home
RSS
July 18th, 2010

CNN triathletes cross finish line

CNN Fit Nation team (white caps) takes off from the swim start barge in the Nautica New York City Triathlon

Dr. Sanjay Guptasix CNN viewers from across the nation, and seven other CNN employees finished the Nautica New York City Triathlon on Sunday in front of thousands of race spectators in Central Park.

The culmination of CNN’s Fit Nation Challenge, the race started with a one-mile swim  in the Hudson River, a 25-mile bike ride along the West Side Highway, and a six-mile run in the park.

Anthony Fox, a CNN producer, was the first of the team to cross the finish line, followed closely by Gupta.  Angie Brouhard, a recent breast cancer survivor,  was the first of the self-proclaimed “six pack” of CNN viewers to cross the finish line.  Today also marks Brouhard’s 18th wedding anniversary with her husband, Brad.

Brouhard was followed shortly by Dean Hanan, a New York City police officer; Linda Fisher-Lewis,  a retired Oregon police officer; Meredith Clark, a Tallahassee, Florida, newspaper reporter; Stanley Saballett, a youth services coordinator from San Diego, California; and Rickey Williams, a teacher from Los Angeles.

All first-time triathletes, the “six pack” and Gupta, say they will be signing up for future triathlons.

CNN Executive Producer Roni Selig, along with producers John Bonifield, Caitlin Hagan, Danielle Dellorto, Jeff Kepnes and Charlie Moore also completed the race with the CNN team.

Champion distance swimmer Diana Nyad was also on hand to support the team, cheering them on as they jumped into the Hudson River, and again as they crossed the finish line.

1. Cheebalasvgas

Well done! Especially in this crazy heat.

July 18, 2010 at 18:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. stephanie bidock

Congrats Sanjay! As I sit on my coach sipping wine. I toast to you.

July 18, 2010 at 19:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. trailangel

Congratulations, CNN Fit Nation Team! Way to go! Following your stories has been an inspiration. I'm doing my first sprint triathlon this fall.

July 18, 2010 at 21:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Edith Green

Way to go Angie!! All of us at Lawnview are proud of your courage, hard work, & your determination. Thanks for being you.

July 19, 2010 at 02:08 | Report abuse | Reply
    • susan bell

Hi Miss Edith!!! I agree with your comment 100%! Angie YOU ARE AWESOME! Have a great summer. 🙂

July 20, 2010 at 12:50 | Report abuse |
    • Felipe

I guess this means i wont need to make a mobile ad unit amoryne? Normal ad units will sufice? Also on my ipad all the ad units seem to have a big arrow next to the ad. Personaly I would like to see that arrow on all my ads, wether it is viewed on a mobile device or regular pc. And when I create a mobile ad unit the arrows do not seem to be there, only on regular ad units watched with a mobile device. Is this an error or on purpouse?

November 14, 2012 at 10:20 | Report abuse |
  5. Indy609

Way to go, team CNN! Welcome to a great sport.

July 19, 2010 at 07:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. trebee25

Congratulations to the CNN tri team!! You are all awesome.
    Maybe I'll see you at the Philly Tri next year?!!

July 19, 2010 at 22:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Ann Selig

Nice Job!! Come to the Nantasket tri-athalon in September!!

July 22, 2010 at 06:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Jim Walker

Great job CNN Tri Team! Welcome to the sport of triathlon-you will never regret it and only want to do more triathlons!!

July 24, 2010 at 09:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Mole

Hi,

Today I come again to your site. Actually, I've been following your blog for 3 days now and i should say i am starting to like your post. and now how do i subscribe to your blog?

Thanks

July 24, 2010 at 11:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Kris

Congratulations to you all!!! What an accomplishment. I am doing my second annual triathlon, but its not quite the distance you guys did.

August 5, 2010 at 16:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Claire

Wow you guys are great! Good job!

October 24, 2010 at 15:42 | Report abuse | Reply