home
RSS
August 19th, 2010

How can I relieve the burning in my mouth?

As a feature of CNNhealth.com, our team of expert doctors will answer readers' questions. Here's a question for Dr. Gupta.

From Karen Burns, Matawan, New Jersey

"My mouth has been on fire for two years! I have burning mouth syndrome. Could you please provide information about this disturbing syndrome?”

Answer:
Karen, thank you for your question. As you have experienced, burning mouth syndrome (BMS) can be a painful, frustrating condition that causes a sensation of moderate to severe burning in the mouth which can last from months to years. The pain can include your tongue, lips, gums, insides of your cheeks, roof of your mouth, and can feel like you’ve scalded your mouth.

While BMS can affect anybody, its more common among middle-aged or older women, according to the National Institutes of Health. Some people experience a bitter or metallic taste in their mouth, a dry or sore mouth, or tingling or numbness in the mouth and tongue. The pain can take on different patterns, according to the Mayo Clinic, including starting with mild pain when you awaken, but worsening as the day goes on, or it can be severe all day, from the beginning of the day. It can also come and go, or you may experience days without any pain at all.

The syndrome is frustrating because it’s often difficult or impossible to pin down the cause of the burning, making treatment a challenge. Possible causes range the gamut, including hormonal changes, nutritional deficiencies, oral candidiasis, acid reflux, ill-fitting dentures or an allergy to denture materials, dry mouth caused by medicines or disorders, damage to nerves that control pain and taste, excessive mouth irritation resulting from over brushing of your tongue, overuse of mouthwash, having too many acidic drinks, or anxiety and depression.

To diagnose BMS, your health care professional is likely to run blood work looking for signs of nutritional deficiencies, infection, and disorders that are associated with BMS, which include diabetes or thyroid problems. They will also swab your mouth to check for oral candidiasis. Another option is to test for allergies to denture materials, foods, or other substances that may be causing your condition.

When the cause of the BMS can’t be identified, it’s called primary, or idiopathic burning mouth syndrome. When the cause of BMS can be identified - such as a nutritional deficiency for iron, zinc, one of the B vitamins, or an allergy to denture materials, it’s called secondary burning mouth syndrome.

Your treatment for BMS will depend upon the cause of the burning. If your dentures are causing the irritation, they will need to be adjusted or replaced; if it’s due to a medical condition such as diabetes, Sjogren’s syndrome or a thyroid problem, your medical professional will treat the underlying condition; supplements will be used to treat a nutritional deficiency; if a prescription drug is causing your burning mouth, switching medications may be an option, and medications can be prescribed to relieve underlying conditions including anxiety and depression, dry mouth, oral candidiasis, and pain from nerve damage.

If a cause cannot be found for your BMS, your treatment will focus on relieving your symptoms of pain. There are also things that you can do to relieve mouth pain and dryness, including sucking on ice chips, chewing sugarless gum to keep your mouth moist, sipping water frequently, brushing your teeth or dentures with baking soda and water, and avoiding alcohol, tobacco, and irritating substances such as spicy foods, mouthwashes that contain drying alcohol, and acidic products like citrus fruits and juices.

Filed under: Expert Q&A

1. Phyllis Matlak

Hi Connie, Happy for you that you got relief, do you still take the Bio Strath Tablets ? I just started the mouth burning about Jan. Of this year 2017 ,I had a new dental partial , out in after all the adjustments , I noticed the burning . It's now March 20 2017 . Then maybe my thyroid.

March 20, 2017 at 13:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Yen Mesecar

This is the awesome wonderful search engine in the planet

April 15, 2017 at 08:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. mydentalcareguide.com

The biggest dementia risk factors—age and family history—can t be changed, but scientists have identified others that can be changed or modified to reduce risk of cognitive decline or dementia. Measles are so last century, right? You might think no one actually gets them anymore, but recent outbreaks e8 suggest otherwise.

May 8, 2017 at 09:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. replique boucle d oreille occasion

. Go with the stuff that jives together with your enthusiasm; your passion can capture your client by the nose and guide him her for your affiliate hyperlink. Therefore, in case you’re somebody who would use Fb very usually, making it your homepage and preserving yourself logged in will make it extraordinarily handy so that you can go to your profile and keep in touch with your friends. Generally solar panel are joined to your property’s water supply along with the power is used to heat water, however it is likewise feasible to utilize for other purposes, like heating a pool. I could have hit that ball hundreds of times over and over, but if I am hitting the ball the wrong way for the rest of my life, then I am never going to improve.
    replique boucle d oreille occasion http://www.acheterbijouxsite.com/

May 10, 2017 at 23:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Lee Shollenbarger

Valuable info. Fortunate me I found your web site by accident, and I am surprised why this twist of fate did not happened in advance! I bookmarked it.

May 11, 2017 at 06:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Gayle Lupo

It's reallyactuallyin facttrulygenuinely very complexdifficultcomplicated in this busyfull of activityactive life to listen news on TVTelevision, sothustherefore I onlysimplyjust use internetwebworld wide webthe web for that purposereason, and takegetobtain the latestnewestmost recentmost up-to-datehottest newsinformation.

May 16, 2017 at 05:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Rikki Roecker

Great info and straight to the point. I don't know if this is in fact the best place to ask but do you people have any thoughts on where to employ some professional writers? Thanks 🙂

July 7, 2017 at 17:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. sujeet shinde

my inside of mouth get burn due to hot food on cheek about 4 year ago now its not painful but blackness are remains in mouth plz suggest how to removed it

August 18, 2017 at 04:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. kette love gold imitation

I am uncertain where you’re getting your info, but great topic.
    kette love gold imitation http://www.neuestearmband.net/cartier-halskette-luxuxeinzelteil-haben-leicht-hohen-preis.html

August 21, 2017 at 21:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Burma Kops

Oh my goodness! Incredible article dude! Thank you, However I am experiencing troubles with your RSS.I don’t know the reason why I cannot join it. Is there anybody else getting similar RSS problems?Anyone that knows the answer will you kindlyrespond? Thanks!!

August 24, 2017 at 02:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Telecommunication Small business

Hello there I am so grateful I found your blog, I really found you by error, while I was researching on Askjeeve for something else, Anyways I am here now and would just like to say kudos for a tremendous post and a all round enjoyable blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to go through it all at the moment but I have bookmarked it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a lot more, Please do keep up the fantastic work.

August 27, 2017 at 11:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. tech speaker

You appear to know a lot about this. I needed this. I am on the same side as you. I found this on Pinterest

August 30, 2017 at 20:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. best public relations

Is there new info. I really appreciate your efforts and I will be waiting for your further blogs thank you once again. I bet top Blog experts would agree with you. I had to take a break from playing with my dog to read your post.

August 31, 2017 at 19:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Jesse Grillo

You have a lot of knowledge on this topic. This will definitely be very useful for me when I get a chance to start my page. This website really sparked my interest.

September 2, 2017 at 01:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. big data adviser

I am impressed. There is ordinary, and then there is you.

September 4, 2017 at 03:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Jesse Grillo

Google experts would really love your write up. On a scale from 1 to 10, You are an 11. You deserve a hug right now. There is ordinary, and then there is you.

September 5, 2017 at 14:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Florencio Sattler

I could not believe precisely how much of this I should not understand. Thanks for offering this resources. I am certain to come back on this site to seek out if there is any new content.

September 10, 2017 at 20:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Margla Clerk

Burning Mouth Syndrome Herbal Treatment depends on the underlying causes. Herbal Treatments are also available to release the symptoms of burning mouth syndrome.

September 18, 2017 at 06:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. bracelet van cleef knock off alhambra

I’m impressed, I must say. Rarely do I encounter a blog that’s both educative and interesting, and without a doubt, you have hit the nail on the head. The problem is something that not enough men and women are speaking intelligently about. I am very happy I came across this in my hunt for something concerning this.
    bracelet van cleef knock off alhambra http://www.howcar.net/tag/fake-van-cleef-bracelet

October 12, 2017 at 04:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. b

Has anyone associated a whiplash gone misdiagnosed over time affecting many other body functions such as the ear causing tinnitus, and or migraine?

October 30, 2017 at 00:45 | Report abuse | Reply