home
RSS
July 16th, 2010

Magazine's top hospital again: Johns Hopkins

For the 20th year in a row, Johns Hopkins Hospital ranks No. 1  in U.S.News and World Report's annual guide to America's best hospitals. Next to top the list were the Mayo Clinic, Massachusetts General Hospital, the Cleveland Clinic and Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center.

The hospital guide evaluated most of the medical facilities in the nation, except military hospitals, to rank the best in 16 specialties from heart surgery to cancer. Out of almost 5,000 hospitals considered, 152 made it to top ranking status and 14 were chosen for this year's honor role, or most elite category.

A hospital's ranking is based on reputation, death rates, patient safety and care-related factors such as nursing and patient services. This guide is particularly useful for patients who need the most demanding procedures or high-stakes care, requiring the best in technology and expertise.

"Those hospitals are accustomed to seeing the sickest patients day in and day out," says Avery Comarow,   U.S. News and World Report's health rankings editor

Patients can also look up hospital ratings in one or more of the 16 specialties highlighted in the report such as diabetes, arthritis, kidney disorders, brain tumors, psychiatric illness, and others.

The magazine's  top three hospitals for cancer care are: the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center and the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. Its best providers for diabetes patients are the Mayo Clinic, Massachusetts General and Johns Hopkins.

Post by:
Filed under: Cancer • Diabetes

1. James

Tell all the hospitals that are in the top ten(10) to help find a cure for HIV/Aids and save our young adults. We need a cure now, to many have died and to many are stilling dying.

July 19, 2010 at 07:45 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Brian

AIDS/HIV is more often than not gotten because of an action that someone chooses. Unprotected sex, drug use, etc... I'd hope that if they are going to spend time to find a cure on something, it would be something which saves young adults who DIDNT have a choice or take part in risky behavior.

July 19, 2010 at 13:31 | Report abuse |
  2. James T. Dade

I was admitted to Johns Hopkins for chronic depression from bursitis in both hips. It was a nightmare from beginning to end of a 6 day stay. It took them 12 hours to get a bed for me. The Psyc emeregency was a joke. I had to sleep on the floor while waiting for a bed. I had to listen to the head nurse cell phone going off every ten minutes with the ring tone AT LAST. The other nurse explaining to a new empoyee how to watch his back because these motherf-- will try to get you. I kept trying to get a bed to sleep on but got the same old story it will be in a few minutes. After about 10 hours on the floor I phone a friend who works at Johns Hopkins if he could help. After he talked to the head doctor and explain to him that he works there and he would appreciate it if he could take care of my needs. I got a bed within my 11 hour stay. Thirty minutes later I was up in my supposely room. The had to get up again to answer the same old questions they ask downstair. I finally got to sleep at 0300. I checked in at 10:00AM. I will avoid going to Johns Hopkins for anything. Then I was subscribed ZOLOFT for depression. I wasn't going to kill myself it was the chronic pain in my hip that was causing my problem. No one adress this issue with me. I wanted to leave but I could not because I signed some statement. I'm not mentally ill.

I will never vist this place again.

Thanks,

James

July 19, 2010 at 12:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Christina

The only thing John Hopkins is number #1 at is blatant self promotion. I've visited the dermatology, ENT, opthamology depts and have recieved quite poor to mediocre service. I was shocked at how over rated this place really is. Major disappointment. I expected excellent service and recieved subpar service.

July 19, 2010 at 16:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. The_Mick

For those complaining about Hopkins, I would point out every hospital has its bad days. My nurse sister left Hopkins for a better position at another local hospital and returned to Hopkins in two weeks because the low quality of sterile procedures and general care, along with nurse's inability to question doctor's decisions at the other hospital were simply not up to Hopkins standards.

July 19, 2010 at 16:47 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mickie

I work in a hospital in Florida and hate it with a passion. What does your sister think of her job? Do they care about their employees? Every job has its good and bad, I understand that. However, I couldn't be more unhappy with the mico managing, short staff, short on supplies, etc. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to find people who work at these hospitals that are ranked in the top 10 hospitals to determine how the employees are treated and are they valued.

September 2, 2010 at 01:49 | Report abuse |
  5. kenneth rudkin

It is fine to grade large hospitals but let us not forget the thousands of community hospitals that day after day do a great job.

July 19, 2010 at 17:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Nichole

A lot of times these "top hospital" rankings come from patient satisfaction surveys, and surveys that patients/families seek out on their own. I happen to work for a "top" hospital, but it will never be ranked where it should be – because we service illegal immigrants and patients who can't pay. These patients also rarely have access to computers to complete these surveys. They can say that they base it on "reputation, death rates, patient safety and care-related factors such as nursing and patient services," however, look at whats listed first. We'll rank with you in the other categories, however...our patients won't respond to surveys.

July 19, 2010 at 18:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. DK

My only interaction with this hospital was that they misdiagnosed my brothers condition and performed an unnecessary surgery. Said he had melanoma and removed a tumor. Was actually lymphoma and he needed chemo and radiation. Surgery made he face a mess.

July 20, 2010 at 07:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. knightwolf

Health

July 28, 2010 at 21:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. danwalter

If Dr. Gupta were a real journalist, he would not fall for the hype about "America's Best Hospital." As Bllomberg News reported, "Hospitals rated as top by U.S. News & World Report are chosen using a system that reflects their reputation with little connection to objective measures of quality of care, a study said."
    As for Hopkins, read http://adventuresincardiology for the real story.

October 5, 2010 at 14:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. cursos a distancia gratis

lettura pi� in altezza su questo argomento. Se possibile, come si diventa esperienza, ti dispiacerebbe prorogare il tuo blog mediante pi�

August 8, 2012 at 03:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. john

john hotrypkins great hospital 11/11/97 liver and kidney trans plant strill going strong,,,dr was the best...bless john hopkiins

June 24, 2015 at 19:58 | Report abuse | Reply