home
RSS
July 22nd, 2010

Woman with 2 uteruses carrying a baby in each

A woman who has been pregnant for more than 20 weeks is due to give birth to two babies. But they're not twins, because they’re growing inside separate uteruses and one is four days older.

Angie Cromar, a Murray, Utah, woman, was born with two uteruses, according to CNN affiliate KSL.  The condition is known as uterus didelphys.

Read and watch her video here.

CNN.com spoke with Dr. Peter Greenspan, an associate chairman in the department of obstetrics and gynecology at the University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Medicine, about the condition. He is not involved with Cromar's care.

Usually women aren’t even aware they have double uteruses, he said.

This condition occurs during fetal development, when the two small tubes that would normally fuse together to create the uterus fail to join. This creates two separate uteruses.

Greenspan said he has seen several pregnancies in women with this condition and most of them conceive in one of the organs.

“I’ve a patient who had a baby on her right uterus, then come back pregnant years later in the left side and have a baby out of that side. It’s kind of interesting,” he said.

While it's rare to conceive in both at the same time, it has happened, he said. Doctors usually don’t remove an extra uterus unless it creates complications such as repeated miscarriages.

“The issue is preterm labor, because it is a smaller cavity. It’s half the uterus,” said Greenspan. “There are premature contractions. The other issue is they have trouble and can’t remain pregnant when they get to a certain point because the uterus is too small or too tight.”

Cromar, a labor and delivery nurse told KSL that she knew that risk of miscarriage or premature birth is slightly higher in double uterine pregnancies.

"I'm a little nervous, just because I know what can happen, but I'm really excited," she said.

1. Archer

You are all a freaking hilarious read.
    I hope the pregnancies go well.

July 25, 2010 at 23:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Archer

You are all a freaking hilarious read.
    I hope the pregnancies go well.

July 25, 2010 at 23:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. lurkeR

I lol'd. :D

(active Mormon living in Utah. that was hilarious!)

July 28, 2010 at 11:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Jessica

I thought this was supposed to be about the women giving birth to babies from different uterus? This to me seems like comments about everyone's opinions. Who cares about how things are spelled or if the babies are coming from different fathers, we just want the babies and the mother to be healthy!!!

July 29, 2010 at 11:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. marie

My mother gave birth to my oldest brother who is now 58 yrs old by c-section and then had the other 4 by vaginal birth and everything went well. So, believe me vaginal births are fine after C-Sections, especially how far medical science has come in 58 years.

July 29, 2010 at 12:08 | Report abuse | Reply
    • jUDY

Who asked you? And we were talking about ...................

August 5, 2010 at 13:04 | Report abuse |
  6. Karen Cooper

I have didelphys uterui as well, with renal agenesis as well. No comments on my spelling, please. It's been 10 years since my exploratory surgery and I've tried hard to block it out of my memory. I was part of the early studies about the anamoly when they didn't know anything about it. Since I have had one child in my right uterus. I was on bedrest for the last months and despite my efforts she was still premature, which is to be expected. Luckily, I was blessed with a perfectly healthy child. She is my miracle baby. The scariest part is that at 20 weeks they start prepping you for early labor. The key is just to take it easy. Several years later I found that I was pregnant in the same uterus, yet I kept working. And at 3 months I had a miscarriage. But I've learned that everyone's experience is completely unique and completely unpredictable. The doctors are overcautious, but that's they're job. And thankfully they have learned a lot since me, and they will be better equipt to deal with your, yes, very complicated labor process. I can't imagine, though, that every pregnant woman faces horrible fears, we just have a higher percentage of possibility for things to go wrong. That's life. Sincerely, the 19-year-old female guinea pig of year 2000

July 29, 2010 at 14:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Debbie Jo

same daddy???

July 29, 2010 at 22:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. TheDude

I'm married to the child of a mom with a double uterus. She is smart, hot, and just a little bit more prone to illness, probably cause she was born very premature. She is also the younger of two kids.

August 6, 2010 at 15:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. azdfgh

if one or both are stillborn or you smother them....at least bury them out in the woods,,,not in your back yard.....and especially don't hide them in suitecases up in the attic

August 9, 2010 at 21:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Chris

This just goes to show how complicated reproduction can be! This woman had a very specific condition, but there are so many more complications that can complicate child bearing. I had to try for over five years for my first daughter. There was no clear indication why, and nothing seemed to help. I now have two beautiful daughters, but have lost three through life threatening miscarriages. There seems to be such a fine line between a pregnancy that works and the pregnancy that fails. I do hope the woman carries her twins to term, that they are healthy, and that the new family is happy with their miracles. I do feel sorry for her! She probably checked this article from time to time to hear our comments, and imagine how it must have made her feel to find out that all people cared about was the spelling in the article!!

August 16, 2010 at 09:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Ann Marie

CNN: Hoping you will post a follow up to this story. Wondering how Angie Cromar and her babies are?!

November 11, 2010 at 07:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. lauri montoya

Hello, i also have 2 uterous and have had 2 babies one from each they r 7 yrs old and r awesome i had them @ Dartmouth hospital in NH. they were a little premature but because they were in their own uterous they were growing at the rate of a single preg. i conceived them 2 weeks apart they were born at 5 and 7 weeks premature at 5 lbs 13 oz. and 4 lbs 1 oz. good luck to all who have this and god bless

May 29, 2011 at 13:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. lauri montoya

i also only have 1 kidney and they said i d b on bes rest too but i have defied the odds..i guess im not to sure y or how this actually happens but just embrace it and make it yours.. though i dont like it because i have 2 cycles and i think i get a bit more moody.though i have been blessd with 4 beautiful children and only 3 pregnancys lol if thats what it is?.

May 29, 2011 at 13:15 | Report abuse | Reply