home
RSS
July 20th, 2010

Recall issued for chicken nuggets sold at Walmart

Perdue Farms is recalling nearly 92,000 pounds of chicken nuggets because of concern that a small number of them may contain pieces of plastic.  The nuggets are sold under the Great Value brand in Walmart stores in the United States.

"We determined the likely source was a small plastic ring that got into the raw material before the nuggets were formed," said Bruce Stewart-Brown, Perdue's senior vice president for food safety and quality, in a news release.  The company says no one has been hurt.

The recall involves just over 50,000 packages of fully cooked nuggets.  Click here for packaging details.  Perdue says no other Great Value or Perdue products are involved in the recall.

Perdue says concerned consumers should call 877-727-3447 or visit the USDA website.

1. mike

damn...1 plastic ring caused this much problems...well, at least the company is responsible enough to do this. I am proud of Perdue to take these drastic steps. Hope we all recognize that

July 20, 2010 at 13:21 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Whatever

You must work for Perdue!

July 20, 2010 at 15:15 | Report abuse |
    • PERDUE IS DISGUSTING

I am proud of them too. Proud of the fact that they inject them with poisonous hormones that cause their breasts to be too heavy that they can barely stand and are piled on top of each other in a cramped dirty cage and are then slaughtered like worthless pieces of junk. Visit a chicken farm and you will see how disgusting it is. Only by from LOCAL FARMERS. Perdue, Tyson and all the other scum buckets treat their animals so horrifically you will literally vomit...that is if you have a heart.

July 20, 2010 at 15:17 | Report abuse |
    • Buster Bloodvessel

Time for a predictable PETA rant. Meat is murder, I eat only veggies, you will all go to chicken hell, etc. Why not go picket McDonald's instead of inflicting this on us?

July 20, 2010 at 15:25 | Report abuse |
    • Ryan

I would never give my kid any of this ghoulish stuff. It takes less time to cut up a breast, bread crumb it and fry it than to bake that garbage.

At least I know there is nothing but real food in it. Chicken, breadcrumbs, salt, oil. It's not about Walmart, you can buy this type of garbage anywhere. Lazy consumers who don't know what food is are the problem.

July 20, 2010 at 21:46 | Report abuse |
  2. cloneAlone

Chicken processeing plant worker, "No I didn't toss the ring in after the chickens. I swear the chicken was wearing the plastic ring and thus we can still say 100% chicken nuggets!"

July 20, 2010 at 13:22 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chris

Butt....what parts of the chicken are you feeding to your children when feeding them 100% chicken nuggets!

July 20, 2010 at 13:24 | Report abuse |
    • MeatEater

While working at a fast food restaurant I was once directed to remove a "100% beef roast" from the automated slicer and cut off the piece which had a machine screw embedded inside the ground and pressed meat product, so the rest of it could still be sliced and servered. The only clue we had that the screw was in the roast was the little "ping, ping, ping" it made each time the 'meat' passed over the spinning blade! Makes you wonder about production standards where the meat is processed and packaged before being shipped to restaurants...

July 20, 2010 at 13:30 | Report abuse |
    • dman01

No No No the ring in the chicken was exaplained in Spanish Press1 for English

July 20, 2010 at 13:39 | Report abuse |
  3. Don

Perdue did the right thing (obviously). On the other hand, I would suggest that you do not subject your body to food like this. You'd be better of grilling chicken thighs with the skin on than eating this sort of food. If it was produced by a machine, it's probably not good for you. That statement doesn't apply to being created using a home appliance.

July 20, 2010 at 13:53 | Report abuse | Reply
    • MeatEater

I would have to agree with you, Don! Machine processed foods are generally laden with fat, salt, sugar and other things that the food industry puts in them to acheive "mouth feel". They also add the same ingredients listed above to help foods sell more, due to the foods having a comfort food taste, even when it is supposed to be healthy chicken. Whole meats, such as chickens, ducks and turkeys are injected with these solutions. Cows are breed and raised to be more marbled – which is a uphamism for having the fat more evenly distributed, thus impossible to trim off. etc... Be veery careful what you eat and pay for quality.

July 20, 2010 at 14:05 | Report abuse |
  4. mike

ok...so where's the finger?

July 20, 2010 at 14:22 | Report abuse | Reply
    • MeatEater

The plastic 'ring' was likely a part of a machine or a food container etc. as opposed to one a person would wear or the article would state it differently and might refer to a human finger...might.

July 20, 2010 at 14:30 | Report abuse |
  5. DrFood

No one noticed the "plastic ring" because it tastes exactly like the chicken nuggets do.

July 20, 2010 at 14:37 | Report abuse | Reply
    • PERDUE IS DISGUSTING

Exactly. When you eat chicken nuggets at any fast food place, it is ground up beaks, feet, feces, and all manner of drugs and they have the AUDACITY to call it healthy? It is 100% chicken because they are using the ENTIRE CHICKEN in your nugget. Enjoy!

July 20, 2010 at 15:21 | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Bringing out what we've all known for so long; chicken nuggets are just carriers for the ketchup hahaha

July 21, 2010 at 21:38 | Report abuse |
  6. me

made in china?

July 20, 2010 at 14:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Stan Peters

Go Vegan or enjoy eating Chicken lips.

July 20, 2010 at 14:56 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Peter's Stan

I don't believe in killing innocent tofu.

July 20, 2010 at 15:06 | Report abuse |
    • No Weak Stomach

I'll enjoy my chicken lips because I'm not a squeemish wimp

July 20, 2010 at 15:36 | Report abuse |
    • Spencer

I prefer to kill my own food – wild game is so much better for you than anything you can find on a shelf in a grocery store.

July 20, 2010 at 18:32 | Report abuse |
    • raruve

Well well we've run the gamut here haven't we? From vegan to chicken lip lovers to hunter rednecks... welcome to America! Land of the cheap chicken, home of the brave enough to eat it.

July 20, 2010 at 20:29 | Report abuse |
  8. clutzycook

Ron White said it best when he said "I didn't climb to the top of the food chain to eat carrots!"

July 20, 2010 at 15:57 | Report abuse | Reply
    • greg

Ron White's fat rear couldn't climb anything.

July 20, 2010 at 16:26 | Report abuse |
    • Patrick

hahaha someone admitted actually listening to ron white

July 21, 2010 at 10:33 | Report abuse |
  9. BAN ALL FASTFOOD

i agree with everyone, however, there are still good old fashioned farms that dont use any steroids, hormones or nothing & chickens are free range...The best!!!!!!!!Washington county PA has some of the best, rather its eggs or chicken (i make me own chicken nuggets for my kids, def dont eat abused tortured injected meat of any type./...we need to boycott places like mcdonalds, kfc, & ALL FAST FOOD, lets get back to good old days, of growing everything yourselves or buying from local farmers.....SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL FARMERS best ever...!

July 20, 2010 at 16:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Junk Food Hater

If you eat the ring, you will receive a phone call and die after 7 days.

July 20, 2010 at 16:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. China Mart

I would NEVER shop at China Mart...aka Walmart.

cheap cheap cheap, processed junk, foreign made foods. Sam Walton would be livid if he were alive. Remember when everhthing in Walmart used to be MADE IN AMERICA....not anymore.

Walmart FAIL

July 20, 2010 at 16:38 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dr. Hugh McDacker

lets do teh fork in da garbage disposal and eat these thangs!

July 20, 2010 at 19:05 | Report abuse |
    • Skippy

Yep! That's the only reason I would shop there in the 80's. American Made. Now it's get whatever we can at a low price and who cares if the public gets sick.

July 20, 2010 at 19:33 | Report abuse |
  12. Mike Honcho

" You dont make friends with salad, you dont make friends with salad" PETA IS THE WORST THING TO HAPPEN SINCE HIV AND CANCER. What about the ethical treatment of PEOPLE!!!

July 20, 2010 at 18:24 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Frank Zappa

Call any vegetable, and the chances are good that the vegetable will respond to you.

July 20, 2010 at 20:35 | Report abuse |
  13. MJones

I don't know what the quality of these 'store-brand" nuggets usually is, but get your facts straight folks. Perdue does NOT inject hormones into their chickens. I am related to a one-time accountant of theirs, and he would have known. Anyway, there are LAWS about telling bold face lies to the American public in TV and magazine ads, which they have both used to state that the chickens are a HYBRID, fed a NATURAL DIET, and are not injected with hormones or other chemicals. That being said, the chickens ARE very large, to the point of making it hard for them to walk, which they do little of anyway inside the giant factory-style coops they are housed in. No free-range here. Their meat is safe to eat. So it is really a question of humane treatment of the animals more than what's in their flesh. Also, some ranchers who contract with Perdue have complained about the chicken excrement run-off that Perdue gives them no extra money to dispose of. So into the Chesapeake Bay it goes. Such a waste considering the high-nitrogen content of chicken droppings when used as fertilizer!

July 20, 2010 at 19:03 | Report abuse | Reply
    • dsavio

my brother's cousin's grandpa's dentist once delivered newspapers to the CEO of Perdue and he ASSURES me that they DO inject hormones into their animals.

July 20, 2010 at 23:32 | Report abuse |
  14. MJones

I do shop at Walmart, because they have fresh groceries now. Including some organic items, and they contract with LOCAL farmers for produce, since the big industrial farmers are all locked in with Safeway, et. al. As far as Chinese versus American, I do wish more was made here, but I am not going to turn down an iPhone just because they are all made in China.

July 20, 2010 at 19:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Skippy

Haven't bought "nuggets" at Walmart but bought a cut up chicken there a few months ago, and go sicker than I can even explain! Don't buy "meat" at WALMART !

July 20, 2010 at 19:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. thinkbeforeyoueat

Read labels. If you can't recognize what you're eating, then think twice before you consume it. Exercise as well as diet is essential to staying healthy.

July 20, 2010 at 19:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. nixliberals

I bought a family pack of sirloin steaks from a local WalMart and the texture was quite unlike anything I have ever seen. It was rubbery and I immediately thought of Tofu. When cooked it was very tasteless and again, quite rubbery. No one ate it, with not much comment. I ate more of it than anyone as I will eat anything short of rotten. I have not purchased more since that date and that was almost 5 years ago. They can keep it. My only question is "How much did you pay your Federal Inspector?" There is no way an "A" rating was deserving. This should spark an inquisition. Whipping is appropriate!!

July 20, 2010 at 21:20 | Report abuse | Reply
    • D.J.

Their meat isn't graded. There's your problem.

July 20, 2010 at 23:05 | Report abuse |
  18. Bluegrl

We alter all sorts of animals for our eating pleasure. If we condemn one, should we condemn them all? Kobe Beef, for example, is produced by careful maintenance of the cow. Some of this, of course is daily massage.

July 20, 2010 at 22:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Read "Food Rules"

there are some great books out on common sense approaches to eating healthilly – I suggest you give "Food Rules" a gander and check out others like this in the same section of the book store. All I know is – when I started cooking real food at home from scratch, i.e. vegetables and meats, (not prepackaged foods) – I started to loose weight – without doing any exercise at all. I feel full longer too, so I eat less. I am sure it has to do with all the preservatives in the food.

July 21, 2010 at 00:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. mmi16

Tastes like chicken

July 21, 2010 at 02:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Rick McDaniel

WalMart usually carries almost anything that has been recalled. Just goes to show.......the cheapest isn't always the best way to go.

July 21, 2010 at 11:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Bob

I'm impressed with the recall. Some companies lobbied for less standards etc... and now ship their soups with a government accepted level of rat feces and a whole host of nasty things........I applaud them for this act, but looks like some folks won't be happy till were all Vegan......

July 21, 2010 at 13:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. dawn g

We already ate our package..delicious..Would of been nice to know before then?

July 21, 2010 at 14:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. tootie fruity

seriously one plastic ring and what if they never foound out about this ring some little kid could have choked on this ring and died .... need to be more careful next time people who knows wat kinda trouble this piece of plastic could have caused

July 21, 2010 at 15:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. mcperry

i think that the chicken nuggets that are sold at walmart are personaly fine. i know that some people lie to sell the products like the toy hamsters for example.

July 21, 2010 at 15:30 | Report abuse | Reply