home
RSS
July 15th, 2010

Romaine lettuce recalled in U.S. and Canada

Romaine lettuce salads from the Fresh Express brand are being recalled by both U.S. and Canadian food safety agencies, because the products may be contaminated with E. coli.

The recall was initiated by the company, Fresh Express Incorporated, which is based in Salinas, California. No illnesses have been reported in association with the recall.

The voluntary recall involves Fresh Express salad products with expired use-by dates of July 8 – 12 and an "S" in the Product Code because they could be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7.   See the complete list of the recalled products.

These include 6- to 3- ounce, romaine-based products such as romaine hearts and premium romaine salads. Stores and consumers should discard the bag; questions can be directed to  the Fresh Express Consumer Response Center at (800) 242-5472.

"The recall notification is being issued out of an abundance of caution due to an isolated instance in which one package of Fresh Express Hearts of Romaine salad yielded a positive result for E. coli O157:H7 in a random sample test collected and conducted by a third-party laboratory for the U.S. Food and Drug Administration," according to a FDA press release.

Eating food contaminated by the E. coli 0157:H7 bacteria could cause symptoms such as severe abdominal pain, bloody diarrhea, seizures, strokes and in severe cases of illness, people may die. What you should know about E. coli

Earlier this year, romaine lettuce was recalled in the United States.  In May, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed that at least 23 people in four states had been sickened after eating romaine lettuce contaminated with E. coli bacteria. The two U.S. distributors, Freshway Foods and Vaughan Foods voluntarily recalled the products.

1. Lynn

Salad used to be one of my favorite foods. Now everytime I purchase any lettuce, bagged or not, I visualize myself getting sick. I don't understand why people have to be so afraid of eating what should be one of the healthiest foods around. As a child and a young adult I ate salad frequently at home and at all kinds of restaurants. These days salad is a scary food and I wish someone would come clean as to why lettuce, spinach and other typically raw salad ingredients are becoming so tainted with bacteria all of the time! I lived 30 years or more eating salad without getting sick once or worrying about it. Now eating salad is like playing Russian Rulette. You never know when you are going to get the tainted serving. Are people better off buying the heads of lettuce than the bagged lettuce? Because when growing up there was no such thing as chopped bagged, mixed greens, etc. If that is what's causing the problem, I will gladly go back to buying heads of lettuce instead. But the Government needs to come clean about exactly what is causing this problem in order to protect consumers. It's long overdue. Recalls are not the solution.

July 15, 2010 at 12:23 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Erick

Shop at local farmer's markets. Those farmers likely aren't using tainted fertilizer or letting their fields get polluted by animal runoff. If you continue supporting them, they'll know you by face and by name, and they'll be less likely to screw you over like factory farms do. What's more, you'll be more likely to find good deals there for QUALITY food than from a large supermarket chain that cares little about how healthy or safe food is and cares more about profit maximization.

Local farmers stake their reputation and entire livelihood on their products. Big farming couldn't care less.

July 15, 2010 at 12:55 | Report abuse |
    • republicans hate america

it has been 16 years of the philosophy that the industry will police itself and that government has no business intruding. its why we have oil disasters, its why we have viral breakouts, its why drug companies can peddle their hazardous chemicals as something that is safe. keep getting scared by the socialist label these conservatives are so good at creating all the while we all get sick for profits.

July 15, 2010 at 17:24 | Report abuse |
    • Ruth

Bagged lettuce/spinach is partially washed with very low grade chlorine that increases bacterial resistance. It's always the bagged stuff that's a problem.

July 15, 2010 at 18:52 | Report abuse |
    • rob

You're right that it's hard to enjoy salad anymore due to this. Fields that are downhill from livestock areas bring e.coli from manure runoff. Illegal aliens aren't screened for diseases when entering the country and 2% of them work in agricultural. Those sources of contamination, combined with a lack of sanitation on farms, is a deadly combination. Heads of lettuce are safer because there's only the risk of one head being contaminated, rather than the many that are combined in a bag. Discard the outer leaves and scrub the inner leaves well with a little soap to reduce the bacteria, but even that won't remove all of it. Just a small area of e.coli contamination can lead to a massive infection.

July 15, 2010 at 21:06 | Report abuse |
    • yoyo1198

I don't buy bagged lettuce/salads of any kind. I've always made salads from heads of lettuce freshly washed and drained. I believe the contamination issues are directly related to the people who are harvesting and then the packaging processes. It's not that much trouble to make salad from 'scratch' and has always been much more beneficial to me.

July 15, 2010 at 21:35 | Report abuse |
    • Lettuce Pray

Bush's fault?

July 15, 2010 at 23:30 | Report abuse |
    • BldrRepublican

What is causing the problem is increased ability to sense contamination. 30 years ago, the technology did not exist to discover when one lot of a product was contaminated. And, btw, do you know exactly WHAT it is that is the source of all the contamination???? Migrant workers using the fields as restrooms. Believe it or not. I grew up working in agriculture, and THAT is the source of all the contamination. Seriously.

July 16, 2010 at 01:08 | Report abuse |
    • Mrs. D

I agree, Lynn. What's up with all the contamination? Isn't the FDA supposed to keep this from happening? It does make you think twice before ordering salad in a restaurant or eating it at home. I remember my dad telling me to only order cooked vegetables in restaurants in W. Germany in the late '60s (because of their use of "honey wagons" for fertilizer).

July 16, 2010 at 07:57 | Report abuse |
    • BEth

Lynn,
      ME TOO!!!!
      I'm so glad i"M not the only one.... I felt "silly" for being that way, but I Honestly don't even eat salad anymore....and I CRAVE it....but I don't trust how it's shipped, packaged, etc.
      I buy fresh and still worry....
      I get so mad at the fact that either it's full of chemicals, or full of bacteria. THe USA can DO BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      What a shame.

July 26, 2010 at 11:22 | Report abuse |
  2. STUPID FDA NEEDS TO DIE

Hmmm, is it any wonder why we saw buttloads of Fresh Express commercials in the past few weeks? I would see a commercial for this salad almost at every break depending on the channel. Did they try to get the last bit of millions from the people because they KNEW that their salads were poisonous thus trying to offset the recall? I would not be surprised. American companies are some of the most corrupt on the planet. It is absolutely disgusting.

July 15, 2010 at 12:40 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lettuce Pray

Buttloads? Maybe that's why it's being recalled.

July 15, 2010 at 23:31 | Report abuse |
  3. Erick

E.coli is a bacteria carried by humans and animals. Most of these big vegetable recalls are due to the factory farming of animals that live in small pens and cages, stand and eat in each others' feces, get sick from each other, and then the runoff from those huge meat factories makes it to farmer's fields as pollution or fertilizer. Oh, and then you get to eat the meat from those animals who have been living in filth. Either way, the blame rests solely on the meat industry for creating these disgusting conditions and the FDA for allowing them to perpetuate.

Eat organic, free range animals and produce. Stop going to Walmart for your food and get to know your butcher, your grocer, your baker. If they know you by face and name, they won't try to kill you like the factory food industry does and will.

July 15, 2010 at 12:50 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jeremy

walmart put my butcher and a lot of the smaller markets out of business. there is no other option but walmart for about 75 miles. it's bullsh!t.

July 15, 2010 at 15:58 | Report abuse |
    • star

Erick, while I like what you are saying in philosophy, Im still concerned. There is no evidence that the food from Whole foods, for example, is any safer. And with regards to farmers markets, again, in philisophy I wholeheartedly agree with many of your points, but here is my uneasy question: why should joe farmer care if the cattle crap in his fields or it runs off onto his fields from rancher bobs next door, carrying e-coli, (found not only in penned animals but in wild deer and other wildlife, ) when he brings it to the farmers market to sell? He may not realize it, he may not understand about it, he may not care, and may figure he wouldn't be named anyway (who really remembers from whom they bought the lettuce?)without any kind of oversight? Not trying to pick a fight, just seriously freaked out about the whole thing, LOL!

July 15, 2010 at 17:30 | Report abuse |
    • Erick

@Star

It all comes down to personal responsibility. If an individual seller knows that his or her buying public knows their seller's name and face, they will be less likely to cut corners to make a quick buck. Corporations and factory farms duck that responsibility because the factory farmers themselves never interact with their customers. Out of sight, out of mind. They don't know them, don't care about them.

Local farmers invest a LOT of time and money into their small businesses and tend to keep their profit margins low because of it. If word gets around that Bob the Farmer's radishes gave the runs to multiple people in town, he knows his name and his product – along with his time and financial investment – are mud.

However, BigFarm Inc. doesn't care because they traffic in quantity, not quality. If some people get sick, they compare the cost of recouping those who were affected with how much it would cost to put appropriate safeguards in place. If it costs less to recoup, then that's what they'll do. Period. That's cost-benefit analysis in the complete absence of ethics or basic human conscience, and it's the most vile aspect to corporate capitalism. Car companies (Toyota), oil companies (BP), and financial institutions (Goldman Sachs) do it too.

Local capitalism works because if you know and care about the people who are paying your salary by buying your products, you work to keep their business because there's no one else to turn to. In turn, customers are happier and will be more loyal. Everyone wins. In the factory farming model, everyone loses except for the corporate suits who never even pick up a shovel.

July 15, 2010 at 18:27 | Report abuse |
    • Linda

Erick, have you ever been to a farm? It is obvious from your comment that you have not. I live in ranch and farm country, and either farmers grow crops or they have cattle. They don't have time for both, nor the funds. I have never seen cattle living in a pen as you claim. The cost would be enormous to feed these animals if they are not grazing. A lot of vegetables come out of Mexico (even the frozen ones) and they do not have the same rules as farmers in the USA as far as application of chemicals or cleanliness. I do not buy vegetables from Mexico because of this. Good hand washing, and cleaning your veggies is the best way to help eliminate contamination.

July 16, 2010 at 09:13 | Report abuse |
  4. Lisa

I'm with you Lynn about the recalls on lettuce. Please do tell us what is causing this problem, we have the right to know! I serve my family salads on a very regular basis and this is just wrong! We want to eat healthy but now I am once again afraid that I am going to make my kids sick (one who already has asthma) and I dont want to feed my family lettuce contaminated with e-coli. So what the heck is the reason for this contamination problem and how are US farmers going to fix this!! Please explain in detail the cause and what the fix is! I like to purchase a combination of different lettuce leaves and serve together with other veggies. CNN please get to the bottom of this!

July 15, 2010 at 12:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Stuart

Agreed: the FDA needs to go...now!

July 15, 2010 at 12:59 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Erick

Umm... I wouldn't go that far. The FDA might be an example of the wolf guarding the henhouse, but I'd rather have a wolf than leaving those hens to be picked off by everyone and their hungry mother.

July 15, 2010 at 13:03 | Report abuse |
    • Cary

The FSIS and USDA are the responsible agencies here not the FDA

July 15, 2010 at 18:02 | Report abuse |
  6. Kilo

How do you spell EColi? I M P O R T, or I L L E G A L A L I E N S.
    Buy all American foods, and close the border.
    Poof. Problem solved.
    K

July 15, 2010 at 13:10 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Erick

Wrong. Neither does anything to address the factory farming issue in America, which is where the contamination is coming from. While keeping illegal aliens from working in American fields will certainly hamstring corporate farming (that way they can't get the cheapest labor to handle your food), they'll just find another way to cut corners. Guess what's the easiest way to cut corners? Ta-da! Safety regulations!

It's not so much about international or domestic food as it is about the worldwide factory farming industry focusing on how to make the most money while caring nothing about product safety or quality. Buy from local farmers, buy organic and free range. Get to know the person who's growing and selling your food. That's the closest and safest thing to growing it yourself.

July 15, 2010 at 13:14 | Report abuse |
    • WOW!

What an ignorant and retarded statement !

July 15, 2010 at 13:50 | Report abuse |
    • Get Your Facts Straight

A U.S. citizen can just as easily contaminate a food source as any foreign citizen or country. Go wash your hands.

July 15, 2010 at 14:52 | Report abuse |
    • Jen

Inform yourself Kilo. Uninformed Americans are worse than illegal immigrants. Besides, actually knowing things might enhance your life in other ways.

July 15, 2010 at 18:34 | Report abuse |
  7. Karen

I'm with Erick. It costs a fraction more to eat local and organic produce, but it's well worth it. Second, factory farms are cruel, and we are responsible for perpetuating them by buying the meat from animals who live short lives of suffering. Buy meat from animals that had decent lives. Again, it costs more, but you'll be healthier if you eat less meat anyhow. I threw a packet of lettuce seeds in a big barrel on my patio. I am enjoying home-grown lettuce every day, and it's been absolutely ZERO work. All I do is go outside with a scissors to cut it. My gardener friends tell me I can reseed early fall for another crop of home-grown lettuce.

July 15, 2010 at 13:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Sarah

Organic all the way ^_^

July 15, 2010 at 13:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Kathy

Why are they recalling this product now? With a use-by date of 7/8 & 7/12 most people would have discarded unused
    lettuce in the trash. It makes me wonder how long they have known about this before it hit the news. I agree with Lynn
    that the Government needs to get to the bottom of this and come clean about why this happens so much. I'm going to
    start buying all my produce from local farmers from now on. I just don't know what I will do this winter when that is no
    longer an option where I live!

July 15, 2010 at 13:40 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Erick

Good to hear you're going to go local. It's a lot safer and reliable.

As for off-season, buy organic seasonal produce which will likely travel less miles which means less preservatives, less contaminants, and less chemicals. For example, don't look for tomatoes in the winter – they've probably traveled a far distance and have been kept fresh using unnatural methods. Instead shop for hearty greens like cabbage, kale and broccoli; oranges and other citrus (if you live somewhere temperate); pomegranates; and root veggies like sweet potatoes and parsnips. Google "winter seasonal produce" and you'll find a great list.

July 15, 2010 at 14:13 | Report abuse |
  10. Phil, Ohio

Following are from 2 e-mails I received from the FDA. I'd post the link, but CNN won't allow that.
    Note the dates, it seems to be an on-going problem.
    *Fresh Express Recalls Romaine-based Salads with Use-by Dates of May 13-16th Due to Possible Health Risk
    Tue, 25 May 2010 07:01:00 -0500

*Fresh Express Announces Recall of Expired Romaine Lettuce Products with Use-By Dates of July 8 to 12 and "S" in the Product Code Due to Possible Health Risk
    Thu, 15 Jul 2010 07:10:00 -0500

July 15, 2010 at 14:26 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Casey

Same website – You can't eat anything these days!
      Ready Pac Foods, Inc. is recalling 702 cases of the Baby Spinach variety of Spinach Temptations 6 oz. bagged salads with Useby Dates of July 4 with Product Code 11707B, IR127121 and July 8 with Product Code 12007B, IR130373 because they could be contaminated by Escherichia coli 0157:H7 (Ecoli 0157.H7).

July 15, 2010 at 15:45 | Report abuse |
  11. Phil, Ohio

I'll try the links and see if it goes through?

July 15, 2010 at 14:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. AJ

Ok, so it's July 15th...but these bags are for 8th-12th. So, it would stand to reason that by now it has either been eaten, or people would probably discard it due to being past the expiration date.

Seriously, congrats American companies for trying to kill your consumers. That's just not good business sense.

July 15, 2010 at 14:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Renee

@ Kilo: If you want to work long, back-breaking hours in the hot sun for minimum wage then be my guest and send all the migrant workers away. Your ignorance is appalling.

@ Lynn & Lisa: The answers are out there but you won't get them from the government; the agricultural industry won't allow it. 30 year ago this didn't happen because CAFOs (Confined Animal Feed Operations) didn't exist in the magnitude they do today). Read articles and books by Michael Pollan or Barbara Kingsolver or watch Food Inc. if you want some more mainstream information on how bad our food culture has truly become. And/or just buy local and organic...at your local farmers market I bet in-season produce is the same price as at the grocery store. I just bought 2 weeks of fresh produce for under $20 at my farmers market.

Consumers can make a difference. We can decide to NOT give money to the people who are causing these problems. And it's not even that hard!

July 15, 2010 at 14:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Jack Handler

E Coli and salmonella are so prevalent in the food supply, along with hormones, steroids, pesticides, and 100 other chemicals and biological pathogens.

I stopped buying produce a long time ago, and stopped eating salads and soups at restaurants. The worst are the salads and fruit bowls that are cut up at the grocery store since the fruit bowls are mixed with all types of bacteria from other cutting board operations.

The only way to eat vegetables is to buy FROZEN chopped vegetables, and boil them or heat them to kill germs.

July 15, 2010 at 14:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • JOHN

NOTHING LIKE HEATED OR BOILED LETTUCE JACK 🙂

July 15, 2010 at 16:27 | Report abuse |
  15. Jason

Nice job, Fresh Express. Way to get the word out days after the food expired. I used to buy Fresh Express... but this warning after the expiration date schtick is getting old. I'll stick to other brands and avoid Fresh Express from now on.

July 15, 2010 at 15:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Robert Hill

EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY, I WILL NO LONGER PURCHASE FRESH EXPRESS, OR ANY OTHER PRODUCT WITH THE
    FRESH EXPRESS LABEL. IF WE ALL BOYCOTTED THE COMPANY, MAYBE SOMETHING WILL BE DONE ABOUT THE
    ALL TOO FREQUENT E-COLI SCARES IN THE PAST FEW YEARS. IN THE FUTURE, I WILL BE PURCHASING MY LETTUCE
    AT THE LOCAL FARMER`S MARKETS.

July 15, 2010 at 16:25 | Report abuse | Reply
    • star

Robert, I thought of that, but Im even more afraid of the farmers markets! If the big companies, with all the research and knowledge and motivation and money cant seem to figure out how to keep their produce poop free, how in the world is the little guy going to be trusted to keep the deer out of the fields and the hands washed???

Just scary. Wish someone could make me feel better about all this.

July 15, 2010 at 17:03 | Report abuse |
    • C A

To Star:
      There's a big difference between commercial farming and the local growers you see at a farmer's market. Erik's postings earlier described the financial "costs/benefits" that make local farmers the better bet for safe produce. Also, when we're talking about waste run-off into crops, there's a big difference between a few head of deer roaming through a field, and the concentrated waste of HUNDREDS OR THOUSANDS of food production animals concentrated on a few acres. Ever seen what one of those breeding operations look like? Check out "Fast Food Nation" for a quick view. These animals literally stand in their feces and urine for most of their lives. This concentration of waste is absorbed into the ground and ultimately into the ground water anywhere from a few feet to a few hundred feet below the land's surface. It's the concentration level that poses the worst risk, and not necessarily the random animals roaming through a field (although that never happened to me much when I had a large garden). I haven't bought bagged "convenience" vegetables for many years just for this reason. I've gone to the farmer's markets since they began them in my area over fifteen years ago and more than two thirds of the veggies in my fridge now are from local sources within 20 miles of my home. I haven't had to worry about a recall on any foods I eat, and I'm grateful for it.
      Besides, deer spend most of their time in the woods. They're usually out to graze and feed in fields only around dusk and dawn. 🙂

July 15, 2010 at 20:39 | Report abuse |
    • star

Thanks, CA for your thoughtful reply. I do need to point out that several children died about ten years ago or so from ecoli they got from apple cider which had been tainted by deer crap. Where I live here in northern new jersey, my garden has to be fully enclosed to keep the deer out.
      I grew up in California, near Salinas, where so much of this is happening. It is frightening. I want to trust the local farmers but I still cant. Just because you do not have to worry about a recall does not mean you are safe-local food cant be recalled, but that is not a guarantee that they are using safe watering practices. And they can SAY anything, but who is to know if they are being honest, or out for a buck? I know I sound cynical, but it is cynicism born of fear. A food borne illness could kill me, as I am battling a serious disease. I appreciate your good points, though, thank you.

July 16, 2010 at 11:58 | Report abuse |
  17. star

HOW IN THE HELL DOES THIS KEEP HAPPENING???????? WHY cant these companies figure out a way to keep fecal material out of the groundwater and off the produce???? If there was a company who could guarantee safe produce, I would pay twice as much for it, I swear. this is getting ridiculous. Seriously.

July 15, 2010 at 16:59 | Report abuse | Reply
    • john

Because the USA has food standards almost as low as China. Did you know we are one of the only countries in the world that feed animal waste to cattle destined for human consumption? This will keep happening at a consistent rate until the FDA wakes up and puts a stop to cost cutting measures that decrease food safety. The USA creates some of the most unsafe food on the planet, its the reason our food exports are banned in many countries with much stricter standards.

July 15, 2010 at 20:24 | Report abuse |
  18. Cary

To All,

I would like to offer an honest perspective of food processing in this country. I am not nor have I ever been a food processor, farmer, rancher or the like. However, I have been involved in the food industry in some form or fashion for 25+ years and so I believe I have some expertise in these issues.

I'm sure you all remember the nationwide spinach recall of just a few years ago. This was e-coli related as well and almost singlehandedly bankrupted a significant portion of the spinach growers in the Salinas & Central Valleys of California. All of you I'm sure read about this on the front page but how many of you actually knows what happened? In fact, this massive recall was traced to 2, yes 2 rows of spinach that was contaminated by fecal matter from feral pigs. These pigs nested approximately 5 miles away and had fecal matter on their hooves that was scattered amid the 2 spinach rows as they were foraging for food. I would challenge anyone to tell me how to prevent an incident like this from happening. Certainly Global Climate change could be slowed by buying local but buying local won't prevent e-coli. Certainly illegal immigration is an issue, but "American" labor couldn't prevent this.

There was a time that news was pretty much localized but the advent of the 24 cable news network has changed all that. Let's face it, all those hungry news channels need news to sensationalize and this type of story feeds the monster perfectly. That's not to say that food safety isn't an issue, it is! However the PTI (Produce Traceability Initiative) has been stalled in Congress (hey what else is new) and after all, this would be a burden on the agricultural community, and by the way, hurt the small local farmers the most because they couldn't afford to comply .

A very complex issue indeed.

Bottom line-Wash you fresh produce carefully and cook your meats to 165 degrees internal temperature.

July 15, 2010 at 17:12 | Report abuse | Reply
    • star

single word, to your challenge, Cary-FENCE. Adequate fenching. DUH.

July 15, 2010 at 17:34 | Report abuse |
    • Cary

Star,

Seriously, is that your solution? I'm sure no animal can go over, under or through a fence. Maybe you meant "wall". But hey, what if the animal was a burrowing animal living inside the fence?

Honestly, would you expect any farmer to fence or wall his property? How would you get the machinery in and out?

July 15, 2010 at 18:05 | Report abuse |
    • Dude

Walls and fences sometimes have something called a "gate."

July 15, 2010 at 18:37 | Report abuse |
    • Ruth

There's a great book called "The end of food" that explains what's going. I'm a restaurant health inspector and it was an eye opener for me.

July 15, 2010 at 18:54 | Report abuse |
    • Joe

Thank you Cary, unfortunately it is the perception of the folks on this thread that represent the public. Uninformed and uneducated, the USDA does nothing to help the cause of those trying to do the right thing in the food industry

July 16, 2010 at 01:00 | Report abuse |
  19. Heather

I stopped buying Fresh Express products about a year ago when a friend of mine found a MOUSE in her bag of spinach. I only buy organic vegetables in freshly-packed containers now simply because I can't help but wonder when a mouse is going to pop out of my bag.

Simply disgusting.

July 15, 2010 at 17:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Cary

Star,

July 15, 2010 at 17:52 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ruth

It isn't coming from animals. Animals and humans carry different set of pathogens. This e-coli comes from a human source.

July 15, 2010 at 18:53 | Report abuse |
    • Don't You Know?

Humans are animals.

July 15, 2010 at 19:00 | Report abuse |
    • star

Ruth, you are half right and half mistaken. Some e-coli outbreaks are the pathogen found in humans and come from food service workers failing to wash their hands after defecating. But most of the produce wide outbreaks, and the hamburger outbreaks are from animals, so far, cattle, deer, and pigs. It gets int he groundwater and is in the actual cells of the spinach, lettuce, onions, etc.
      Its true that I have personally seen migrant workers "go" in the fields, as I have also seen porta-potties in the fields poorly maintained. However, this produce problem is much more difficult and widespread.

July 16, 2010 at 12:03 | Report abuse |
  21. Jen

Home farming, people. You do your own quality control. Think about it. Grow fresh veggies and then can/freeze what you can't use right away.

July 15, 2010 at 18:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. rachbell

Stop buying lettuce in supermarkets. Buy your lettuce from farmer's markets. In fact, you should be buying almost all of your produce from local farms. No farms. No 'good' food. Eat veggies according to you geographic area and season. If June has locally grown asparagus, then eat it every day. Then there are local strawberries, blueberries and raspberries. Sweet corn comes in late June. Squashes in the fall. So, you don't eat alot of lettuce in the winter, but there are other veggies you can eat during the winter months.

July 15, 2010 at 22:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Carmel

Every one rent the movie FOOD INC. after watching that movie you will fully understand why all these things keep happening to our food. Just rent the movie.

July 15, 2010 at 23:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Bev

Has anyone thought about where the field workers deficate? And after they have a bowel movement in the field where do they wash their hands for the amount of time it takes to sing the alphabet? Get the picture?

July 16, 2010 at 00:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Guest

Here's a solution: You can have fresh greens all summer for $1.29 for a packet of seed (I like a mix with arugula), a container full of dirt, and a small amount of time, attention and water. You can even do it on your deck. Don't worry about "corporate farming" "illegal aliens" or anything else – grow your own! For a continuous supply, get two or more containers going. Why doesn't anyone mention this? It is easy, cheap and tastes WAY better – I can't even eat salads in winter, I'm too spoiled by eating greens picked 20 minutes before all summer! It also works for herbs, which allow you to eat tastier without added salt or fat. I can buy a packet of basil seeds for less than it costs for one bunch of basil in the supermarket and have basil for years – I let a few plants go to seed and harvest the seeds. I have even kept basil going through the winter in Pittsburgh (in my house by windows). All organic, mind you – if a plant gets infested, I yank it. Compost only for fertilizer. Do it yourself, American – you don't have to be a farmer or "gardener" to grow your own food!

July 16, 2010 at 00:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Joe

Bev, there are things called bathrooms and sinks (with soap) that are portable and are required to be present at all fields where workers are present, either harvesting, cultivating, fertilizing, watering or otherwise. There are probably more facilites per capita present than in your office. Check your facts.

July 16, 2010 at 00:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. saurabh

Eat only boiled/steamed greens. Salad doesnt have to be limited to only greens. Pulses and other veggies with a a peel (cucumber, carrot etc..) can be used as well. Greens can be steamed or boiled – add a little lemon & salt and steamed spinach tastes yummy!! we can crib all about the issues with the food industry – but preacuation is the only solution.

July 16, 2010 at 01:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Swamprattler

It's Bush's fault, ask odumbo, he'll tell ya

July 16, 2010 at 05:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. marlene rygh

Lettuce is just another one! I read recently that strawberries are cancer causing, due to the way they are processed, and apples cannot be washed enough to get the pesticides off . Everytime you turn around it is another warning on something. We are told to eat healthy – lots of fruits and vegetables. Yaa!

July 16, 2010 at 16:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. BEth

OH...and they actually did tests/studies on this...and it IS NOT only the bagged,pre-packed stuff that carries the bacteria...it's FRESH too!
    And even organic DID NOT make a difference...
    Sad, but true....

July 26, 2010 at 11:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. EastGhostCom

CODEX ALIMENTARIUS will outlaw all organic and small, local farmers and require the use of MONSANTO or other GMO seeds, feeds, livestock. Everything good is being quietly made illegal. Think I'm wrong? Look it up yourself.

August 9, 2010 at 17:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. glena

Okay...hamburger with Ecoli and Romaine lettuce with Ecoli. Who is trying to kill us off now ?

August 10, 2010 at 00:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Debbie belcher

It's going to be called again if I have e coli, I've been sick since I ate the fresh express romaine premium salad bought from Piggly wiggly in Kenosha WI. If I do have this I plan to sue.

December 19, 2017 at 03:02 | Report abuse | Reply