home
RSS
July 15th, 2010

Doctors seek not to be defined by abortion

The New York Times is running a thought-provoking piece in the Magazine this weekend called "The New Abortion Providers."

It gives an in-depth look at young doctors who provide abortions today, successors to a generation who in the years after Roe vs. Wade had found themselves increasingly set apart from mainstream medicine.  Today's providers have sought  to make abortion part of their broader medical practice. They work at universities, so that they don't encounter daily crowds of protesters. If these doctors succeeded in making abortion more mainstream and esteemed in the medical profession, the article asks, "would the politics surrounding it finally change?"

Abortion providers used to be mostly male, but today women are the main force behind providing abortion, the article says.

Read the full story here.

1. Augsbee

Oh please, how dumb do these doctors think people are, an abortion is an abortion no matter which way you spin it. Why not tell women to use modern medicine precautions and use the IUD Birth Control system which blocks you from getting pregnant.

July 15, 2010 at 14:08 | Report abuse | Reply
    • RH

Actually, we're pretty dumb. I hate to quote a movie in such a context, but Men in Black actually got this one right: "A person is smart. People are dumb panicky animals, and you know that." Just look at how much damage was done by CDS in the economy. They haven't stopped issuing them. Sometimes they may change the name to reduce stigma. But thanks to a more interesting topic (BP), "people" stoped caring. So yes, I think they're pretty clever trying to quietly enter the mainstream while everything else in the world is going wrong, and trying to carve out a section of the mainstream for themselves.

Unfortunatly for abortion, it is an undebatable topic. Those who believe it is wrong, know its wrong (and will never be convinced otherwise). Those who believe it isn't wrong, know it isn't wrong (and will never be convinced otherwise). It is a moral issue, and morals are roughly defined as "the things we know are true, because we don't care to find out why they're true".

July 15, 2010 at 14:27 | Report abuse |
    • nonesuch

Augsbee, don't you think doctors do offer contraceptive choices to women? That doesn't preclude the necessity for legal abortion. No contraceptive is 100% effective, and sometimes abortion is done because of fetal abnormality.

July 15, 2010 at 15:01 | Report abuse |
    • Augsbee

reply to nonesuch: No, I don't think Doctors are telling women about IUD birth control otherwise women would have already been using it. I read that finally this year IUD procedure is up in younger women, especially College age, because they understand that the T-shape devise in the uterus actually blocks you from getting pregnant and that it is easy to remove, it's not like tying your tubes. I read it works well in teenage girls also. I just don't see why anyone would want to go through an abortion if you can block the uterus????? I think people just keep thinking that anyone that is against abortion is trying to make abortion illegal but it isn't so for most of us. Most of us can't understand why you would want to experience the pain, trauma, sadness, danger, etc... that comes with an abortion if you can put a plug in your uterus safely.

July 15, 2010 at 16:42 | Report abuse |
    • nonesuch

Nonsense, Augsbee. You don't seem to understand at all how IUDs work, nor do you know anything about their possible side-effects, apparently. Assuming that doctors who include abortion in their practices along with general medical care are trying to keep anyone in the dark about birth control is just ridiculous.

July 15, 2010 at 18:31 | Report abuse |
  2. Waterfalls

Most of the time, it's not done for fetal abnormality, rape, or failed birth control, though. I think it should be safely available for major abnormalities or rape, but I personally don't like it in other cases. However, I think it should be legal, just don't understand why so many people choose it over birth control or adoption (you can even choose an open adoption, come on!!) (Again, I am not talking about cases of rape. Of course they should be able to abort without ANY judgment.) And doctors have been providing these services quietly at hospitals for a long time. This article is nothing new.

July 15, 2010 at 16:15 | Report abuse | Reply
    • nonesuch

Women don't choose abortion over birth control. Did you even read the article?

Birth control isn't always effective; even the pill can fail if a woman is taking an antibiotic while she is on it. Even a tubal ligation can fail-I know of a woman who had one and two years later, she became pregnant.

You have no say concerning the reasons women choose to terminate a pregnancy, and you don't know diddly about the lives of those women involved. It's none of your business unless you're the one who's pregnant.

July 15, 2010 at 19:33 | Report abuse |
  3. dkwk

Wateralls, I think your assertion that abortion be provided in cases of rape is a little too judgemental in itself. Killing a child under ANY circumstance should NEVER be allowed.

July 15, 2010 at 16:25 | Report abuse | Reply
    • nonesuch

No one is "killing babies".

July 15, 2010 at 18:32 | Report abuse |
  4. smithy

For those claiming that the doctors aren't telling women about IUD birth control – did you read the article???? Let me make it easy for you – "Godfrey read up on contraception and learned that IUDs can be safely inserted right after delivery. But Medicaid refused to pay for a delivery and this second procedure in one day. “Many of my patients were getting pregnant again, without intending to, and it was extremely frustrating,” she says. " I know ignorance is bliss, but maybe you should read the article before making broad, ignorant, assumptions about highly trained, ethical, medical professionals.

July 15, 2010 at 18:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. fatty

Hypocratic oath says do no harm, Right? I think life begins at conception, otherwise, we wouldn't have a need for abortion, Right? In other words, this "glob of tissue" turns into a "fetus" Right?,, This "fetus" turns into a living breathing human being, not a pig, dog, goat, cow, etc, but a living, breathing human being, Right? I know 2 many women that have had an abortion with mental issues. It is not worth it, in my opinion, We should be jumping the scientists that are not producing good, safe, birth control, with no side effects. A woman has to pass a law to get her uterus remove, we cry over an animal getting killed, we cry over child abuse victims, why don't we cry over babies getting killed, yes, they are BABIES!! Keep on and we in America will be cut down like cities of old, Sodom and Ghomorah... Ever heard of that?

July 15, 2010 at 18:53 | Report abuse | Reply
    • nonesuch

No, not "right". The Hippocratic Oath is not administered to doctors any more, by the way. You can "think life begins at conception", but that's your problem, not anyone else's. Every drug has side effects, and "jumping scientists" makes it sound as though those big bad pharma companies are purposely refusing to research and manufacture safe, effective birth control.
      And what in the world are you blathering about: "A woman has to pass a law to get her uterus remove"?? What utter and complete nonsense.

What does some fable from your book of fairy tales have to do with the issue of women's reproductive rights? You are aware, aren't you, that God allows millions of fertilized eggs to be expelled every month?

July 15, 2010 at 19:00 | Report abuse |
    • nonesuch

Correction to my post: while the Hippocratic Oath is still recited at some medical schools, it bears little resemblance to the original, in which doctors swear not to do surgery! It has no bearing on modern medicine, considering that abortion is a legal procedure.

Attempting to use it as a reason that abortion should be illegal is just stupid.

July 15, 2010 at 20:07 | Report abuse |
  6. Waterfalls

Nonesuch, millions of abortions aren't happening in the U.S because of failed birth control and rape. Plenty are because of people choosing it over birth control after-the-fact. (I am not talking about countries where birth control is hard to find.) Why do they do this? Probably many reasons, including thinking that most isn't safe and too immature to use condoms. As for the IUD you're mentioning, I would never in a million years let someone put an object in my uterus. I'm not convinced that's safe and never will be. Thanks.

Also I personally am not judging those who have abortions, unless the religious folks here, but don't understand why they don't choose adoption. Funny how when you bring that up the abortion supporters ignore it.

July 16, 2010 at 03:42 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Betsy

One of the reasons that people don't choose adoption is that 45 million people in this country don't have health insurance– how are you going to pay for a pregnancy/delivery without it? Oh, and many, many women can be fired just for getting pregnant– the laws that protect some women from losing their jobs because they are pregnant don't apply to women who have been working less than a year or work for a company with fewer than 50 employees. Oh, and there is no paid maternity leave for the vast majority of women, and no unpaid maternity leave for women not covered by FMLA. And there isn't exactly a strong demand for babies born with disabilities, babies born to women with little or no prenatal care, women of color, women with chronic medical conditions, and/or women with drug problems. So now they are going to languish in a broken, underfunded, and thoroughly mismanaged foster care system? Somehow, I'm not seeing adoption as a viable or even desirable alternative to abortion for many women.

If this country wants to get serious about reducing abortions, all of the issues above need to be addressed, along with the big one of how to reduce unintended pregnancies. I've worked in the foster care system AND volunteer at a women's health clinic that provides abortions, so I've seen this issue from many sides. No one likes abortion, but until we address the structural issues that make it necessary, it isn't going anywhere.

July 16, 2010 at 07:17 | Report abuse |
    • nonesuch

Why should a woman who doesn't want to be pregnant act as an incubator for someone else? And regardless of the reasons people might choose abortion (and they don't, in fact, choose it over birth control), the fact is that it's not your business.

July 16, 2010 at 09:18 | Report abuse |
    • Augsbee

Waterfalls & Betsy: what do you ladies think of having your tubes tied to prevent getting pregnant?

July 16, 2010 at 16:33 | Report abuse |
    • nonesuch

Did you READ my posts? I work with a woman who had her tubes tied after she and her husband had two children and felt their family was complete. Two YEARS after that, she became pregnant with her third child.

NO BIRTH CONTROL IS FOOLPROOF OR 100% EFFECTIVE.

One can have a tubal ligation and her partner a vasectomy if both are in agreement that their family is complete. Otherwise, what do you suggest women do if they do want children, but are not ready for one at the moment? Tubal ligation is pretty permanent although it can sometimes be reversed, though such a procedure is not always successful. if a woman isn't sure that she wants no more children, or wants none at all, ever, it's a choice. Otherwise, not so much.

July 16, 2010 at 19:47 | Report abuse |
  7. Odalice Yolanda Feliz

abortions is taking an easy way out of responsibility a responsible adult...

July 18, 2010 at 01:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. fatty

I will pray for you all

July 21, 2010 at 00:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. LJ4789

Warren Buffet’s $3 billion donation to advance abortion access — including the fact that Buffet’s money is directly funding a program to train abortion doctors.

"...embraced rather than shunned" "...aims to supply medical schools with funds to train ob/gyn residents in providing abortions"This is evil.

It is well said – It’s easier for a camel to pass thru the eye of a needle then for a rich man to make it to heaven!" This is certainly about depopulization. And at the top of the pyramid are the elite who prefer all mankind (eventually) to march under their electronically administered commands via mind control. Our world is in exile – for this is satan's land. Only the Lord giveth and taketh away life. We are to protect those who cannot for themselves at any cost!!

For our wrestling is not against flesh and blood, but against the principalities, against the powers, against the world's rulers of the darkness of this age, and against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places. (Ephesians 6:12)

We must always remember that we must war with the power of His might- not our own – for the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God. (2 Cornithians 10:4)

Daily Readings for Wednesday July 21, 2010
    Reading 1, Jer 1:1, 4-10 1 The words of Jeremiah son of Hilkiah, one of the priests living at Anathoth in the territory of Benjamin. 4 The word of Yahweh came to me, saying: 5 'Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; before you came to birth I consecrated you; I appointed you as prophet to the nations.' 6 I then said, 'Ah, ah, ah, Lord Yahweh; you see, I do not know how to speak: I am only a child!' 7 But Yahweh replied, 'Do not say, "I am only a child," for you must go to all to whom I send you and say whatever I command you. 8 Do not be afraid of confronting them, for I am with you to rescue you, Yahweh declares.' 9 Then Yahweh stretched out his hand and touched my mouth, and Yahweh said to me: 'There! I have put my words into your mouth. 10 Look, today I have set you over the nations and kingdoms, to uproot and to knock down, to destroy and to overthrow, to build and to plant.' Gospel, Mt 13:1-9 1 That same day, Jesus left the house and sat by the lakeside, 2 but such large crowds gathered round him that he got into a boat and sat there. The people all stood on the shore, 3 and he told them many things in parables. He said, 'Listen, a sower went out to sow. 4 As he sowed, some seeds fell on the edge of the path, and the birds came and ate them up. 5 Others fell on patches of rock where they found little soil and sprang up at once, because there was no depth of earth; 6 but as soon as the sun came up they were scorched and, not having any roots, they withered away. 7 Others fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up and choked them. 8 Others fell on rich soil and produced their crop, some a hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty. 9 Anyone who has ears should listen!'

July 22, 2010 at 04:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Michel Blatz

prace licencjackie z filologii angielskiej

June 30, 2016 at 04:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. fitzgerald consulting

After looking into a number of the articles on your blog, I seriously like your way of blogging. I book-marked it to my bookmark site list and will be checking back in the near future. Take a look at my web site too and let me know what you think.|

April 11, 2017 at 03:41 | Report abuse | Reply