home
RSS
September 2nd, 2010

Schools ban 'boobies' bracelets

Move it, Silly Bandz. There's another rubber bracelet getting students into trouble at schools.

Middle and high school students in South Dakota and central and northern California have been facing possible suspension and have had to remove their controversial bracelets that read “I heart boobies."In Rocklin, California,  a high school sophomore could be suspended after he refused to hand over a black bracelet with the bosom-embracing slogan, according to CNN affiliate KXTV. The 15-year-old said he wore the black bracelet because his grandmother died from breast cancer. He told the station that he owns various bracelets as a show of support– including the well-known yellow Livestrong bracelet and the pink survivor bracelet from Susan G. Komen For the Cure.

Another school district in California does not allow students to wear the bracelets in class because its dress code specifically prohibits 'sexually suggestive language or images.' "That is why jewelry with sexually suggestive language like 'boobies' is not allowed on our campuses,” wrote Kelly Avants, the director of communications at the Clovis Unified School District. “Please understand that the issue is related specifically to the choice of language on these bracelets and the fact that it specifically violates our existing dress code policy.”

The school district supports worthy causes like breast cancer awareness in different activities such as T-shirt sales and volleyball matches, Avants added. Students wearing the bracelets have been asked to remove them until the end of the school day.

The schools in California are not the only ones asking students to leave the rubber bracelets at home. USA Today reported on a similar controversy in schools in South Dakota.

“We understand that some people find ‘I love boobies’ offensive,” said Kimmy McAtee, the spokeswoman for the Keep A Breast Foundation, the non-profit that makes the school contraband. “Many others find it refreshing in the sea of pink ribbons. We’re really taking a positive style of communication and taking something scary and taboo, and making it positive and upbeat.”

Keep A Breast has sold more than 2 million bracelets, she said. The bracelets proclaiming love for breasts began five years ago and started becoming controversial in February as kids started wearing them to school. The buzz died down during the summer and picked back up when school started, McAtee said.

“Tell kids they’re not allowed to wear something, they’ll buy five of them,” she said.

The slang doesn’t offend Donna Charpied, a two-time breast cancer survivor who had a double mastectomy in 2006.

“I think everybody loves boobies,” Charpied, of Manorville, New York, said. “If the end result is a positive thing for the cause, that’s a good thing. I don’t find it offensive at all.” Read more about Charpied.

The bracelets are meant to reach youth.

“We feel the best ways to prevent cancer is to start young and to educate them at that age when they’re developing breasts and starting to learn about bodies,” McAtee said.

Tweens challenged by grown-up malady: Breast cancer

Surely some of the kids are wearing the bracelets to get a giggle, instead of spreading breast cancer awareness, McAtee conceded.

"If it gets the conversation started, we’ve done our part,” she said.

1. Maria

My daughter bought two of these bracelets at Warped Tour this year – one for me and one for her. Hers is black and mine is pink. We wear them all the time, as a reminder that we need to fight breast cancer, that we need to be proactive in our health, that we need to find a cure for breast cancer, etc. We never intend anything sexual by wearing them. I'm 40, by the way, and I love my bracelet.

September 2, 2010 at 23:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Dignan

Ok really? We can't even say "boobies" anymore? More tyranny from the whiny minority...

September 2, 2010 at 23:15 | Report abuse | Reply
    • adam

You can say it all you want but you only make yourself sound like an immature fool.

September 3, 2010 at 00:47 | Report abuse |
    • UveGot2BKiddingMe

-Adam- You are the one that sounds like the idiot. How immature is it to think people are "Fools" for using the word Boobies?? You probably say that because you still feel uncomfertable when people say it!

September 3, 2010 at 14:40 | Report abuse |
  3. Dignan

And another thing, I would rather have a well spoken, socially conscious child than one who is repressed by overprotective parents. I shudder to think what will be deemed "inappropriate" next. I will seek out and proudly wear an "I <3 Boobies" bracelet in memory of my grandmother who died of breast cancer, she would've gotten a big kick out of it.

September 2, 2010 at 23:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Dan Swanson

My wife is a breast cancer survivor and I am a Health teacher. I wouldn't allow the bracelets in my room. There are so many other ways they can support the cause. It certainly would be a great discussion starter though.

September 2, 2010 at 23:30 | Report abuse | Reply
    • MikinAZ

But Dan – if you make it fun isnt it a good way o get'em started in supporting a good cause? let them grow up later? It's the 2010 version of, "go ahead, first ones free" – look how successful that was...

September 3, 2010 at 01:30 | Report abuse |
  5. ratkartz

The Taliban are running the US schools now.

September 3, 2010 at 00:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. tnnurse

I have always thought the "Save the Ta-Ta's" shirts are demeaning to the cause of ending breast cancer, and I can completely see the point of women who feel these juvenile slogans diminish the seriousness and point of the fight against breast cancer. These slogans emphasize the importance of women's breasts, not their lives. These slogans also make me less interested in participating in fund-raising with the organizations who sponsor these types of products.
    I also agree that these mamas' boys would not be so keen to wear a bracelet that says "I love guys' junk!" to support grandpa's fight against his private parts cancer. This is about juvenile treatment of women's bodies by kids whose parents are too eager to be their kids' friends to do their job as parents and teach them responsible behavior.

September 3, 2010 at 00:34 | Report abuse | Reply
    • AGeek

Do you have these kind of hangups about everything, or just human anatomy. You sound as if you'd be a lot to be around. ::eyeroll:: That's the great part about having so many organizations. You don't *need* to like the ones you don't agree with to still support a good cause. Pick the one that doesn't offend your delicate sensibilities and support them. Meanwhile, others will support like-minded, yet less-uptight organizations. Twixt the twain, the cause is still funded by both people. But hey, if it's all the same, would you mind not cramming your buzzkill mindset down everyone else's throat?

September 3, 2010 at 00:43 | Report abuse |
    • Nancy

I agree!!! You have said it all.
      The cutesie stuff is just for the purpose of being cute, not necessarily because it is the best way to support the cause.

September 3, 2010 at 10:10 | Report abuse |
  7. AGeek

"Boobies" is the plural of Booby – which is a #$@ing seabird in the genus Sula, morons. Unless you'd like to rewrite biology textbooks... and not for anything, but "boobies" is about as 'sexually suggestive' as "derriere". You're FAR more likely to catch a bad case of the giggles from the word "boobies" than anything else.

Holy crap. If this is what the school system is worried about policing and enforcing, our kids are wholesale screwed.

September 3, 2010 at 00:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. adam

There are many ways to promote breast cancer awareness but the terms boobies and tata's are juvenile and immature. They don't convey the seriousness that this form of cancer presents to women.

September 3, 2010 at 00:43 | Report abuse | Reply
    • AGeek

OOooh Noes! It's SERIOUS! Here's a newsflash; I want the person computing the target and filters for the radiation therapy to take it seriously. That's it. Everyone else better darn well laugh. You know why? It's GOOD FOR YOU. Whatever is going to happen is going to happen. As long as you're not a moron or miscreant about how you're treating the problem, being serious about it is going to do you absolutely NO more good than laughing about it. In fact, multiple studies have demonstrated that being so uptight and serious will, most likely, kill you far sooner.

September 3, 2010 at 00:46 | Report abuse |
    • adam

My mother has been through Breast Cancer treatment once and my aunt has three times....they aren't laughing.

September 3, 2010 at 01:04 | Report abuse |
    • AGeek

Let's see.. I lost my grandmother to breast cancer. I've had an aunt lose a breast to it. I've had two friends both end up with double mastectomies. Interestingly, they all laughed. Sure, they weren't laughing when they were puking from chemo. But when they pulled out clumps of hair, they made fun of it. Whey the look at themselves in the mirror and it's obvious where they once fed babies, there is now nothing ...they make jokes. These are STRONG women who realize they're FAR more powerful than any disease. They realize life is a gift. That it's too short to be serious about everything. They know the value in having a solid bellylaugh with people who love them and care if they're around tomorrow. These are women who have stared this beast in the face, and with wet eyes, laughed in the face of that demon to let it know that it would NOT beat them out of enjoying life.

I'm terribly sorry that this has happened to your mother and your aunt. There's no disrespect intended. I'm relaying what I've seen from women in my life who have dealt head-on with this beast. As long as you have no choice but to go along for the right, you might as well laugh when you can.

September 3, 2010 at 01:13 | Report abuse |
    • mtngrrll

adam, I am truly sorry about your mother and your aunt, but I have to agree with AGeek. You absolutely have to find a way to laugh at your cancer. I have breast cancer and went through a total mastectomy that didn't even leave skin behind. Humor was the ONLY thing that kept me going. One of my best friends had gone through multiple lumpectomies and chemo about 8 years earlier, and I would joke with her and others about how this was finally my big chance to have big boobs when they did the reconstruction, about what kind of wild wigs I wanted to wear, etc. Laughing in the face of death is necessary for life, or you will always live in fear. I have beat it for now, and knowing that, means I can do it again if I have to.

September 3, 2010 at 20:25 | Report abuse |
  9. adam

So if the boys grandfather gets prostate or testicular cancer, I wonder if he will go to school wearing a shirt the reads "I Love Tally Whackers".

September 3, 2010 at 00:50 | Report abuse | Reply
    • AGeek

testicular cancer bracelet = 'I <3 Giggle Berries'

September 3, 2010 at 00:59 | Report abuse |
  10. tony

try going to gerson.org instead. the life you save could be your own.

September 3, 2010 at 00:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. dave

"The bracelets are meant to reach youth"...great marketing idea, eh?

September 3, 2010 at 01:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. MikinAZ

I would rather have the altitude of boy's pants monitored than this – You know the ones...shirt hangs down but you know if the wind blows you'll see the boxers. I'd rather we focus on learning some class instead of teaching them to be uncomfortable about differences in anatomy. America the prude "boobies" c'mon religious right...

September 3, 2010 at 01:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. lohocla

I think at some point we need to be offended about others being offended and see if we can start a movement on that.

I mean, seriously, 99.9% of us have to watch our step in fear of offending "someone", so how about we call form something like the aclu or gay and lesbian association and formally declare that we're being persecuted by those being offended by anything and everything.

Loh

September 3, 2010 at 01:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Planeboy1324

People need to calm down. This is in no way inappropriate or offensive to anyone. The profits go to a good cause and this is a great way of making money. It's a fad so everyone's buying one, and it helps that student are seeing them being worn at school, these are their peers after all. This isn't distracting like tech decks, so lets just be happy its raising money for a good cause.

September 3, 2010 at 01:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Jonathan

See with me bein the smartass that I am I would have said.... what you don't want me loving a seafaring bird??

September 3, 2010 at 03:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Ken

You have to realize the policy deals with clothing and such of a sexually suggestive nature. It has nothing to do with the cause behind the apparel. Schools are required to equitably enforce dress code policies, otherwise, enterprising students, alongwith their supporting parents, find ways to undermine the legitimacy of the policy because it wasn't equally enforced. Please save your breath if you're going to say that isn't true, I have previously spent 10 years teaching in th classroom and that is precisely the kinds of things some students and their parents do. It's not the issue of breast cancer being denied, it is the policy being enforced.

September 3, 2010 at 03:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. i got it

Change it to "I LOVE SWEATER PODS" then the school cant ban s***.

September 3, 2010 at 03:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Dan

This just distracts from the kids' ability to learn, since now every kid has to have a Boobies bracelet to be cool. I was originally against school uniforms, but kids should focus on school work and not be spending time and effort to look cool or get there parents to buy them the next big thing. Also, in a lawsuit happy country, there will always be some lawyer or parent that will file a sexual harrassment suit that the school will have to defend.

September 3, 2010 at 04:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Dave

So, just because a portion of the populace finds breasts stimulating, every mention of them is sexual? Forgive me for being naive, but aren't sex organs between our legs?

September 3, 2010 at 05:36 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chadrock

The most important sex organ is between the ears. In our society, they are also located on the female chest as well as the aforementioned groin area.

Your naivety is forgiven.

September 3, 2010 at 12:01 | Report abuse |
  20. colashoc

Right. When in doubt LOOK TO THE LAW OF THE LAND!! School kid's, if you have never heard of Mary Beth Tinker then Google her. She wore a black arm band in school. The case went to the Supreme Court. Students, you do not leave your rights at the school house door. Don't think, KNOW. The cause that this young man supports is indeed worthy, but is it is the Constitution and cases like Tinker that define his right to wear the bracelet not public opinion. If I were that young man's parent I'd print out the the Tinker case and then fight the Saturday school crap.

September 3, 2010 at 06:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Darnit

I heart boobies!
    I heart a$$!
    I heart kitties too!
    Mmmmmmmmmm.....

September 3, 2010 at 07:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. SaveTheTaTas

SAVE THE TA-TAS!!!

September 3, 2010 at 07:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Tim L

Could you imagine a boy wearing a braclet that said I heart nuts or i heart balls thats just wrong for the people talking about prostate cancer. I am sure they would prefer I heart boobies. i really dont see the harm, but unless you have lived it meaning having a loved one with cancer, most of these if they are boys are doing it for the pun more so than support. I have four boys while only one would wear them for the right reason the other 3 would wear them to get a rise out of people just saying. but when they buy these in hind sight they are support it. by the way I HEART BOOBIES TOO.

September 3, 2010 at 07:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. steeve-o

Sure it get the conversation started. About her boobies, and her boobies, and those boobies over there....

September 3, 2010 at 07:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. fireybuddha

this country will be a far better place when VIOLENCE is shunned and sex and sexuality are celebrated in a healthy way.

September 3, 2010 at 07:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. susan

an awareness campaign that catches the attention of our youth is amazing. for our public school system to reject and shame such a serious health issue is a disappointment.

September 3, 2010 at 08:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Laughed

People crack me up... now on to play with some BOOBIES.

September 3, 2010 at 08:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Neil

Look... cancer is a terrible thing, but I don't go to work/school with a bracelet that says "I love testicles!" to show support for those suffering from testicular cancer. How about "I love colons :::::?"

Yeah it raises money and yeah it's not a big deal for wearing it. But, don't make such a big deal if your employer/teacher asks you to take it off. Show some class for God's sake. There are things that matter in this world and there are things that don't. Being unable to wear a bracelet for a couple hours does not matter. Honor your grandmother with your actions, not your jewelry.

September 3, 2010 at 08:26 | Report abuse | Reply
    • AGeek

Honor your grandmother by acquiescing to some backwards, illegal, moronic wish by a school board to protect the delicate sensibilities of some animal abuser who's parents don't give a rip? My grandmother would have beaten you senseless with her cane.

September 3, 2010 at 08:56 | Report abuse |
    • Bee

@Neil I have no problem with "I ♥ colons" as long as the bracelets are made here in the USA and not with some cancer laced material in China.

September 3, 2010 at 12:50 | Report abuse |
  29. Glorifundel

"The schools in California are not the only ones asking students to leave the rubber bracelets at home."

Thats just great, with teen pregnancies as bad as they are, school districts are asking students to leave their rubbers at home.

September 3, 2010 at 08:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Joe

Just spent my morning coffee reading this hilarious thread. Only the US would have such a problem with the term *boobies* [snicker snicker] , [some soccer mom runs to call the PTA]. Anywhere else in the world would be likely to get away with "I Love Breasts" without much troubles. Why?? Because no one would bit@h, and the day would go on. The more you feed a fire, the bigger it gets, you dolts!

September 3, 2010 at 09:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Mom of 4

I have lost many dear friends to BREAST cancer. It's not boobie cancer, ta-ta cancer, tit cancer, jugs cancer or "the girls" cancer. It is BREAST cancer. This bracelet and the T-shirts are for dumbing down the seriousness of this disease. It is offensive because it reduces this devastating disease to the Hugh-Hefnerish immaturity of the 60's by appealing to people with stupid slang terms. It is BREAST cancer, and should be addressed as such. If you are serious about raising awareness for this disease, then treat it seriously.

September 3, 2010 at 09:56 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sam

I disagree. It's breast cancer AND boobie cancer AND all of the rest. It doesn't matter what you call it, it's serious. If there wasn't something like "I [heart] boobies" or "Save the Tatas," serious causes like this could get lost in the din of every other serious cause. When everyone is aware and everyone is getting checked, THEN we can concentrate on the specifics of the message, but until then getting the message out is more important. It would be offensive if NOBODY talked about it. Having dealt with the amount and variety of cancers as my family has, I am not offended by these light-hearted publicity stunts because I know that it brings attention to them. One day, hopefully, they can be a thing of the past...but it needs to be in front of the public as often and in as many ways as possible.

September 3, 2010 at 10:09 | Report abuse |
    • Edi

I agree with you, Mom4. This is just another way for teenage boys to giggle as they usually do about girls' breasts. My mother had a great sense of humor when she was treated for cancer but there came a time when it wasn't funny anymore. Nobody laughed when we watched her die. I would never, ever wear a bracelet like that and reduce the respect I have for her and others to a tasteless term. There is plenty awareness out there now. I don't think the 15 year old should be suspended, but if that's what their school dress code says, then so be it. I'd rather see him wear a bracelet that says "I love grandmothers" but I'm sure his peers would make fun of him.

September 3, 2010 at 15:52 | Report abuse |
  32. Sam

I'm having trouble understanding that "boobies" is "sexually suggestive language." Maybe I'm just a little to liberal, but really?!?!? I'm thinking people in these school districts are a bit too worried about being seen as slacking off on their jobs. Has there been a rash of complains because a two-inch long word on a tiny rubber bracelet offended them? There are parts of the world where the human body is beautiful and appreciated and we live in a country were the mere mention of "boobies" can get you pulled from school. Give me a break....find something more important to complain about.

September 3, 2010 at 10:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. jf

Breast cancer runs in my family. I am not offended by this. whatever spreads awareness seems ok with me. its pretty rediculous that the word boobie is not allowed but half the school population can walk around with two bouncing ones on their chest. hmm, whats more stimulating to those young boys? when is this nation going to just relax and simply appreciate the human form for all its beauty and not try to hide and make it devious? boobs are life, boobs are beautiful. its that simple get over it already!

September 3, 2010 at 10:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Lori

Let us say that one of the california kids were visiting Boise, Idaho and that kid ate a delicious burger at
    Boobies restaurant (named after the owners dog), bought a Boobies t-shirt and chose to wear it to school. Would that kid have to go home and change his fav burger shirt ?

September 3, 2010 at 10:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. jellygirl

this is stupid. If you buy one of these, you support and help breast cancer. this isn't a bad thing

September 3, 2010 at 10:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Dave

The vast majority of the children admit that they themselves are wearing the bracelets due to the word 'boobies' on the bracelet. They openly admit that they don't care about breast cancer. They don't support the cause, they don't care about those affected, they are wearing the bracelets for shock value, to break the rules, and to cause strife. If they really do support the cause, then they can wear them outside of school and still support the cause. If they want to wear them for shock value, they can do that outside of school also.
    Honestly, at first, I thought the slogan was a nice touch, but now that kids are using them as an anti-establishment statement, I'm a little upset at the breast cancer organization that created it. They've reduced a major issue into a sexual slogan that is being misused by children that care nothing for the cause.
    To defend children that are misusing the bracelets goes against everything this cause should stand for.

September 3, 2010 at 10:59 | Report abuse | Reply
    • AGeek

You're missing the point. *Someone* spent money on that bracelet. Regardless of the kid's reason, that money is going to fund research. It's not like the *kids* are going to do the research! ::eyeroll::

September 3, 2010 at 11:28 | Report abuse |
    • Sam

I agree that it doesn't really matter the reason they're wearing it...all that matters is that someone ponied up the money for the cause. And if a "boobies" bracelet can disrupt school, the school has bigger problems than a 2oz bracelet. Kids are going to be "anti-establishment "...that's how kids work. If it's not a simple and HARMLESS bracelet, it'll be something else.

I like the earlier comment that a simple "boobies" bracelet is too sexually explicit for teenage boys, but the ACTUAL boobies on their classmates aren't. I hope that if the bracelet is too deviant for the school that they have a neckline ordinance as well...heaven forbid these weak-minded boys see a portion of a female breast...who knows what could go on!

September 3, 2010 at 15:22 | Report abuse |
  37. RigidPrinciples

Funny the teens can't wear boobies bracelets, yet they can show so much cleavage. It is like a competition in the schools to see who can show the most cleavage.

September 3, 2010 at 11:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. rayge

I don't get it. I would be offended if I seen someone who wore anything stating "I love boobies" after I just had two breasts removed. Because I don't have them, no one will love me? or I am not desirable?

September 3, 2010 at 11:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Mike

I don't know, I think this is kind of a slippery slope. Would you let your child wear a shirt that said "I love [insert racial epitaph]" to draw attention to the issue of racism against a certain group? What about "I love [offensive c-word that references part of a woman's body]" to draw attention to vaginal cancers? I don't think "bobbies" is particularly offensive, but where do you draw the line?

September 3, 2010 at 11:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. sd

How about bracelets for saving the "cats" .. ;-)

September 3, 2010 at 11:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Chadrock

Some of us don't understand that it's not the cause of breast cancer that is the issue. It's the verbage involved.

If this boy's grandfather died of penis cancer, would he wear a "I "heart" dicks" bracelet?

I doubt it.

September 3, 2010 at 11:54 | Report abuse | Reply
    • MikeMazzla

You are comparing the word boobie to dicks? lol Thats like having a bracelet that says I like pee pee. grow up

September 3, 2010 at 14:36 | Report abuse |
    • eeyore

Do enlighten everyone as to just how "boobies" is significantly different from "dicks", honey. Aside from the body parts they refer to, they're both juvenile.

September 3, 2010 at 23:10 | Report abuse |
  42. CSD

So much for "land of the free". This country is so uptight, so repressed, and so guilt-ridden as to be laughable. They're WORDS. Grow up. Man, what a country of dingbats.

September 3, 2010 at 11:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Austyn

Give me a break! This is insane! These bracelets are for a good cause and they bring more attention to it than pink ribbons do. I love this campaign and I've been wanting to go get a bracelet myself... I could probably wear it because I'm in college. High schools around here don't have a problem with it, and they shouldn't.
    And, I'd just flip it so you couldn't read it. That way, it'd be on, but not "against the rules"

September 3, 2010 at 12:15 | Report abuse | Reply
    • eeyore

How, exactly, does this bracelet "do more" for awareness than a pink ribbon? Got any stats to back up your assertion?

Do you even know what stats are?

September 3, 2010 at 23:12 | Report abuse |
  44. RigidPrinciples

How about they call them "I Love Titties" bracelets ? Maybe "I Love Tig Ole Bitties" ?

September 3, 2010 at 12:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. barbara

I think these bracelets are completely inappropriate. They are the "in" thing and that's why middle school kids want them. There are many other ways to support breast cancer than wearing these bracelets. I am happy to hear some schools are banning them in schools. They should. In my opinion there also should be some kind of dress code. I think short shorts are not appropriate for the school environement. There is many other clothing I think is inappropriate for school. I'm not saying don't dress what's "in" but some items of clothing are not for school. I hope more schools ban these "boobie" bracelets!

September 3, 2010 at 12:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. Tommas

Having "Pink" written across a girls A$$ isn't sexual at. jeez

September 3, 2010 at 12:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. mamaloco

Our schools here banned them. Girls wearing them here were trying to get out their lesbian preference. Other more appropriate bacelets are available to show support for breast cancer awareness. I agree; my son plays a ton of sports. Should the kids be able to wear, "I love balls"?

September 3, 2010 at 12:25 | Report abuse | Reply
    • MikeMazzla

If it was in support of funding for testicular cancer id let my son wear it...

September 3, 2010 at 14:35 | Report abuse |
  48. Dave

Guys – Its not about Freedom of Speech, or freedom for that matter. Its about respect, and just because you CAN do something, doesn’t me you SHOULD do something. We are making this punk kid a hero because he is stood up for wearing a sexual bracelet!! How about having a little respect for the educational system, and following the rules. Its not like we are taking away his liberties by asking him not to wear a bracelet. I am a big liberal, but if we keep going in the direction of "Doing what ever we want" there will come a time where no one has any respect for anyone, and no one has any respect for rules. Even if you don't want to admit it, we are dependent of everyone else to live, and its about time we start showing respect for other people. I am not offended by the bracelet, but if we start to allow kids to do what ever they want under the guise of freedom, it's not going to be a world I want my kids growing up in. Step back and look at the big picture. We have to relinquish some of our "rights" for the purpose of living in a peaceful society. People are getting so caught up in "Freedom" that they forget WHY our grandfathers, fathers, brothers, cousins, husbands and wives gave their lives in the wars. If my grandfather could see this now, he would roll over in his grave.

September 3, 2010 at 12:30 | Report abuse | Reply
    • AGeek

If *both* my grandfathers could see this now, they'd slap everyone stupid for spending energy on such an inane thing when there are FAR more pressing issues to deal with. It's a word. It's a silly word. Heck, it's genus of seabirds. We so eff'ing politically correct that we're mired down in pointless crap and not doing the work that NEEDS to be done!

September 3, 2010 at 13:46 | Report abuse |
    • carolyn

Amen – its all about respect – or lack of – this country's morals are going down the tube – boobies today and what's next I hate to think. From what I see on TV and my God hear in music I can't believe what is socially accepted!! I am no prude and partied my face off in my day but I really just can't believe what has happened in America and elsewhere. I have to monitor everything my kids listen to on radio and watch on TV. At 8pm they are seeing and hearing tons of sexual references why should that be!

September 3, 2010 at 13:53 | Report abuse |
  49. RigidPrinciples

In a free market, these issues resolve themselves. Schools that allow these bracelets go out of business, and schools that don't allow them stay in business. The People get exactly what they want and the market does not lie. That the market does not get to rule this issue shows the reason that homeschooling is becoming more popular than ever. The best part about homeschooling is you can thoroughly teach your children that most of what their government does is unconstitutional. Also, the kids can have AK practice during PE, all the while instructing them about their responsibilities in the upcoming bloody rebellion.

September 3, 2010 at 12:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. Bee

Ironically those things are MADE IN CHINA. I wonder how much cancerous causing material is in them?

September 3, 2010 at 12:33 | Report abuse | Reply