home
RSS
July 7th, 2010

Dental clinics at border offer cheaper rates

A small but growing chain of full-service dental centers lining the border along California, Arizona and Texas are located in Mexico, but 97 percent of DentiCenter's patients come from the United States.

For a mere fraction of the cost, patients can get the same crowns and dental procedures, reports Eilene Zimmerman for CNNMoney.  The recession has Americans searching for savings, and that has contributed to the 20 percent increase in dental tourism a year.  For the full story, check out For cut-rate dental care, head to Mexico

1. Augsbee

Really, I would love to audit his books, look at his payroll, fees for sanitation/sterilization services, cleaning/disposable service fees, insurance policy fee,etc.... Let's do some serious math here and this is in Mexico where there are no laws, regulations, permits, inspectors, etc... as in our country. Right!!!!!

July 7, 2010 at 17:00 | Report abuse | Reply
    • almxx

All we have in the good old USA, is unbounded profits. You are so ripped off for your entire life because you don't seem to realize (like so many) that super-rich become that way by charging you WAY MORE for what you buy, than the actual value of that item, or service. It is called profit.....in reality it's thievery. If you call thievery, business; it is legitimized. If they produce something that costs them a dime, they would gladly charge you a thousand bucks for it, if they thought you would pay it. Those billionaires that are a growing segment, have been overcharging all of us for our entire lives.

July 8, 2010 at 14:38 | Report abuse |
  2. Jan930

I've been twice in the last two yrs. and I'm going back in Sept. Very happy with what I've had done. Really not much different than U.S. except cost. Just as clean and very concern about you. So glad I found a great dentist and she did go to school here in U.S. It's saving me over half what it would cost here

July 7, 2010 at 23:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. WaitAMinute

I would love to use a less expensive option, but I do NOT trust them to be sanity and prevent the spread of hepatitis, etc. Heck, I do not even trust very expensive doctors and dentists to do this right. II always wonder if someone might have contaminated a syringe or not checked the sterilization indicator strip. Use cheap border clinics at your own risk!

July 8, 2010 at 11:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Augsbee

To "WaitAMinute", I completely agree with you. I doubt Sanitation in Mexico is a priority, which most likely is why they are able to offer cheap prices, who knows how they go about sterilizing anything.

July 8, 2010 at 11:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Jan930

It must be dentists in U.S. writing on here because they can't stand for people to go to Mexico to save money. They want the money. Before anyone writes something they should know what they are talking about. Go check them out. Sterilizing is a top priority with the dentists I"ve gone to. I'm having implants done right now. No way could I have it done in U.S. because of cost.

July 8, 2010 at 12:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Wiseman

I’m a US citizen (Born and raised in Indiana). My wife is a Mexican Dentist in Rosarito Mexico. There are laws, regulations, and inspectors in Mexico. I’m sure Dentist in the US will see the inspectors more often and face more regulation but there is regulation of Dentist in Mexico. That being said, you do need check a few things before you go to a particular Dentist in Mexico. First and foremost find out where this Dentist went to college. Ask to see their diploma and license. There are a few good Dental Colleges in Mexico, usually run by the Mexican Government. Secondly be sure that they use an Autoclave to sterilize. Next ask if they have taken any continuing education classes.

July 8, 2010 at 15:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Dentist1

I am an American dentist and I can tell you that profit margins are fairly thin considering all factors. The biggest cost, as with most US companies, is staffing. Clear;y the Mexican centers are saving money in this area. Also, I would be a little concerned about materials used....american dental supplies are closely checked and are of very high quality. I applaud the effort of this dentist but he clearly has a profit motive as well. He apparently owns (or partly owns) a dental supply company, dental lab, insurance filing services etc. He simply has a cheaper overhead and has systems to either control cost or profit from them. I have met hundreds of US dentist, have a private practice, and teach at a US dental school and can tell you that for the most part they are very caring, compassionate, and talented individuals. I have never seen or thought of a need to gave cameras in the operatories to monitor their behavior or clinical judgement.....makes me wonder why this would be necessary. This is America which means that we have the right to choose what doctors we see. I would just caution to make cost the primary factor in my decision making. We all should understand that the only way this is possible is to reduce cost in other important areas.

July 14, 2010 at 09:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. rahul helthsouk

Hello,

My name is Rahul and I am from the Free Discount Plan for health care called Healthsouk.com.
    I am a health care enthusiast and work in P.R. for HealthSouk. I was wondering if you would be interested in

interviewing our CEO – Dr. Neilesh Patel DDS regarding this innovative dental discount plan. He has started 3

previous startups that have brought access to health care to millions of people worldwide. This is the first of

its kind and it has no monthly fees for patients.

Marv Migdol who is the CEO of Consumer Health Alliance recently made a quote about HealthSouk saying he was

“impressed with our background and achievements”. Marv is the father of the discount plan industry and started

it almost 50 years ago.

This is a difficult time for patients to get access to discount dental services and our service grew from 1000

members last month to almost 10,000 in a just couple weeks. I look forward to hearing from you soon and working

with you to setup an interview with Dr. Patel

Sincerely,
    Rahul
    Public Relations – HealthSouk.com
    press@healthsouk.com

September 30, 2011 at 06:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Jenny Thomas

I’m a single mom and I have 2 kids who both needed dental braces. I make just enough to not qualify Medicaid services so I can’t get free dental and medical services for the kids. I had to pay over $4800 so that my child can have braces and a beautiful smile. . .She was very scared and timid at school. I couldn’t find anyone in Los Angeles who would do the braces at a normal price so I had to launch find it with free services like
    http://www.healthsouk.com (HealthSouk- the dental discount plan or discounted dentistry) and http://www.1800dentist.com (800 dentist) The first one was free and the second apparently charges the dentist but not me.healthsouk
    – Jenny Thomas

October 18, 2011 at 06:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Downtown la dentist

I am glad to catch idea from your article. This looks absolutely perfect. All these tiny details are made with lot of background information. Keep up the great writing!
    Teeth Whitening Los Angeles

June 6, 2012 at 09:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Portland Dentist

June 7, 2012 at 01:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Tooth Crown

Good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your posts. I’ll be subscribing and visiting often.

June 7, 2012 at 05:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. louis baptiste

Great article! I am sure this is going to help a lot of people.
    keep up great writing