home
RSS
July 2nd, 2010

At age 10, boy chronicles weight loss

Ten-year-old iReporter Marshall Reid calls his summer challenge Portion Size Me.

The precocious Sanford, North Carolina, resident lists the grams of sodium, calories and fat in his food in homemade videos.  He reads nutrition labels and advises that avocados and sweet potatoes are good.  Marshall’s summer mission is to eat better and share what he’s learning on iReport and YouTube.

When he started to gain weight, his family joked that he looked like Winston Churchill.  But the good-natured ribbing started to get serious.  Marshall had become more sedentary, sneaking food from the refrigerator and developing bad eating habits, his mother, Alex Reid said.

Inspired by the movie, "Super Size Me," Marshall and his older sister, Jordan decided to do the opposite of the documentary and eat healthy everyday for 31 days of summer. Marshall hopes to get to a healthier weight from his current 162 pounds, but is not fixating on any number.   Marshall's quest has also inspired his father who is serving in the military to exercise more, the family said.

1. RC

Great Job, Marshall. I have a 15 year old daughter and she is 160lbs. We've just recently started on her on a low-fat, smaller portion diet. I hope your plan works and you get good results.

July 5, 2010 at 01:26 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jaci

Keep in mind that everyone needs a bit of fat in their diets, as some nutrients are fat soluable, but the key is to choose unsaturated over saturated fat. Nuts, olive oil, and fish are GREAT sources of unsaturaturated fat. I use http://www.sparkpeople.com to help me stay on track with my food choices, as they help calculate calorie, protein, carb and fat ranges (based on weight loss goals, current weight and height and activity levels) to work with in order to achieve your weight loss or weight maintenance goals, depending on where you are in the journey. It's also got a TON of other resources and support from other members that have helped me on my own weight loss journey!

Best of luck to you and your daughter, RC!

July 5, 2010 at 15:04 | Report abuse |
  2. your aunt in Denver

hey Marshall, I am SO proud of you!!!! I have been watching your videos on YouTube every day, and i want you to know that you have more than inspired me..... you have kicked me in the butt! I have been unable( more like unwilling) to practice the good choices and self discipline that you are demonstrating for so long... no more excuses.. even while i cant yet work out, i CAN change how what and how much i eat. Thank you for being so willing to do something so courageous as this, and on tv and the internet!!!!! I am proud of you and happy that i am your aunt. I promise to quit making excuses of why i am so fat, and make better choices!!! thanks!

July 5, 2010 at 20:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Madeline

Hey Marshall, I'm SO happy i found this I'm 10 to and I'm also over wieght. This has made me decied to change my health and life style. I'm glad you decied to do this cuz this is one diet thing that will work. this will be a first 😉

July 5, 2010 at 23:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Your Cousin--Annie

Wow, Marshall! I am so excited by your story on CNN. I didn't even know you were making videos on YouTube, so I will have to check them out! You are amazing as always! Since I know you, I already knew how smart, sensitive, and thoughtful you are–now the whole world can see too! I'm so impressed and proud of you for starting this and sharing it to help others. Many people in the world THINK about what they should do but never do it or share it. You are DOING it and SHARING it! Congratulations.

July 5, 2010 at 23:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Mike

A great story and very inspiring. I just finished a book that might find interesting, its called The Fat Boy Chronicles and tells the story of an obese 9th grader who gets bullied in school. In his English class, he has to write a journal which is how the tale unfolds. His journey is a lot like yours. I bet you will like it. Keep up the good work.

July 6, 2010 at 19:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Maria

Marshall....I am truly amazed by you. I am a 34 year old woman who has struggled with weight my entire life and remember thinking as a young child as you, how can I fix it and do better. It is refreshing to read in this day and age especially by a male to take control. The first step is always acknowledging and finding the way to help youself. I applaud your family for standing by you and helping you to stay focus. I still struggle today but what I do know is emotions play a big role and sometimes we fall BUT we all get back up! It is okay to fail, trust me I have had to get back up too many times and each day, especially now that I have a three year old son I try not to fall hard! All the best of luck to you, I can;t wait to see your outcome. REMEBER even if you trip there will always be people holding you back, keep your chin up, you have a lot to be proud of!

July 8, 2010 at 14:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Micah

Great Job, Marshall!!! I'm trying to lose weight and be healthy too. You remind me of my brother when I was younger. He lost a lot of weight too and never gained it back. 🙂 You're an inspiration!! Keep it up!! It's people like you who inspire other people, so do it for you and also do it for others to find THEIR motivation!!

July 8, 2010 at 22:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Sarah

Marshall, you are AWESOME! I am seriously so proud of you! Keep up that ambition and drive – it will serve you so well throughout your life. Thanks for being an inspiration! You remind me that I (as an adult, especially) have the opportunity to make healthy food choices and take care of my body. Keep it up! (I hope someone from Food Network contacts you for a special on inspirational people in the culinary world!)

July 13, 2010 at 16:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. MyOpinion

I commend you. I have a son who struggles with his weight due to a medical condition. We have adopted a strict excercise routine that we do together to help fight this battle. It is not only helping his condition, but its helping his self esteem and motivation. I hope that your quest brings you the results you are searching for and that all these wonderful comments will remind you that so many people support your amazing decision to do what you are doing! Take care and best wishes!!

July 13, 2010 at 22:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Karen In Iowa

Marshall-Awesome story!! At 10 years old, you can see there is a problem and you're doing something about it ......CONGRATULATIONS!!! You are wise beyond your years. Congratulations also to your parents...they are raising a great son!! Best of luck with your new life style....

July 14, 2010 at 09:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Jose

Hey Marshall u are a great guy!!! Congratulations for your efforts and achievements, keep going : ) ...

January 31, 2011 at 14:56 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Marshall's Mom

Thank You!

February 4, 2011 at 19:49 | Report abuse |
  12. Dr Funkenstein

Nice job...stay away from those fries my friend.

January 31, 2011 at 15:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Dr Funkenstein

I just wonder about his parents. How are they helping Brother Marshall.

January 31, 2011 at 15:08 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Marshall's Mom

Dr. Funk! Our entire family is learning how to slow down and appreciate the fuel we put in our bodies. Its not going happen overnight for the four of us in our family, but together, I believe we can alter our course forever. Thank you.

February 4, 2011 at 19:53 | Report abuse |