home
RSS
August 27th, 2010

BPA raising testosterone in men?

Bisphenol A or BPA, the controversial chemical widely found in plastic products, can increase testosterone in men, a new study says.

The research, published in the Environmental Health Perspectives, analyzed data from an Italian study of 715 adults between the ages of 20 and 74 years. They measured the amount of BPA excreted in daily urine samples. On average the daily BPA exposure level was more than 5 micrograms a day. Similar researchers said, to exposures seen in the general adult U.S. population.

Researchers found that men who had higher BPA excretions had higher testosterone levels in their blood. Researchers said the changes were modest. There were no significant changes in women.

"This is the first big study of BPA from a European country and confirms that 'routine' exposures in the population are not negligible," said David Melzer, professor of Epidemiology and Public Health at the Peninsula Medical School, Exeter, UK. "It also shows that higher exposure to BPA is statistically associated with modest changes in levels of testosterone in men."

Melzer says this is just the first step in proving that BPA might be active in the body as a result of ordinary exposure levels. More studies are needed he said.

BPA is commonly used in plastic food and drink containers and has been the focus of controversy over use in those products and baby bottles. The chemical is an endocrine disruptor, which interferes with the body's endocrine system causing developmental, reproductive, and neurological health problems. It's added to plastics to make them more shatterproof. It's also found in the linings of aluminum cans. At issue is whether the chemical leaches out of these containers into food. Concern over health risks for infants has led a number of countries to ban its use in baby bottles.
BPA is one of the most highly produced chemicals in the world. Studies indicate that it can be detected in more than 90 percent of the population.

The Food and Drug Administration is taking a closer look at BPA to determine whether stricter regulation is necessary. In the meantime, the agency says it supports "reasonable steps" to reduce human exposure to the chemical in the food supply.

1. Harry(NJ)

Ok, now I am even more confused, okay hormones in Cows and Chickens help me to produce estrogen, but drinking out of a plastic bottle help me to produce more testosterone. Someone please clarify this for me?

August 27, 2010 at 11:29 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tasta

Then drink your milk out of a plastic bottle and it will even your hormones out. Easy fix to the problem eh?

August 27, 2010 at 12:05 | Report abuse |
    • LowT

Hold on... I'm paying good money for Androgel to boost my Testosterone levels any you are telling me all I have to do is drink from plastic bottles? Jeeezz... I need to talk to my doctor...

August 27, 2010 at 14:26 | Report abuse |
    • JAMES D IN TENNESSEE

CORRELATION IS NOT CAUSE. Younger active guys use bpa bottles to carry water and sports drinks. It's pretty much what those bottles are made for. Active men have higher testosterone. Coincidence equals news on cnn.com

August 27, 2010 at 15:04 | Report abuse |
    • Eric

well since the study looked at men 20 to 74, i would say not all of them are active young men, so that throws out your argument, JAMES D IN TENNESSEE

August 27, 2010 at 15:11 | Report abuse |
    • Minge

JIMMY D... you just got served.

August 27, 2010 at 15:23 | Report abuse |
    • JAMES D IN TENNESSEE

Well the story doesnt say that the 74 year old in the study had higher T, only that as a group the men who used bpa had higher T. The geezers could have the same levels of T if using bpa products or not while most of the total T elevation may be in the younger end of the sample. Or the older guys could be doping for all i know. Either way you need to understand more about sampling in scientific studies if writing a news story on it. Working for cnn much?

August 27, 2010 at 15:28 | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Jimmy D is a tool

August 27, 2010 at 15:33 | Report abuse |
    • LOOKATMEIAMCOMMENTINGONARTICLESYEEEEHAAA

Ohh Snap. Word.

August 27, 2010 at 15:34 | Report abuse |
    • JAMES D IN TENNESSEE

BTW, BPA is some really bad stuff. throw it out if you have any.

August 27, 2010 at 15:38 | Report abuse |
    • Josh

FACE PALM!

August 27, 2010 at 15:40 | Report abuse |
    • moobs

Obviously, James should be more concerned about CNN's man boobs article

August 27, 2010 at 15:40 | Report abuse |
    • Scott

James D is right you idiots. If people who are more active drink more stuff from bottles, which is totally true, this correlation will be obtained. Thus, it's not the chemical that affects testosterone, it's that guys with higher testosterone tend to consume more BPA. And yes CNN is terrible at assuming causation from correlations, esp. in preliminary exploratory research.

August 27, 2010 at 15:41 | Report abuse |
    • moobs

Ditto for Scott

August 27, 2010 at 15:42 | Report abuse |
    • Scott

Dear Moobs, some of us don't approve of you, which is why we hit the gym a lot, which is why we know about the association between lifting weights & using plastic bottles. If you put down the cheetos, venture outside of your mom's basement, and move some you might end up losing weight and being able to replace your hand with an actual woman (besides your mom, that is).

August 27, 2010 at 15:47 | Report abuse |
    • moobs

You hit the gym because you don't approve of me? That's pretty funny. Really you hit the gym to try to get rid of your moobs. But as people commented, hitting the gym won't work. You better look into surgery.

August 27, 2010 at 15:51 | Report abuse |
    • BC in BA

James D is right that correlation doesn't equal cause and it drives me crazy when the media does that. In this case though, they weren't correlating plastic bottle usage alone, with testerone, they were measuring BPA in the urine and doing the correlation. It doesn't say what other possible sources of BPA in the urine are, so it's still pretty hard to judge their conclusions, but if it's known that the main source is plastic bottles then there's a pretty good case for cause/effect.

August 27, 2010 at 16:13 | Report abuse |
    • kmcg

The issue here is that you are all assuming that ONLY active men use plastic and that ONLY active men are young... both terrible assumptions. For example, my 61 year old father works out every day, 4-5 times a week in the gym, the rest at home. He also buys plastic water bottles because they are easy to transport and drinks about 2 a day.

Additionally, soda is also sold in plastic. It is also sold in Aluminum cans – aluminum has BPA in it. Tuna comes in aluminum. Soup comes in aluminum.

Tupperware has PBA.

We still have to recognize that correlation does not mean causation!!! BUT making assumptive statements such as "only young people are active and active people use more plastic bc of water bottles and sports drinks than any other subpopulation and testosterone is higher in active people, therefore the study is flawed" is just ridiculous.

August 27, 2010 at 16:47 | Report abuse |
    • youhavetoadmit

Phthalates. Also found in plastic.mimic the female hormone oestrogen.shown that this can mean boys are born with genital abnormalities. Now they say certain phthalates also impact on the developing brain, by knocking out the action of the male hormone testosterone. They found that two phthalates DEHP and DBP can affect play behaviour.

Boys exposed to high levels of these in the womb were less likely than other boys to play with cars, trains and guns or engage in "rougher" games like playfighting.

PHTHALATES
      There are many different types and the most commonly used are deemed entirely safe by regulators
      DEHP – used to make PVC soft and pliable and used in products like flooring
      DBP – used as a plasticiser in glues, dyes and textiles

Elizabeth Salter-Green, director of the chemicals campaign group CHEM Trust, said the results were worrying.

"We now know that phthalates, to which we are all constantly exposed, are extremely worrying from a health perspective, leading to disruption of male reproduction health and, it appears, male behaviour too.

"This feminising capacity of phthalates makes them true 'gender benders'."

She acknowledged that the boys who have been studied were still young, but she said reduced masculine play at this age might lead to other feminised developments in later life.

But Tim Edgar, of the European Council for Plasticisers and Intermediates, said: "We need to get some scientific experts to look at this study in more detail before we can make a proper judgement."

He said there were many different phthalates in use and the study concerned two of the less commonly used types that were on the EU candidate list as potentially hazardous and needing authorisation for use.

DBP has been banned from use in cosmetics, such as nail varnish, since 2005 in the EU.

The British Plastics Federation said: "Chemical safety is of paramount importance to the plastics industry which has invested heavily in researching the substances it uses.

"Moreover, the new European Chemical Regulation, REACH, will ensure further rigorous evaluation and testing or chemical substances and their uses."

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8361863.stm

August 27, 2010 at 16:50 | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

Exposure, such as eating food stored in containers made with BPA in them or drinking drinks on containers with BPA as part of them can raise testosterone. That alters the estrogen/testosterone balance and is unpredictable with our current knowledge.
      There were similar findings with certain organophosphates, such as with certain pesticides where there were incidents where animals in contaminated areas failed to properly sexually mature and had reproductive developmental anomalies that prevented reproduction upon reaching maturity.
      This lead to tighter controls on some, banning with others.
      If this can raise testosterone in men, it bears watching with women as well. The number if effects of elevated testosterone in women are extremely high if the level goes high, slight elevations cause less problems.
      It IS interesting that no women were studied though, as their hormonal system is more complex, hence more fragile.

August 28, 2010 at 12:30 | Report abuse |
    • B

What'sup all...let's consider this...who is running the tests on the BPA...perhaps the same people that ran the tests on global warming only to find later that all the real data was hid. Now, I've known lots of scientists and they are way too concerned with data to ever lie or hide results. Usually as it is in all cases...the managers don't want to look worthless so they tell the scientists to make it look pretty or fix it. That way, the fault can come back on the scientists. How does this fit with BPA...the people running the tests are lying about it. I don't care what they say, BPA is bad for people. We have no business using plastic. I am almost positive that any plastic; except BPA free; bonds to enzyme sites in our bodies and in doing so; prevents Amino Acids from being made which account for pretty much everything in our bodies, including T. Consider also this....why is it that a woman can get estrogen all they want. A woman can even get testosterone all they want. And yet, it is much different for men. All the really good supplements that used to exist out there that went right into the blood stream have been labeled ineffective and/or dangerous. While, at the same time prescription drugs are like the number one killer in the US...am I wrong here. So, 4 people died a year from ephedra or whatever. The kid probably took an entire bottle or something and all of a sudden our FDA is doing us a favor by removing it and saving us from ourselves. NO!! They do the same thing with T. They do this because T, can make men more aggressive. The last thing any government wants is a bunch of pissed off cavemen out there beating down peoples doors and putting the fear into the system that we live in to change. The more doped up and docile they keep us; the more fearful they keep us, the easier it is for the system to control people. Think about it people; because it's real. I would not doubt one bit that they know BPA LOWERS T levels but they would never say that. The FDA knew in the 1970's that it is impossible for plaque to be made from cholesterol...PERIOD. And yet, they are still medicating people with Lipitor. Bottom line; get yourself some mason jars to drink out of. Stay away from artificial sweetners and partially hydrogented oils....stay away from any and all prescription drugs...just my opinion...

September 2, 2010 at 21:05 | Report abuse |
  2. bertrum

Time to hit the bottle!

August 27, 2010 at 11:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Valerie

Do you realize how difficult it is in the U.S. today to avoid BPA? I am currently pregnant, so any BPA that I take in also goes to the baby. This means I have to cut out certain types of plastic (all of the numbers leach some type of toxin, even if not BPA), and no canned goods (including canned soda, etc.). And of course, every receipt I touch I must wash my hands. And that may not even be safe, I might need rubber gloves. If manufacturers could find alternatives to BPA that are not another form of toxin, my life and yours would be a lot healthier and easier.

August 27, 2010 at 13:12 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Paul Ronco

Thank you for telling me about BPAs in receipt paper. I never knew this.

August 27, 2010 at 13:37 | Report abuse |
    • Valerie

Paul, it is in only in approximately 40% of receipts via the transfer paper used to transfer the 'ink' or words/numbers onto the receipts, not the paper itself. Do a search on BPA here on CNN, they have an article about it. So does NPR and a few other places.

August 27, 2010 at 14:02 | Report abuse |
    • Robert W.

We all need gardens in the back yard if we have a back yard.

August 27, 2010 at 14:26 | Report abuse |
    • Tony

While I applaud the concern you show for your unborn child, just wanted to make the point that there are also countless women who don't show this same level of concern about not eating anything that was canned or stored in plastic etc as you do and their children turn out just fine. Perhaps our concern over this is a little extreme?

August 27, 2010 at 14:39 | Report abuse |
    • Rod

My life won't be made any easier, because I'm not a hypochondriac that thinks everything they touch will kill them. A little extra testosterone never hurt anyone, go have a beer and relax.

August 27, 2010 at 14:39 | Report abuse |
    • CDMH

Valerie: First of all, congratulations mama! Second of all, your comments struck a chord with me. It sounds like you're very informed and doing a great job of trying to keep your baby safe. However, I have to agree with Tony somewhat. It's only relatively recently that we're learning about the dangers of BPA. So while it is advisable to be cautious, I wouldn't worry too much. I freaked out about EVERYTHING when I was pregnant with my daughter (I'm not accusing you of 'freaking out'). But my worry during the pregnancy continued during the first 6 months or so of my daughter's life and made it MUCH more stressful than it should have been. So I guess my unsolicited advice would be to continue doing what you feel is best, but don't let it overtake your life. I calmed down immensely when she started putting everything in her mouth anyway. 🙂 (And she's now a perfectly beautiful and incredibly smart 14-month old.)

August 27, 2010 at 15:02 | Report abuse |
    • Laura

There is credible research that suggests autism is caused, or partially caused, by increased testosterone in the mother while the fetus is in the womb. I'd like to see this potential link thoroughly examined, so that maybe the real cause could be found and people would stop withholding vaccinations from their children.

August 27, 2010 at 15:31 | Report abuse |
    • Harry(NJ)

Laura, at the sametime you also have additives that increase the amout of estrogen in someones system. Infant formula contains soy, which has estrogen producing ensymes, you also have estrogren producing hormones in chicken and cow's milk, So what is confusing is that if BPA increase testosterone but our dietary intake of certain foods causes people sercrete more estrogen, then what is the net result? Does it balance out? will we have more testosterone or more estrogen? Will women exhibit characteristics of men or will men exhibit characteristics of women?
      Everytime there is some study that is published that contridicts another study, So I can't see how the average person would be able to understand how to live.

August 27, 2010 at 15:51 | Report abuse |
    • Valerie

Tony and CDMH, I have a son who is on the autism spectrum, and a daughter who isn't, so I worry about these things more than many mothers. I also plan on breastfeeding for at least a year after birth, all the while watching what I consume then as well. The way I see it, any potential harm that can be avoided, (even if it's that they get cancer at age 56 rather than 48), I would like to try and avoid by being as healthy as possible. I've also started to stay away from meat and dairy unless it is organic, in many cases substituting veggie-meats for actual meat. The sad fact of the matter is that all of the little things I do to try and be healthier may not even be enough to be worth the effort, as I've heard that soy has dangerous compounds, as well. I would have to make it my full time job to research exactly what my family should or shouldn't eat, wear, build my house out of, etc just to come out ahead. There's a water filter that pulls water out of the atmosphere, supposed to be the healthiest possible water to drink, but it costs just under a thousand dollars. Perhaps in the future we will all have one if they come down in price. I suppose the steps I take to try to have a healthy child are more psychologically comforting than anything else.

August 27, 2010 at 16:34 | Report abuse |
    • CDMH

I understand your concern more now. From your original post I incorrectly assumed you were a first time mother. Hopefully someday we'll have better answers and we can figure out what is safe or not and in what amounts. I hope everything goes well with your new little one.

August 27, 2010 at 17:06 | Report abuse |
    • CDMH

Oh, and my last post was not meant to imply that anything that you came in contact with or ingested during your pregnancy caused your son to have an autism spectrum disorder. I can just understand the concern a mother would have trying to ensure that her kids have the healthiest lives possible in this world of chemical additives.

August 27, 2010 at 17:11 | Report abuse |
    • Kathy

They will not do that. It would cost MONEY and even though most of these manufacturers are controlled by males, even though these chemicals have adverse affects on people, as long as it affects the males they will not do anything. It almost seems like males worse enemy is other males. I have to admit, I have seen society do much more to protect women than it has to protect males. Even though all of this shows that males are the weaker sex by far, I still want to keep the males around and so do most of the women I know.

August 28, 2010 at 02:38 | Report abuse |
    • Valerie

Kathy, Women are the majority of consumers, so if we all had a voice together, perhaps they would. Bisphenol A was invented in the 1930s to be a replacement for estrogen (an artificial form of estrogen), but it was not deemed safe enough and at some point it was realized that although it wasn't healthy as an estrogen substitute, it works great at binding plastics and thus it was further produced. If consumers band together and decide not to purchase products made with it, or shop at stores who use it in their transfer paper, then things will change. Heck, it was used in baby bottles until around 2002. At the moment, it may or may not still be used in the cheaper ones or imported ones. One product that has the highest level of transferring BPA into the body is in liquid baby formula. Not powdered, liquid.

CDMH, Thanks for the words of encouragement, it's nice to see comments from people such as yourself in this section.

August 28, 2010 at 12:29 | Report abuse |
    • MeTarzan

If you're concerned about the health of your family, why is it you don't vaccinate your kids? How can someone who claims to be so well-informed on health issues believe that vaccines haven't been proven to prevent diseases?

August 30, 2010 at 10:32 | Report abuse |
  4. Waterfalls

Oh FDA, please please please BAN BPA. No more products with BPA. We really need a world-wide ban. This is a disgrace.

August 27, 2010 at 13:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. SS

BPAhas also been linked to Lobster die-offs on the East Coast as it works its way into our oceans . The chemical affects their shells making them more vulnerable to disease and interfering with their reproductive cycle. The FDA should consider not only the health of human populations, but also the health of those creatures who live in the path of our waste as they take another look at BPA use! Here is a link on the lobsters: http://www.treehugger.com/files/2010/08/lobster-dieoffs-linked-to-plastic-pollution-including-bisphenol-a.php

August 27, 2010 at 13:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Bob

All these man-made chemicals in our food, water and air supply.. It is like we are genetically changing ourselves into another species

August 27, 2010 at 13:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chemozoid

That is the "Plan"

August 27, 2010 at 14:38 | Report abuse |
    • Harry(NJ)

Yes so we can all look like the Avatar people. Turing blue now.

August 27, 2010 at 15:57 | Report abuse |
    • Kathy

Not into another "species", just into another gender...female but at least it will be an improvement.

August 28, 2010 at 02:32 | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

Genetically changing? This is raising a natural hormone, possibly by metabolizing into a substitute.
      That doesn't change gene expression. Mutagens do that.

August 28, 2010 at 12:32 | Report abuse |
  7. russ

Oh poor us! The world is coming to an end!

The fruitcake greens will jump all over this one!

August 27, 2010 at 14:11 | Report abuse | Reply
    • SS

Are you saying that we should just let companies expose the general public to any toxins they please without restrictions? Those "fruitcake greens" you mention actually care about the long term survival of the human race... what do you care about?

August 27, 2010 at 14:16 | Report abuse |
    • Antonio

I'm sorry, was this a study on pizza? Why are believing what some italians say about our plastic – they can't even keep the princess safe from a mutant turtle/dinosaur!

WOOHOO go BPA!

August 27, 2010 at 14:45 | Report abuse |
    • jamesd in tennessee

russ, you are a dumbass. turn to fox.

October 26, 2010 at 01:40 | Report abuse |
  8. John

Is this why I have symptoms of roid rage every time I drink out of the water bottle? I mean I'm drinking one right no–HUUUUUUUUUUUUUULK SMASHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Honestly last time I checked, plastic decreases testosterone and raises estrogen.

August 27, 2010 at 14:17 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Joe

LOL @ HUUUUUUUUUUUUUULK SMASHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

August 27, 2010 at 14:43 | Report abuse |

BULK CRUSH!

August 28, 2010 at 12:33 | Report abuse |
  9. Theo

I wonder if they considered that men with more testosterone to begin with sweat more, therefore drink more water. In addition, men who have higher levels of testosterone probably ingest more food, meaning more food that was stored in plastic food containers. I agree with John on this one; plastics generally raise estrogen.

August 27, 2010 at 14:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Jen

Ok so now I'm confused. I thought BPA increased estrogen and not testosterone.

August 27, 2010 at 14:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. rufus

Please, more plastic water bottles for our president!

August 27, 2010 at 14:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Joe

My girlfriend really likes that I drank out of BPA plastic bottles as a kid. It's big.

August 27, 2010 at 14:42 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Wzrd1

HIGH levels of testosterone in women cause a litany of issues, to include cliteromegaly, masculinization and reproductive issues.

August 28, 2010 at 12:35 | Report abuse |
  13. Lazlo

It would be interesting to see which ages had higher levels of BPA in their urine. If the younger men had higher levels BPA they would naturally have a higher level of testosterone. Also, due to their lifestyle would younger men be more likely to drink beverages from plastic bottles than older men. So what is really the cause and effect? I don't think this study is conclusive.

August 27, 2010 at 14:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Bill744

So this is why I lost all that hair??? (Testosterone is converted to DHT which can attack hair follicles.)
    Seriously, rates of female hair loss have been rising.
    I wish someone could map out how much BPA has been consumed year by year over the past several decades and look for correlations with conditions related to fooling around with excessive hormone levels.

August 27, 2010 at 15:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Bill744

BPA history here: http://www.jsonline.com/watchdog/watchdogreports/34532374.html

August 27, 2010 at 15:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Bill744

There's a BPA history here: http://www.jsonline.com/watchdog/watchdogreports/34532374 dot html

August 27, 2010 at 15:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Bill744

There's a BPA history here: w w w dot jsonline.com/watchdog/watchdogreports/34532374 dot html

August 27, 2010 at 15:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Bill744

sorry, overly sensitive touchpad on the laptop!

August 27, 2010 at 15:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Bradley Sebastian

No wonder UFC has become so popular. Football and Boxing just wasn't enough for us new SUPERMEN!!!

August 27, 2010 at 15:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. John

Connecting the dots: Increased testosterone levels over the lifetime are related to increased risk of prostate cancer. See: AMERICAN JOURNAL OF HUMAN BIOLOGY 22:449–455 (2010) "Population Differences in the Testosterone Levels of Young Men are Associated with Prostate Cancer Disparities in Older Men" by LOUIS CALISTRO ALVARADO

August 27, 2010 at 15:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Vic Vega

Now I'm CONFUSED. I thought that the BPA's we like Estrogen, now they are saying they are like Testosterone. What gives?

August 27, 2010 at 15:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Zipster257

I recently replaced salt in the shaker with granulated BPA, my family especially likes how it brings out the flavor in fish, I can't wait for the new transdermal BPA patch from Blixto Pharma, it will increase the joy already in life due to BPA

August 27, 2010 at 15:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Mavvv

I used plastic male vibrator on my wife last nite. She had to shave her mustashe this morning .....no more plastic toys for her we are converting to aluminimum.

August 27, 2010 at 15:22 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kathy

You had to use a plastic toy? This shows that males are in danger as it is clear you could not use your own penis. Well maybe you can not get it up but she can still look at it and play with it.

August 28, 2010 at 02:31 | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

Yeah, Kathy is right. Silicone is the way to go.
      Works for her and her significant other.

August 28, 2010 at 12:37 | Report abuse |
  24. brian

To JAMES D IN TENNESSEE:

There are a bazillion animal studies to show that BPA interferres with the endocrine system. This study wasn't undertaken by people who don't understand the concept of correlation and causation.

brian

August 27, 2010 at 15:24 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Scott

Right, but the reports in the media about this preliminary findings are almost always misconstrued in predictable ways. But yeah BPA is nasty stuff.

August 27, 2010 at 15:44 | Report abuse |
    • jamesd in tennessee

not the study so much as the article.....are you apes incable of understanding written english? you ppl are mostly total asses....and sadly you are the well informed ppl reading supposed news sites.....as stupid as the average person is technically half the people out there are even stupider......

October 26, 2010 at 01:46 | Report abuse |
  25. moobs

Obviously James should be more concerned about CNN's man boobs article

August 27, 2010 at 15:38 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Wzrd1

When 900 years you reach, look so good you will not.

August 28, 2010 at 12:38 | Report abuse |
    • jamesd in tennessee

and fuck you moobs

October 26, 2010 at 01:47 | Report abuse |
  26. nebo

BPA may be a risk, but just because something is "BPA-free" doesn't mean the risk is gone. It is required to make polycarbonate plastic. The question is, did they just replace the BPA with something we will later learn is a problem? Just remember, there is a much much greater risk of serious injury or death when drive your car or ride your bicycle, but are you going to foresake those too?

August 27, 2010 at 15:40 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jim

Are you like, stupid? Driving a car = no damage done. Eat BPA = damage done. If you want to throw statistics around, go sit in a class with all the other retard*d economics kiddies who are still reeling from the weekend hangover.

August 27, 2010 at 16:49 | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

Jim, you ARE stupid. ALL health issues are analyzed by statistics. Otherwise one would NEVER be able to figure out what trends are going on in health in general and disease in specific.
      Tracing an epidemic is PURE statistics. Without it, one would NEVER find the cause.
      Learn the facts before you fart from your mouth.

August 28, 2010 at 12:40 | Report abuse |
  27. Michael

So Floyd Landis could have used this to explain his increased testosterone levels. Too bad he's outed himself and everyone else. Bastad !!!

August 27, 2010 at 15:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. fete chef

Two days ago the Canadian government made history as the first jurisdiction ever to label BPA as "TOXIC".

See Toronto Star article:

August 27, 2010 at 15:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Wzrd1

That means that in 20 years, the US government will ban it.

August 28, 2010 at 12:41 | Report abuse |
  29. Angela Heather

Female hormonse are also negatively impacted. Got my bloodwork back recently and my progesterone was in the hole. BPA is a likely culprit and there are no good or safe ways to treat imbalances with prescription meds. I've been trying to decrease exposure and everything we use and eat comes in this stuff!

August 27, 2010 at 16:16 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Joe

Remind me to stay away from that hole. 😀

August 27, 2010 at 16:50 | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

One test is useless with progesterone and estrogen. It's the change in ratio between the two that trigger the menstrual flow or build the endometrium before.
      So, progesterone tanked COULD just be a reflection of where you are in your cycle.
      Important information that doctors know.

August 28, 2010 at 12:44 | Report abuse |
  30. jimmy

Good, it's about time men grew their balls back.

August 27, 2010 at 16:22 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kathy

Jimmy, from the studies, as these men "grow their balls back" many of these males will find they have cancer in the balls they treasure so much. I sure am glad I do not have "balls"

August 28, 2010 at 02:28 | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

Funny, Kathy. Especially as ovarian cancer is FAR more common than testicular cancer.
      As for mine, the kids are grown and out of the house and we've been married for 29 years. We have no personal life to speak of, so we talk more than play youthful games.

August 28, 2010 at 12:46 | Report abuse |
  31. Penny Lane

I wonder if this causes autism? Neurological problems. That's autism. Why are there so many children with autism? Since the early 1990's autism has just exploded. I want to know why.

August 27, 2010 at 16:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Jim

Ah, the pursuit of wealth. Create products first, ask questions later. Gotta love it. Then, nobody is held accountable. Who invented BPA and/or pushed its use in the marketplace? Maybe we should take him and put a bullet through every major joint in his/her body to send a message to the other greedy pieces of sh*t on this planet.

August 27, 2010 at 16:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Surthurfurd

Two months from now you will see more men drinking bottled water in the gym ... looking for that little extra something.

August 27, 2010 at 16:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Marty

Dang, pass me a bottled water please!!

August 27, 2010 at 17:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Jim Scheibel

A better way to increase your testosterone naturally is to take DHEA in supplementation form (mexcian yam root). In addition doing short intense circuit traininng has shown to be incredibly effective at increasing natural production of Growth Hormone.

For more info go to http://www.missionwellness.ca

be well

August 27, 2010 at 17:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Bob

Is this why prostate cancer is up 200%?

August 27, 2010 at 17:20 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Wzrd1

There is increased evidence that prostate cancer is linked to a sexually transmitted virus.

August 28, 2010 at 12:48 | Report abuse |
  37. Virginia

First of all thank goodness the chemical BPA is removed through the urine. At least this is not like other chemicals that stay in the body. Secondly there is no doubt that people are becoming more concerned about chemicals in our lives by the day. In my opinion this is a sure sign that they are having a negative impact. Eating healthy is the best recourse to staying healthy. You are what you eat. Heating food in plastic is not advised. Whether chemicals in our lives are causing problems or just playing tricks on our minds remains to be seen. Natural is best and so is food that does not have pathogens. That is why milk and juice is pasturized. A tough balancing act going on here growing good food. The only way I drink enough water is through plastic bottles. My doctor says all I need is 2 and a half hours of aerobics every week. So I must be healthy.

August 27, 2010 at 17:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. will

The solution is this is easy, just go back to the way things used to be – put everything in glass bottles or jars.
    Well, maybe not ketchup.

August 27, 2010 at 17:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Lee

This article does not do a very good job of backing up the hypothesis. Ok, we all know BPA is bad. However, I would like to know why the agency performing the study believes the BPA causes the body to generate more testosterone. The article does not contain enough facts. BPA is a toxin, which can disrupt all kind of hormone levels. Next lousy headline "Does Testosterone cause Alzheimer’s?

August 27, 2010 at 17:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Virginia

My husband and I are terrified of Alzheimers. Just when we get a chance to enjoy life we think we can't remember anything. Then I talked to my Aunt who can't remember anything and she is hilarious. I realized that maybe not remembering is a blessing. So long as she can recognize her children and grandchildren she says she will be fine. Yep I can still recognize my kids and my husband so far is not a stranger. Maybe we are too worried about phases in life that might have some family contribution in ways that we don't really understand? My Aunt says we must accept the changes in our lives since we can not escape them. Look at Tiger Woods he got Alzheimers at a young age and couldn't remember his own wife. If he was 95 the family would think that was hilarious however not so good at a young age. To stay engaged in your immediate family helps keep the neurons firing even though that sometimes feels like the opposite. With all the people in the world disconnecting from the immediate kin might cause the most confusion of all.

August 27, 2010 at 18:32 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Wzrd1

Virginia, that is a cute story.
      How about THIS one that I witnessed:
      An elderly man who was suffering from Alzheimers had to be reminded several times a day that his wife was dead after he repeatedly became agitated because he thought the staff were keeping her from him.
      He suffered the same feelings of loss each time he was told, as it was the first time.

August 28, 2010 at 12:51 | Report abuse |
  41. Kathy

Since posting this, I have seen many other reports of the many ways males are at risk. There are too many to not listen to what these studies are saying about how fragil the male really is. I know much more is being spent on women's health but maybe we need to spend some more on male health too, if we want to keep the males around.

August 29, 2010 at 04:38 | Report abuse | Reply
    • MeTarzan

There have been far more medical research studies done concerning male health than has ever been spent studying female health.

August 30, 2010 at 08:17 | Report abuse |
  42. Sarah, The Healthy Home Economist

BPA is linked with so many hormonal problems, I've lost count. Most troubling to me is that it raises estrogen levels in young girls and is linked with plummeting puberty age.

August 29, 2010 at 17:35 | Report abuse | Reply
    • MeTarzan

It has not been conclusively shown what is causing early puberty in girls. It may be BPA, but it may be other factors, such as obesity.

August 30, 2010 at 08:18 | Report abuse |
    • Kathy

It seems that in girls, it makes girls mature much sooner. In males, it simply kills most of them before they are even born because of the weakness of males. Males may have more physical strenth, but women have more survival stregth. Still what good is it for girls to mature earlier, if there a shortage of males because most have died from this pollution?

September 1, 2010 at 02:19 | Report abuse |
  43. Eeyore

Ask Valerie if she's concerned enough about her children to vaccinate them against preventable diseases.

August 29, 2010 at 22:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. jamesd in tennessee

spleh

October 26, 2010 at 01:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. raynar

Using plastic baby bottles is jeopardy our baby, non free BPA is one solution

November 14, 2010 at 07:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. buy anabolic steroids online uk

Now you could have your new website online and also you’re eager to start making some sales! But, how will you make gross sales for those who should not have high volumes of tourists to your website?

May 5, 2011 at 01:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. Yaswanth Reddy

Testosterone is one of the vital hormonal elements in human health system that is primarily responsible for energy, strength and stamina; that is directly in most of the ways and indirectly as well in some

February 23, 2015 at 05:50 | Report abuse | Reply