home
RSS
Egg-splained: Free-range, cage-free and organic
August 20th, 2010

Egg-splained: Free-range, cage-free and organic

With the salmonella-based outbreak, eggs are on our minds these days.  To help answer questions you might have,  our friends at Eatocracy explain  the differences among  free-range, cage-free and organic eggs.

For the latest on the Salmonella outbreak that led to the recall of 380 million eggs, check out CNN's coverage.

Filed under: Food Safety

1. Tricia Hamilton

People throw out so much food. Why are we cutting back on quality instead of doing things right? Shame on the FDA!!

August 21, 2010 at 18:08 | Report abuse | Reply
    • comfortablynumb

Shame on us all. We're entertained to death, oblivious and unconcerned.

August 25, 2010 at 17:58 | Report abuse |
  2. erin

I totally agree Tricia!

August 21, 2010 at 22:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Elle

I live in the northern panhandle of west va. & i am darn near sure i got this salmanella too. it was vile! my eggs were hard boiled, but within 6 hours i was going both ends til it was acid. hillandale were the eggs. ohios perhaps one mile away&pennsy about 6 miles. this out break is far worse than they say!

August 23, 2010 at 02:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Smith in Oregon

The number ONE reason for salmonella poisoning from chicken eggs is poor cooking and kitchen habits. Sadly, that wasn't clearly explained nor was it given the due focus which it entirely deserves regarding the number of salmonella cases in America.

Raw chickens and Raw chicken eggs often contain salmonella and e-coli bacteria which are fully capable of making any human consuming them ill. Good cooking and kitchen habits can almost entirely prevent ANYONE from contracting Salmonella and E-Coli poisoning.

When handling and preparing raw chickens and raw chicken eggs make absolutely certain forks and knives that touch them are not again used with the cooked final product. Make certain you completely sanitize your hands after handling a raw chicken before handling any food ready for consumption. The biggest gateway of Salmonella poisoning is thru the bad habit of a person using a fork or tool to scramble or whip up raw eggs and that same fork or tool later comes into contact with the cooked eggs.

Nearly everyone has a microwave in their kitchen. I'm betting it takes a mere 60 seconds of a finished egg or chicken dinner placed into a microwave to de-active and kill the bacteria's Salmonella, E-Coli and likely all virus's that might still exist on that egg or chicken plate.

Tip, after preparing a egg or chicken product and placing it onto it's final serving plate, pop that into the microwave set on high for 60 seconds.

August 24, 2010 at 01:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Annika

I've heard cage-free eggs have a higher protein content. I like to buy organic so that my children and I are not consuming hormones and antibiotics, but with my strained budget I sometimes settle fo just cage free.
    Next time I buy eggs I'll probably go with organic becouse I like to think those companies hold themselves to a higher standard.

August 24, 2010 at 09:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Sara DeBeaumont

I believe these huge factory farms are the problem with our food supply. They way we produce our food has drastically changed in the last 50 years. We, as consumers, need to take a stand and demand that conditions within these factories improve.
    It is true that we can prevent these illnesses by thouroughly cooking our food, but if these animals were kept in sanitary conditions, being fed what they are designed to eat, many of the bacteria that are behind these outbreaks would not be present.
    My six year old daughter contracted e-coli 2 years ago. Her kidneys failed and she almost died as a result. I am very aware of where my food comes from now. Luckily, I have access to local organic eggs and grass-fed beef in my community. I suggest seeking out alternative options to these factory farms to anyone who can find them. We need to take control of our food supply once again!

August 24, 2010 at 10:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. JoyJohnson

NEW ALERT!!!!
    Found PARASITE EGGS in egg yolks. How to Test: On a raw or partially cooked yolk gently run WATER ON THE BROKEN YOLK and watch THE EGGS COME OUT– EGGS LOOK LIKE CLEAR, CRYSTAL BALLS.
    The carton of the brand I tested this on told consumer to cook the yolk thoroghly; But if you do that you would not be able to test for eggs. You cannot see eggs until you put water on them–which evidently causes them to swell and be visible.

And how would you bake a cake?

August 24, 2010 at 11:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. JoyJohnson

Have discovered parasite eggs in several types of prducts. Suggest everything be tested before using - on hands, laundry, oils, baby and hand wipes; egg yolks. First discovered this on my paper towels when runnng water on one, intending to wipe down my kitchen counter. Pour a little and/or run some water on the product. Parasite eggs look like small clear crystal balls once they get wet. Cannot be seen until they get water on them. My entire kitchen is now contaminated.

August 24, 2010 at 11:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Joy Johnson

Suggest the equipment (tubs, tubes, funnels, utnesils, etc.) used to manufacture products are contaminated, and therefore infect the products.

This is no longer a third world problem. Iti s reported that parasites burrow under the skiin to lay eggs, perforate vital organs, and that their dead carcases stress the immune system.

August 24, 2010 at 11:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Jason

ITS MADE OUT OF PEOPLE !!!!!!!!

August 25, 2010 at 19:53 | Report abuse | Reply