home
RSS
July 10th, 2010

Nyad sets out for marathon training

Marathon swimmer Diana Nyad embarked from Key West, Florida, this morning for a continuous 24-hour training swim in advance of her attempt at a record-breaking Cuba-to-Key West effort. She is accompanied by a flurry of handlers, navigators, boat captains,  ocean kayakers, and medical support personnel.

Nyad, now 60,  has been training for more than six months for the swim, and today will mark the longest of her training swims.

Nyad will travel 40 miles off shore by boat and  be dropped off. Her  return swim that will last nearly 24 hours.

Departing the hotel this morning  in a white bathrobe, slippers and a bathing suit, the usually talkative, intense Nyad was calm and focused.

"It's amazing that with this intense amount of pressure, this extreme amount of physical demand on her body, she is as charming, as capable and as celebratory as ever," said Karen Christensen, a family friend and crew member.  "I'm 30, and she has more energy at 60 than I do."

Update: At 8:19 a.m. on Sunday july 1, Nyad's handlers gave the signal that she had reached the 24-hour mark.

She came out of the water on her own power, but with the help of handlers, and was in great spirits.

Dr. Michael Broder, the team's physician, administered four bags of IV solution to help rehydrate her, and after only two hours, Diana spoke to CNN. Visit The Chart for future  updates.

1. Mike Lee

It's spelled "delirious", NOT "delerious".

Sheesh.

July 10, 2010 at 14:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. T.D. Mitchell

Thought there was going to be some camera / video coverage of this training swim. Where is it?

July 10, 2010 at 15:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Deboah

Didn't know if you'd get this if I left it on the AC360 page...but I think you did an outstanding job filling in for Anderson last week. I'm sure he needed a break...he's been hammering away at BP pretty hard! Your filling in really surprised me, as I usually expect a "fill in" to be a little less than the the regular host in at least one or two aspects. You are a very talented individual and how you find time to do all that you do is am inspiration. I live in the Atlanta area and hope you will be speaking at the Gwinnett Areana sometime so I can come listen to you. I am disabled. Please know how much I appreciate your analytical and very scientific approach to breaking down and asking the very questions I was wondering about...I actually think you did better than Anderson, but don't tell him that, please. Best regards, Deborah

July 10, 2010 at 19:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. cindy

Diana, Asusual you are "ALL IN". Shelly and I wish you the best. Carpe Deim. Cindy

July 11, 2010 at 02:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Dan

Nobody wants to see you in a bathing suit now.

July 11, 2010 at 11:28 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Heidi

Dan, You're right! She should have done the 24 hour swim in the nude!

July 11, 2010 at 14:24 | Report abuse |
    • Maureen

What a stupid statement.

August 23, 2010 at 20:12 | Report abuse |
  6. Jeff

Good luck Diana! I did the Swim around Key West last month an can't imagine a swim of that distance in water that warm! Amazing!

July 11, 2010 at 11:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Karen Christensen

I am proud and honored to have helped cover this 24 Hour training swim. Thank you also to Matt Sloane, the whole CNN crew, and our documentary film team led by Director Timothy Wheeler. Diana you are a world class inspiration to everyone who comes into contact with you. As a champion athlete, as a motivational speaker, as a journalist, as a family member, and as a friend – your legacy will shine on!

To check out photography, feature film sneak peaks, and my personal reflections of the experience go to http://www.thelegacyboutique.com/blog. For specific information on how you can get involved with Diana's Extreme Dream, and to read Diana's experience in her own words, go to the official site at http://www.diananyad.com.

GO TEAM NYAD! It's never too late to DREAM.

July 14, 2010 at 18:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Lainie

I remember watching Diana years ago! I had no idea she was attempting this again! Wow! She is amazing!! What great shape she is in!! To be able to swim for 24 hours at ANY age is amazing!! She is one determined woman, for sure!! She looks great in a bathing suit by the way, and Dan, iif you have nothing nice to say, then why bother to comment at all?

August 29, 2010 at 19:24 | Report abuse | Reply