home
RSS
August 31st, 2010

Ripple effect seen from rising C-sections in first-time moms

One in three first-time moms are now delivering their babies by Caesarean section, according to a new study.

This has a tremendous ripple effect because most of these moms are likely to have repeat C-sections, says lead study author Dr. Jun Zhang.  "C-section in first-time mothers is increasing and VBAC (vaginal birth after C-section) is decreasing."

Zhang is a labor and delivery expert at the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, which funded the research.  He says his study, published in the American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology, also found that 44 percent of women who attempted vaginal delivery were induced, and in this group the C-section rate was twice as high as women who were not induced.

More research is needed to determine whether inducing labor leads to complications, which then make a C-section necessary, Zhang says.

Zhang also says the study suggests that doctors may not be patient enough.  Researchers found that with first time moms attempting natural delivery, the decision to deliver the baby by C-section was made before the recommended three hours of "second stage of labor" (when moms are pushing) or before the moms were at least 6 centimeters dilated, both short of the recommended guidelines set by the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.

Zhang and his co-authors analyzed electronic medical records from more than 200,000 births at 19 hospitals across the United States.

In March, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released data that shows that 32 percent of babies in the United States are delivered by C-section, which is the highest rate ever recorded and 53 percent higher than the rate in 1996.  Some pregnancy complications that could make a C-section more likely include the age of the mother, the mother's weight and twin or multiple pregnancies.

Zhang says scheduled repeat C-sections now contribute to almost a third of all Caesarean deliveries.  He says only one in six women even attempted natural delivery after having a C-section in a previous pregnancy.  "Prelabor Caesarean delivery due to a previous uterine scar (from previous C-section) was the most common reason for Caesarean section," the study said.  According to an NIH panel of experts on vaginal birth after Caesarean, the risk of uterine rupture is a common reason for doctors to suggest a repeat C-section, even though that risk is lower than 1 percent.

Carol Hogue,  a maternal and fetal health expert at Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia,  was on the NIH panel.  She strongly believes that moms-to-be need to be better educated before they have their baby. "C-section itself is not a benign thing," says Hogue. While many people may no longer view Caesareans as a major operation, she says women need to remember that there are risks
for a mother because it is still major surgery, which can include complications with anesthesia and scarring.  'The process of labor helps the baby survive," Hogue adds.

Just last month, ACOG reaffirmed its guidelines that VBAC is a viable option and urged physicians to counsel women who have had one or two previous C-sections to consider delivering their baby naturally.

The study concludes that if fewer women were induced, if better guidelines for the timing of Caesareans existed and if women were better educated about their ability to deliver a baby after a surgical birth,  it could help lower the number of C-sections in this country.

1. JJ Stuart1

It's not medicine anymore, it's business. The providers want to make money. The AMA said last year one-third of all MRIs are medically unnecessary. I belive that principle applies here. The problem with health care isn't that we smoke or are overweight, it's that the providers milk the system so bad on top of creating multi-million dollar diagnostic machines aimed at alleviateing a marginal amount of pain, the cost of which permeates all levels of the pricing structure. It's medicine, it may hurt. Maybe we should accept that as the basis for keeping health care costs in line.

August 31, 2010 at 15:02 | Report abuse | Reply
    • TDomer

That's all well and good. However, a large reason we see more MRIs and other diagnostic tests is our sue happy culture. The doctors need to "prove" they did all they could, i.e. lots of tests. Doctors are forced to protect themselves from some patients at the expense of other patients.

August 31, 2010 at 15:11 | Report abuse |
    • Teresa Linn

Midwives, midwives, midwives. Better outcomes, across the board in every study done!! Consumer education is needed. If women flocked to miwvies in droves. This issue would be non-existant. Health care trends always have a consumer driven aspect. Women uneducated on the issue tend to defer judgement to their doctors. Doctors think with their pocket books and golf schedules. Lawsuits are a factor, but not the only factor.

September 1, 2010 at 04:27 | Report abuse |
    • HappyChi

Oh, JJ, I agree-
      Those of us in our 30s have mothers who had c-sections only if there was a radical emergency- most of our moms were heroic and spent a day or two in labor- and breast-fed us. Our generation ( not sure of your age) has fewer cases of autism, ADHD, etc. Women are afraid of natural childbirth now; think it will disfigure them, sexually, or make them less attractive ( which is ironic, because natural birth and breast-feeding shrink the uterus and birth canal more quickly than a post C-section birth!.....), and docs ( and parents) view birth as an "extraction" now, rather than a natural process, to be celebrated. We have epidurals for pain- no longer to incisions harm women during natural birth, and C-sections should only be done if life is at risk ( or either or both parties). Our culture now is like the Matrix- get that "thing" out of me, and let me get back into a size 4......my mom had three of us- and was hot as hell- wore a size six into her 50s, and all three of us were raised on good food, starting with breast milk (NEVER formula)- and if anyone self-weaned, they got whole milk, and homemade babyfood. It's not hard to steam fruits and veg, people.
      I'm saddened by how many kids don't get the final exposure to mom's chemicals in a natural birth- they confer a great deal of health, even before breast-feeding. There's a good reason, it seems, that the birth rate is dropping here, and the child illness rates are exploding- and with all of the other factors involved, one can't rule this out as part of the holistic scenario, alas.
      And a final thought- let's think of Darwin. If it takes 5 years and multiple injections, artificial insemination- whatever, maybe one's body isn't MEANT to carry a child-and we are surprised at all of the multiple births, diseases, etc.....I miscarried twice. Clearly, my body wasn't meant to give birth. Maybe we will adopt a child from the USA who needs a home- and not a perfect pink infant, but someone who is 10 years old+, who wants nothing more than love and safety. Time to look at the bigger picture, I think.............

September 1, 2010 at 10:24 | Report abuse |
    • Janet

HappyChi - you bring up some great points. However, I somewhat disagree with your standpoint on breastmilk. While yes, it is the ideal to feed your baby with breastmilk, sometimes this is not an option. Some mothers don't produce enough, aren't comfortable with it, etc. I for one was in school and working full-time, and a single mom, so bottle fed was the best option for both my baby and I. My sister-in-law tried to breastfeed but had so much pain from the experience, she too had to give it up. It worked so much better switching to a bottle, both baby and mother were more comfortable. You are doing a disservice to the mothers out there that choose to bottle feed over breastfeeding. Infant formula nowadays is just as good for babies, and provides all the nutrients they need.

Teresa Lin - Midwives are the best! I had a certified nurse midwife and loved the experience. I was still able to deliver in a hospital, have an epidural, and a doctor was on hand should complications arise; but I must say it was a great and wonderful moment in my life. They were so compassionate and really focused on you and your baby.

September 1, 2010 at 13:57 | Report abuse |
    • Gina

Janet, that is not the case...breast milk is the best option for the baby in all cases except for certain diseases or medications. Formula is only ever a better option for the parent. The science of formula still hasn't caught up with breast milk–while they are closer than they were before, formulas still do not provide the immune benefit (breast milk contains antibiotic, antiviral, and antiparisitic agents AND produces specific agents against pathogens in the mother's environment). They just can't do that for formula. So if you CAN do it, you should. If your sister was feeling pain, she was likely getting a bad latch, and should have consulted with a lactation expert.

I'm not condemning you–I formula feed myself, I was just pointing out that you are incorrect about it being the best choice for your baby. If you had HIV or did bad drugs, then sure, but not just because it didn't fit your schedule.

June 1, 2012 at 06:38 | Report abuse |
  2. Sue in NJ

Most hospitals no longer ALLOW VBACs due to the liablity they would face should something go wrong. Don't bother educating docs and mothers – deal with the lawyers and insurers. Women have very little choice in the matter any more.

August 31, 2010 at 15:15 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dawn

I have to agree with this. I had an emergency C-section with my first and was not given a choice with my second. Drs and hospitals are more concerned with heading off lawsuits than helping their patients.

August 31, 2010 at 15:58 | Report abuse |
    • pregnantmom

I'd have to disagree here. If you are not given a choice for your 2nd pregnancy by the physician you are seeing for prenatal care, you as an informed female consumer can always shop around and find another doctor who WILL do a VBAC and who has experience doing VBACs. You're the CUSTOMER, they're selling a service here. It's your very personal choice which route to go.

August 31, 2010 at 16:04 | Report abuse |
    • C-sections blow

Re: pregnantmom

You can be an informed consumer all you want, but when the nearest hospital that will even consider letting you do a VBAC is over an hour away, your options are pretty limited.

August 31, 2010 at 22:07 | Report abuse |
    • luckymom

In plenty of areas there are NO doctors who will perform a VBAC. Not much of a "personal choice". A doctor will often try to intimidate a mother who wants one too, by exaggerating the risks of VBAC (and of course ignoring the risks of c-section). In reality as many have pointed out the legal risks to doctors/hospitals of VBAC are much higher than the legal risks of c-section. That's what it's all about. C-sections are considered the standard now, so the climate in the "birth industry" for those who want something different (like best health care instead of best lawsuit avoidance) is very hostile. Thank goodness for the midwives around the country who are following the EVIDENCE instead of the prevailing medical culture. Unfortunately in some states their hands are tied as well—in some places the midwives who want to do VBACs can't, because some states require doctor's "supervision" of midwives, and they can't always find VBAC-friendly doctors.

September 1, 2010 at 09:46 | Report abuse |
    • Dr. Russ

I'm a retired OBG. wIn order to be safe doing a VBAC, the Anesthesia Doc AND the OR crew need to be in the hospital while Mom is in labor (read BEING PAID). If there is another operation going, a second crew must be on standby. This simply is not possible in many community hospitals. Yes, the risk of rupture is only 1%, but if you do enough VBAC's you will have a uterine rupture, and the baby must be delivered immediately.

September 6, 2010 at 12:55 | Report abuse |
    • Gina

Dr. Russ, don't those same people have to be there for a C-section? They had to be when I had one...in fact there were multiple anesthesiologists there because the first one couldn't properly find a gap in my spine.

June 1, 2012 at 06:41 | Report abuse |
  3. momoftwo

I was induced at 40 weeks both times because of gestational diabetes. While I'll agree that the system does get abused, there are medical reasons for some of us to take less than natural avenues. I firmly believe that my babies and I are here and healthy because of my doctor's advice.

August 31, 2010 at 15:17 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Christina

I'm right there with you. I had gestational diabetes as well. My Doc wanted to induce me between 39 and 40 weeks. I went into natural labor the day I was to be induced. We monitored and after 15 hours of labor my first child was born during an emergancy c-section. His heart rate dropped dangerously low during the pushing stage.
      My doctor made the call for a c-section and got my son out in less than a minute. She saved his life because he was not breathing when he was born and was horrifyingly blue. If she hadn't made the call my son would have most likely not survived.
      I sorely wish to be able to do VBAC but my doctor is very wary since the reason for my first c-section ended up being "placental failure" aka my placenta stopped working and she thinks my GD had something to do with it.

August 31, 2010 at 15:49 | Report abuse |
    • Cassandra

But there is research available that suggests that an induction for gestational diabetes has very little value, if any.

August 31, 2010 at 19:13 | Report abuse |
    • Dr Perry Fisher

OUCH! big baby big pain

August 31, 2010 at 22:43 | Report abuse |
    • Karen

I'm in the same situation. If I don't go into labor soon they're going to have to induce. The reasons I was given were a) the placental function tends to decrease faster in diabetic patients and b) dystocia. Apparently babies of diabetic moms tend to grow asymmetrically, so their head may pass just fine but their shoulders or chest get stuck.

I was never really opposed to a c-section until I found out how hard it is to get a VBAC these days. My mom had two, so I thought it was pretty standard. Both the hospitals that my doctor has rights to do not allow VBACs. So if I do end up getting a c-section, I'd have to swap OBs and go to a hospital much further away if I wanted a VBAC. I realize that a c-section can be life-saving; I just don't want to be locked into one every time.

September 1, 2010 at 10:35 | Report abuse |
    • Gina

Hospitals cannot legally force you to have a C-section. There are organizations that will help you if the hospital refuses (check ahead of time!). Do NOT sign a consent form for a C-section if you don't want one to happen unless it's an emergency. You can put a line through any procedure you don't want on the consent form–just be sure to initial the change.

June 1, 2012 at 06:43 | Report abuse |
  4. Keeley

I wish someone with actual medical smarts had written this. I'm really interested in knowing how one "induces pregnancy"

August 31, 2010 at 15:25 | Report abuse | Reply
    • pregnantmom

You induce labor by giving the pregnant woman pitocin or another labor inducing drug through IV. that's how you induce labor. no need to be rude or insulting to the writer for that reason. It's a common medical procedure which IMO is way too common.

August 31, 2010 at 15:58 | Report abuse |
    • pregnantmom

and once again I just re-read what you wrote, and what the article says, and I see what you're talking about, I didn't catch that before.

Haha, I guess there are several ways to induce pregnancy, but I don't think any of them are being discussed in this article!

August 31, 2010 at 16:00 | Report abuse |
    • Kate

Nice catch!

August 31, 2010 at 16:20 | Report abuse |
    • CR

Haaaaaa. Good question. Do Barry Manilow and chocolate induce pregnancy?

August 31, 2010 at 17:42 | Report abuse |
    • Don Draper

Well, you see, when a man and woman love each very much... never mind.

September 1, 2010 at 11:12 | Report abuse |
  5. Louise

C-sections pay more. The rest of the report is window dressing.

August 31, 2010 at 15:35 | Report abuse | Reply
    • CR

True. I work for the enemy [health insurance – I hate it, too] and on average we pay $1000 more to our in-network providers for C-sections [around $3500] than vaginal births, or VBAC's [generally around $2300]

August 31, 2010 at 18:01 | Report abuse |
    • Jen

At my doctors office it cost me $100 more out of my pocket to have csection than a vaginal delivery.

September 1, 2010 at 11:11 | Report abuse |
  6. Jimmy

My spouse works in the medical field. Even she tells me that doctors order the most outrageous medical tests and procedures because a) it makes money b) insurance/medicare/medicaid covers it c) it covers their a$$ from a lawsuit. Some of these procedures are prone to do more harm to the patient than necessary. The c-section is just another case of this growing problem.

August 31, 2010 at 15:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. pari

My doctor ordered a C-Section at 40w and 5 days.An ultrasound done at 40w4d estimated the babies weight to be around 9.5 lbs. She scared the hell out of us, saying that the child might have dislocated shoulders at birth due to large size. At birth my baby weighed 7.5 lbs. Its just a money making business. I ma pregnannt again and fighting for a VBAC and if my luck is with me, i will not let the stupid money making doctors have their way. Once a woman has c section,it is a totally big fight to go natural the next time. And don't forget the complications from previous scar, like rupture, low lying placenta etc.
    In some cases it becomes very necessary to get a c-section,but m problem is with the doctors who create problems just to push into c section.
    Business of being born is an awesome movie/documentary. Only in USA C-section is money making deal,whereas in Europe 70% of births are still not in hospital, they are done by very well trained mid wives. That is what we need.

August 31, 2010 at 15:56 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kate

Sounds to me like you made a decision to have a c-section after the doctor did her job by presenting you with what could happen if you tried to deliver a 9.5 pound baby.

You made the decision you thought was best for yourself and your child.

All women that have a c-section get that choice. We are not forced to go under the knife to have our babies ripped out of us.

August 31, 2010 at 16:18 | Report abuse |
    • Tiffani

Kate, not all of us have choice. I had a stroke when I was 16 and the doctor MADE me have a c-section with my first pregnancy. I plan on having another baby soon, but given my stroke and first child with c-section, I have no chance of having a VBAC. We don't all choose to have a c-section!!

August 31, 2010 at 18:19 | Report abuse |
    • rationalguy

pari, you have a choice...use a midwife and stay at home for your delivery...walk the talk...I bet you won't.

August 31, 2010 at 19:23 | Report abuse |
    • Julie

Just a note to say that docs present the weight estimate as fact...but in reality it is just that, an estimate. Remember when they give you a number they are statistically likely to be off in either direction by a pound or two. Usually with late babies they overestimate to justify their position on c-section. Let's also not forget that womens' pelvises can expand, so that birthing a 10-11 lb baby isn't a crazy thing, as they like to suggest.

September 1, 2010 at 07:23 | Report abuse |
    • rbnlegend

Weight estimates based on ultrasound are a guess, and are substantially wrong more often than they are right. Ultrasound showed my daughter to be, I forget the numbers, but a "normal" size. The little old lady at the grocery store took one look at my wife the day before she went into labor, got really wide eyes and said "big baby, you gonna have big big baby" (her english wasn't great). At birth my daughter weighed 10 pounds 2 oz.

The doctor who told you your baby would have dislocated shoulders did a great job of scaring you, and a terrible job of informing you. Scared you right into a proceedure that let him cut, let him be the hero of the day, and made him more money.

September 1, 2010 at 07:57 | Report abuse |
    • Karen

People seem to have so much distrust and hatred for their doctors (or anyone in the medical profession). Seriously, if you can't work with your physician and trust their judgment then why did you hire them? No, they're not always going to be right. But the two of you need to work together to figure out the best course of action for yourself and the baby given the information that you have.

September 1, 2010 at 10:48 | Report abuse |
    • FLmom

I also was coerced into a csection for "big baby". My daughter did end up being 9.5 pounds, but other women in my family have delivered 9 and 10 pound babies, no problem. While trying for another child I also ended up having an ectopic pregnancy and losing a tube. My surgeon told me that my only risk factor for the ectopic was the prior cesarean. I am finally pregnant again with what seems to be a healthy pregnancy, and I am planning a VBAC (at home with a midwife).

September 3, 2010 at 13:53 | Report abuse |
  8. Anna

Obstetricians are the most frequently sued physicians!!!! The problem is not in the hospitals trying to MAKE money, it is due to physicians trying their best NOT TO GET SUED. The hospital I work in almost closed down this year, largely due to its inability to pay the Ob/ Gyn departments MALPRACTICE PREMIUMS. Ob/gyn are terrified of being sued, and the rising number of CSections is a direct result of this.
    The health care system is broken by the rising number of people trying to win the medical lottery, and the increasing costs of malpractice coverage. Start with a TORT reform, and see the physicians start actually having the courage to practice real medicine. At least 50-60% of cat scans, lab work, and Xrays ordered in our Emergency Department is out of fear of being sued. Some estimate even more. Yet, we will still over order uneccessary tests proving that the patient is fine simply to have evidence backing us up "just in case".

August 31, 2010 at 16:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Why unneccessary?

I think it is interesting that most people in this form think that extra/unneccessary tests are being run to appease patients, yet everyone wants to have "informed" patients. If the patient doesn't feel that they are "cured" or received the correct diagnosis then maybe more tests are neccessary. Why wouldn't a doctor want a second "opinion" from a scientific test. I would want a actual scientifically based test to diagnose me verses the opinion of a doctor. Sure doctors get sued and that makes prices high, but they wouldn't loose the lawsuits if they had been "right" – something went wrong and that's why they are being sued. I would rather an extra test or two be run, so that I am sure I received the correct diagnoses than to go home and get worse or die because someone was wrong.

August 31, 2010 at 16:24 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Anna

Doctors do not lose lawsuits for being wrong. Even in cases of the sickest patients coming through the door, ones where no miracle would have saved them from a bad outcome, they get sued for the death despite doing everything they could. A perfect example was one I recently heard from a Queens hospital: A man came into the ER stabbed in the heart. By the time he walked in through the door he was unconscious and clinically dead, and there was no heart rate or blood pressure. The ED staff cut his chest open, fixed the hole in his heart, the surgeons ran him to the operating room, and this man lived. The chances of survival in this kind of injury are less than 1%!
      The man, survived, walked out of the hospital, and then sued the entire ER and surgical staff for not diagnosing a small wrist fracture on arrival to the ED. When he got stabbed he fell onto his hand and sustained a small crack in one of his wrist bones, not obviously visible from the outside, and remember, he was unconscious when he came in, therefore could not complain of pain. Not wanting to sustain the cost of going to court, the hospital settled for $20,000. This resulted in a mark on the record of the doctors who saved his life! This is NOT a benign matter- it makes it impossible for those doctors to get a job in the future in other hospitals or states. In some states, even if the doctors/ nurses are declared not guilty, the fact that they were involved in a lawsuit is a mark on the record. You are being proclaimed a bad health care provider, even if you did nothing wrong!

Please keep in mind that the testing is not entirely benign. We are now finding more and more studies that cat scanning increases your lifetime risks of cancers, especially in young children. A perfect example is a child who falls and bumps their head. The child looks great in the ER, never passed out, has a completely normal (thorough) neurological exam. Yet, there is a bump on the head and the parents want a CT. The thing is, in this case the risk of cancer later in this childs life is a lot greater than the remote chance of a bleed, and we are reluctant to expose such a young brain to radiation. The medical community is just now understanding the connection between CTs and cancers later in life, and the exact numbers probably will not be known for a number of years. If it were my child, I would not want the CT- it is most definitely NOT a simple, benign test, and its only purpose would be to put the parents mind at ease. We often observe the patient for some time and send them for follow up with their doctor in the morning- I would rather do this than irradiate a tiny persons brain.

August 31, 2010 at 16:58 | Report abuse |
    • ljcjec

In response to Anna, your statements about CT scans are just scary. My husband accidentally dropped my daughter on the garage floor at 4 months old. She had three fractures in her skull. She ended up being fine, but of course a CT scan was done to make sure her brain wasn't bleeding. I would do the same thing over again, but I hate the thought that I could have increased my child's risk of cancer.

August 31, 2010 at 22:46 | Report abuse |
  10. casey

I had a csection in 2008 for my daughter (my first) my water did break and i was in labor but they gave me pitocin to speed it up, i did not dialate past 3 or 4 cenemeters after 16 hours of labor so the dr told me we had to do a csection, by that time i was like ok and wanted it over with but, the dr knew from previous ultrasounds that the baby was head down face up not face down like she was supposed to be and did not do an ultrasound before surgery and ended up cutting my daughters cheek whent they cut my stomach, dr said it would heal and wouldnt scar but here we are 2 years later and she has a scar on her cheek. It makes me so angry that they didnt take the time to ultrasound, luckily we are both healthy and safe.

August 31, 2010 at 16:33 | Report abuse | Reply
    • ljcjec

I am not sure that being 3 to 5 after 16 hours is that unusual for first time moms. I was in labor for 32 with my first, but waited to go to the hospital until I was at 7 cm after 29 hours of labor when I thought I had to be more or less ready. My daughter was born 3 hours later. Unfortunately, when you are induced, most doctors don't want to wait 32 hours. They give a lot of Pitocin to speed things up and to a C-section when progress isn't rapid enough. I was only in labor for 4 hours with my second child.

August 31, 2010 at 22:50 | Report abuse |
    • objen

Ultrasound is not routinely used prior to a Csection if your baby is already known to be head-down. The fact that your baby was injured during the delivery is unfortunate, but a known risk of ceasearean delivery. Its merit-less blame such as this, that leads to frivilous lawsuits, and increasing cost of healthcare for everyone.

August 31, 2010 at 23:22 | Report abuse |
    • rbnlegend

Tell people it's a dueling scar, from her days in germany.

September 1, 2010 at 08:01 | Report abuse |
  11. Labor and Delivery RN

Its an absolute shame the number of women who are c-sectioned now a days. Unfortunately Dr.s are now practicing defensive medicine, meaning they don't want to get sued. But it is also unfortunate that pregnant women don't take the time to educate themselves regarding labor inductions, VBAC's, and C-sections. I can't tell you the number for times a pregnant woman has come into be induced and had absolutely no idea why she was being induced aside from her Dr. told her to, was completely unaware of the fact that inductions can sometimes take up to 3 days and sometimes they don't work, and lastly that your chance of c-section is increased by 50% with an induction. If your pregnant ask 1001 questions and know your options before you make any decisions!

August 31, 2010 at 16:39 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mandy

I wish I had known that. 😦

August 31, 2010 at 18:46 | Report abuse |
    • rbnlegend

I am amazed at my friends who went into childbirth having watched a documentary on TV and read one book about all the things that can go wrong during childbirth. Nothing about how it works when it goes right. They want their epidural the moment they get to the hospital and hope they can be done in time to see dancing with the stars, anything the doctor says will hurry it up is good by them.

Every intervention that attempts to put childbirth on an external timetable just add complications. Getting a woman's body ready to push out a baby takes time. That baby will come out when it's ready and when your body is ready. If you think you are in control of that process, you will soon learn otherwise. Welcome to parenting, it's messy and you are only in control when the stress is low.

September 1, 2010 at 08:07 | Report abuse |
  12. Labor and Delivery RN

What an incredibly SELFISH and IGNORANT thing to say. I hope your wife reads that comment and never lets you back in to where ummm you like to go into!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 31, 2010 at 16:42 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dr Perry Fisher

Such toilet language.You are not a nurse maybe a Hannibol Lector but not a nurse

August 31, 2010 at 22:58 | Report abuse |
  13. Jim

My wife has zero tolerance for pain. She cries when one hair is pulled out of her head. She was terrified of labor pains. She decided to have a scheduled C-Section. Now 3 weeks later she is a believer in C-sections and recommends them to all her friends. She had no pain and recovery was nothing. We got to choose the time when the baby would be born and it was quick, efficient, and easy. It seems barbaric to us that doctors still allow women to have vaginal births with all the risks that are involved (vaginal ripping or tearing or purposeful cutting by the doctor, The infection that can result from it, long strenuous painful labor, umbilical cord entanglement, ect...)

August 31, 2010 at 16:53 | Report abuse | Reply
    • talisha

Jim – You are an idiot. It is not "barbaric" to delivery a baby vaginally.

August 31, 2010 at 17:15 | Report abuse |
    • RGP

Not everyone's recovery is as smooth as your wife's was. I'm happy to hear this went well for you guys. My first daughter was born by c-section because the doctor was trying to juggle two women in labor at the same time and gave me something 3 times to stop labor from progressing but then it would never progress by the time he had time to come back and attend to me. So then he ordered a c-section. I had convulsions during the c-section procedure because they gave me something that was too closely related to morphine which I am allergic too.

It might be just a coincidence, but my precious little girl from that birth is Autistic. Also, my recovery took TWO MONTHS! I had gotten a severe infection at the site of the incision despite following their directions to the letter and to this day am completely numb in that area.

Second daughter was born in Germany vaginally in under 3 hours. I had a recovery time of about a week and I felt great. My daughter is healthy and we had no complications. So please keep in mind that it doesn't go as smoothly for everyone as it does for you.

August 31, 2010 at 17:19 | Report abuse |
    • CR

Are you sure it was a fear of pain issue? Or did your wife just not want to break a nail?

August 31, 2010 at 17:51 | Report abuse |
    • Mandy

@Jim: My recovery from my un-neccessary c-section (the doctor said I needed it because I wasn't progressing as quick as he wanted me to and I didn't know any better at the time) was VERY hard. I couldn't walk for 2 weeks and it was extremely painful!! I had to take narcotics just to be somewhat comforatble which effected my baby and caused her to be extremely drowsy because I was breastfeeding at the time.

You are an idiot.

August 31, 2010 at 18:48 | Report abuse |
    • Jim

Definitely a pain issue. She really wanted to have a baby but was terrified of the pain. All her life she was hoping that by the time she was ready to have a baby that someone would invent an artificial womb to grow a baby so that she wouldn't have to give birth.

August 31, 2010 at 18:50 | Report abuse |
    • deanna

wow. your wife is pathetic. and so are you.

August 31, 2010 at 18:52 | Report abuse |
    • Jim

Why are you hate'n?

August 31, 2010 at 19:05 | Report abuse |
    • Jim

Why do some of you people resort to name calling? Just because someone had a positive experience with c-section and as a result we have the most beautiful healthy baby with no problems and a wonderful pain free recovery. Stop the hate and accept that we have found a way that works for us and we are happy and despite your name calling we will still be happy.

August 31, 2010 at 19:09 | Report abuse |
    • CLARE

Jim, DO YOUR HOMEWORK! C-sections carry FAR more serious risks than a vaginal birth! FAR MORE! It's not about numbers of things that can go wring; it's about the severity of things. A CS is a major abdominal surgery, and carries with it many risks to mother AND baby, both during and AFTER delivery, including, but not limited to, longer recovery, risk of infection(s), low APGAR scores, breastfeeding difficulties, and DEATH.

August 31, 2010 at 19:55 | Report abuse |
    • David

Doesn't everybody have a fear of pain? Sounds like your wife needs to toughen up a little. I would HATE to be married to someone so weak and afraid of nature and their body.

August 31, 2010 at 20:13 | Report abuse |
    • jules

Riiiiiiight, because recovering from major surgery is painless. Oh wait it is, you just get to enjoy your baby hopped up on painkillers. I feel sorry for your child.

August 31, 2010 at 20:32 | Report abuse |
    • jules

I can promise you that your child did not have a "positive experience" with a c-section.

August 31, 2010 at 20:34 | Report abuse |
    • Donna

Jim, if your wife is happy with her experience, who could truly argue with her decision? As an adult of sound mind, she made a choice, and she reaps whatever rewards or draw-backs result from it.

I think it may help if you understand where these other women who were not happy with their c-section experiences are coming from. They deeply wanted a vaginal birth and couldn't have it, or they experienced a complication which has led them to never want a c-section ever again. In their eyes, your wife's decision to give up the benefits of a vaginal birth and take on the risks of surgery seems cavalier.

To the other ladies who had unwanted (necessary or unnecessary) c-sections: the only way to promote a culture where your choices are respected and your voice is heard is to educate others without saddling them with the onus of guilt and blame and speak truths about the risks and benefits of birth choices in a compassionate and respectful way. The name calling and back-biting only undermines any positive efforts you've made in reforming our birth culture into something which benefits all women and families.

August 31, 2010 at 23:46 | Report abuse |
    • Sabrina

Jim – My c-section experience was also fairly painless. I had a great c-section experience with both my kids (1 emergancy, 1 I turned down a VBAC to do another c-section). A few of my friends have also had c-sections and they too have had very good experiences and have recovered very quickly.

The lack of respect for one anothers health choices and bodies is really sad!

September 1, 2010 at 01:25 | Report abuse |
    • katie

I'm very surprised noone has mentioned the risks of a c-section to the newborn. Going thru the birth canal pushes out the fluid in the lungs and prevents respiratory illnesses. I have 2 friends that had c-sections and both children have asthma, neither parents smoke or have family memebers that smoke. You just have to wonder. I would really like to know the prevelance of asthma in c-section vs vaginal briths.

September 1, 2010 at 01:35 | Report abuse |
    • Julie

Jim, I'm sorry you have had such personal attacks in these replies. There is a lot of venom out there b/c of people's personal experiences, and you clearly have taken the brunt of it here.

What I wish they would have focused on is this: you and your wife were very, very lucky. All the research on c-sections shows an increase risk for complications and death for both mother and child. Also, I don't know how many children you plan to have, but you should look up the risks with subsequent c-sections. The risks get more and more dangerous the more c-sections she has. Just FYI.

September 1, 2010 at 07:31 | Report abuse |
    • MintBec

Have either of you ever heard of hypnobirthing? It's about taking away the fear of birth and having a painless natural vaginal birth. Along with that there are numerous health benefits that the infant gains when birthed through the canal. Just another alternative to consider.

September 1, 2010 at 08:08 | Report abuse |
    • rbnlegend

I'm glad it worked out well for her. The side effects from c-section are signifcant, frequent, and often needless. I have a friend, 6 years later, can't do one sit up because of the damage to her abdominal muscles from her c-section. Another got to deal with life threatening sepsis. Part of the reason we see so many c-sections is that women are sold the idea that they can't deal with any adversity, and that childbirth will be the most incredible pain ever, and they believe it. Dealing with adversity isn't fun, but it's part of life and you do get through it.

September 1, 2010 at 08:17 | Report abuse |
    • Jen

Jim,
      I had a csection for my first 7 months ago. My csection experience was similar to your wife's. Easy csection, easy recovery. I loved my csection. Anyways just wanted to say that I'm surprised by some of the hatred of your post. Many of the women who respond to you seem like they want women to have choices for their deliveries just as long as that choice is not a csection.

September 1, 2010 at 11:08 | Report abuse |
    • MsInformation

Jim – I think you & your wife were sadly mis-informed about the risk of a C-section. Did you stay in the operating room when the surgeon layed your wife's uterus up on her stomach so he could re-arrange her bladder & sew up the gaping hole? A C-section is MAJOR surgery whereas a vaginal delivery is what nature intended. You have an organ that expans several inches and then contracts back to it's tiny original size. Why is so hard for you to imagine that women can do that too (when they give birth)?

September 1, 2010 at 14:00 | Report abuse |
    • MsInformation

Jen – No one but you & Jim are saying C-section should be a choice. People who advocate "choice" in birth are typically referring to choices like whether or not to be induced, what drug to induce with, epidural or narcotic pain relief or none at all, birthing tubs or squat bars, etc. It is a FACT that you cannot change that C-sections carry high risk and DO NOT result in better outcomes for mom & baby. If you can't believe the research of the World Health Org and the AMA on this, then I don't know what you're going to believe. NO MEDICAL ASSOCIATION recommends that C-sections BE A CHOICE! NO ONE! Doctors are allowed to offer them, along with tummy tucks, because this is AMERICA & you are informed of the risk, etc.

September 1, 2010 at 14:17 | Report abuse |
    • MsInformation

Jim, another reason women are so adamant about the c-section issue is because it is so expensive, with the profit going to the hospital. It raises the cost of delivery to a point where many small companies do NOT cover pregnancy in their insurance plans. People who perpetuate the myth that C-sections are safer or "better" are one of the guilty parties in rising costs. Other guilty parties do include women who were informed of risks & then sue anyway.

Also, many, many, many women believe that birth is a spiritual process. This is a world-wide shared belief that transcends cultures and times. Many women would argue that while they cannot provide hard-facts, that c-section effectively robs women & men of the experience of a natural childbirth. For many women, it is a great source of strength to deliver a baby.

September 1, 2010 at 14:23 | Report abuse |
    • Jen

Msinformation- You have no idea who I am or what I went through to have my baby. ACOG states that, "A physician who believes elective cesarean delivery is in the best interests of the mother and her fetus is ethically justified in performing the procedure." You have no idea about my pregnancy or what my physician and I discussed to mutually come to the decision that my csection was in my and my baby's best interest. There are a few things about what you said that I find laughable. To me birth as a spiritual practice is a bunch of mumbo jumbo. To me growing and nurturing my son for nine months was probably the most enjoyable experiences in my life, however being his mother now that he is here and watching him grow makes me feel strong and empowered. Birth is just a one day event, the important and empowering stuff happens 1 second after the babies born up until the child leaves home. Birth was just about getting me and my baby through the process safely and my physician and I agreed that the best option for us was a csection. There is not a one size fits all formula for delivering a baby for some women they need a vaginal delivery, however, if a woman and her physician believe that a csection is what is best, then csections are a legitimate option. Anyways, I believe that not every woman should be forced into a vaginal delivery if it's not wanted, just like every woman should not be forced into a csection. Healthcare needs to be individualized for every woman and personally and I don't give a rats @ss about what other women in earlier history or in other parts of the world are doing. I'm an individual with my own body and my own values.

September 1, 2010 at 17:17 | Report abuse |
    • EllianaMA

There are studies that show C-section babies are 80% more likely to develop asthma as children or adults than babies delivered vaginally. They don't know if it's the squeezing out of the fluids in the lungs of the baby while traveling through the birth canal or if it's hormones released by the mother during the later stages of the labor process. But I do not think we can say yet what the longterm health effects are of the higher C-section rates in this country. Additionally, I do not believe that the drugs mothers are given during labor are not ingested/absorbed by the baby to some degree as well. The industry says they're safe, but how many pharmaceuticals have been pulled years later for having dangerous unintended side effects?

September 3, 2010 at 11:12 | Report abuse |
  14. LB

Some OBs like to think c-sections are safer, but it is still major surgery with its own set of risks. I was born that way and it took the idiot doctor FIFTEEN minutes to get me out. I'm lucky to be sitting here.

August 31, 2010 at 17:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. RGP

Too bad your wife has to be traumatized by putting up with you.

August 31, 2010 at 17:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. @$h

I was induced with my first child and was in labor all day at one point my son's heartbeat drop and the turn me on my left side and he was ok after that I just couldn't turn on my right side. Well about 6:30pm my doctor had to leave. Well I got this other doctor who I never met and I had to move little and my son's heart drop just a little but went back up and as soon as that doctor came into the room he was talking about dong a c-section we ended up not having one (which I was happy about) but I think that it is doctors pushing c-section instead of vaginal births.

August 31, 2010 at 17:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. MC

Last Dec., I elected to have a C Section at 39 weeks. Why? I did not want to have urinary issues after a vaginal birth. The healing after a CSection wasn't as easy as I thought it would be – but in two weeks or so – I could move around slowly. It took two months before I could work out. I have no regrets about it. My baby was born with zero complications and I'm very grateful for that.

August 31, 2010 at 17:32 | Report abuse | Reply
    • FangedFaerie

C-sections are NOT an effective way to prevent incontinence. The stretching and pressure on your body during pregnancy does the majority of the damage, not the delivery. You are only slightly less likely to have urinary or other problems if you choose a C-section rather than a vaginal delivery, and in the opinion of many that does not outweigh the risks of abdominal surgery: http://www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/NEJMoa021788

August 31, 2010 at 18:31 | Report abuse |
    • grrr

i can't believe some women are so uneducated that they ELECT to have c sections. how about ELECTING not to bring more children into our world.

August 31, 2010 at 18:54 | Report abuse |
    • Jim

Good for you MC! My wife and I are both well educated and we spent many months researching the pros and cons of vaginal vs c-section. There were risks an both sides and when it came down to it, elective c-section was the right choice for us. Maybe that haters here would never even open their eyes to other possibilities but that's their loss. I don't care how bitter the responses here get because we are extremely happy and we love our beautiful little girl.

August 31, 2010 at 19:24 | Report abuse |
    • ljcjec

I have had two babies vaginally without any medication and had no urinary problems afterward and left the hospital feeling fantastic....no recovery time at all. No way I would ever elect to have a c-section.

August 31, 2010 at 22:55 | Report abuse |
    • Sabrina

Yes, good for you! It's kind of interesting to see all the c-section hate going on, we are all women and mothers and should have some respect for one another and how we choose to handle our health and our bodies!

I have had 2 c-sections (first was an emergancy, 2nd I turned down a VBAC). My recovery was very easy, I was out shopping the day after I was released from the hospital! If I were to have a 3rd child I would do a c-section in a heartbeat again...I won't be having a 3rd child though, because I chose to have my tubes tied while the Dr was in there delivering my child. In my opinion another major benefit to opting out of a VBAC and electing a c-section on the 2nd one.

September 1, 2010 at 01:15 | Report abuse |
    • rbnlegend

Women are told that the c-section is easy and painless, and yet you clearly experienced a lot of discomfort. You were immobilized for a substantial amount of time after your c-section and couldn't exercise for months. My wife delivered a 10 pound 2 oz baby, and was up and walking around a few hours later. After two weeks she was calling her doctor because she felt ready and eager to resume "marital activity" but the doctors had said to wait a month.

There's nothing wrong with your decision, you made the best choice you could with the information you had. But doctors downplay the results of surgical intervention. The doctor says you may experience "mild discomfort during routine recovery" from the surgery. If your doctor tells you that you "may feel some pressure" what does that mean? It means he's about to hurt you, please try not to scream. So why do you think "mild discomfort" is going to mean "mild discomfort"?

September 1, 2010 at 08:24 | Report abuse |
    • MsInformation

MC – You & Jim are not only mis-informed, you are perpetuating a myth that C-sections are OK and are NOT a major risk. You are essentially trying to scare pregnant ladies into a C. How terrible of you! Shame on you!
      The risk of bladder complications with a C-section is EXACTLY the same as VB. What's most interresting is that nuns have nearly the same instance of bladder complications as women who have children. I bet you got a tummy-tuck after your elected c-section, didn't you? That's a predominate reason to elect a C, but vain women wouldn't want people to know that.

Bottom line is that ALL STUDIES show a C-section is far more dangerous than a VB with the ONLY exception being the less than 1% of cases where the baby or mother is in a rare high-risk category. If that isn't you, you ain't safer or better with a C.

September 1, 2010 at 14:07 | Report abuse |
  18. CR

No, you don't speak for all husbands. My husband would probably slap the "dog" off your B- if you said some -- like that to him.

August 31, 2010 at 17:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Dr.RB

I am a physician. I just finished my shift today. I have lots of friends who are OB physicians. I ordered 18 CT scans today when only one was required, ordered two MRIs when none required. I knew other 17 CT scans will be negative. Only reason I ordered those is to save myself if something abnormal (less than 1 in 1000 chance) shows up. That time lawyer is going to say 'you killed a person because you (or your hospital) are trying to save few hundred dollars on a CT scan. There is a good chance I can loose all my life's saving and license to practice medicine (which took me over 10 years after college) if I miss something (less than 1 in 1000 chances). I actually talked to my OB friends about this. They said 'lawyers are going to ask me why did I not do c-section' and they will have no answers. OB doctors are paying over 250K per year just for malpractice insurance. So why would s/he take chance. And also its not only a system's fault, its also patients. I had patients telling (I saved her life from life-threatening infection last week.) me 'I am going to sue you' because her TV was not working in her room. People expect healthy babies. Everyone does not get healthy baby because of multiple reasons (genetics, maternal problems like pre-eclempsia, diabetes, environmental factors, maternal obesity, size of pelvis, maternal blood flow, development of placenta and many more). In that list physician's fault accounts for less than 1% of the problem but whenever someone does not have healthy baby, they have to blame someone for their unhealthy baby. Most of the time that someone is OB because their insurance will pay for that.

August 31, 2010 at 17:59 | Report abuse | Reply
    • amy

You are a doctor, yet you spelled "lose" as "loose"? You cannot spell. This is disturbing.

August 31, 2010 at 22:50 | Report abuse |
    • Dr Perry Fisher

There is no excuse for that sort of thing....spend sometime with a patient take an adequate medical history and perform a complete physical examination and you will be protected everytime.THIS IS ,PERHAPS, ONE OF THE REASONS WHY INSURANCE COVERAGE AND MEDICAL BILLS ARE INFLATED.i SUGGEST THAT YOU REVIEW YOUR BASIC SKILLS AND TAKE REFRESHER COURSES

August 31, 2010 at 22:54 | Report abuse |
    • Another OB (Gabor47 elsewhere)

Dear Dr. RB and all others who not only write, but also read here,

I am also a physician, in fact an OB-GYN physician for nearly three decades. Unfortunately you are wasted your time to write here (as I am probably wasting my time). The problem is so very complex that not even physicians in other specialties can completely comprehend it. As for the public, they really have nearly zero chance to fully understand all what is involved. A couple of quick details, with no particular order of importance, just as they will come to my head (for a full opinion, perhaps writing one book wouldn't be enough).

1. When I was a junior resident (residency:77-82) the attending ended up delivering a baby with very serious and tragic outcome. Everybody got sued. The case was settled for 1.5 million. The woman gave an interview to the Washington Post, naming me as her OB doc in a front page article. Why? Because I cared, I talked to her, I checked her far more often than the attending, although I didn't have the power of decision to order a Tylenol, let alone to decide what to do and when to do it.

2. Imagine my private practice starting up in the same area, but I fought it, cleared less money to my family than an RN. I repelled several suits by simply telling the prospective plaintiff's lawyer that I will not notify my insurance company. Fortunately I had no money, no wealth to go after. Yet, by the end of the decade my insurance went up higher than my income. I was forced to quit my insurance. Result? All five hospitals I attended kicked me off their staff for not being insured (by that time it was compulsory in most hospitals).

While all this was happening, I discovered an underground network of nurse informants (of "suspicious cases") to lawyers. I went to the D.C. Medical Society to report the case. They investigated, they found that everything I claimed was true, than let me know they have no legal authority to do anything about it.

Although my D.C. presence produced another headline article about me. The title of the article told the story: Doc Quixote.

3. There went my private practice. I moved to a rural area, for fixed salary. Although the hospital paid my insurance, I still had to apply. The first insurance company rejected me for "you are not doing enough procedures and ordering enough tests for legal protection". Draw your own conclusion.

4. For years it was all quiet. My primary C-section rate during the 80's (and still) was around 13% (with the repeats around 20%). The increasing national C-section rate triggered the popularity of VBAC. I was amused so to speak, knowing that statistically it has a nearly 1% uterine rupture rate, and if and when it happens, the baby has about 25% to die. Yet, I tried. I explained to the patients, whoever wanted to give a try, I let them. It scared the heck out of me when in some cases when VBAC failed, ended up performing a C-section, I found such paper thin uterine wall that you could almost see through it, perhaps minutes away from rupture. So, in a way I was "relieved" when ACOG finally turned around and went against VBAC.

5. Meanwhile a curious "development" took place. More and more pregnant women DEMANDED C-section.Even when there was zero clinical indication. When I declined I lost many patients. It became more and more frequent that I was threatened by both patients and family to sue me, because "I let her suffer" (labor pains).

6. I don't whether anyone noticed it, but in two decades of private and hospital practice I was NOT sued (!). The one and only case was the one which I mentioned, during my residency. And whether I was lucky or good, or perhaps both, I had no bad outcome at all. Every mom and every baby ended up being just fine. The hospitals however I was working at (4 in total) ended up CLOSING their labor and delivery units due to financial infeasibility (so each time I had to move on to another place).

7. In the early 2000's finally I got sued again. A 32 weeks gestation, fetal death in utero. Long story, extremely high risk patient who had no transportation to a bigger city hospital. I intended to use my old trick (not to notify the insurance company), but these were already different times, somebody else did, the insurance company assigned a lawyer by the time I learned about the case. Since this was the first since that residency case, I was scared, I even felt "guilty" and I let the lawyer to have it settled for a "negligible" 80 thousand. When the news went out in the local community, I had another two cases popping up immediately. This time I put my foot down: no settlement, not for one buck. One case went to court and I WON! The other one canceled the case 48 hours before the trial (after two years of threats paper-pushing being applied). I guess the lawyer didn't want to look bad to encounter the same fate as his colleague did after seeing a very stubborn doc who just refused to give in. Needless to say, all three cases were frivolous (even the first one I settled, the clinical details would be too long to write it down here). A few months later this was one of the hospital's L&D which went belly up.

8. Came the 2000's. I started to burn out, being tired of being pushed around, but I really love my profession and kept on trying. By then as far as I know, nearly in all states malpractice insurance became compulsory and one couldn't even get a state license without having one. The lawyers (making up most legislatures) I guess wanted to make sure that doctors couldn't follow my way at end of the 80's, just "going bare". I don't know whether in such a short description I succeeded to get one important point through: many doctors had no choice. Where the heck is an EXTRA 50-200 grand comes from, if not from extra and needless operative (and office) procedures? It is either that, or choosing to make less than an RN. In other words, it all became a mafia-like racket. The lawyers "arranged" that we either produce the "protection money" or will be pushed under. I continued to stay away by keep jumping from hospital to hospital (as they closed their OB departments) with fixed income and never bothered with the insurance part.

9. Finally the "fate" caught up with me. A very small town hospital hired me to create a new, "nurse-midwife" centric OB department (they were forced to close down years before, for the same reason as those other hospitals). Nurse-midwifes became more popular (too many false reasons to list it). Bottom line: after 2 years of correspondence "school" and 3-6 month of clinical practice they had the same authority as an "OB doctor" as I had approaching three decades of practice as a physician. I was happy that, if I have to establish an OB department, it will make more sense than just entering one. I was wrong. The leadership fully supported the inexperienced and under-trained nurse-midwives. The standard of care was frightening. At the end of my 3 years contract, we were mutually happy not to continue.

10. Now I am 62 years old, with thousands and thousands of deliveries, significantly lower C-section rate than the national average, essentially spotless track-record, anyone looking at my CV is rightly suspicious of having so many places and hospitals "under my belt". I surely will (continue to) refuse to pay my own malpractice insurance, but it became hopeless of being hired by anyone. "What can be wrong with this doctor, if he moved around this much?" is a fair question on their side.
      Draw your own conclusions.

11. The medical part: pregnancy and delivery is the result of a many millions of years of "process". The human body is still by far the most complex "machinery" what mankind ever encountered. The type of perfection what people expect from their iPods, computers, high tech gadgets, is still impossible. Those are magnitudes more simple than the human body, medical science despite the amazing improvements it went through the 20th century, still nowhere near to the expected knowledge (and of course outcome) to be perfect.

12. The sociological part: up to about 150 years ago women had a bunch of babies and if a couple of them grew into adulthood everybody was satisfied. Now women first want success, financial independence, occupation and/or profession and when they got all of that and no other achievement is available, they also try to get pregnant a couple of times (if at all). And they expect that to be perfect, rains of shines. And when it turns out some other ways, they sue. They are no longer willing to accept that pregnancy sometimes unpleasant, delivery is painful, and many thinks that the reality should be "sex tonight and tomorrow will somebody hand me over my beautiful baby" (symbolically speaking of course). Childbearing and child raising became some sort of weird "tradition". The result is well visible in statistics, the population of Europe for example is nosediving in an amazing rate. US soon to follow (not yet, that's another book worth of story). Doctors became the "evil part" of this process. Nurse-midwives becoming popular, despite that they did it for millions of years with significantly less success than medical science achieved today. This is all became a complex and entangled mess.

Yet, if you paid attention the posts in this forum, nobody is asking questions. Everybody has his or her opinion, horribly superficial as it may be. I am ashamed to write such post, because even this one is horribly superficial. As I tangentially mentioned, each of my paragraph would require a book to really explain what happened and what were the true moving forces.
      Oh yes, sometimes in 1992, I did write a "mini-book", sort of a very long article and sent it to the Hillary group which was working on the later failed health care reform. The article was something like 80 or so printed page. I got no answer from anyone.

Anyone who would like to comment on what I just wrote, may do so to "docobgyn@yahoo.com". Make sure in the title you put down "CNN Health" because I get daily 50-100 spams, my filter is on and don't read any email, unless I know the source.
      I am not willing to argue, but I will try to answer most questions asked.

Gabor

September 1, 2010 at 10:31 | Report abuse |
    • MsInformation

Here here! I second that! This is a very factual post.

September 1, 2010 at 14:08 | Report abuse |
    • CR

High five! Our society is all about instant gratification. C-sections? Instant gratification.

September 1, 2010 at 15:55 | Report abuse |
  20. Mandy

You are the biggest idiot. Babies come out of vaginas, if you don't like that idea then don't have sex.

August 31, 2010 at 18:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. deanna

GRRRRRRRRRRR.

August 31, 2010 at 18:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. ER

You give decent men a bad name. It was you putting it there in the first place that caused the pregnancy! Because of my post c-section abdominal pain my husband didn't get an oportunity to put it there for 6 months – how would that make you feel? After my VBAC 18 months later he was able to put it there after just a few weeks.
    Now what seems better?

August 31, 2010 at 19:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Homiemom

I had home births with both of mine. Both healthy, one 8 lbs 9oz, one 10 lbs 4 oz. No GD. Full term. Back in the saddle so to speak within two weeks each time. No issues. Labor #1 was 3 hours, #2 45 minutes. Ok the 45 minutes was a bit fast. But all of my friends with c/s had major issues, and one died. Due to complications of the c/s. So yeah, I guess she had a non-messy birth. =/

August 31, 2010 at 19:26 | Report abuse | Reply
    • momebirthmama

YAY for home birth!!!!!! I had my second at home and it was WAY WAY WAY less painful and so much more peaceful. At my hospital birth (drug free), the doc brought a class of interns in to watch at the last minute without asking. I gave birth for an audience and felt totally violated. After doing my research, there is NO WAY I would birth in the hospital again.

Has anyone every talked about why the US rates so high on maternal and infant mortality compared to the rest of the world? Why? the hospital.

September 1, 2010 at 02:17 | Report abuse |
    • rbnlegend

@homebirthmama: Shame on your husband. Chasing them out the door was his job. One of the things I valued about having a doula at our birth was that she gave us a lot of advice on how to stand up to hospital staff, ask questions and say No. We went in the door with something we each planned to say No to right up front, just to get us in the habit of saying it and get the staff used to hearing it. Like you said, you felt violated by that intrusion, and you shouldn't have had to tolerate it.

September 1, 2010 at 08:31 | Report abuse |
  24. Lynn

I am 44 years old and 32 weeks pregnant with my first child (naturally conceived). I don't have any of the problems associated with high risk pregnancies and my baby and I are both, so far, in perfect health. I really want to have a vaginal birth but because of my age I am terrified that my doctor will try to either induce me and/or force me to have a C-section. I've never had surgery and I'm scared to death of being cut. The thought that a doctor would make me go through a C-section just to earn and additional $1000 is really disgusting and I'm going to try to avoid having one at all cost. I'm glad that I read this article because I feel that I can make a more informed decision about inductions and C-sections if and when either procedure is presented to me.

August 31, 2010 at 19:46 | Report abuse | Reply
    • CLARE

Have you considered homebirth? I highly recommend Ina May Gaskin's "Guide to Child Birth".

August 31, 2010 at 20:00 | Report abuse |
    • Roxanne

Good for you mama! Do the research! Check out http://www.theunnecesarean.com/avoid-an-unnecesarean/ to see how to avoid an unneccessary c-section. I wish you well!

August 31, 2010 at 20:04 | Report abuse |
    • rbnlegend

If you can find a doula to assist you, they are a great help, and reduce your chances of c-section greatly. Hope it goes well for you!

September 1, 2010 at 08:32 | Report abuse |
    • Brosti

Congratulations, Lynn! First key to avoiding a section is picking the RIGHT PROVIDER, finding one with a very low section rate. If they won't tell you their percentage, don't get your prenatal care with them. Don't deliver with them. At your stage in pregnancy, it's probably too late to change providers, and maybe you are already happy with your choice. Maybe you live in a rural area and don't have a lot of caregiver choices. Second key is AVOID INDUCTION. Make excuses, suggest fetal non-stress tests. Stall. Be busy. Walk, walk, walk, and do all the other safe labor-stimulating activities you can read about. Third key is DON'T RUSH TO THE HOSPITAL. Labor takes a while! Watch a movie or two when you go into labor. If you can walk into the hospital with broken water and contractions less than 5 minutes apart, you will more likely avoid a section. Finally, avoid as many interventions as you can while at the hospital. They will suggest pitocin ("just to pick your labor up a little!"), restrictive fetal monitoring ("you wouldn't want to put your baby in danger, would you?"), and an epidural. All of these increase your chances of a section. If you're healthy and in your 40's, you probably have some life experience such as intense sport activity or physical work that are comparable to labor. These will also help get you through. You can do it!

September 1, 2010 at 09:53 | Report abuse |
    • CR

Congratulations, Lynn and good luck with everything! I agree with the poster who said to NOT rush into the hospital. I feel that is the reason [half of the time, anyway] that many doctors push C-sections on their patients. They don't have time to wait around for active labor, they need to get back to their golfing / football game / insert other hobby here.

September 1, 2010 at 16:00 | Report abuse |
    • Erin

Lynn, Most midwives consider your age to be in the high risk category for their services, but you should definitely interview and hire a doula you connect with. Their job is to advocate for you and insist your birth plan is followed. (Complications can change a birth plan–we have to keep that in mind) Women have more autonomy in this issue than they realize. This is your preganancy, body, and baby. Don't be afraid to make your wishes clear with your doctor now so you will not be disappointed in the delivery room. You deserve to attempt the birth you envision! Best of luck! ~Mom of 4 girls, 4 natural births, 2 with midwives.

September 1, 2010 at 16:48 | Report abuse |
  25. CLARE HONN

I sure hope you do not procreate. And no, you do not speak for all husbands. It was my husband's idea we have a homebirth, and he was even more against a CS than I was. You are a small minded, selfish, boy who gives men a bad name.

August 31, 2010 at 19:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. David

You definitely don't speak for all husbands. If anything, you speak for all douches.

August 31, 2010 at 20:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. jules

You're wife must also be a complete idiot for marrying a douche like you.

August 31, 2010 at 20:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Katie

I recently had an induction at 39 weeks due to preeclampsia. My OB recommended the induction because my condition was not going to improve until I delivered the baby, and the baby was full term and still doing well. I expressed concern over an induction leading to failure to progress leading to a C-section. He said we'd do everything possible to avoid that, and I had a normal vaginal delivery – my induction went smoothly and I delivered faster than my OB expected me to. Our daughter had Apgars of 9 and has been healthy all along, and I've recovered quickly from my delivery.

I do not regret an induction for medical reasons. I knew that the induction put me at a higher risk of a C-section, but it was necessary for my health and the baby's. I trusted my doctor's experience and knowledge, and that if he said I needed an induction (or a C-section), it was in our best interest.

August 31, 2010 at 21:16 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Emily

Katie, it sounds like you had an induction for all the right reasons. One of the frustrating things about the overuse of induction and C-sections is that the people who REALLY NEEDED them end up almost getting harassed by people who are not their doctors wondering whether it was necessary. There is no way that we need all the inductons that happen (and I do know people whose inductions didn't work), but for the right reasons, it's literally a life-saver.

August 31, 2010 at 22:46 | Report abuse |
  29. Suzanne

My first daughter was a c-section because she was breech. My next pregnancy we were planned and ended up doing a vbac, but my daughter was a stillborn, born on her due date. I got pregnant again 4 months later and again we were going to do a vbac, which was induced. The drugs must have made me contract too much and we ended up doing an emergency c-section because my uterus ruptured. Amazingly, we both survived. But I often wonder if we had done planned c-sections for the second and third preganancies, would we have had less trauma and all three daughters?

August 31, 2010 at 21:17 | Report abuse | Reply
    • mommato5

I am so sorry for your loss, and your uterine rupture. However, induction and vbac do not go together precisely for the increased risk of uterine rupture. Induction causes stronger,longer contractions which can cause a non scarred uterus to rupture.

August 31, 2010 at 23:27 | Report abuse |
  30. Cat

C-sections are not the answer for everyone, but sometimes they do make the most sense in a situation.

I was 41.5 weeks along and they induced me because I still was not dilated past 1/4 fingertip – yeah, really. My water broke on its own while on pitocin and I still had not progressed passed 2 cms after 10 hours of awful contractions. My daughter's heartbeat kept falling and a c-section was offered. I could either wait to see if I progressed anymore over the next few hours and risk my daughter's health, or I could go ahead with the c-section. I decided on the latter.

Is c-section recovery easy, no – is it better than a stillborn – yes. The pain was awful but I was up and driving within 4 days and back to work in 10 days. I stopped taking the pain killers somewhere between those two dates. Everyone has different experiences though and if it takes less or more time to recover then that is up to that individual.

Before everyone jumps on the anti-c-section bandwagon, consider how many children and moms have been saved by the procedure. I never felt like my doctor forced me into a c-section or convinced me to do something I didn't want to do. I may not love my tiny pink abdominal scare, but I absolutely adore my 7 month old little girl – no matter how she got here!

August 31, 2010 at 21:35 | Report abuse | Reply
    • mommato5

cat
      not being dilated before labor is not a risk in and of itself, even if you are past your ESTIMATED due Date. Induction often does not work because the body was not ready for labor. Your experience is what many people point to when talking about unnecessary interventions. Since you were never given a natural progression of labor, there is no way to know what would have happened if you had been left alone. You may have gone even longer and gone into labor in due time. I know many moms who have gone to 44 weeks and delivered vaginally and safely.

August 31, 2010 at 23:33 | Report abuse |
    • Muffington

I agree Cat, at the end of the day we are all great Mothers, parents, what have you. No female is any more or less of a woman by the way she gave birth to her child. No matter how the baby was delieverd, the expereince is still the same, a healthy, beautiful child to love and cherish your whole life long.

My daughter was delivered by c-section almost 21 years ago because she was breached inside of me, but my laobr was only 3 hours.long.....to me a great trade off....LOL. Kidding aside, I was up and about in a weeks time and all I have to show for it is a little bikini cut just below my belly button.....barely visible.....and my daughter is a vibrant, healthy beautiful person and I wouldn't trade that expreience for anything in the world.

September 1, 2010 at 16:19 | Report abuse |
  31. cnnreader

But isn't it all worth it in the end?

August 31, 2010 at 21:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. luvguac69

Having had three pregnancies, c-section/vbac/c-section. I would always choose a normal delivery a hundred times over, barring any complications. Having had the vbac I wanted to do that again for baby #3 and I was dilated and pushed for an hour, when baby's heart rate decreased. I needed to make a decision and finally it was c-section. I do think c-sections are over performed but when a parent is faced with risking the life of their child, surgery wins out.

August 31, 2010 at 21:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. grannie

So let's talk about how many women have terrible problems, and have had since time immemorial, with vaginal deliveries
    destroying their insides so that they have to have surgery to repair it. Women's cervixes will fall right out; their bladders get demolished. Women died all the time from natural childbirth. I had 2 births normally; and a 3-week recovery for the surgery to repair me. I've told everyone who will listen to have the gift of health; a c-section save time, money, and I guess you get no bragging rights. Childbirth is something personal, but I've lived long enough to see the benefits of c-sections. If they get done properly, not when twenty hours of labour have already gone by, it's less damaging.

August 31, 2010 at 22:25 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Julie

Grannie, it has been shown that childbirth is not safer now due to the prevalence of c-sections but for other reasons: better nutrition, general sanitation levels, easier transportation (of a midwife to a house or a woman to a hospital), easier communication (phones) and the availability of antibiotics to name a few.

The World Health Organization policy is that a 10-15% c/s rate helps improve maternal/fetal outcomes, anything over that tends to contribute to worse outcomes for mother and baby. That is why the US (with its high c/s rate) rates so low compared to other industrialized countries (we are around 33rd in maternal/fetal outcomes.) The top countries are the ones with the highest rates of planned home birth and use of midwives and the midwifery model of care.

September 1, 2010 at 07:49 | Report abuse |
    • Brosti

I had two "natural" deliveries in my late 30's and felt tremendously good after each one. I was comfortably sitting and walking around a few hours later. I felt really bad for the women around me who were tethered to IV poles and wincing, hobbling painfully around the hospital, nursing their c-section incisions, their spinal headaches, still groggy from the drugs, unable to hold their babies or really do ANYTHING other than lie in bed. Yes, childbirth was more dangerous for women prior to about 60-80 years ago, but we are reaching a tipping point where good birth outcomes are actually going down due to excessive intervention. And the consequences extend beyond the hospital check out, with c-section babies experiencing higher rates of respiratory disease and other complications throughout childhood. We need to find "baby bear's porridge" and use the right intervention strategies to keep moms and babies healthy through the birth process.

September 1, 2010 at 10:12 | Report abuse |
  34. Erin

last year I had my first child, a son at the age of 22 ( 3 days before my 23rd birthday). I'm a type 1 diabetic, and he was born a month early but still weighing in at 9lbs 21 inches long, with a huge head. I had him c-section because after 6 hours in labor and my water breaking on it's own, I had not dilated pass 1cm. He just wouldn't fit, he would have displaced his shoulders had he tried to come out. I also had high blood pressure at the end. I did want to have a natural birth but I think that the c-section was the right choice for me. I'm not afraid to even have a Vbac because of how big my first child was and all the complications I had during pregnancy ie preterm labor. I'm afraid my uterus would rupture if I tried Vbac ...if the baby was big again.
    So sometimes I think it's okay to have a c-section.

August 31, 2010 at 23:04 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Julie

While I won't second guess your situation since I wasn't there, I do want to say that it is actually pretty normal to have slow dilation in the beginning of labor. That isn't necessarily a clear indication that your baby didn't fit. If you said the same thing after 26 hours I might have agreed that it might not work. But then again, I labored with my baby for 45 hours and though I wouldn't wish that for anybody, it didn't mean my labor wasn't "working". I delivered a big baby vaginally with no tearing, and was glad not to have risked the c/section.

September 1, 2010 at 08:00 | Report abuse |
    • rbnlegend

My wife was over 30 hours, so yes, I agree with Julie. We went to the hospital after 12 hours and were discouraged to find she was at 2cm. It can start slow, especially the first time. That just means it takes time. At 24 hours the doctors said that she needed to either get an epidural so she could get some sleep, or consider a c-section. She took the epidural, slept for 4 hours or so, and woke up ready to have a baby. Slow just means slow, don't let the doctor panic you because he has a schedule. You are on baby time, not doctor time.

September 1, 2010 at 08:41 | Report abuse |
  35. mommato5

Alot of the risks of vaginal delivery are also medically induced. When women are given the opportunity to move around during labor they experience less pain, less tearing and less overall vaginal trauma. Laboring on ones back is not a natural position for birth, it narrows the pelvic outlet by 30% and it can decrease blood flow to the baby. Also, doctor led pushing is often too fast and strenuos causing tearing as is forceps/vacuum extractor use. I had a baby at home whose shoulders were stuck and with my midwifes guidance I changed my position, and out he came. many birth injuries are setting related.

August 31, 2010 at 23:38 | Report abuse | Reply
    • rbnlegend

Also the epidural reduces your ability to do anything with your lower body, which seems like a bad idea, considering that the lower body is where the birthing process happens....

September 1, 2010 at 08:43 | Report abuse |
  36. Christine

My two children were born when I was 40 and 42. Each time I delivered naturally with my first child weighing 9.5 lbs. ( with back labor.) Both times I had fantastic female doctors. With my first I was nearly 2 weeks beyond my estimated due date when I went into labor. I was willing to wait to avoid induction and probable c-section. Strangely enough I feel grateful for being able to work through the pain. It was a gift in the sense that I can compare anything else painful against that experience and not flinch. I was fortunate to have my sister and husband there supporting me. The Lamaze classes were key to making the labors successful. By contrast I know other mothers who delivered when I did and opted to have C-sections not because of medical issues but because they became tired of waiting to go into labor or simply wanted to avoid any possible pain. They became impatient with the process. These moms were all at least a decade younger than me. Very few moms deliver naturally on the "due" date. I am a better person because of the labors I experienced, pain and all. Women are more physically able than we often give our selves credit for. Know that the due date is just an estimate. Be patient. Each day gives your child more time to develop. I now have two very healthy, and bright children. Take charge of your experience. Do the research, take the classes, build a support team that will help you through the process. Do what is best not based upon pain avoidance or impatience but what is best for the health of the baby.

September 1, 2010 at 02:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. dr mister

several reasons for this
    1) defensive medicine – justifying unnecessary C sections is a lot easier than explaining dead babies
    2) cultural shift – noone knows what childbirth is about now, the mom goes to the hospital and comes back with a baby! like going to Target for a box of cereal, back in the day when home birth was more prevalent, people got to experience the labor process as a family and at least have some idea of what it entails, now people want to just get admitted to the hospital, press the eject button and have the baby, no pain, no wait
    3) some women can't take pregnancy – lots of physicians now practice "social" inductions and C sections because the patient complains incessantly about being pregnant towards the end
    4) once you have 1 c section, your risk of uterine rupture with VBAC goes up and up, with the risk of needing a hysterectomy/death and the knowledge that if that happens you have a few minutes to get back to the OR and save the baby and even mom

to all the people who argue that OB-gyn's do c sections because of compensation.... when you factor in the time it takes to do vs monitoring and delivering vaginally it is much less cost effective. When you are doing all vaginal deliveries, you can pop in and out between multiple rooms and delivery each baby as it comes, when you are doing a C section you might be unavailable for 2 hours.

September 1, 2010 at 03:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. sharri

I am expecting to deliver my first later this year. I am terrified of pain but I'm still praying that CS will not be an option. VB is what I'm hoping for. Jim probably needs to get a "bubble" for his wife.

September 1, 2010 at 04:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Kelly

I do think your doctor has a lot of weight on what you decide. I'm petite and ended up delivering a 9lb baby vaginally, i had some tearing and my son's shoulder got pulled, a brachial plexis injury also called erbs palsy. With therapy he got better by 10months or so, but my family was pretty upset initially. My regular doctor was out of town on my delivery date, so i delivered with "a stranger". No one said anything about a C-section but i really really didnt want to have surgery. Another doctor may have been like "Oh your baby is too big we need to cut". I wasnt "warned" about possible injuries to the baby, so i thought everything was gonna be ok. I am glad though i was able to deliver naturally; they didnt have to induce me either even though i went a week over.

September 1, 2010 at 09:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Don Draper

Who cares about this? When did CNN become the Women's News Netswork?

September 1, 2010 at 11:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Agabelle

Happy Chi!
    Don't know if you're going to read this but just wanted to tell you that it's like you took words out of my mouth!
    I fully agree with you! I am 28 and my son is one. When I was getting closer to the due date a lot of people were asking me if I was going to get a C Section. WHY WOULD I? Why would I want that? It's like the automatic thing for women to do now. I think that C Sections should be an emergency only thing. On top of that, once you've given birth, you are so proud of yourself! If you can give birth – believe me... you can do ANYTHING! And on top of that, you and your child start of your relationship with team work! Anyway's, it's just sad what this has all become.

September 1, 2010 at 11:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. EVCW

I had 2 VBACs after a C-Section, and from personal experience, there is nothing in life more empowering than giving birth naturally. I chose not to take pain medication, and yes, it hurt, but it was nothing that was intollerable. I think the media have blown this whole "pain in childbirth" thing way over the top. I feel sorry for those women who are too busy or too scared to let nature take it's course – they don't know what they're missing. The recoveries were much easier, and my body sprung back into place much, much quicker. Also, I actually FELT like I'd had the baby – there was none of the mind/body disconnect that happened with the C-Section, where I still felt pregnant even though I had the baby in my arms. I feel sorry as well for the medical profession that has to suffer because lawyers have made normal/natural birth a high risk industry. Ridiculous. I don't understand why the US doesn't push for massive reform of liabilities – certainly Canada and France don't have this problem!

September 1, 2010 at 11:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Lassi

Funny how people don't do their own research anymore. There is nothing wrong with vaginal births. It is how children were MEANT to be born. Are women really this paranoid about loose pelvic muscles? There are exercises to fix that. Further, the argument that vaginal birth results in tearing/cutting....I really think this is caused by the awkward position women are put in while birthing. It puts more pressure on the pelvic area, making it harder for the baby to exit. No wonder there is tearing. Not to be too graphic, but put yourself in the usual birthing position and imagine trying to make a BM. You can tell it would be more difficult

September 1, 2010 at 11:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. MsInformation

I keep hearing about doctors who “saved babies” by performing a C. (Example: baby had a low heart-rate). Please read the facts below, and reconsider your position:
    FACT 1: Pitocin (most common drug used to induce labor) and epidurals can CAUSE the baby’s low heart rate. Pitocin generates very strong contractions, much stronger than natural contractions. While the mother is protected from the pain via epidural, the baby is being slammed with rough contractions.
    FACT 2: There’s a saying around the hospital that “The only C you get sued for is the one you didn’t perform.” Many, many OBGYN’s are specifically told by hospital legal advisors that “When in doubt, perform the C.” The #1 interest here is NOT in the health of mother & baby, but in covering their tushes.
    FACT 3: Nationwide C-sections are most common at 4pm and 10pm. That’s when the surgeons & docs are ready to go home!
    FACT 4: Despite the safety of VBAC (Vaginal Birth after Cesarean Section), few hospitals allow VBAC because of “insurance reasons.”
    FACT 5: You are statistically FAR safer to give bith AT HOME with a MIDWIFE than at the hospital
    FACT 6: Birth Class Instructors at many hospitals DO NOT correctly relay the risks of C-section, induction, or even that the scalp-fetal heart rate monitor is painful to the baby (just ask to try it out on your finger – I guarantee you will wince!)
    FACT 7: The WHO (World Health Organiztion) has repeatedly cited the United States medical system for dangerous practices that harm mother & child. The #1 citation is an abnormally high C-rate.
    FACT 8: We have a slightly highter infact-mortality than CUBA. Hello! CUBA! We are obviously NOT saving any extra babies by increasing the C-rate.
    FACT 9: In ALL developed countires EXCEPT the US, women are given a “window of birth” of several weeks. It is also considered perfectly normal to have a baby at 42 even 45 weeks, if the mom is a first-time mother.
    FACT 10: I bet at least 1, if not more, of these facts has surprised you. If you’re a MOM, you have NO EXCUSE for not knowing more about delivery practices & DEMANDING that US hospitals decrease the C-section rate & implement practices that will actually make mom & baby safer.

Recommended reading: YOUR BEST BIRTH, INYA MAY’S GUIDE TO CHILDBIRTH, CHILDBIRTH THE NATURAL WAY, WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION REPORTS ON US BIRTHS

September 1, 2010 at 13:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. MsInformation

Lassi is correct. The US birthing position is NOT used anywhere else, and it results in a lot of episiostomies (where doc cuts the woman between the vagina & the anus).
    Vacuum-assisted deliveries also result in episiotomies. Truly the “Unkindest cut.”
    FACT 11: In Europe, almost 70% of babies are born with a MIDWIFE. Episiotomies are RARE.

September 1, 2010 at 13:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. MsInformation

Ok, Don Draper, here's why you should care: the average hospital birth runs us $13,000 – $20,000. Most of that is profit for the hospital & insurance. Every time a woman has a baby, YOU will pay more in insurance premiums as the cost of birth continues to sky-rocket. Alternatively, birth with a midwife can be as cheap as $1000 or around $5000. Either way, less than 1/2 the cost of the hospital. That would decrease your insurance premiums. Also, mom & baby are safer with the midwife. It's a win-win for everyone, even the heartless Don Draper's who only care about themselves.

September 1, 2010 at 13:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. MsInformation

dr mister –
    You are fear-mongering quite a bit with your post. VBAC's are relatively safe. Most startling, you imply that the increased C-section rate prevents "explaining dead babies." The truth is that the WHO & the AMA have REPEATEDLY cited that a high C-section rate is a sign of a BAD hospital and actually INCREASES risk to mother & baby. We are slightly above CUBA when it comes to infant-death-rate during labor. That's pretty shoddy. Other developed countires have much better rates, and 70% of births are midwife attended. In my opinoin, OBGYNs are often overkill. It's like hiring Dr. Phill to babysit. Wholly unnecessary for a normal birth. Worse, OBGYN's are surgeons by trade and tend to see everything from a surgery perspective. (If one has a hammer, everything becomes a nail). Lastly, nationwide, most c-sections are near 4PM or 10PM. That's convenient! For the doctor, that is. The doc would like to spend 1-2 hrs in surgery and be home in time for dinner as opposed to riding out another 10 hours of labor!

September 1, 2010 at 13:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. Dr. Mama

Some of the comments are truly offensive and juvenile. Keep in mind we're talking about PARENTING here, folks. Childbirth is just the first step in a lifetime of decision-making that will effect a child's development.

The C-section rate has been rising for a long time - at least since before I delivered my 1st 27 years ago. I found the OB/GYN in my area who had the lowest C rate and a reputation for supporting natural birth. Unfortunately, I ended up with a C-section anyway, through no fault of his (or mine), and a healthy baby, which is the point, after all.

But I subsequently gave birth to 2 more babies by VBAC - safely and without complications. VBAC risk is a myth. Repeat C-sections are easier for the OB, quicker, and far more dangerous.

September 1, 2010 at 14:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. Napoleon Geohagan

geo news tv channel live

September 11, 2016 at 10:19 | Report abuse | Reply