poison for a long long time..

September 14, 2010 at 01:54 | Report abuse |
    • Tom

Sven,

That is absolutely incorrect. The cancer causing agents are the complex organic chemicals present in the tobacco, not microrganisms.

September 14, 2010 at 02:27 | Report abuse |
    • w

sven is right but the U.S. version of snus is different than Swedens. Because they can't export tobacco products phillip morris bought the rights and recipe to their product and it is not manufactured the same way. The Sweden Snus has gone through tons of testing and it has shown no cancer causing agents. But again, Phillip Morris snus is not the same...at all..

September 14, 2010 at 03:14 | Report abuse |
    • Guest 12345

Actually, he's right. I'm not a tobacco user myself but SNUS is made differently than traditional American made Tobacco. This does not make it carcinogen free however. It is actually heat that makes the cancer causing agents appear in smokeless tobacco. As long as snus is kept cool in a refrigerator and off of the console of your hot car, you get far far less carcinogenic effects than you get with snuff. On the other hand, American made snuff is made through a heating process bringing out as many carcinogens as possible. If you don't believe me, do a little bit of research about Snus. In addition, note the low incidence of mouth cancer in countries like sweeden where Snus was both invented and used regularly for many years.

September 14, 2010 at 03:21 | Report abuse |
    • Greg

I quit cigarettes about six months ago and have been using Swedish Snus. I had no luck quitting cigarettes with the patch or gum. Swedish Snus is much safer than the American chew, and it is very enjoyable. I bought it online at http://www.northerner.com. I feel healthier–no more coughing–and I have actually lost weight. I like the white portion snus the best. No one has to know I have a little pouch in my upper lip. 🙂

September 14, 2010 at 11:41 | Report abuse |
  4. K_kelvin

As a committed ex-smoker with some 45 pack years behind me for now. Have been using Pfizer's product "Chantix" for the past three months and have about a month to go before I withdraw it and don't expect to start again after that. The VA provides this to me as a totally disabled veteran so all vets might not be able to get it. However, the VA is making a concerted effort to offer smoking cessation care, treatment and follow up so it wouldn't hurt other veterans to get to their nearest VA facility or at least call the VA to ask about smoking cessation eligibility and alternatives if ineligible for some reason. Most war theater vets of any war are probably eligible for free gum or patches at least since the drug, which blocks the nicotene receptors in the midbrain pleasure center, costs the VA a ton since there is no generic yet.

September 13, 2010 at 19:00 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Billshut

Congratulations! I smoked for 23.5 years, and am going on 6 years tobacco free now. Believe me, it does get easier as time goes by, and the little voice whispering in your ear that "just one won't hurt" will go away after a while (I always envisioned that voice as coming from my little cigarette demon, and then imagined myself flicking him off my shoulder! LOL).

People, there is NO tobacco product that is safe or healthy. When I quit, cigarettes were going for $30/carton. Now they're closer to $60, or more. Why not enjoy that money doing something FUN, and ruining the fortunes of the tobacco companies who will gladly spoon feed you poison your whole life, then look the other way when you get cancer? Don't quit for other people you love (makes it too easy to blame them for your nic-fits, and go back to smoking again!), quit for yourself. It's the most selfish decision you'll ever make, and one that you'll enjoy making!!

September 14, 2010 at 07:50 | Report abuse |
    • Trav202

I hear you there. Started dipping Copenhagen in the Army 9 years ago and haven't been able to quit yet. Might have to give the VA a try.

September 14, 2010 at 11:43 | Report abuse |
    • Rodrigo

Any time you want a cigarette put a proiton of Thunder Extra Strong under your lip. I guarantee you will not want one in 5 minutes. It works in the morning even if you are at the bar (thats when I really want a cigarette). I wouldn't advise using it all day I smoked over 2 packs a day and there is still a little too much nicotine in Thunder ES for me. And it's great with cofee!

July 1, 2012 at 17:39 | Report abuse |
  5. Bonnie

Massive programs to help those addicted to nicotine kick their addiction would counteract the massive tax revenues gained from taxing such products much higher than other consumables. Seems like government should look at its own addiction to tax revenues before it starts looking like the hypocrit it is. Electronic cigarettes are a very viable alternative to gums and patches and such for helping the addict quit their addiction, but the FDA keep threatening to severely restrict or totally ban such devices. Of course they're not safe, but tobacco marketed in its present forms is just over-the-counter slow poison. In the long run, our society should look at totally phasing out tobacco within the next 20 to 50 years.

September 13, 2010 at 19:13 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Damon

It's as if the FDA doesn't really want people to quit. Why are the gums and patches so expensive? I switched to an electronic cigarette in May and haven't looked back. My bank account and body are much better now.

September 14, 2010 at 09:33 | Report abuse |
  6. tina

Well UNLESS your a Nun, nothin in this world is safe to put in your mouth

September 13, 2010 at 19:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Ken

Show me the proof of all this... They are just trying to keep people from using smokeless tobacco now that they have hurt the cigarette business.... Show us the real proof not just your opinions!

September 13, 2010 at 20:13 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Skoalbrother

Amen...In fact, the only studies performed looking at the cardiac risk of smokeless tobacco were inconclusive. This article needs to be interpreted correctly, the AHA is saying that using smokeless is not a good way to quit cigarettes since relapse rates are high...Well, they are high using any method, so this alone does not indict smokeless on face value. Just an example of sensationalism. That being said, the intention is pure and the overall message should be heeded that cigarettes are dangerous to your health...

September 13, 2010 at 21:45 | Report abuse |
    • Tom

Ken,

Do you actually believe that? With all of the scientific literature and studies available, how can anyone justify this product. You either have a death wish or are leading such a pitiful life as to not care about your health.

September 14, 2010 at 02:31 | Report abuse |
  8. Tom

Addiction to tobacco makes one weak, tired, grumpy and out of shape. Use Chantix to quit and you'll feel better and more engaged in life rather than being a slave to a doctored plant designed to keep you down!

September 13, 2010 at 20:42 | Report abuse | Reply
    • SJB

Chantix is some nasty stuff. It WILL cause some mental imbalances. I used it for awhile and couldn't take the nightmares and mood swings...a lady I knew was bragging about how it helped her stop smoking cigarettes,right before she committed suicide.Go to the Chantix website. Read about the side effects. I'd rather smoke!

September 13, 2010 at 21:30 | Report abuse |
    • paul

1/4 of American smokes but 3/4 are fat lazy and grumpy.

September 14, 2010 at 02:02 | Report abuse |
  9. MJB

Yup, smokless tobacco is terrible also as cigarettes.The chewing kind causes mouth and tongue cancer. I worked as a
    surgical tech for awhile and taking parts of peoples faces off and trying to rebuild it into something recognizable can be a challenge. Really sad! and every patient was a smoker. Yes, with millions of people that do not smoke could get a cancer. But, the majority smoke or chew. And those are facts.

September 13, 2010 at 20:49 | Report abuse | Reply
    • mdl

Not all smokeless tobacco products or nicotine delivery systems are created equal. If this was the case, then please explain to me why Swedish snus, produced in Sweden for over 200 years doesn't have the bad rap that our American-made smokeless to bacco does (by the way, I know the answer). Sweden has the lowest incidence of oral and bladder cancer in the industrialized world and yet they are avid snus consumers.

September 14, 2010 at 14:51 | Report abuse |
  10. 13usa13

They bitch about this however year after year they as do the States and Feds - just keep smokers from having any support for quiting. If you seek an errection = funded for even over 4 hours. If you seek an abortion = funded even if it is more than 4 hours. Breast Implants well pay is dependent on how you file with the Feds. Seek to quit smoking = PAY YOUR WAY 100%. FUALL

September 13, 2010 at 20:56 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Joan

13usa13 – what are YOU smokin' these days, man? Medicare has been paying for tobacco cessation counseling since 2005 and has recently expanded the coverage even further. Many state Medicaid's cover it. And that's just the feds. I think you'll be surprised how many private insurance carriers provide at least some level of coverage for it, as well.

September 13, 2010 at 21:58 | Report abuse |
  11. Richard

I give up. Is anything healthy anymore?

September 13, 2010 at 21:24 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Rickard

Yeah, I mean if smoking isn't healthy anymore, what next? Cocaine? Shoot yourself in the head? When will the madness stop!?

September 14, 2010 at 12:15 | Report abuse |
  12. SJB

I don't smoke anymore, used nicotene lozenges and quit a few years back. I did it on my own, didn't look for a government support program. I tried Chantix and had horrible nightmares and mood swings,I think akin to some sort of psychosis. Don't try it!

September 13, 2010 at 21:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Billy

3% percent of middle schoolers? 1 of 14 people use smokeless?

The AHA needs to get a new estimator. This makes the entire article irresponsible journalism.

September 13, 2010 at 21:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. David

TOBACCO SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!

September 13, 2010 at 21:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Siege

I don't care if others want to use smokeless tobacco. Unlike regular cigarettes, I can sit right next to someone with their chew and not be affected by their nasty habit. It's gross to see, even grosser when they spit, but I don't suffer any adverse health effects.

September 13, 2010 at 21:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • mdl

Swedish snus is "spitless." 🙂

September 14, 2010 at 14:52 | Report abuse |
  16. Nrrork

No one is switching to smokeless tobacco because they think it's SAFER.

They're switching because a lot of people decided they wanted to play Mommy to the nation and ban smoking is as many places as they could manage. So a lot of smokers chose an alternative, because they don't like huddling outside in the middle of January.

September 13, 2010 at 22:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. D

Green Smoke people! it's the real deal – phenominal!!

September 13, 2010 at 22:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Boomer

Wow!!!!!!! This article makes me want too pack my lip right now... Where is my spit-toon ??????

September 13, 2010 at 22:21 | Report abuse | Reply
    • bigdipper

haha i read this article and threw a lip in halfway through

September 13, 2010 at 22:48 | Report abuse |
  19. Ryan

Well duh...I wish people would learn this. My parents smoke...me and my sister REPEATEDLY (I mean non stop) tell them to stop smoking. When I ask them "Why do you keep smoking, do you want cancer?" they reply: "This is the only thing that WE get to buy for ourselves."

But, they don't realize, if they didn't smoke, they could buy ALLOT more for themselves. Smoking makes you spend 1000 a year (or more). Every year, you clog 1000 dollars into smoking...you know what all you could buy with that money? Seriously. I don't understand it, people think that giving themselves cancer is such a pleasure.

Yah, not for me, because I have to BREATHE IT IN MY LUNGS. I have had bronchitis and pneumonia almost every year of my life, and honestly, I seem to blame the smoking every time for making my lungs weaker than a normal persons. It's bad, and we need to get people to stop, like my parents, before it hurts us (their children and family).

September 13, 2010 at 22:23 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ryan

well, it may not be $1000...but still, its a waste of money.

September 13, 2010 at 22:25 | Report abuse |
    • Pointless1

Average carton of smokes here where I live is $58 bucks.. A carton a week for a year... try over $3000.. lol

September 13, 2010 at 23:47 | Report abuse |
  20. Kevin

So, the number one concern is that it doesn't mean one won't either return to or start smoking? Whatever. My life, my body, my decision. Pi$$ off.

September 13, 2010 at 22:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. www.xemtruyenhinh.info

love death, i will try 😀

September 13, 2010 at 23:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Mike Ferrara

Someone, please, required Major League Baseball to ban its use during games. Kids are watching and copying. Thanks

September 13, 2010 at 23:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Mike Ferrara

Someone, please, require Major League Baseball to ban its use during games. Kids are watching and copying. Thanks

September 13, 2010 at 23:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. wayne

Not to mention second hand spit

September 13, 2010 at 23:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Pecos Bill

At least the commenters are using the word addiction which it truly is and not just "habit." Calling it a habit is a disservice and a lie. I'd bet the advertisers insist CNN use that lousy word.

September 13, 2010 at 23:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Donovan

I can quit anytime I want, I just don't want to

September 13, 2010 at 23:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Aaron

In case you haven't yet figured this out, EVERYONE who uses tobacco already knows the danger and chooses to use anyway. We've known for decades at the least. So please, quit trying to decide for me. You may consider it a stupid decision, but the nature of freedom is that it's MY decision. No one has the right to ban any action simply for my own good; only when it directly impacts others does the government have a role to play.

September 13, 2010 at 23:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Ben

I quit smoking 8 months ago using Snus. Atleast my lungs are better, I sleep better and don't get up at night to smoke like I was doing, and my wife and dogs don't have to breathe my cigarette smoke any longer. I feel better and I don't get tired like I did and I am 67 yrs old and smoked for 50 years. At least with Snus if there is any harm it is to me and not all the people around me and my pets.

September 14, 2010 at 00:05 | Report abuse | Reply
    • jennifer c

plus with Snus, no spitting!!!!

September 14, 2010 at 00:37 | Report abuse |
    • mdl

Just got my latest snus package from Northerner this morning! Woohoo! 🙂

September 14, 2010 at 14:56 | Report abuse |
  29. Adam

SMOKE WEED INSTEAD

September 14, 2010 at 00:52 | Report abuse | Reply
    • william

LOL! I Was waiting for someone to say that.

September 14, 2010 at 05:33 | Report abuse |
  30. itsjustme

Google before you take any drug prescribed to you by a doc: if "depression" is a side effect, run like hell. Ask SJB who posted above about his neighbor committing suicide.

Smokeless tobacco? Cancer of the mouth, the tongue, the throat and head and neck. The addage again comes to mind:

YOU WILL GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

September 14, 2010 at 00:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. RigidPrinciples

How about We the People assassinate any single legislator who has passed legislation banning smoking in bars ?

September 14, 2010 at 01:04 | Report abuse | Reply
    • doubtful1

Give me the name of any legislator that has passed legislation banning smoking in bars and I'll send them cash for re-election. Keep your cancer causing smoke in your own homes and not in public where it affects everyone....

September 14, 2010 at 01:21 | Report abuse |
    • RigidPrinciples

Wow you sound like a non-smoker who was addicted to smoking environments.

September 14, 2010 at 01:25 | Report abuse |
    • doubtful1

And you sound like a smoker that is so addicted to smoking that you can't even control yourself for an evening. Smoke in your car or your home, I don't care. And stop throwing your cigarette butts out your car window!

September 14, 2010 at 01:54 | Report abuse |
    • RigidPrinciples

How about I open a smoking bar, and shoot any non-smoker that tries to enter ? Would you please be my first non-smoking patron ? I know you wouldn't be able to resist, since you are addicted to smoking environments.

September 14, 2010 at 02:09 | Report abuse |
  32. Dont do it

A few years back, Camel did away with their original "Camel Lights" and replaced them with a newer version. For someone like myself, who was quite fond of the original version, this was simply unacceptable! Before Camel ultimately did away with the original Camel Lights, that started to offer a free can of their newest product called "Snuss" with a purchase of their buy 2 packs at the price of one offer! So eventually out went the old Camel Lights, in came Snuss and their newer, crappier version of Camel Lights.

This was clearly a ploy to get smokers hooked on Snuss, a product they knew full well was far more problematic than just buying a pack of ciggerettes and smoking. This article touches on some good points, unfortunately Snuss is growing in availability and popularity and the health problems associated with these smokeless tobacco products have only just begun.

I quit smoking by using Snuss, and eventually quit the Snuss as well. Its been four years now, and I will never go back.

I would love to see the tobacco industry shut down permanently, and their money given to the victims they've purposely hooked on their products, as the expense of the publics health, to increase their bank accounts

"Dream, lofty Dreams..."

September 14, 2010 at 01:24 | Report abuse | Reply
    • mdl

You obviously know nothing about snus other than what your blanket anti-tobacco prejudices whisper in your ear. Camel snus IS nasty, although not for the reasons you think. Explain to me, if you will, why the Swedish, who are avid users of snus, have the lowest incidence or oral and bladder cancer among the industrialized nations. Hmm?

September 14, 2010 at 15:00 | Report abuse |
  33. Dan

Well, the AHA is now apparently no longer a health organization, but rather some sort of weird new religious cult...

"One study compared life expectancies of 35-year-old smokers with smokeless product users and nonusers. Smokers averaged a life expectancy nearly eight years lower than those who used smokeless tobacco or did not use tobacco (28.1 years versus 35.9 years in the latter two groups). Smokeless tobacco users averaged a life expectancy 15 days shorter than a nonuser."

So, if you smoke you lose 8 years of life on average.

If you use smokeless, you lose 15 days...

And they say this is not "safer"?

When your "science" becomes dogma – it's called religion.

I quit after 22 years of smoking using snus after exhausting all other options. Quick, easy, cheap....

Now 5 months without smoking... Now that my lungs work again I workout 6 days a week and have lost 25 lbs...

Not safer? Snus has saved my life.

September 14, 2010 at 01:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. snussyou

I quit a pack a day addiction 8 months ago by using Swedish snus (not the American garbage, General brand from Sweden). Numerous studies in Sweden show that snus is "safer" than smoking. The Amercan tobacco companies don't use enough nicotine in their "snus" rip off products to make them effective as a nicotine replacement smoking cessation method. They want American snus users to be addicted to BOTH snus and cigs. In the 8 months I have used Swedish snus, I have reduced my snus consumption by 90% and plan to be nicotine free by the end of the year. My lungs are healthier and I actually LOST weight quitting this way because I have more endurance and a stronger desire to exercise.

September 14, 2010 at 02:04 | Report abuse | Reply
    • mdl

you are spot on in your comments. I've been using Swedish snus for about 10 months now, along with an e-cig. I've lost a good deal of weight because I'm more active. I no longer have chronic asthma or bronchitis or shortness of breath. Doc is pleased that the blood pressure is waaaay down. AND, I just realized last week, that my nicotine consumption has decreased over this time period and continues to do so. Screw the AHA. This has been a win-win for me.

September 14, 2010 at 15:13 | Report abuse |
  35. Sherri

I was a smoker for 25 years and quit about a year ago. But I have no idea what snus is. What the heck IS that? I've heard about and seen someone using the electronic ciggs, but I've never heard of snus.

September 14, 2010 at 02:52 | Report abuse | Reply
    • snussyou

It's a spit-free Swedish form of American "dip" essentially (like Skoal with no spitting). It works better than nic gum (for me anyway) because it tastes like tobacco, so it helps you feed your psychological addiction as well. General brand original portion (they are pouches...not the loose version) is available in many American tobacco shops, but you can buy other brands online as well.

September 14, 2010 at 03:16 | Report abuse |
    • mdl

If you try it, go for the Swedish brands. The American brands, unfortunately, are not as flavorful, don't have the requisite nicotine levels to help people quit smoking AND the companies don't disclose their ingredients or manufacturing processes. Swedish snus is held to very strict production standards, by law and are under government supervision. All of the ingredients in any Swedish snus you buy are disclosed and are considered "food-grade."

September 14, 2010 at 15:18 | Report abuse |
  36. David

Electronic cigarettes will ultimately prove to be one of the great products of the 21st century and will end up saving millions of lives, but incredible as the technology is, they are still relatively unknown. In 2009 the FDA started a smear campaign against the e-cig, citing trace, and I mean TRACE amounts of carcinogens. They went so far as threatening to ban their sale and use, but their own science, which showed that e-cigs, in general, are 1400 times safer than tobacco cigarettes proved to be wind in the sails of responsible e-cig maufacturers who are now gaining ground and winning over smokers who want a better alternative. Find out more at myinlife.

September 14, 2010 at 04:24 | Report abuse | Reply
    • mdl

Further, that "trace" was found in a single sample of e-cig liquid from a suspect manufacturer in China. Tainted pet food and lead i kids' toys ring a bell? It certainly wasn't enough of a situation to cause the uproar it did. AND it was the proverbial "bad science."

September 14, 2010 at 15:03 | Report abuse |
    • Prince

the battery heats up the nitoicne and the smoke is actually just a vapor produced from the nitoicne. (they say there is no 2nd hand smoke, but what they mean is that there is no 2nd hand carcinogens. there is however a small amount of 2nd hand nitoicne. i'm basing this on the fact that my cousin decided to blow smoke from his e-cig into my cat's face, and then she started going crazy.(the stimulation from the nitoicne) dose anyone know the smokers hotline for felines? lol

July 1, 2012 at 07:27 | Report abuse |
  37. james

It'd b nice if we could get these poisons off the market.

September 14, 2010 at 08:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. commonsense

Hard to believe anything with comments such as:

"studies have found that nicotine replacement therapy–products including gum or patches– .... had NO increased cardiovascular risk. "

Pure rubbish.

September 14, 2010 at 08:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Mattski

If on a scale of 1 to 10 the smokeless tobacco problem is a 5, then the obesity problem is a 50. I think the AHA should devote its resources the real big problems. Smokeless tobacco is an easy target because it's not food. C'mon AHA, man up.

September 14, 2010 at 09:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. yoyo

worked within a tobacco company itself, nothing important, I have just "temped" there.. I will say I know people that have "dipped" for 20 years or more with not even the slightest side effect, not even stained teeth.. take a smoker for 20 years and see how they are. Can't breathe, they smell, stained fingers, teeth, etc.. I know, I have seen both. Thats a straight fact I have seen with my own eyes. Is it all like that? No but it is a chance you take.. Snus is a better alternative than anything really. The research is there to look for yourself if your interested.. but thats just for Swedish snus, not american I have no idea how its made. Go for brands such as General, Ettan, Catch..

September 14, 2010 at 09:34 | Report abuse | Reply
    • mdl

woah! lol! I JUST popped open a fresh can of Ettan and popped a portion into the old cheek! You're absolutely right. . .if people would do the research instead of relying on vested interests (read "Big Pharma") and talking heads for their info they'd be a lot smarter about this stuff. But it's too convenient and easy to use bogus "facts and figures" to rationalize already held prejudices.

September 14, 2010 at 15:07 | Report abuse |
  41. Sean

Smokeless tobacco increases the risks of cancers and strokes, eh? Well so does standing outside in the summer sun, but you don't see me walking around with an umbrella everywhere I go. Honestly, what happened to everyone's sense of adventure?

September 14, 2010 at 11:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. Chris

So so glad I don't use any of this stuff....don't even have to worry about whether or not it causes cancer.
    I smoked regularly for about 1 year, and then I met my wife.

September 14, 2010 at 13:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Super Dave

I'm just sick and tired of being "nickel and dimed" to death. After 35 years of smoking, I finally was able to quit by using Chantix. And Chantix is a cruel mistress. I had vivid dreams, mood swings, depression, everything bad minus suicidal thoughts. I stuck with it though, and haven't smoked for two years. I occaisionally dip, like when I'm cutting the grass or doing yard work, and so far don't even dip one can in two weeks. That being said, instead of nanny-state minded hypocrites dreaming up goofy crap, just make the damn things illegal, and don't allow them to be sold. Yes, the fed would lose tax revenue, but think how much would be saved medically. Wouldn't that offset the the cost of the taxes? Why, we could even repeal Obamacare!!! Unless, of course, Uncle Sugar is making more in tax revenue than he is spending on smoking related illness, and if he is, what makes Uncle Sugar any different than the tobbacco companies?

September 14, 2010 at 14:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. John Mel

For all you people who commented on SNUS – You're speaking from ignorance. DO YOUR HOMEWORK. There are MAJOR differences between SWEDISH SNUS and American snus and American smokless tobacco. Swedish Snus is regulated as a food product by the Swedish FDA, it's so safe is has NO warning label. You know why:
    Swedish Snus is is steamed. American snu & smokeless is NOT. American smokeless is fire cured which CREATES carcinogens.
    Swedish Snus is pasturized. Swedish men have used this product for almost 2 centuries, did you know Sweden has the lowest rate of lung cancer in greater Eurpoe. ALL American smokeless tobacco is filled with sugars, that's why it rots your teeth. Swedish Snus has NONE.
    If you swallow any kind of American smokeless you'll puke your guts out there's so much crap in it.
    Swedish Snus users don't even need to SPIT.
    If you'd like to reply, go do the research first. I smoked for 25 yrs and tried everything to quit. Snus finally worked for me.
    98.8 safer than smoking and ya know what? That's good enough for me.
    Average TSNA level in American smokeless is between 40-400PPM, Swedish Snus comes in 0.02-2.00PPM.

September 14, 2010 at 15:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. Bob

The AHA gets millions from Johnson and Johnson to lobby for legislation against Chantix competition.

September 15, 2010 at 09:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. Stubby

People should really do some research before making ignorant statements about smokeless tobacco. Even the US type smokeless is far less harmful then smoking. Swedish snus even more so. Every objective study points to that fact. It may not be 100% harmless but it is at least 98% less harmful then smoking.
    I quit a 40 year smoking habit with snus over 16 months ago and it was easy. Within 2 weeks of starting Swedish snus I had my last cigarette. The AMA is murdering people with there campaign of misinformation on smokeless tobacco. They have blood on there hands.

September 15, 2010 at 14:27 | Report abuse | Reply
    • snussyou

It was the same for me. After one week of using Swedish snus, I had NO desire to smoke. The cogs could be sitting right in the open next to the snus and I found myself actually preferring a snus over a smoke. The nicotine kick of Swedish snus is equal to or greater than a cigarette and I preferred the taste. In fact, after having a smoke a week or so after quitting, I was amazed that I ever thought they tasted good at all.....disgusting. It has taken me some time to reduce my snus use, but I will be snus (and nicotine) free the end of the year. Even for those who quit smoking using snus but never quit snus, It is still a much better addiction than smoking. I have never felt better in my life. The AHA and similar US health organizations should promote the concept of harm reduction.

September 16, 2010 at 00:10 | Report abuse |
    • Susanta

Hey 60 minutes,I was a smkeor for many years (Lucky Strike non-filter) a pack a day. I am an American so, I was first introduced to Snus by Camel Frost. Later, I found out about Swedish Snus. After that, I quit smoking outright. Haven't smoked since. Swedish Snus is great not only on your health but, just downright great in general. Thank you Snusify for your reviews I look for a new one on a daily basis. Thanks again.

July 1, 2012 at 14:46 | Report abuse |
  47. Frank

I used to use dipping tobacco but it made me puke twice so I switched to cigs. Nevermind cancer, snuff is just annoying (especially when it goes down the back of your throat) and will probably make you puke. lol

September 16, 2010 at 01:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. Mike

March 24, 2014 at 20:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. Top Car

I may have found something that is copyright infringement on associated content... What exactly happens if it's reported?. Does associated content nail down on the writer? Or is the content simply removed?. Is the writer charged with criminal offenses?. Thanks..

October 15, 2015 at 07:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. Alan Waler

I got my first tobacco on Littlecigarwarehouse, and I think its the best Smokey Mountain Snuff. on Smokey Mountain Snuff use linked to higher CVD riskhttp://littlecigarwarehouse.com/smokey-mountain-snuff-grape-tobacco-free.html

September 23, 2017 at 02:16 | Report abuse | Reply