home
RSS
August 13th, 2010

Emergency contraceptive approved by FDA

Ella, a prescription-only emergency contraceptive, has received final approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, the drug's manufacturer HRA Pharma, announced Friday.

This is the first drug legally available for use in the United States that can be used within 120 hours, or five days, of unprotected intercourse or failure of some other contraceptive method. But the five-day morning after pill has been available in Europe since 2009 under the brand name ellaOne.

Women who are pregnant, or suspect they are pregnant, should not use this product, the FDA said. Women who are breastfeeding should also not use ella. Here's more labeling information from the FDA.

Watson Pharmaceuticals, Inc. will begin preparations to commercialize the product in the fourth quarter this year, according to HRA Pharma.

Ella got a nod from FDA advisers in June. Here's more on this drug.

1. Mr. Common Sense

why is there so much confusion about conception vs abortion here? do people even TRY to think logically and read the product information? or are they so brainwashed they make a jump right from hormones to ABORTION?? From the insert= "ella may be less effective in women with a body mass index (BMI) > 30 kg/m2." Sorry big girls. it probably wont work for you anyway. That cuts out 97.5% of the southern bible thumping ladies that think this is an abortion pill anyway.

August 15, 2010 at 08:20 | Report abuse | Reply
    • someone

get your facts straight – just because someone is from the South does not mean they are big!
      I am from the South, NOT big (under 130lbs), middle aged, and am very against this. ALL of my friends/colleagues are against this!

August 15, 2010 at 09:45 | Report abuse |
  2. tmcnova

Peter

Your argument about infanticide is one direction of the argument. Complete control of womens bodies by someone other than themselves (slavery) is the other. I am more willing to deal with one or two cells that could maybe one day become a person than virtually enslaving half of the human race.

August 15, 2010 at 09:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. someone

I tried to make a comment from a news page about this crap and it posted on my FB page that I recommend this... that is CRAP!! I am so against this!! Now I can't get it off – it's a freaking trap!! Should say a little about the company!!

August 15, 2010 at 09:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. mary

It is time researchers come up with a contraceptive that destroys sperms as soon as they are released from the testis.

Very sophisticated biological weapons have been created for fighting purposes and killing and wars, it's unfortunate that science has not yet invented a chemical that would take care of almost all problems in the world.

August 15, 2010 at 09:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. grimreaper

I bet a lot on this message board would wish this pill was available to take for the mother of nonovyerbeezwax during her conception. Let me have it

August 15, 2010 at 09:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. grimreaper

The maturity of this message board went to the sandbox the moment nonovyerbeezwax enter a post.

August 15, 2010 at 10:07 | Report abuse | Reply
    • nonovyerbeezwax

And of course, trolls like you have added SO much to the discussion.

August 15, 2010 at 12:19 | Report abuse |
    • eeyore

Beezwax would add more to any discussion than you would, unless it were a discussion about manure. Then you'd be the expert!

August 15, 2010 at 21:40 | Report abuse |
  7. sprout

@feldman,
    pg 5 of the labeling info from the FDA,
    "however, alterations to the endometrium that may affect implantation may also contribute to efficacy."

Their literature indicates prohibiting fertlized egg from implanting may be one way this pill works. You cannot state categorically "ella"does not prevent implantation. Their own literature does not support your position.

August 15, 2010 at 10:37 | Report abuse | Reply
    • nonovyerbeezwax

@sprout: it doesn't say that one or the other is the effect that prevents pregnancy. And who cares which it is? Whether it prevents ovulation or implantation, the ultimate effect is the same: pregnancy is prevented, not ended.

August 15, 2010 at 12:18 | Report abuse |
    • sprout

@nonovyerbeezwax, because poster indicated it did not prevent implantation. It very well might. This changes what category of contraception this is. For many women this is important. I would use bc pills but never an IUD.

August 16, 2010 at 06:44 | Report abuse |
    • nonovyerbeezwax

@sprout: as if anyone cares what you would do. If you aren't the woman in question, you don't need to pipe up.

August 16, 2010 at 19:50 | Report abuse |
  8. D

Thank GOD for this emergency contraceptive! I was getting broke getting aportions all the time!

August 15, 2010 at 18:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. D

Thank GOD for this! Abortions get expensive after a few times!

August 15, 2010 at 18:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Mike

At last! America is almost as far behind in women's rights as Muslim countries!

August 15, 2010 at 19:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Steven P

The FDA. Yeah. Their stamp of approval means it's safe. Means it's efficacious. Means it's regulated.

Yep. Sure. The FDA.

August 15, 2010 at 20:16 | Report abuse | Reply
    • eeyore

Only to people who actually possess brains and common sense.

August 16, 2010 at 08:10 | Report abuse |
  12. Reality Check

The sad thing is that the pro-lifers whom we truly need to weed out from the gene pool all together in order to evolve into a higher species won't take this pill. They just keep pumping out more and more idiots copies themselves to brainwash with rubbish. What are we to do in order to rid ourselves of all the religious nonsense that pollutes society.

Any rational person can see that this pill is needed and desired by the majority because it makes sense and serves a great purpose. Why should anyone be forced to do anything they never had intent on moving forward with if they choose not to do so? Everyone should learn to accept that we all make our own choices regarding what happens with our own bodies.

August 15, 2010 at 22:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Reality Check

August 15, 2010 at 22:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Oh My Goodness .. Learn Self Control.

Abstinance/Celibacy... if the latter fails.. PROTECTION.. or the most important one of all: self control.

August 15, 2010 at 23:50 | Report abuse | Reply
    • eeyore

Oh, yeah, that'll work real well in the case of rape or incest. "Oh, please, Mr. Rapist, have some self-control!"

August 16, 2010 at 08:08 | Report abuse |
    • Leah (TXanimal)

Real life situation: a young woman who used to work for me was raped while on a business trip. She used the Plan B pill after her ordeal. Is that an example of a lack of "self-control" on her part?

August 16, 2010 at 12:33 | Report abuse |
  15. Claire

This is a great gift for women–another tool to help them plan their pregnancies so all babies born will be wanted and loved. Given the number of people already born who are starving and homeless, and given the issue of over-population that could irreversibly poison our environment, use up limited resources, and be devastating in creating more famine and death to those already here, I think such tools are essential. Even abortion itself must be kept safe and legal. It should be a decision a woman makes privately with her healthcare provider, whether it's early term to end an unwanted pregnancy, or late-term due to a genetic or congenital defect. We must stop trying to recriminalize it. If it's against one's religion, that's fine–no one will force them to have one.

August 16, 2010 at 00:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Balance

Way to go, FDA! Hopefully this will be made available w/o a prescription like Plan B. The more options available to help control unwanted/ unplanned pregnancies, the better.

August 16, 2010 at 12:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. becky

Anything that will reduce the rampant unwanted and unplanned pregnancies in our society is a welcome addition. I've used Plan B, and thankfully it worked.

August 16, 2010 at 13:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. SW

I am a man and will never need this pill. However, 25 years ago my girlfried and I had an "Oops" . Luckily for me, she/we decided to keep the baby, we got married and almost 25 years later my beautiful daughter got married this last weekend. And my wife and best friend and i have been married for almost 25 years and we don't plan on ending it any time soon.

For a woman to say that the decision only affects her is selfish in my opinion. In our society, when a woman gets pregnant, the man has NO rights, how fair is that? if a woman wants an abortion, the man can't stop her. A man can't choose not to provide child support. If the man wants the baby but the mother doesn't, he is SOL. It does take TWO and a third life is created from that. I don't think abortion should be illegal, there are reasons it should remain an option. I am not going to ever tell a woman she was wrong to choose an abortion but I will encourage any that ask my opinion to "choose life", it ican be hard but it can work and having a baby is NOT the worst thing that can happen to you and sometimes it is the best, my daughter is proof of that.

August 16, 2010 at 13:25 | Report abuse | Reply
    • nonovyerbeezwax

Nobody cares what you or your daughter have to say on the matter. You made your choice; let others make theirs.

August 16, 2010 at 20:57 | Report abuse |
  19. Bravo1

looks like there are some anti-choicers on the loose....

August 16, 2010 at 13:31 | Report abuse | Reply
    • nonovyerbeezwax

Nah, they're a bunch of losers who have no lives. They're not invested in the issue; they just want to see their screen names on a website.

Sad, isn't it?

August 16, 2010 at 19:00 | Report abuse |
  20. padraig

The problem with this pill is it takes away God's right to punish a harlot for having illicit sex by giving her a baby. What do you not understand?

August 16, 2010 at 14:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Leah (TXanimal)

Awesome, CNN, thanks for putting my reply in the right place ^^^

August 16, 2010 at 15:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. nye

it really dosent matter what opinion u or the next person haves. because while ur all wasting ur time sparing bak and forth, there is a scared person weather it be a men or women of any age making the choice to use the pill. the best any one can is have the information out there for ppl to had to understand and not judge. no one is prefect, "he who is prefect let them cast the first stone" if not dont say any thing that u might later reget. u have ur whole life to live and u dont noe the types of situtation that u would be in down the road. and im ur that u wouldnt want to be judge but to be helped. so do to other what u would want done to u, and treat each other with respect. ( and i noe there um misspelling, sorry im at work and felt i had to put my 2cents in. lol)

August 16, 2010 at 15:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Capt. Obvious

Ok, let's use logic. How do we define life? Brainwaves and a heartbeat. If those two things are not present, that person is not alive. Uncle Bud, lying in his casket, is indeed a unique collection of DNA. He is indeed human. However, we accept that, since he has neither brainwaves or a heartbeat, Uncle Bud is not alive.
    Why can't we use this same definition when dealing with the beginning of life? Acknowledge that upon fertilization it is a unique collection of DNA. It is, by nature, human. However, until a fetus has brainwaves and a heartbeat, it is not alive.
    If we use this very simple method, we could eliminate a lot of unnecessary controversy.
    This is a quantifiable standard based on science and established medical norm, no ones beliefs, feelings or 'rights' have anything to do with adhering to a logical, universal, definition of life.
    If there are extreme circumstances declared by a doctor after that developmental point, that threaten the life of the mother, then there needs to be a very frank conversation between a woman, her partner (if he is in the picture) and her doctor about medical options.

August 16, 2010 at 17:23 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bob from Cali

You're full of shit. This pill doesn't have anything to do with "brain waves", ya moron. It prevents pregnancy; it doesn't end it.

August 16, 2010 at 21:39 | Report abuse |
  24. nonovyerbeezwax

I do get a kick out of the trolls here who are so threatened by any post they find objectionable that they find it necessary to use another poster's name to discredit said poster.

Good luck, my dears. You'll be back in class soon. Failing most of your classes, as usual.

And abortion will remain legal; EllaOne will still be available, and you'll still be as dumb as boxes of hair.

August 16, 2010 at 19:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. nonovyerbeezwax

Gee, I wonder just how many women are reading this crap right now to decide whether or not to take EllaOne. If they've been raped or suffered incest, or the condom broke, do you idiots really think they care about your opinion on the subject?

If so, you should think about growing a brain, and stop worrying about things you couldn't possibly comprehend with the empty skull you now possess.

August 16, 2010 at 19:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. nonovyerbeezwax

Come on, trolls, can't you do better than that? Lame.

August 16, 2010 at 19:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. stan

I'm only interested in babies because I'm one of those disordered guys who likes to wear diapers and suck on a bottle and be cared for by women as if I were a 6-month-old. I love my crib and wouldn't date anyone unless she had a pacifier in her purse.

August 16, 2010 at 20:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Bob from Cali

And I know old women! Take it from me, women like non are hot. They're the only ones that I can get off on.

August 16, 2010 at 20:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. nonovyerbeezwax

Hey, stan, bree, and Bob, perhaps you should re-read the posts. You might find something of interest.

August 16, 2010 at 20:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Dana

Whoops! I guess I jumped the gun! I didn't read all the posts before I spouted off. Sorry about that; I meant no harm.

August 16, 2010 at 20:54 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Abu

The Oracle called me Lame. I am deelpy hurt and offended and will not be taking my lame self to Starbucks for my Grande Dulche de Leche anytime soon.I also am not a fan of the color pink. I do have a pink shirt, and people always tell me it looks great on me, but I just can't get into it.

September 11, 2012 at 23:18 | Report abuse |
  31. Bob from Cali

Wow, what an idiot I am. I hadn't read all of the posts beezwax had written before I posted. My apologies!

EllaOne is obviously a step forward for women.

August 16, 2010 at 21:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Davis

What do I care about EllaOne? I'm a tranny anyhow; I underwent sex reassignment two years ago, and I still haven't had a period!

August 16, 2010 at 21:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. nonovyerbeezwax

Wow, what a bunch of losers. Guess they'll just have to suck it up. The FDA's approved EllaOne and there's not sh*t the f*ckwits who disapprove can do about it.

Poor little malcontents.

August 16, 2010 at 21:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

What a bunch of malcontents and ignorant morons. This medication has been used in Europe for years, with no serious side-effects. Get a clue, you simple-minded idiots. This drug will do nothing to end a pregnancy; it will simply prevent one from occurring.

If you're too stupid to understand that, you're too stupid to own a computer.

August 16, 2010 at 21:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. nonovyerbeezwax

EllaOne is safe, effective and readily available to women who need emergency contraception.

Those of you who disapporve? You're screwed.

August 16, 2010 at 22:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Eyewatch

Dana, I don't know you from Adam's housecat, but you sound like an idiot. Get a GED and go to community college if you can manage it. Maybe you'll become a productive member of society. i doubt it, but anything is possible.

August 16, 2010 at 22:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Dimas Rocha Maia

It's a disaster !!! Unfortunately this kind of "pill" is against the "LIFE". The human being thinks that has the right of the life in their hands. It's a "big mistake".

August 19, 2010 at 19:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Elo Boosting Lol Ph

Hi there, all the time i used to check weblog
    posts here in the early hours in the daylight, because i like to gain knowledge of more
    and more.

October 11, 2014 at 09:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. bustek4

I am very happy that I came across your blog. A great deal of useful information and inspiration on my website http://lol.boosting24.com. I think you continue to develop your site and you will be happy to read your posts.

January 1, 2015 at 08:45 | Report abuse | Reply