home
RSS
August 2nd, 2010

Weight loss pill comes from addiction drugs

What do you get when you combine a drug used to help people stop smoking with a drug that helps people stop drinking?

It turns out that, in a particular combination, you get a weight loss drug, according to researchers.

A study published in the Lancet found that this pill, known as Contrave, showed promising results in a phase 3 trial. This drug's main components are naltrexone, used for alcoholics, and bupropion, used for smokers and patients with depression.

Both of those component medications have been in widespread use for more than 20 years. But there has never been a weight loss pill approved in any country with this combination of the two drugs, said Dr. Frank Greenway, researcher at Pennington Biomedical Research Center in the Louisiana State University System.

Bupropion stimulates neurons that are involved in appetite, and has been found to cause a small amount of weight loss by itself. Naltrexone, in this formulation with bupropion, leads to even more weight loss because of the way it acts in the brain, Greenway said.

Contrave affects both the appetite centers and the reward centers of the brain, he said.

"This may be particularly useful in people who have craving problems that contribute to their difficulty in staying on a diet," he said.

The most common side effect was nausea, which seemed to be due primarily to the naltrexone part, he said. The nausea usually goes away if people continue to take the medication, he said. But people with epilepsy should not take any drug involving bupropion, which can interfere with the disease, he said.

For the most weight loss success, obese patients would take this pill in addition to dieting and exercising more, he said. Diet drugs are not recommended for casual weight loss, but rather for obese people with a body mass index of 30 or above, Greenway said. People with a body mass index of 27 or above may also benefit if they have type II diabetes, which may improve with weight loss.

"They’re usually not something encouraged to be used to lose three or four pounds to get into a bikini for someone who doesn’t have a significant weight problem except in their own mind," he said.

The pharmaceutical company Orexigen Therapeutics, Inc. is working on this drug. Orexigen has submitted its application to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, and could get approval in January, Greenway said.

1. Heather

Bupropion is used to help people stop smoking and to treat depression, while naltrexone is used for alcoholics. You have these reversed above.

August 2, 2010 at 09:20 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Amy

No they did not...Reread paragraph #3 😉

August 2, 2010 at 12:07 | Report abuse |
    • evoc

That's what it said.

August 2, 2010 at 12:47 | Report abuse |
    • Notmyrealname

Reread the paragraph Nimrod.

August 3, 2010 at 14:31 | Report abuse |
  2. Mike R

Nice article overall, but you confused the prior uses of the two drugs in paragraph 3. It should read: "This drug has a mixture of naltrexone, used for alcoholics, and bupropion, used for smokers and patients with depression."

August 2, 2010 at 09:24 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mary

actually, your grammar is still incorrect 🙂

August 2, 2010 at 10:53 | Report abuse |
    • evoc

Uh...it said that .

August 2, 2010 at 12:49 | Report abuse |
  3. elandau

Thanks, everyone 🙂

August 2, 2010 at 09:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Bob

Just another drug that will be sold illegally on the street. This drug sounds like it has potentially serious side-effects.. Come on there's got to be a better way to help the obese!

August 2, 2010 at 09:42 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Carl

Naltrexone would reduce the effects of alcohol, so I doubt it would have much street value. You can get Bupropion and naltrexone fairly cheaply anyway.

August 2, 2010 at 10:30 | Report abuse |
    • Mary

These drugs don't have any street value, and the side effects are minimal. Nice positive attitude, though.

August 2, 2010 at 10:53 | Report abuse |
    • CutTheCarb

There is another way to help the obese, it can be conquered with dietary changes. Carbohydrates drive insulin and insulin drives fat, but this is a too simple solution for the scientific community. Research is focused on other things like strict diets, pathophysiology and genes. And the long known science of fat metabolism is ignored. Exercise is good, but doesn't make you lose weight. This video, http://bit.ly/duSiUK gives a solution for preventing and forcing back obesity without medications.

August 2, 2010 at 11:12 | Report abuse |
    • women.

doubtful. And I am confident that this new drug will be safe, because the two main components have been used for decades, unlike most new drugs that come on the market. and only very rarely do serious side effects occur. These drugs are not addictive and are pretty cheap, so I doubt there'll be much of a demand for them on the street.

August 2, 2010 at 11:15 | Report abuse |
    • Joe Kenadee

There is a better way self-control and exercise. I'm obese and I am losing weight now thanks to these two powerful drugs. We need to stop making excuses for ourselves and we need our friends and family members to motivate us. Not with off color comments but with positive words and a soft touch. I got off the couch after a recent trip to the casino I was called big guy 12 times in two hours. I've lost 6 pounds in 3 weeks and not a single cookie break since.

August 2, 2010 at 11:24 | Report abuse |
    • Adrian

There is! It's called eating right, and exercise!

August 2, 2010 at 11:32 | Report abuse |
    • HugzArbiter

Yes, there is something to help the obese. It's called proper diet, exercise and hard work. Unfortunately, 90 percent of people who are overweight are also not willing to try these measures. I do agree, though, that people who try, and who are unsuccessful should have some sort of clinical help.

I personally would hire a nutritionist with the money I'd be spending on synthetic drugs. =|

August 2, 2010 at 11:39 | Report abuse |
    • mrsmarvel

It's easy to say "diet and exercises" for those who need to lose 20 or so pounds. When a person has 50, 75, 100, 200 pounds, diet and exercise aren't often the problem. Obesity is a health issue but it is also a mental health issue. People eat for various reasons – depression, fear, pain, loneliness, etc. A pill to lose weight won't cure the cause, only the symptom.

August 2, 2010 at 11:50 | Report abuse |
    • Dee

These drugs are already used all the time. As others astutely noted, brain chemistry IS different in every different person. Some people have no signal from their brain that they are full. The brain is the center of all our activity – it sends signals and alerts us (or not) to our condition.

Drugs DO help some. Just because some say "exercise and a sensible diet" are the only way to lose...well, guess what, like everything else in life, it simply isn't that easy. Some people need chemical help, and should not be ashamed of it. For those of you that are anti-drug help, would you give the same hard time to someone who has a Nicotine patch to stop smoking? Likely not. You'd likely encourage them to continue to stay smoke-free. Why not take a pill (if it has minimal side effects) to do the same thing with eating? That pill could be the catalyst to lose 20 pounds and that 20 pounds might give someone the confidence to get someone out of hiding and into a yoga or aerobics class.

Think about everyone, not just yourselves.

August 2, 2010 at 13:52 | Report abuse |
    • bierman

There a lot of kids selling tylenol on the corner of the street these days? You can't get high on this stuff, at best, it'll mean you won't want to drink, smoke or over indulge with lunch or at worst, you'll feel sick and won't eat anything for several hours. Don't think that sounds like the latest and greatest in street drugs when there's amphetamines, oxycontin and ecstasy out there.

August 2, 2010 at 14:17 | Report abuse |
    • C A

To CutTheCarb:

I have to partially disagree with you. Dietary changes is not the answer in of itself for many people who are obese. There's a strong emotional componet to overeating for many people that is not addressed simply with a food plan.

I find it facinating that studies have made the connection between a drug for depression and another drug for addiction that can help obese people lose weight. I've spent most of the last twenty years on some food plan or another following severe weight gain after being afflicted with a couple of chronic illnesses. Turns out, some of it was due to medical side effects, but a large part of it was the depression that accompanied my struggle to try to stay alive day after day. Only after I got into treatment for my emotional issues did the food plan work and the weight come off. One year later, it's almost 60 pounds lost, and I have no reason to think I can't lose the remaining 100, I've talked to others who have been in a similar situation, and they've unanamously agreed with me.

August 2, 2010 at 15:47 | Report abuse |
    • Rose

If you are overweight you are eating too much...if you are eating too much, you're addicted to food, and if you're addicted to food, you are low in dopamine. Buproprion raises your dopamine levels. I went on it for a few months and it immediately killed my appetite (I was a sugar freak). I lost 25 pounds, and a year later it's still off because I've been careful not to increase my appetite – yes, I eat, and even some sugar...but I don't crave it like I used to. I kept wondering why no-one had praised this drug as a weight loss pill as well as a quit-smoking one. Same addiction: sugar, smoking, drinking, etc. = low dopamine. Of course I'm not telling people to go on it, just worked for me that's all.

August 2, 2010 at 20:49 | Report abuse |
    • Shannon

We could maybe start helping the obese by getting rid of high fructose corn syrup (HFCS). A number of studies have linked the rise in obesity to the rise in use of this cheap sweetener–it's everywhere. I have trained my children to read ingredients and to avoid products conatining it. I keep a bottle of Hunt's ketchup in my purse for restaurant use because most establishments use Heinz which I assume is cheaper due to the use of HFCS.

August 2, 2010 at 22:24 | Report abuse |
    • Mary

I know all about this because I used to be a drug addict. Well, I still am but recovering. These pills have no street value. My brain isn't THAT fried yet!

August 3, 2010 at 14:32 | Report abuse |
  5. mike

Funny they didn't mention how naltrexone works. Wheat digestion creates opioid peptides–small proteins that act like opiates like heroine or morphine–from the wheat gluten. It's sorta why cookies are so addictive. These 'exorphins' can cross the blood brain barrier but can be blocked by drugs like Naltexone. So you can take these drugs to cut down on the addictive properties of wheat and perhaps lose weight. OR you could cut out wheat for the same effect.

August 2, 2010 at 09:50 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mary

OMG - did you really just say that wheat is analogous to opium? Clearly you failed high school chemistry. Yikes.

August 2, 2010 at 10:55 | Report abuse |
    • NOVANative

Actually, people who eat to self-sooth get endorphin release from the brain whenever they eat anything, which is one reason naltrexone might help. There is a well-documented emotional and endorphin component to many eating disorders, even in people on gluten-free diets.

August 2, 2010 at 11:02 | Report abuse |
    • Patricia

Sugar is also why cookies are so addictive. Humans evolved to want calorie rich foods because back in the day, thats what would allow you to survive. Nowadays.. food is in excess but we haven't evolved away from wanting those densely caloried foods. Sugar typically means calories, kinda like carbs. Do you crave lettuce? No. Pasta? Yes.

August 2, 2010 at 12:44 | Report abuse |
    • Shut Up Mary

Mary, your comments are consistently rude and ignorant. Shut up please.

August 2, 2010 at 13:16 | Report abuse |
  6. Dr Bill Toth

How about simple ideas like training on how to keep hands away from mouth. How about fitness shows versus "reality" shows. How about news focused on health and fitness, instead of gun deaths publish the daily deaths from heart disease, cancer, drunk driving. How about educational TV versus Entertainment TV.

August 2, 2010 at 09:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tearlag

When it is clear that you are ignorant on a subject, you might want to think twice about posting a comment. Not all people who are overweight/obese are so due to the fact that they can not control themselves (as you have implied by saying that; and I quote "How about simple ideas like training on how to keep hands away from mouth." I am obese, by medical definition and I eat one (yes 1) normal sized meal a day...that's it, that's all. I also suffer from hypothyroidism, which can contribute to my retention of weight. You will notice I said can, not does. I will admit that I am not as active as I should be, but for you to just assume (and I really don't think I need to tell you what happens when you assume) that anyone who is overweight is just out of control and eats what ever can not get away from them is just an assumption based on utter ignorance. Do a little research before you post on something you have obviously no knowledge of and make yourself look stupid.

August 2, 2010 at 11:20 | Report abuse |
    • jv

I didn't know there were degrees in self-rightousness and ignorance. Where did you get the Dr. designation from Dr. Bill Toth was it Degree Mill U or was it that lauded institution Jerk U.

August 2, 2010 at 11:36 | Report abuse |
    • Leah (TXanimal)

@Tearlag: What exactly is the problem with Dr Bill Toth's statement? While medical conditions can CONTRIBUTE to SOME weight gain/retention and SOME cases of obesity, do you really think that MOST overweight people are overweight because of actual medical conditions, or are they overweight due to poor lifestyle choices? PCOS, hypothyroidism, Cushing's, etc can all contribute to SOME weight gain, but weight management is certainly possible (and therapeutic in many cases)...and once the underlying condition is addressed and treated properly, the symptoms will more than likely begin to ease.

I've worked with individuals from all walks of life with a variety of medical conditions (PCOS, hypothyroidism, MS, fybromyalgia, Type I & II diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, etc), injuries, psychological conditions and lifestyles...all it took for these individuals to start losing weight and getting fit was a plan, some education, and dedication to the task at hand. The VAST majority of the overweight clients I've worked with however had NO underlying medical condition to account for weight gain...they were simply victims of their own poor habits. They too were able to lose weight with the right tools and motivation. Was it easy? NO. It all comes down to ownership & accountability...whether the problem is psychological, physiological or simply a result of unhealthy lifestyle choices.

August 2, 2010 at 11:50 | Report abuse |
    • Andrew

I spend more than an hour a day on average on an elliptical on the highest difficulty setting for the fat burner program, as well as doing some weights, pull-ups until I developed golfer's elbow, etc. I can bench press 300 pounds plus. My typical breakfast is a high-fiber cereal with unsweetened almond milk, my coffee is sweetened with Splenda and more of that almond milk, etc. Still, I'm losing weight very slowly.

If a drug combo will get the pounds off, exercise will be easier and my hypertension should be reduced. Some of us have the physiology that needs the extra help. And if the drugs will help us do it, why does it matter we're not using willpower that others have never needed to stay a healthy weight?

August 2, 2010 at 12:18 | Report abuse |
    • gardener

95% of overweight people have been on many diets & exercised and lost weight many times over. However, the weight comes back, no matter how hard they try to eat right and exercise. Do you think that alcoholics should "just say no"? It's the same problem. To thin people, losing weight looks easy. If it's so easy, why do 98% of all diets fail? There's a lot more to it than overeating. Please don't oversimplify when you don't really understand the problem.

August 2, 2010 at 13:40 | Report abuse |
    • Leah (TXanimal)

@Andrew: Your situation has one key characteristic that differentiates yourself from the people for whom the original comment was intended: you have adopted a lifestyle that includes healthy habits. You exercise, you control your diet and you still have trouble. I know that's the big thing I have a problem with when it comes to weight loss drugs: fad diets and weight-loss drugs do nothing to teach or reinforce healthy lifestyle choices. Therefore, when one reaches his/her ideal weight on the drugs, they have no clue how to maintain that weight or they end up malnourished and unhealthy. Relax.

August 2, 2010 at 13:56 | Report abuse |
    • Dee

These tv shows already exist – Dr Oz and countless other "healthy" shows on cable. Training to keep hands from mouth? Wow. If only it were that easy.

i'm surprised with such an ignorant answer from a Doctor. Or maybe it is a Ph.D. and not an M.D.

August 2, 2010 at 14:01 | Report abuse |
    • 1HealthyDiva.com

I spend time on the elliptical daily as well. Since I started taking a natural HGH enhancer, I am experiencing visible results including muscle tone and weight loss.

Andrew, if you're over 30 yrs old, give it a try:

August 2, 2010 at 23:43 | Report abuse |
  7. mike

maybe we should page Dr. Gupta to stop recommending 'healthy' whole grains if they are having an opioid effect on his obese patients. look at Drew Carey. no drugs needed, he just stopped eating carbs that weren't green.

August 2, 2010 at 10:05 | Report abuse | Reply
    • women.

Drew Carey is also a rich celebrity who has access to personal chefs, any type of health food imaginable, personal weightloss equipement, and personal trainers. Also, since he's on TV, there's constant motivation to stay trim. In the realworld, it's a lot harder.

I have used Bupropian for Depression for about a year and I will say it's a god send. I never had any side effects and it stopped my extreme carb cravings caused by my severe depression. Gave me much more energy and motivation to exercise. I lost the 50lbs I gained while depressed and then some. Depending on how the other drug works, perhaps this drug would be great for people who are obese and depressed. (either as a result of the depression or the cause of it)

August 2, 2010 at 11:05 | Report abuse |
    • HI

Mike: Finally someone with an ounce of intelligence. People should realize that this is PRIMARILY an American issue. The FDA is systematically poisoning all of us. They allow our animals to be injected with hormones and dangerous drugs so much so that chickens get enormous breasts so that they cannot stand, cram them into feces-ridden cages, ship them in hot trucks to fast food places that fry them up in dirty grease touched by booger-covered hands. You injest this every time you eat fast food, not to mention OTHER nasty 'seasonings'.

On the bread subject, we do NOT need to eat bread. Nor eggs, nor milk. Those are both lies told to use by again, the FDA and their corrupt food pyramid. It is from the DAIRY COUNCIL OBVIOUSLY that says you NEED their pus-filled cow's milk. Also Americans injest waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much wheat. Please research these things people: 'Monsanto', 'Corrupt FDA', Chicken Farms. You will want to never touch that crap again. You will ALSO feel ten times better AND lose weight.

STOP BEING BRAINWASHED!

August 2, 2010 at 13:23 | Report abuse |
  8. Leah (TXanimal)

Great, drugs can help...but when and where are these people going to learn to live a healthy lifestyle? That's the problem with fad diets and weight loss drugs...they can help you lose weight, but they don't reinforce healthy habits.

August 2, 2010 at 10:37 | Report abuse | Reply
    • STUFF

This is why you NEVER see commercials about eating right and exersizing. About reading labels and small ways to increase activity. The LIES about high fructose corn syrup are suppressed. Thanks to the internet, we are able to make informed decisions. What are some people supposed to do when they have been LIED to for decades? Ultimately, always always always eat fruits and vegetables and anything else that grows out of our loving Earth. Anything packaged is bad for you. Pick and choose of course but makes those TREATS not mainstays in your diet.

August 2, 2010 at 13:26 | Report abuse |
    • Leah (TXanimal)

@STUFF: Agreed. Much easier to pop a pill later than to educate yourself now.

August 2, 2010 at 13:51 | Report abuse |
  9. Meowoui

Those two drugs do not help you lose weight. I know someone who was on both for a very long time and they did not have
    a weight loss effect on him. I agree with Dr. Toth, you can also lose weight by cutting back on portion size and also cut way back on sugar sugar makes fat. Walking 30 mins. a day will help too, not a slow pace but a brisk pace, It worked for me.

August 2, 2010 at 10:43 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mary

Until our society stops looking for (literally!) "the magic pill" and realizes the only way to lose weight and be healthy is to eat less and exercise more, this craziness will continue. The fact is, many people do lose weight on these medications - that does not make them weight loss drugs. Quite a few of the psychotropic meds decrease appetite (though many more increase it), but is this the answer? Where will it end?

August 2, 2010 at 10:57 | Report abuse |
    • women.

It depends. Some people even gain weight on Bupropion. But most, especially the very overweight, lose weight on Bupropion.

August 2, 2010 at 11:08 | Report abuse |
    • jv

While it doen't apply to most, the reality is that there is a threshold. If you go low enough on calorie intake your body will go in starvation mode and when that happens it will eat your muscles first and conserve fat. So it is necesary to cut portion and increase activity but the above is why one should contact a physician about what they are planning.

August 2, 2010 at 11:43 | Report abuse |
    • Dee

@Meowoui – I lost weight on Wellbutrin and so did others on this board. You cannot say, having no experience and citing only 1 examply, that Wellbutrin does not work for weight loss. You might want to ask more people (more than 1) before trying to sound like an expert.

August 2, 2010 at 14:03 | Report abuse |
  10. d

Um, the pill is taken with Exercise and exercise. Well that right there is the weight loss. Also, I'm 5'8" with a 34 waist and 206 and I'm obese. I am very fit and little belly but come on, wets get serious, this is just a money maker. You want a diet pill, they should force the FDA to only approve drugs in this category when they work without diet or exercise. If not then it's all in your head. Lets stop the scamming of america for profit taking from people who are looking for help.

August 2, 2010 at 10:58 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Notmyrealname

How do you know what causes the weight loss? If a person had difficulty losing weight with diet and exercise and is able to lose some with this medication, how do you explain that?

Honestly, you paranoid nuts with your fixation on "big pharma" are just silly.

August 3, 2010 at 11:22 | Report abuse |
    • A

Notmyrealname: You sound like an ignorant jerkoff who has never been sick before or does not suffer with chronic illness. I cannot wait until you get some horrible disease and are at the mercy of BIG PHARMA and see how it really feels. Until that time, shut up.

August 3, 2010 at 14:21 | Report abuse |
    • Notmyrealname

Honey, you'd better hope that Big Pharma comes up with a cure for your abject stupidity and ignorance.

August 3, 2010 at 18:00 | Report abuse |
    • Steph from LA

Haaaaa Notmyrealname! You got your A** handed to you!

August 3, 2010 at 18:23 | Report abuse |
  11. Bravo1

Eat healthy, smaller portions and exercise. That's it, no pill needed.

August 2, 2010 at 11:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Platofish

Sigh! This is the 'Holy Grail' for pharmaceutical companies – a drug people have to take for years, or even the rest of their lives. Clearly, dropping body mass index from 30+ to less than 20 doesn't happen in 10 days! At a healthy weight loss rate of one or two pounds a week this might take a year or two. And then what? The person that took the pills will probably still be dependent on drugs to suppress their appetite. So they will have to keep taking them.

Remember amphetamines used to be prescribed for weight loss. This drug will ultimately turn out to be equally as bad and idea.

August 2, 2010 at 11:05 | Report abuse | Reply
    • women.

yeah except that amphetamines lose their effectiveness over time and can cause serious heart problems. These two drugs have been used for decades and no such evidence exists that they commonly lose their effectiveness over time or cause serious side effects in 99.5% of the people who take it.

August 2, 2010 at 11:10 | Report abuse |
    • STUFF

These drug companies are glorified street drug dealers sanctioned by the government. They don't care if you have to take 20 pills for the rest of your life.

Do not be fooled that they carefully engineered this drug for you to be on it for life. They do not want people to die instantly but slowly so they can squeeze the most money out of you will blinding you to NOT being treated. I can guarantee you that there are cures for cancers, acne, aids, and many other illnesses but that will make drug companies and their partners lose BILLIONS. Only those without blinders recognize this FACT.

August 2, 2010 at 14:01 | Report abuse |
    • Notmyrealname

Good screen name "Stuff". What you post is nonsense and you do so under about 8 different monikers. Step away from the computer and do something constructive. You are clueless.

August 3, 2010 at 11:24 | Report abuse |
    • A

Notmyrealname: What STUFF is saying is absolutely true. You are obviously to stupid and ignorant to realize that. Why don't you go back to whoring yourself.

August 3, 2010 at 14:23 | Report abuse |
    • Notmyrealname

Ahahhahaha! Yeah, sure thing. I'm going to heed a moron who doesn't know the difference between "to" and "too".

August 3, 2010 at 17:58 | Report abuse |
  13. Greg

If you walking into a doctor and you are told you have cancer, you will probably follow a protocol that might give you 50% chance to outlive the cancer. Therefore doctors can't cure cancer. So lets give them another purpose. To hand out lifestyle pills for all the ails us! We have become a pathetic society of bombs, banks and bailouts. All because we have this corporate mindset of our great individual purpose. Only God knows how we got this place in history.

August 2, 2010 at 11:06 | Report abuse | Reply
    • CANCER IS A BIG MONEY MAKER

Thats right Greg. They want to keep cancer people alive just enough to get as much money out of them as possible. Cancer centers make BILLIONS of dollars to sell your life and dignity. Cancer is 100% preventable. We did this to ourselves by poisoning our water, food, and air supply.

August 2, 2010 at 14:04 | Report abuse |
    • Notmyrealname

Cancer is: you're a troll who isn't even creative enough to disguise his own identity You write using the same phrases and post under different names. Doesn't matter. You're a tool, no matter what you call yourself.

August 3, 2010 at 11:26 | Report abuse |
    • Greg

Not: what are you talking about? You sound like a paranoid freak.

August 3, 2010 at 14:24 | Report abuse |
    • TuneIn

Not sounds like a "paranoid freak"? You're the nimrod who's claiming conspiracy theory, muttonhead.

August 3, 2010 at 15:37 | Report abuse |
  14. Jennifer

You know what? I'm SOOO sick of the excuses. 3 1/2 years ago I lost 75 pounds. I weighed 210 pounds. After having kids, I let myself go – I let myself be fat for 8 or 9 years. I got tired of it and decided to do something about it. Guess how I did it? I exercised – 6 days a week and started eating the right foods and NORMAL portions. No magic pills, no magic creams, no magic machines. Good old fashioned hard work and will power and it took me 9 months to get it all off. Yeah, I still eat chocolate – sometimes – and other unhealthly food – sometimes – but I do it infrequently and in MUCH smaller quantities. It irritates the heck out of me when someone tells me "yeah well, I would but I can't because....you just don't understand." Yes, I do – I was there. It's not easy. You have to work for it. If you aren't willing to work for it – you aren't going to get it. It's that simple.

August 2, 2010 at 11:33 | Report abuse | Reply
    • jv

Intolerant much, how many other things do you tell people it's their fault for the lame, the elderly, the dying. I mean really who don't you hate.

August 2, 2010 at 11:46 | Report abuse |
    • alpha1charli

Absolutely!!! I totally agree with you 100%!! I worked my tail off for 6 weeks and the weight loss was minimal, but once I really cracked down on my issues with food (a.k.a food addict) I lost more, and felt better. It is not easy. It was emotional and sometimes painful. Some individuals do indeed have legitimate medical reasons for weight gain, such as those on high doses of prednisone, but for the majority, their primary illness is laziness or lack of motivation. It is about gaining control of your body, what you eat and exercising. Very well said!!

August 2, 2010 at 11:50 | Report abuse |
    • Cathy

It really isn't "that simple" - I've struggled with weight a good part of my adult life - first after having children - and then following surgical hysterectomy. The first year following that surgery I gained 100 pounds - no matter what I did - walking, dieting, exercise - nothing kept that weight off. Yup I got depressed about it because it seemed futile, which only made things worse. Years of my internist saying "you know you'd feel better if you'd just lose weight" - well duh!! Finally, a friend recommended and endocrinologist to me who did the whole workup thing on me - and the result was insulin resistance - essentially I was producing 3 times the normal amount of insulin and he essentially told me no matter what I did, I wasn't going to lose that weight without medical help. So Jennifer - it isn't always "that easy".

August 2, 2010 at 11:55 | Report abuse |
    • Sharon

Yes, insulin resistence is one of the reasons that people put on pounds-but what that means is that it is VERY difficult to loose weight-NOT that you'll automatically gain weight. I also have the same condition, and you follow the same healthy recommendations of a diabetic diet, low carbs, no processed sugars. Weight lose is slow and a healthy diet needs to be followed, I'm living that truth right now.
      Do not try to blame the condition for gaining 100lbs in a year, food had to be consumed for those pounds to appear, they don't just happen.

August 2, 2010 at 13:32 | Report abuse |
    • Tuneln

If I want to overeat, that is MY prerogative. I have tried weight loss pills in the past and they don't work for me. I have no will power anyways and I don't care. What do I have to live for? I have no kids and no partner, live in a tiny apartment and make minimum wage. Food is my only happiness. 😦

August 3, 2010 at 18:18 | Report abuse |
  15. Otto Parts

Losing weight is simply related to caloric intake. You can easily figure out how much you need to eat to maintain your weight, and then reduce that by 500 calories a day to lose about 1lb a week or so. Throw exercise into the mix and you will lose a bit more. After a month or two, you will plateau and will need to readjust based on your new weight. It is boring I know, but it is incredibly simple to do. Take out the guesswork and start paying attn. to calories and the weight will reduce drastically. Also muscle burns fat, so throw some high intensity interval training and weight training in there and you will turn into a fat burning machine. This is tested and proven time and again.

Taking a pill is not only the easy way out- it doesn't teach you how to control your behavior, it just suppresses it..and when you get off the pill you will go right back to overeating again. Paying attention to the actual numbers puts you more in tune with your tendencies, and forces you to become more aware of the connection between food and weight.

August 2, 2010 at 11:49 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dee

Otto – losing weight is also affected by one's metabolism. It's not just how many calories in/out. How do you think 2 people can eat the same thing and exercise the same amount and still be different weights? I have male friends that eat like *pigs* that have only put on 15 pounds over 20 years – literally. For them, i.e. Dinner = big salad, whole pizza, fries & dessert. If I ate like they did I would be 400 pounds ...not kidding.

METABOLISM affects weight. How you burn calories in your body affects how many calories your body hangs on to! Every body is different!!!!!

Duh.

August 2, 2010 at 13:59 | Report abuse |
    • DUH

Not taking away any personal responsibility but do NOT FORGET that they inject hormones into cows, chickens, and pigs to make them HUGE to sell more and we eat those hormones and all the other poisonous drugs. They also put drugs in breads and all snacks. Also, many medications screw up your body so that you hold onto fat. But yes, MANY of Americans are fat because of lack of exersize and poor eating habits. I eat very healthy and exersize but I still have some weight because of a medication. Do not be fooled that it is all done on purpose by the FDA and Big Pharma. They are all in bed with each other.

August 2, 2010 at 14:08 | Report abuse |
    • TuneIn

DUH: When you learn to spell "exercise", I might be able to read your posts without laughing.

August 3, 2010 at 13:57 | Report abuse |
    • Grady

Tunel: Why are you so angry? Reading your posts you sound very bitter with life. Only you can allow yourself to get angry and it shows great immaturity on your part. I wish you well and hope you can find peace today. 🙂

August 3, 2010 at 18:20 | Report abuse |
  16. Jason

I started using a combination as well–diet and exercise. Worked wonders. I've done the dieting alone, and it never really made a difference until I started working out at least 3 times a week. Could be something as simple as going up and down a stairwell on my lunchbreak. That led to 45 lbs since last March. The working out makes me think twice every time I reach for a snack.

Recently, however, I started taking Concerta for my ADD. As an interesting side effect, while the drug is in effect (it works for 12 hours only, you need it to wear off so you can sleep and your CNS to rest), I have no desire to eat. Not just on the appetite scale, even my eating that's more a stress-reflex has stopped. The thought of it isn't even palletable. Since it's such a controlled substance, though, with addictive tendancies, probably wouldn't be a great weight-loss option. I miss days with it on occasion, and don't feel a need for it or anything like that, but I wonder in general if it satiates a section of the brain that wants to occupy an addition.

August 2, 2010 at 11:50 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tuneln

Your story is very encouraging but I just don't think I can do it. I have been overweight and sedentary all my life. I just love fast food. Its depressing because I go out to clubs and not a single guy will talk to me ! I even try to dress sexy but apparently it does not work. I weigh 350lbs. I have Type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and sores on my feet but I feel sexy so I don't care how I look. Fat people have rights too!

August 3, 2010 at 14:27 | Report abuse |
  17. Nicole

Isn't it amazing that the drugs that are promising are drugs prescribed for addiction? Diet and exercise works for most people however there is that group that needs to deal with the food addiction part of it.

August 2, 2010 at 11:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. 80 lbs.

I don't know about this new pill, but I'm living proof that bupropion, at least, helps with weight loss. I've lost 80 lbs. over the course of 2 years. I went to the doctor because I had gotten so fat and was so unhappy about it that it consumed me (no pun intended). Every morning I swore I was going to start that diet, but I'd pig out again, so every night I'd swear the next day would be the day. I knew what I was doing and I knew it would just make things worse (the scale confirmed that), but I felt hopeless. I thought about what food I was going to eat that day, ate in secret, even hid food. I'd eat before going to family event so I would feel like I'd eaten enough and not look like a porker at the dinner table with all my skinny sisters watching. I avoided social events like the plague because I didn't want people to see me so fat. Those are classic signs of an eating disorder called binge eating disorder. Everyone hears about bulemia and anorexia, but not BED. Google it. I did three years ago, and I fit the description to a T. I went to a doctor who didn't think I was just a crazy fat lady, but wisely put me on Wellbutrin. Within 3 weeks I realized that I had stopped thinking about food. Within a month I'd lost nearly 10 lbs. It was slow, but over time, I shed 80 lbs. and have kept it off. I will not go back to fat. I believe there are a lot of people out there who suffer from this same debilitating disorder. I hope this new pill will do for others what bupropion did for me.

August 2, 2010 at 11:53 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Cathy

Thank you for your post - I can relate to your situation as I have similar situation. Insulin resistance - I produce 3 times the normal amount of insulin - and my body just packs on the pounds - when someone says "if you'd just exercise and cut down on what you eat" I just want to scream!!! It's not that simple for a lot of us. I did a bit of reading about insulin resistance and found that many of the issues described were issues I'd been dealing with for years but that my internist had never explored. It got to the point I avoided going in for check ups because her standard response to everything was "you'd feel better if you'd just lose weight" but she never took the time to explore whether or not there might be an underlying cause. It took a friend recommending me to an endocrinologist - he diagnosed the situation – started me on Wellbutrin and before I knew it - the weight was beginning to come off. So think about it the next time you look at an obese person and think "if they'd only exercise and cut back on food they'd lose weight" - it's not necessarily THAT SIMPLE.

August 2, 2010 at 12:02 | Report abuse |
    • Otto Parts

But Cathy,

Isn't the appetite suppressant in Wellbutrin the reason for the weight loss?

August 2, 2010 at 12:38 | Report abuse |
    • Cathy

Yes - I'm sure it is and I didn't mean to imply it wasn't - it was just one of a combination of medications that aided in my weightloss. The point I was trying to make was it isn't always as simple as diet and exercise.

August 2, 2010 at 12:52 | Report abuse |
  19. Jerry

Good luck getting unhooked from bupropion. You'll need about 6 weeks of slow tapering off to keep you from eating your young.

August 2, 2010 at 12:01 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sean

Jerry- I took the max dose of bupropion for a little over 3 years after a tramatic experience in my life. Didn't have any trouble at all getting off the drug. Maybe you did, but that doesn't mean everbody else will.

August 2, 2010 at 12:20 | Report abuse |
  20. lol@fatty

"Excessive intake of all carbohydrates, especially the high-glycemic type, is the primary culprit in the development of insulin resistance. "

Can we hear any more excuses from the fat lazy folk today?

August 2, 2010 at 12:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Terri

For all you small brainers that don't understand brain chemistry and its impact on eating disorders and obesity, please read a very basic book by Dr. Oz called 'You On a Diet' that explains the effects of neurotransmitters such as norepinephrine and serotonin in particular. I've struggled with obesity my entire life know that of course diet and exercise are a must but you need to take brain chemistry into consideration. Everyone's brain chemistry can vary so stop being self rightous if you're fortunate enough to be thin in this skinny obsessed culture. Oh, to only have been born in Reubens time – back then I'd be considered a beauty with my extra padding. I am working with a bariatric surgeon and his staff to get my health restored and have read many books on compulsive eating disorders and personally can confirm the use of drugs such as these help offest the chemical imbalances that contribute to bad eating habits. They are the same neurotransmitters that are involved in other types of addictions such as gambling, compulsive shopping, OCD, etc. Don't judge if you haven't walked a mile in my fat shoes or studied the medical literature. I'm looking forward to FDA approval of this drug combo.

August 2, 2010 at 12:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. JB

Losing weight isn't always that easy. I have congenital heart failure and I have a pace maker in my chest. I'm only in my 30's and since being diagnosed with this problem I've gained. It's not easy to get off because if I try to do too much my heart stops or acts up and the pace maker is used to get it working right again. I've been in the hospital so much for this that the doctor don't even allow me to try to lose the weight by exercising anymore. I can take short walks, which I do, as long as the humidity isn't too high that day or too cold out. Also when you are on disability you don't get much a month. Healthy food costs more. When your on a limited income you can't afford to eat as healthy as you may want to. Also not everyone is overweight because they eat too much.

August 2, 2010 at 12:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Wet Wolf

Drugs should be the absolute last resort to fat loss (not weight loss) but rather healthy smart nutrition & resistance exercise should be the corner stone to fat loss.

August 2, 2010 at 13:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Losing it slowly

I've made a little hobby lately out of reading the comments arising out from weight loss stories, and I never fail to be amazed by the self-righteous attitudes and simplistic "solutions" helpfully offered by the anonymous multitudes.....many of them I imagine coming from people who are thin through no effort or discipline of their own but just lucky (for NOW - wait till you hit middle age and your once-peppy metabolism slows down) and also some self-loathing overweight people. I am overweight - actually, obese. I am losing weight slowly in my own way and I find that it's a very interesting process. I struggle with my own dislike of overweight people who eat bad food and wonder why they don't lose and also for regular sized people who equate not being fat with being healthy. On the one hand I'm happy with myself for having lost nearly 40 pounds, but I still look at myself at certain angles and think, "ick!" I've internalized a lot of self-hate over the years for my weight, and I can tell all of you regular sized people that self-hate does not help you stop eating. It doesn't "motivate" you to "get up off the sofa" or "stop stuffing your face" or any of the other incredibly thoughtful and original suggestions posted here. It contributes to the self hate until you think, why bother? Why not just eat what I want? For me it finally came down to health. I was tired of feeling tired. Having said that, I think a lot of non-overweight people would be unpleasantly surprised at their cholesterol counts or their blood pressure or the amount of plaque in their arteries, and amazed that not every fat person you see is at death's door, "costing you" an arm and a leg on your health insurance. I rarely go to the doctor, in part out of fear and in part because of the way I've been treated (even by the dentist, if you can believe that!). I just think it's really complicated, and people don't like complicated, especially lately. They like things they can post anonymously on blogs or yell out car windows or put on bumper stickers. Times are scary and it's nice having someone to point to as the problem, and with us fat people, our problems are out there for all to see. My brother is an attractive, high functioning alcoholic. He lives in a nice house with a beautiful family. Only those close to him know about his problems, but people look at me and think they know everything about me by looking at the size of my ass. Not everything is as simple as we think. The truth is complicated, and for many of us, so are the reasons why we are overweight.

August 2, 2010 at 13:06 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Cathy

Very well put -- you made me smile reading your post -- but every word you wrote is true. Congrats on your successes and may they continue!

August 2, 2010 at 13:09 | Report abuse |
    • Terri

Bravo! Everyone is dysfunctional is some way – sometimes it shows, sometimes it doesn't.

August 2, 2010 at 13:20 | Report abuse |
    • FatGrrlInCali

Thank you, Losing it slowly, for putting most of my thoughts into words. This is a complex subject and there is no, "one size fits all" answer.

Not all fat people are sick. Not all thin people are healthy. Fat is not the sole determiner of a person's health.

Few thing irk me more when I hear someone connect weight loss with good health. How about we switch that to knowing our bodies, eating healthfully and moving said bodies in ways that make us feel good in order to achieve optimal health, not a number on a scale or chart? We are all meant to be different and that includes myriad body sizes and shapes.

Live life joyfully and fully, forget the number on the scale, and be well.

I'm working on that myself right now. I'm fat and training for the AIDS ride next year. Will I lose weight? Maybe. Maybe not. I'm not concerned about that. I'm concerned with making my legs stronger and increasing my lung capacity. I'm concerned with keeping my blood pressure, cholesterol and blood glucose on target. Those are numbers I think about and work toward optimal balance.

And you know, as an aside, there is something I have see and experienced that I find quite sad. Whenever I see another fat person at the gym, or on their bike, or out walking and I hear and see the comments, the harassment and the blatant hate that comes from other people, I gotta wonder at that motivation of the person throwing the metaphoric stones. Why hate on the fat person who is out there, on the bike or the treadmill? It makes no sense to me.

Because of this, I was once afraid to step foot inside a gym for fear of ridicule and outright hatred. Now I'll get in the face of anyone who comes at me with that attitude. Grrr...

Point is, people are people and come in a vast array of shapes and sizes. All are deserving of basic dignity and human rights. We all deserve the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, whatever form that takes within the bounds of our laws.

August 2, 2010 at 15:10 | Report abuse |
  25. Nifty

I took bupropion (Wellbutrin) for depression, and there were some notable "negative" side effects: 1) a hand tremor; 2) a racing heart, with pulses over 100; and 3) an arrhythmia. Also, if I took my afternoon dose too late in the day, I was not able to sleep at all. I was too jazzed...a bit "strung out," as if I had drunk a huge quantity of caffeine.

I didn't have any problem stopping buproprion - although that could be because my pyschiatrist replaced it with a Celexa & Concerta cocktail instead...which I also didn't have any problem stopping when it was time to do so - but the hand-tremor and racing heart and arrhythmia lasted for several months after I ceased the drug.

I'll also add that I didn't lose any weight while I was taking buproprion. I continued to gain weight - which was standard for me during my depression. Whatever "appetite-suppressant" qualities the drug had were lost on me. Additionally, I was told that buproprion is not recommended for any who have a history of bulimia or anorexia, as the drug can trigger seizures in these individuals.

My point in writing the above is not to say that this new diet drug won't work, but only that, as with all drugs, it probably won't work the same for all people.

August 2, 2010 at 13:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. stephanie

Take bupropion now and it only has a very slight help with weight loss, but the idea of taking that impacts cravings sounds like a good one since that it the reason I am obese not hunger

August 2, 2010 at 13:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Dee

When I was on Wellbutrin I literally forgot to eat. I could go 8 hours and have to remind myself to eat dinner. I lost a few pounds but the most profound effect for me was that once on the pill I just stopped thinking about food – I did not try to stop thinking about it, it just happened. Now, for all you people who say they pill isnt worth it how do you think I stopped thinking about food all of a sudden? I didnt will myself to do it.

THE PILL AFFECTS YOUR BRAIN. YOUR BRAIN DIRECTLY AFFECTS YOUR APPETITE (Google it if you don't believe me).

Science is starting to catch up with the wonders of the human brain. Let's keep exploring and celebrate this and hope one day we figure out how it all works *inside* our body so the tempations outside of it become meaningless.

August 2, 2010 at 14:06 | Report abuse | Reply
    • DUH

'Your brain affects your appetite'. REALLY? I thought it was my big toe !

August 2, 2010 at 14:13 | Report abuse |
    • Notmyrealname

Duh, in your case, it must be your big toe. You don't have a brain.

August 3, 2010 at 11:29 | Report abuse |
  28. DaesReign

What happened to eating vegetables and exercising!!!??? Seriously!!!

August 2, 2010 at 14:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Not the answer

Naltrexone blocks narcotic receptors and is a LONG acting drug.

What are you going to do if you get acute appendicitis? Acute cholecystitis (gall bladder attack)? In a traumatic accident? Need emergency surgery? Now your narcotic receptors are blocked and opiate pain medications do not work (well). This is a significant issue that is not mentioned.

These drugs work (Naltrexone works well for decreasing craving overall) but this is not a magic bullet. We need to keep looking further for solutions. Being on Naltrexone longterm isn't something I would want to risk.

August 2, 2010 at 14:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Scott

The pill makers do not givE a crap about the public... only money. When a European fillmmaker showed how to reverse diabetes and weight problems without medications the drug companies did not promote the story.

Just google SPIRIT HAPPY DIET

August 2, 2010 at 15:19 | Report abuse | Reply
    • nonovyerbeezwax

Uh-huh. And the owners of the website you're hawking give out their diet secrets free of charge, right? Right?

Sure they do.

Knock off the hysterical braying.

August 4, 2010 at 08:10 | Report abuse |
  31. JJ

Let me start by saying, I have no contempt for obese people. I used to be one. Losing weight was the hardest thing I have ever done. These pills may just work- as mentioned in a post above, sometimes all it takes is the first 10 lbs to come off to really get an obese person motivated. And I definitely believe in the food-brain connection. Lucky for me, I can now identify when I am reaching for the fridge door because I'm stressed and stop myself (most of the time), but for others food can be a real addiction. The American way of life does not help in any way. We work long hours, mostly tied to a desk, are seeing healthcare costs skyrocket, worry about money, spend too much time commuting in mostly exercise unfriendly towns and have access to the one cheap thing that makes us all feel beter- FOOD. Thin people binge on chocolate and ice cream. I know they do. Maybe not all of them, but some do. Why is it not "disgusting" for a thin person to eat like that – just because it doesn't make them fat? I know thin people who can and do eat candy and sodas and not excercise at all and stay thin- they have some great genes. I know thin people, as well, who live on protein shakes, water and vegetables, are gym "junkies" and never let themselves enjoy food for the fear, literally fear, of becoming "fat." That's pretty sicko, too, but they are lauded and fat folks are reviled. I was never a "normal" weight ever, even as a baby, according to height/weight charts. My friends could eat Fritos and juice "drinks" as kids and I was on my first diet by the time I was 7 at the urging of the school nurse and my mother who did nothing but criticize. Looking back, if I had known how much fun it truly is to do excercise that you enjoy, I'm sure that I would have grown taller and grown into the weight that I was at 7 years old. Instead, I got the message loud and clear that "you are not like the other kids who can eat junk food. You are different, your body is fat and abnormal." I became ashamed of myself and hid and became an indoors couch potato because I didn't want other people to see me. I began to use food to soothe myself. My mother forced me to go to WW meetings (before the kid-only ones were around) and there I would see teachers from school, friends' parents, etc and I was humiliated. Go home, sneak eat some more. Bad cycle. One summer day, my mother said "my God, you look like you're pregnant your gut is so fat, suck it in!" Excercise was punishment. If she "caught" me eating when I wasn't supposed to be eating, I was forced to get on the stationary bike for an hour and then sent to bed with no dinner. And yet, I grew up to be a beautiful person on the inside once I got out of that house. I soared. I was still fat, but I soared in college, I won scholarships, awards, joined a sorority and had plenty of friends. One summer vacation, I had no car and had to walk 4 miles each way to work- the weight began l literally melting off of me. And I discovered that I really enjoyed walking outdoors. And so began my journey to good exercise and good health. I'm still a size 14 (not a 20 Woman size), but I feel great. And I know that inside, I am good and I was good when I was morbidly obese, too. My life is pleasing to God and that's what matters. Now, don't hate on the big folks.

August 2, 2010 at 15:59 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Losing it slowly

Your story could have been mine (except about the fat melting off years ago part). I too struggled with weight when I was a teenager and to hear my mother tell it, I was practically the fattest person who ever lived. Looking back on it now I see how ridiculous that was, and that the 20 or so pounds I had to do lose was not the worst thing in the world. In fact, if I had been left alone or guided in a loving way I might never have developed the genuine weight problem I have now. Years later I saw my niece starting to get a little chubby and my sister in law was concerned. I told her to be careful how she approached it, be sure not to stigmatize her and just try to address it in a general way by exercising together as a family (walks, swimming) and eating a bit differently. She did, and my niece has thinned out considerably (though I see she will probably have to be careful as she gets older - she didn't win the metabolism sweepstakes like her brother) without the yo-yo diets and emotional upheaval I went through. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Being fat has been incredibly painful in a lot of ways, but I like to hope that it hasn't been a complete waste - I've learned a lot about myself along the way, and other people too, though I can't say that I've always liked what I've found.

August 2, 2010 at 16:49 | Report abuse |
    • JJ

Losing It, I wish you well, I really do. It is hard and people who hate on you for being heavy don't help. They suck. Get healthy for yourself. Yes, I did have a "turning point" moment. I wanted kids. I was 220 lbs with high cholesterol and high blood pressure. When I told me doc that I was thinking of starting a family, he kindly but firmly told me about all the complications that obese people have getting pregnant, staying pregnant and affecting their health and health of the baby. Simply, I wanted a baby more than I wanted the food. But, I also had support from a great husband who agreed to eat the same foods as me and awesome co-workers who never tempted me, but cheered me on. No, a pill is not "magic," but back then, I'd have tried anything. For me the "magic" was wanting something more than food, counting calories, an awesome support network and exercise that I actually enjoyed. But, everyone is different. I feel for people who feel like they are stuck being obese and I am nothing but kind to them. Compassion rather than bashing would help a whole lot. Just like your brother, everyone has their "issues." I like the comment above about "getting in the face" of skinny gym rats who think you're just a waste of space or snicker at heavy people trying to work out. What is wrong with those people anyway, right? Does it make you feel good to snicker at someone who is facing their issues and trying to work out and get healthy? I don't know if the FDA and pharma companies are in bed together or whatever, and I am certain that making money is a big part of the equation, but I'd like to think that a researcher someplace who has a heart for obese people is genuinly interested in helping them in a safe and effective way. The pharmas make money from cancer drugs, too, and I would hate to think it's all about the buck. Maybe I'm naive, but I hope this drug helps people who have a food addiction.

August 2, 2010 at 22:18 | Report abuse |
  32. dave

What most people here seem to not be able to grasp is that telling someone with an eating disorder to just eat less is like trying to tell an alcoholic to simply drink less. We are talking about a food ADDICTION, and these drugs are supposed to help with that addiction. So many people are saying "just eat less". That's what this is supposed to do: help you eat less. I just don't understand how ANYBODY could have issues with that. It's like belittling alcoholics for going to rehab instead of just going cold turkey. Nobody is pretending this is a magic pill. Nobody is saying this just makes fat vanish into thin air. Eating can be just emotional for an overweight person as it can be functional. This takes some of that away, and that's a good thing.

August 2, 2010 at 16:41 | Report abuse | Reply
    • C A

Well said! What I've found in my own battle with a food addiction is that there are still many, many ignorant people out there that sneer at the thought that addiction (of any sort) is real. I'm still amazed at the number of people I run into who call alcoholics or drug addicts "lazy," or "weak-willed," just because they have no understanding of the nature of addiction. It's a disease, same as cancer, or diabetes or AIDS fit the definition of "disease." The average person (and below-average person, if some of the comments on this article are considered) sometimes can't understand something they don't experience. I guess that makes it easier for them to ridicule or dismiss it as real.

August 2, 2010 at 18:38 | Report abuse |
  33. G

Regarding portion control: Unfortunately, I have a huge appetite and rarely get full. I normally eat about twice what my friends, family and co-workers do, and even then I'm still hungry. I'd love to have stomach reduction surgery, but am not healthy enough for it.

I've tried appetite suppressants, with little luck. I've been on buproprion for several years for depression, but it hasn't tamed my appetite (or if it has, I hate to think how hungry I'd be without it).

It's easy to make moral judgments - I used to do it all the time. But then I experienced some of the things I had dissed, and learned a valuable lesson. Some people need more help than they can give themselves.

August 2, 2010 at 16:41 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Notmyrealname

Fat people like you make me sick! Just put the fork down!! That is all it takes. I have no sympathy for you.

August 3, 2010 at 14:29 | Report abuse |
  34. Mike

The information on obesity is often skewed to protect the refined carbohydrate empires, and put the blame on fat. The fat we eat, we cannot absorb well, and it is broken down to form energy, and what cannot be, just leaves the digestive tract. It is the fat we make in the body, from excess carbohydrates, that will cause fat to accumulate under the skin, and in the arteries. Another thing, many people do not see the blood type diet as a good thing to know about. They recommend fruit, as if all are equally good for all, and that is not true. They sell peanuts, with no warning for people with blood type O, and chicek, with no warning to those of blood type B. Those foods not only make them heavy, but ill as well.

August 2, 2010 at 16:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Klean9

Calories is calories. You can lose weight eating Dove bars if you have one a day and nothing else (you'll be malnoursihed, too but that's another problem). The blood type stuff is all hogwash!!!

August 2, 2010 at 17:17 | Report abuse |
    • C A

To Klean9:
      You know, there's this thing called the "internet" and it offers you this other thing called "an education," should you be inclined to think it's important.
      Blood type can have something to do with how people process food, and how foods can affect them. Also racial or ethnic heritage can contribute to how the body processes food, especially now that we live in an international community (or to put it in smaller words: if one group of people never had access to certain foods for, oh, their evolutionary history, then the boats and planes can now get it to them easily–well, do you see how it could be a problem for them ? Native Americans+alcohol, Asians+dairy= historically problematic)

August 2, 2010 at 18:46 | Report abuse |
    • Leah (TXanimal)

The main reason the blood type diet works is because it forces the individual to make cleaner food choices and limit portion sizes...which is the foundation of any healthy eating program. There are simply too many other factors to consider outside of blood type when it comes to losing/maintaining bodyfat. I'm type B, but my blood type is extremely rare for people of my heritage...but the stocky muscle-prone stature is not. I am extremely sensitive to carbs and fat, so the recommendations blood type diet plans make simply wouldn't work for me (not to mention the only proteins I'm "allowed" are impossible to find where I live). The diets don't consider activity level, existing health conditions or other lifestyle attributes...all of which contribute to one's decision when choosing a healthy-eating plan.

I'm not saying blood type has NOTHING to do with how one's body processes nutrients, nor am I saying that this COULDN'T work for someone who'd tried everything else...but most medical professionals agree that the "science" upon which these types of diets are built is shaky at best. Plus, most individuals who use these types of diets that require one to eliminate all of one food type or another (dairy in particular), aren't going to know enough to seek alternate sources of nutrients they got from those foods before. Personally, as someone who's been in the fitness industry for years, I wouldn't recommend this type of diet unless there was a specific medical condition in play.

August 3, 2010 at 10:58 | Report abuse |
  35. julie

Buproprion works well for weight loss. And other stuff. (Sometimes I think that women who have annoying side effects from the birth control pill should be on it. I don't have as many 'cravings' around that time of the month, and my sex drive is back up to normal.) As for the weight loss itself, when I'm on buproprion, I feel more motivated. The obese defeatist attitude is gone. I've lost 60 pounds, but it was because of the 'you can do it' feeling the drug gives me. I still had to change my diet and exercise.

August 2, 2010 at 17:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Klean9

Always have breakfast + always have lunch + have a smaller dinner + nothing after dinner + old fashioned 9 inch dinner plate + no fast food- + not a lot of alcohol + no fudging the above + walk = weight loss....duh

August 2, 2010 at 17:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. julie (same one from above at 17:12)

I posted my comment before reading all of the others before it, and I can honestly say I'm disgusted with many of the comments from the peanut gallery (aka, those who have had no problem whatsoever with their weight and who feel the need to criticize those who do).

Do you have any idea how it feels to know that you're 100+ pounds overweight–obese–and know that you have to LOSE A FULL PERSON off of you before you can be 'normal'? It sucks. It makes it almost impossible to get started. I understand that some people can get the motivation themselves, or they have a doctor tell them they're on the verge of diabetes or a heart attack, or have some other 'turning point'. Other people don't have that. Sometimes even when they do, it's still hard to get up off your butt and do something. After all, you have a WHOLE FREAKING PERSON to lose. How the eff can you even get started?

The buproprion helps with that. It gives you motivation, and it helps with appetite, especially with cravings.

The biggest danger I can see would be someone with anorexia or anorexic behaviors getting a hold of it. I was off the birth control pill for a few months while on buproprion, and I didn't feel the need to eat at all, (which was damaging to my metabolism, in the long run.)

But buproprion is NOT A MIRACLE DRUG (can't say anything about the other, because I've never been on it). You still have to get up off your butt and change–diet and exercise–but the drug makes you feel like YOU CAN DO IT.

Some people really need to S T F U about things they know nothing about.

PEOPLE LOOKING TO CHANGE– one great website is The Daily Plate at Livestrong. It's a calorie counting site, and the forums there are full of amazing and supportive people who are anyything from hundreds of pounds overweight to professional athletes.

August 2, 2010 at 17:44 | Report abuse | Reply
    • C A

I'm with you on that one!

I've got to catch myself from leaving a trail of sarcastic retorts (I'm trying to limit myself to one or two!). The hardest part for me getting going was how one of the illnesses I've been battling, osteoarthritis, has limited my mobility in the past to do the exercise I need to lose the weight. Not to mention some of the nasty side effects from some meds I'm taking for another medical issue. I finally had to say that I simply need to live with the pain, even if it means I need to crawl up the stairs (which I actually did last week following a long walk) but it's a sacrifice to make now to get the rest of the weight off, so my knees and hips won't be as crippled.

Keep working at it!

August 2, 2010 at 18:52 | Report abuse |
  38. Ana

Gee....why don't we just convince people to start smoking crystal meth ? I PROMISE you they will lose weight quickly, as it kills the appetite. An added bonus- once they are addicted to meth, they won't be worried about their weight anymore. They'll have much bigger problems, like tooth rot, heart problems, and skin lesions from constant scratching.

But seriously, the ultimate answer is NOT drugs. And yes, I am very sympathetic to the obese, and was very overweight myself. Drugs ( like surgery ) should only be a last resort for people who are morbidly obese. And since they are not a long-term solution, behavioral therapy will always be the most effective treatment ( along with diet and exercise ) for the obese. Once again, people just want an easy fix. Pop a pill, then get skinny. No, it does not work like that...Nor should it.

August 2, 2010 at 21:56 | Report abuse | Reply
    • C A

you might want to brush up on your reading skills. the article acknowledged that this is not recommended for someone looking to lose a few pounds: only for people who are considered morbidly obese. Nothing in this information says it is an easy fix; in fact, most everyone who's commented on personal experience said so in their comments.
      Most of the responses for this thread seem to come in two camps: from people with experience in obesity and the medical/emotional/mental/physical challenges that have to be balanced to really make significant weight loss happen, and from those riding the moral high horse of perception that their lack of experience and education gives them the ability to comment intelligently.
      Guess which camp you appear to belong to.

August 3, 2010 at 18:43 | Report abuse |
  39. Blondie99

I run everyday of the week, combined with weight training, and eat well. I am considered healthy weight but probably am stil about 20 pounds over my ideal weight. I just post this to say that losing weight IS NOT easy. What is even harder is keeping it off. The older you get the harder it is and it is not just a simple answer of eating well and working out, there is a point where that just does not work anymore.

August 3, 2010 at 12:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Jess

Got Nicotine?

gotnicotine.com

August 3, 2010 at 15:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Christopher Taylor

weight loss is easy to achieve if you just do some heavy workouts and a strict diet:`,

August 21, 2010 at 14:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. phenocal reviews

In this competitive era nobody is having time for caring about the health all the daily routine is disturbed due to work load. So, many people takes the medicines to loose the weight. According to the survey, we can suggest you that phenocal is the best medicine to help you to reduce the overweight.

September 10, 2010 at 08:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Jeffgriffin

The diet plans are made to help people, possibly just like you, who want to lose weight . The best thing about online diet plans is that the weight loss programs allow for those who have hectic schedules. Hectic schedules might be a huge problem for people who are trying to find time to eat healthy and go to the gym all the time. You need to study the special features of each online diet systems because that will guide you to determine if the diet system is affordable and right for you. When you are choosing a program, make sure it offers great nutritional tips and exercises that cater to your needs. The programs should not be a one size fits all, but the programs should specifically focus on you.

October 27, 2010 at 01:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. shoulder pain relier exercises

cool site. Afflicted me with a healthier comprehension of the particular current economic climate. Thanks buddie

April 21, 2011 at 18:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. nova 2 hd apk

Weight loss pill comes from addiction drugs – – CNN.com Blogs I was suggested this web site by my cousin. I am not sure whether this post is written by him as nobody else know such detailed about my difficulty. You are wonderful! Thanks! your article about Weight loss pill comes from addiction drugs – – CNN.com Blogs Best Regards Cassetta Cassetta

January 5, 2012 at 02:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. android apps

Weight loss pill comes from addiction drugs – – CNN.com Blogs I was suggested this website by my cousin. I'm not sure whether this post is written by him as no one else know such detailed about my problem. You're incredible! Thanks! your article about Weight loss pill comes from addiction drugs – – CNN.com Blogs Best Regards Veronica Lisa

January 5, 2012 at 02:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. Pharmd72

Hello! kcecgdd interesting kcecgdd site! I'm really like it! Very, very kcecgdd good!

February 3, 2012 at 09:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. Pharmf858

Hello! ddekfeb interesting ddekfeb site! I'm really like it! Very, very ddekfeb good!

February 3, 2012 at 09:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. risi

Shop online at http://www.coupons2record & get maximum benefits from Online Voucher Codes, coupon codes or promo codes, free shipping coupons, festival sale offers Free shipping coupon codes,vouchers, voucher codes, promotional codes, seasonal offers just visit site save Money Easily.
    online voucher codes