home
RSS
June 25th, 2010

Kids may need 2 H1N1 doses again this year

By Miriam Falco
CNN Medical News Managing Editor

Children over 6 months and under 9 years old who haven't received an H1N1 vaccine yet can expect to get two doses of seasonal flu vaccine this fall, if the Centers for Disease Control adopts recommendations from its vaccine advisory committee.

The CDC's Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices voted to add this recommendation to the usual seasonal flu rules at a regularly scheduled meeting in Atlanta on Thursday.

Young children under the age of 9 who never got the H1N1 or never got seasonal flu vaccine will need to get two seasonal flu shots or sprays, says Dr. Anthony Fiore, a vaccine specialist at the CDC, who presented data to the committee.  Children under the age of 6 months are too young to get any flu vaccination.

Each year the three most common strains of flu virus are chosen to be included in the seasonal flu vaccine. Because the H1N1 pandemic virus (also known as swine flu) is still the most prevalent flu virus circulating, the World Health Organization recommended this strain be one of the three strains included in the upcoming flu shots and sprays.  U.S. health officials adopted those recommendations earlier this year.

When young children between the ages of 6 months and 9 years get any flu vaccine for the very first time, they have to get two doses anyway. That's because their bodies do not have any real built-in immunity against flu viruses yet. According to the CDC, the first dose of flu vaccine "primes" their immune system and the second dose (given about a month later)  provides immune protection.  This allows their bodies to built up enough immunity to fend off the flu. If children only get one flu shot the first time they get a flu vaccination, they will get little or no protection from the flu, which can be particularly dangerous for children young than 5 years.

Since the H1N1 vaccine is part of the next seasonal flu shot or spray, even children under 9 who already received two regular seasonal flu vaccines in the past but never got the H1N1 vaccine will have to get two doses of seasonal flu vaccine, because H1N1 is in the seasonal vaccine this coming flu season. Likewise, if the first and only flu vaccine young children received last year was the H1N1 vaccine, they will have to get two seasonal flu shots or spray (depending on their age) too,  because they need to be protected against the two other predominant flu strains circulating other than the swine flu virus.

The CDC estimates at least 60 million people or about 20 percent of  U.S. population was infected with the pandemic H1N1 flu virus since the spring of 2009.

Children were among the hardest hit by this new virus. CDC estimates from April to November 2009 that between 830 to 1,730 children under the age of 17 died from this flu. Health officials say the best way to protect yourself from getting the flu is to get vaccinated.

However, some parents or medical records may not accurately reflect if a child actually got the H1N1 vaccine, which was not included in last year's flu vaccine because H1N1 emerged after seasonal flu production had already begun.

Since the H1N1 strain will be included in the next seasonal flu shot, and if parents or pediatricians cannot be sure a child got an H1N1 flu shot or spray, flu experts recommend erring on the side of caution and giving young children (between ages 6 months and under age 9) two flu vaccines later this year.

"We're really promoting [flu] vaccine for anybody over six months," says Dr. Anne Schuchat, director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases.

The CDC still has to approve and implement the recommendations of its advisory group.

1. DB

Folks do yourself a favor, get a shot and save life of someone you love. H1N1 is like Russian Roulette, no one knows ahead of time if it can be fatal. Plus when people take it, it reduces transmissiblity for entire population. If someone got sick taking a flu shot, imagine the consequences of dealing with an onslaught by the active virus on infection. You saved your 2yr child!

June 25, 2010 at 12:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. yankie duddle

if the flu vaccine's so great then why are pple still getting sick from the flu?

June 25, 2010 at 12:25 | Report abuse | Reply
    • CDMH

I believe it is something like 80% of the population has to be vaccinated to protect others from the disease. Don't know how many got vaccinated for H1N1. If fewer than 80% (or so) of the population received the vaccine, it would probably only help those who received it to either avoid the H1N1 flu altogether or at least not get as sick from it. My husband and I both got it (no side effects) because we had an infant under 6 months old at the time.

June 25, 2010 at 15:14 | Report abuse |
  3. becca

"When young children between the ages of 6 months and 9 years get any flu vaccine for the very first time................ That's because their bodies do not have any real built-in immunity against flu viruses yet."

horrible horrible journalism right here. this is one of the most blatant falsehoods i have ever read on CNN.

children between the age of 6 months and 9 years absolutely have some measure of "built-in" immunity against the flu if they live in the real world, and even more if they've ever had a flu before.

June 25, 2010 at 12:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. m

It i soooo bass ackwards. You get a flu vaccine to prevent against a flu you MIGHT get. And it's a guess that the strain of flu in the vaccine is the strain of flu that you will get.

What a joke!

Talk about gambling!

I mean, maybe if you have other conditions you should get it. But wait, they aren't supposed to. So let's vaccinate the rest of us to make sure sick people don't catch the flu. The flu is AIRBORNE people! It's already out there! And they are already in poor health! Vaccinating healthy people so they won't spread it around won't help already ill people to not breath in a flu virus and catch it.

June 25, 2010 at 12:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. ndlily

Jeanne, name the "young healthy people" who died of H1N1 last year, and then take out those who waited too long to go the doctor because they didn't have insurance and who didn't take care of themselves, or weren't taken care of, when they got sick, but instead were dumped back in school or in daycare because their parents couldn't afford to take time off work. Death from the flu in a lot of people, but most particularly children, is an economic and social issue far more than it is a medical issue. But let's, instead of solving the real problem, all panic and demand that the same people who are contributing heavily to the economic and social problem save us from the symptom and not the disease. And Barb Van Sant, you really bought your boss's BS hook, line, and sinker. Doctors may not directly get money from pharmaceutical companies, but there are so many hidden incentives it is nauseating. And I had numerous doctors tell me NOT to get the H1N1 vaccine because it was too hyped and wasn't properly vetted.

June 25, 2010 at 12:38 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Doc D

I saw several myself–young (college-age), very healthy at baseline, excellent social support (no missed doctor visits, no social ills) suddenly afflicted and rapidly died, unable to breathe even with a ventilator at maximum settings. Some survived with extensive ICU support. Others were much less ill, improved within a day or two and went home. We never found a particular factor that made any one person more likely to become desperately ill. I cannot name names (privacy rules, etc.) but this wasn't media hype.

June 25, 2010 at 14:41 | Report abuse |
  6. DB

Do people know what kills in H1N1? – its your own body immune system – lungs fill up with liquid and suffocates the patient. I know someone who felts shortness of breath and recognized symptoms in time.

June 25, 2010 at 12:38 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bathis

Never buy anything alunumim-based that will come in contact with food. Use parchment paper instead of alunumim foil. Buy alunumim-free deodorant, and use a stainless steel pressure cooker and cookware, not alunumim ones.In a study of Alzheimer patients, many were found to have elevated levels of alunumim in their brain.When researching water bottles, I never even came across Sigg. I would just stick with Klean Kanteen and to be extra safe get the stainless steel cap for it.Just my two cents.

September 12, 2012 at 05:09 | Report abuse |
  7. SD

I was born in 1977. I am 33 years old. I NEVER had a flu shot as a kid. NEVER had one as an adult. Still alive and well. I know many people who have gotten VIOLENTLY ill after having this vaccine and other garbage pumped into them. No thanks on the shot....I'll pass :)

June 25, 2010 at 12:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. LMM

I have done the research.
    I have a 10mo and 2 1/2 yr old.
    They were breastfed and are given healthy, non-processed foods.
    They rarely get sick.
    If they do get sick they are given natural remedies and nutritious food to help their body fight the infection.
    I would never give them known poison in order to give them a chance of not getting something.
    From what I read most people have been exposed to H1N1 but those with a lacking immune system can't fight it off.

When researching for yourself:
    make sure the information and recommendations are from a reliable source.

If the people selling it are making the recommendations...Watch Out!

June 25, 2010 at 12:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. vbmom

On a professional aspect, I do medical billing for a family practice office. I know first hand from fighting insurance companies many years that H1N1 is not a reimbursable immunization. BECAUSE it is supplied at no cost to physician's. Therefore, any insurance company that goes by Medicare guidelines do not reimburse a physician for a product they get for free. The only reimbursement a physician will receive affiliated with H1N1 is the administration charge. And, those monies are slim to none, thanks to the 21% reimbursement decrease from our wonderful government. Now more and more elderly and disabled people are going to find it harder to find physicians with open panels that will even see Medicare patients. Don't blame the shot, dont blame the manufacturer, dont blame the physicians, blame uncle sam!

June 25, 2010 at 12:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Kristi

1. I teach in a central Texas school district, and the number of students missing school – LOTS of school – due to H1N1 last year was horrifying. On average, a student who had H1N1 missed seven days (not one week – that's only five days of school – SEVEN SCHOOL DAYS) of classes. Educationally that is a huge problem, both for the student and for the district.

2. Both my children had H1N1 flu last year. It was awful watching them and knowing that, outside of catching it early and giving them tamiflu, there was nothing I could do to make it pass more easily or quickly. This was, without a doubt, the most serious case of flu my daughter (ten years old) has ever had, and it ranked right up there with anything my son (fifteen years old) had ever experienced. If I could have prevented this by vaccinating them, I would have. I vaccinate them to prevent other awful diseases (polio, anyone? really? you don't like vaccinating children?) and would have spared them this if the vaccine had been available before they came down with the flu.

3. My husband and I both came down with H1N1 flu soon after our kids had it. My husband's case was not very strong, thank goodness, but mine was awful. I missed a week of school – AFTER staying out with my kids for over a week – and effectively used up all of my sick leave and then some. Being a teacher, I get the flu shot every year, because I know I will be exposed to it and don't care to have it. The only time I've gotten the flu despite the shot was a year that the vaccine makers didn't predict the strain very well. Although I'd had the seasonal flu vaccine before coming down with H1N1, the H1N1 vaccine wasn't available yet or I'd have taken it, believe me. I spent a week just wishing I could have been vaccinated against this, and it was well over six weeks before I was even approaching anything near 100% better.

I understand that there is greed in the industry. There's greed in every industry in the world. I understand things aren't perfect. I feel terrible when I hear about the fact that there are ridiculous things in the preservatives used in vaccines, etc. But when it comes down to it, I vaccinate, both myself and my family. Thankfully, we haven't had any adverse reactions. I understand that these do occur. But I also understand the statistics and know that the likelihood of "adverse effect" from the diseases that vaccines prevent are a great deal higher than the likelihood of adverse effects from vaccination.

And "Wow": flu is caused by a VIRUS, not bacteria. Someone with the flu doesn't need antibiotics. They're used to kill bacteria. The only thing that might cause you to need an antibiotic after having had the flu is if you get a secondary infection AFTER having the flu, like a sinus infection or a chest infection or something. Being vaccinated against flu is not contributing to the rise of some super-flu-bug. Sheesh.

June 25, 2010 at 12:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. SJP

It's scary to see how many people here are against vaccination. Please do your research. Don't just accuse CDC and BIG PHARMA.

June 25, 2010 at 13:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. FtNWO

I'm glad to see that so many people have woken up! REMEMBER No Disease Is cured by Pharma cause there's no return trip from you if they do. How long has Cancer research existed? Yet still no headway for a cure. Just Radiation which kills you anyway! Only RAW Veggies has the best effect on Ills & they're messing with that also with "GMO" foods.

June 25, 2010 at 14:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Doc D

As a physician who treated patients suffering from H1N1 influenza last year, and was infected myself (possibly by the patient, or very possibly by a stranger, or just as likely by my own daughter) and survived, I find it tragic to read the constant propaganda and venom directed against those who are doing everything in their power to fight disease and help patients.

Vaccination is not the cure for disease, not even all infectious diseases, but for many things is the best treatment we can offer a population, since treating the disease itself is difficult and we have few tools against most viral diseases. Smallpox was a scourge, now gone, all due to vaccination.

I survived the flu last year, as did my daughter; however, I have seen firsthand that young patients die from H1N1 influenza–those skeptics who say otherwise simply prove their ignorance and discredit the rest of their opinions–if they refuse to believe this then I invite them to volunteer at a hospital this winter and see for themselves. The particular tragedy of H1N1 was in years-lost. Though fewer patients were afflicted than feared, the deaths were in the ranks of the very young, horribly shortening their lives (dying at 18 when you have a life-expectancy of over 50 more years) compared with the typical flu death toll of the very elderly population.

Those "drug companies and the doctors they employ" make few profits from vaccines, certainly minimal amounts compared to other drugs. Many pharmaceutical companies have abandoned vaccines altogether due to lack of profits. All capitalistic organizations (for-profit enterprises) run to make a profit. If such a company manipulates scientific data to enhance a profit, or produces a defective product, then our legal system butchers them (not inappropriately). That said, to assume that all companies and physicians in that field are corrupt and interested only in money is both offensive and inappropriate.

I and my colleagues in medicine will continue to do everything in our power (however limited) to help you when you get sick, whether or not you choose to vaccinate this year. I hope, for both our sakes, that I don't have to watch you or your child die if a vaccine could have prevented that death.

June 25, 2010 at 14:26 | Report abuse | Reply
    • DC

Thank you for posting something that makes sense. And thank you for the service you provide your patients regardless of their carelessness with their children's lives..

June 25, 2010 at 15:35 | Report abuse |
    • m

Everything in your power? You mean everything insurance will pay for.

June 25, 2010 at 15:36 | Report abuse |
    • Lou

With all due respect Doc you have got to come up to speed on vaccination for infectious disease.

Vaccination is not the cure for disease, not even all infectious diseases, but for many things is the best treatment we can offer a population:

Have you looked into vitamin D3? The Japanese ran a trial where 1800 IU of vitamin D3/day proved 800% more efficacious than the most efficacious drug against seasonal flu. IMO had they used say 5000 IU the results would have blown off our socks. In informal trails all over this country conducted by physicians who are using vitamin D3 virtually NO patient who is repleted to at least 50 ng/ml suffered serious flu complications. That vitamin D3 is the CURE for serious flu complications is a FACT that will not be suppressed by all the big pharma and HHS shills for much longer. Try it on your self first. I have it WORKS

I have seen firsthand that young patients die from H1N1 influenza

We KNOW that most who die have an underlying condition which weakens them. Perhaps repleting their vitamin D and C to strong levels may be enough for them to tough it out. If you examine the historical epidemiological charts of polio, measles and pertussis you may come to the same understanding as I have. Serious cases of these diseases may be nothing but an expression of a vitamin C shortage. When under infective pressure an individuals need for ascorbate may exceed several grams/hour. This can be supplied by an IV drip. Strangely hospitals will usually refuse to do this and will sit and watch a patient die. You Sir will not when it is your call.

Sadly one underlying condition which can result in viral death is asthma. Childhood Asthma is most often a result of childhood vaccination.

H1N1 last year struck MAINLY the young and not the old as is usual for a flu. Do you not find this strange? Has our five year old cohort been so immunologically compromised by excess "vaccination" or were the young the TARGET of the bio-engineered H1N1? I do not know. Either way we are playing with fire.

Those "drug companies and the doctors they employ" make few profits from vaccines'

Here Sir you are 100% wrong. Many pharmaceutical companies have based their long term business plans on "vaccination". There are currently over 300 new vaccines in various stages of development and trials. Merck for one has abandoned the CVD game and shifted those resources to "vaccines".

I hope, for both our sakes, that I don't have to watch you or your child die.

Sir you will not. Sir you will explore the many salubrious alternatives to "vaccination". There is absolutely NO risk to vitamin D3 and vitamin C. NO risk but very little profit. Your call, do we want expensive dangerous "vaccines" the three shot Gardasil scam costs 300 bucks, or do we want to UNDERSTAND the basis of these diseases and act accordingly

September 18, 2010 at 02:14 | Report abuse |
  14. Oljim

FtNWO is right. This is so wonderful to see so many refusing this poison in form of vaccine. Personally speaking, eating properly: raw and organic, limited processed foods, no junk food; staying away from drugs and keeping your body in good physical shape- ALL THAT IS NEEDED to be dis-ease free. I did not get any vaccines and I did not get any single symptom of flu during last year.
    To be healthy is a personal CHOICE!

June 25, 2010 at 14:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Barry Soetoro

Yes please risk autism when a dose of Vitamin D will go better. CNN said Iraq had WMD's as well. Their ratings are in the toilet. Ted Turner wants your kids dead. 300 million people should only be on Earth. do your part and get a H1N1 shot. You can trust CNN.

June 25, 2010 at 14:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Brandon

I got the regular flu last year and obviously survived. I survived a disease that killed almost 10 times more ppl that h1n1. And if h1n1 is as bad as everyone says, wow i am lucky to be here.

June 25, 2010 at 14:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Tim

All the people who do not want the vaccine – that is fine..Too many people in this world already...Just by the tone of these responses,I see most of you are pharma scientists – not..Note- everything on the internet is true..

June 25, 2010 at 14:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. CDMH

To all of you who are so vehemently anti-vaccine: What about the fact that whooping cough has now been declared an epidemic and the number of children dying from that is on the rise because people refuse to vaccinate?

June 25, 2010 at 15:07 | Report abuse | Reply
    • J. Palmer

You had better do some more reading.

In the UK between 1970 and 1990, over 200,000 cases of whooping cough occurred in fully vaccinated children. (Community Disease Surveillance Centre, UK)

In 1979, Sweden abandoned the whooping cough vaccine due to its ineffectiveness. Out of 5,140 cases in 1978, it was found that 84% had been vaccinated three times! (BMJ 283:696-697, 1981)

In the New England Journal of Medicine July 1994 issue a study found that over 80% of children under 5 years of age who had contracted whooping cough had been fully vaccinated.

In the USA, the cost of a single DPT shot had risen from 11 cents in 1982 to $11.40 in 1987. The manufacturers of the vaccine were putting aside $8 per shot to cover legal costs and damages they were paying out to parents of brain damaged children and children who died after vaccination. (The Vine, Issue 7, January 1994, Nambour, Qld)

June 27, 2010 at 15:24 | Report abuse |
  19. Kristi

June 25, 2010 at 15:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. dlee

Just ignore the fact that the WHO and FDA have been totally exposed for their fabricating the H1N1 scare.....go back to sleep you sheep! You get what you deserve.

June 25, 2010 at 15:13 | Report abuse | Reply
    • DB

I'd appreciate if you could provide a (mainstream) link to support the FDA/WHO fabrication on H1N1. Thanks in advance.

June 25, 2010 at 15:49 | Report abuse |
    • Un-Sheepled

Let the brain washed fools take the injection of poisons.
      Its called CULLING the herd, bet they also guzzle fluoride and love it !

June 25, 2010 at 16:22 | Report abuse |
  21. DB

I think folks are approaching matters of science with strong religious views. Faith would suggest that matters of life and death are beyond us, and somebody up there is taking care of us. Tell that to millions who died of 1918 Spanish flu, who had faith but died anyway. One way to extinguish a lineage is not to act responsibly in time.

June 25, 2010 at 15:15 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Vie

Also from my Facebook, Kyle with a CLASSIC: "This is a hirbyd. This is a cross, ah, of Bluegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia. The amazing stuff about this is, that you can play 36 holes on it in the afternoon, take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt that night on this stuff." Carl Spackler in Caddyshack.

February 1, 2012 at 05:28 | Report abuse |
    • cxyjbizsj

vpJsQV udpnlkxaavkf

February 3, 2012 at 06:34 | Report abuse |
    • ymohvnul

v3qO8T xxistcikjzlu

February 4, 2012 at 05:36 | Report abuse |
  22. dlee

"Not a bad idea since I just went through H1N1 a SECOND TIME in 10 months"

You are either lying through your teeth or you need to see another doctor! You did not have H1N1 twice and if you did you are an extremely rare case.

June 25, 2010 at 15:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. OpenYourOjos

"Diet, injections, and injunctions will combine, from a very early age, to produce the sort of character and the sort of beliefs that the authorities consider desirable, and any serious criticism of the powers that be will become psychologically impossible."
    Bertrand Russell
    Glad people are waking up! To the Dr. who commented– Why don't you study the amino acid cysteine and it's main job of binding to heavy metals in the blood and take it to the cell. Then study to see what happens when an inorganic metal like mercury binds to cysteine instead of the metals like zinc, magnesium, iron, manganese that were supposed to supply the cell with minerals to balance the body. The answer is Disease doc. I hope you have time to study outside of the books that have been cramed down your certified throat. Mercury is not good!

June 25, 2010 at 15:17 | Report abuse | Reply
    • DB

Mercury is never good, please stay away from eating some types of fish.

June 25, 2010 at 16:05 | Report abuse |
    • Doc D

"Why don't you study the amino acid cysteine and it's main job of binding to heavy metals in the blood and take it to the cell. "

Being both a physician and a biochemist, I in fact HAVE studied cysteine. It is one of the essential amino acids used in proteins. Its main role in the body is to form disulfide bonds to hold proteins in particular shapes–it is oxidized to form those bonds and reduced to break them. Disruption of disulfide bonds can cause proteins to denature (change their three-dimensional shape), either temporarily or permanently rendering them inactive. An analogy would be bending a paper clip. If you bend it far enough, it is almost impossible to get it back to its original shape, so you just get a new one from the box instead.

"Then study to see what happens when an inorganic metal like mercury binds to cysteine instead of the metals like zinc, magnesium, iron, manganese that were supposed to supply the cell with minerals to balance the body. The answer is Disease doc."

Mercury IS toxic, though different forms of the metal salt have different levels of toxicity. Methyl mercury (Hg 2+)(CH3-) is the more toxic form, and is the type of mercury that we worry about in some fish populations, as eating too much of the contaminated fish will cause serious problems. Thimerosal is the ethyl mercury form (Hg 2+)(CH3CH2-) which is less dangerous. The link to autism is still hotly debated, and I won't try to sway you on that one way or the other. That said, realize that the dose of ethyl mercury in a flu vaccine is approximately 25 micrograms. A mercury filling in a tooth releases roughly 10 micrograms of mercury per day! So if you have three amalgam (silver appearing, containing mercury) dental fillings then you are receiving more mercury than if you had a flu vaccine every day! By the way, if you receive the flu vaccine in a single-dose package, then there no thimerosal at all. You would need to ask the provider at your doctor's office or clinic whether they ordered single or multi-dose vials (multi-dose have thimerosal). Certainly if you are concerned, you should ask for mercury free vaccine.

"I hope you have time to study outside of the books that have been cramed down your certified throat. Mercury is not good!"

In fact I do study, every day. Fighting disease and treating patients requires lifelong learning and dedication. In researching this answer, I found that mercury actually disrupts more organic groups than just the sulfhydryl of cysteine. There was a facinating article in the Journal of the American Chemical Society that showed how mercury can damage cell membranes and sneak in by molecular mimicry. Transport of other essential trace minerals/metals is affected, but is not the main cause of toxicity from mercury.

Like other physicians and scientists, I chose to study and learn from books, lab work, and experience seeing patients. Certainly I didn't have the books "crammed down my throat". Likewise when I became board-certified in my specialty, I hope that they certified all of me, not just my throat! I can only hope that you in your researches have learned to "walk before you run" or at least learned the basics before skimming information and cherry-picking bits that can be made to fulfill your (and others') pre-conceived conspiratorial notions.

May your brain remain un-addled by Mercury...

good luck.

July 9, 2010 at 15:46 | Report abuse |
  24. DC

Wow the conspiracy theorists are out in mobs on this one. Vaccines save lives. I guess they couldn't keep arguing against vaccines on the article about the epidemic of pertussis likely due to low immunization rates so they are here. Just hope the rest of intelligent civilization gets immunized so you can keep free-loading off of our community her immunity.

June 25, 2010 at 15:30 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Oljim

It is not a conspiracy any more, but obvious reality! Increasing rate of illness and cancer is a definite result of "wrong" health/medical care approach. More vaccines and drugs = more cancer and dis-ease! So obvious that only blind cannot see.

June 25, 2010 at 16:02 | Report abuse |
    • cindy

the increase is from sedintary lifestyle, people getting too fat. bad diets of fastfood, stressful jobs that keep people up at night, i could go on with what's changed with our "LIFESTYLE" is the real reason to cancer being up. most people are overweight, don't exercise and don't eat well. it's been proven time and time again, that this is a recipe for disaster, just take good care of yourself.

June 25, 2010 at 17:04 | Report abuse |
    • Noble9

There is a disturbing pride with people in the USA who dismiss science as useless. Thinking that you know more than teams of scientists doesn't mean you're smarter, it just means you're ignorant. Scientists and doctors spend their lives researching in their field. But for some reason every moron with a GED who saw a show on Oprah thinks they're an expert.

June 25, 2010 at 17:10 | Report abuse |
    • Un-Sheepled

You can have every one of mine...how's that
      All the yummy human fetal tissue , dog kidney tissue..all the detergents and preservatives.
      Here is a better list of ingredients if you have the nerve to invesigate it yourself.If you think that injecting this into your body is great ...then have 'em all.... just do not force it on sane people.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against
      all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance –
      that principle is contempt prior to investigation.” Herbert Spencer

“Doctors put drugs of which they know little, into the bodies of which they know less,
      for diseases of which they know nothing at all.”
      ~ Voltaire
      Pharma, from Pharmakopia= witchcraft , sorcery

June 25, 2010 at 17:59 | Report abuse |
  25. clear and simple

Simply test people for anti bodies, if you have them then you dont need to take the vaccine.
    It couldn't be much simpler could it?

June 25, 2010 at 17:00 | Report abuse | Reply
    • cindy

that would cost too much, whose going to cover it?

June 25, 2010 at 17:02 | Report abuse |
    • clear and simple

its not the cost of the test, that's negligable, and personally I would happily pay it, the real issue is the risk of litigation from a false result.

June 25, 2010 at 17:05 | Report abuse |
  26. cindy

conspiracies, conspiracies. get over it, nobody really has that kind of plan so stop being a hermit and crawl out the rock. the flu shot works, it's worked everytime i've gotten it. it worked for my kids. i got a small strain last winter, could have been the h1n1 it wasn't bad. you are way better off getting the shot than not, it's for the betterment of the community, stop being such selfish pigs!

June 25, 2010 at 17:01 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Oljim

How about my family NOT VACCINATING for many years and NOT getting any flu at all! It has nothing to do with being vaccinated or not! and in fact being a selfish pig! It is only a choice and if you have chosen to put poisons into your body, that is fine! But do not conclude that those who do not– are selfish pigs.

June 25, 2010 at 18:39 | Report abuse |
  27. Noble9

To all the conspiracy nuts - yes, the government wants you dead. I think it's in the Constitution or something, the government's function is to kill its citizens. Chemtrails and vaccines are the preferred methods to deal with the population. It only makes perfect sense to kill off taxpayers. OMG, this is how BP is getting rid of all that oil...they're putting it in the flu shots!!!

June 25, 2010 at 17:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Austin Valley

I have never been vaccinated – ever – (signed religious exemption papers every year of school) I, not only, never get the flu, but rarely get sick and if I do get a cold it lasts no more than three days. I'm just saying.

June 25, 2010 at 19:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Don

These vacines are posion. They do not work and cause more harm than good. My aunt had aflue vaccine and shorly after that she came down with cronic fatigue syndrom. Watch the Gary Null video on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3XlJB7J5-o

June 25, 2010 at 20:32 | Report abuse | Reply
    • fred

The ignorance of the people on this sight is truly scary. Chronic fatigue syndrome is a fancy term for depression. These people were miserable to start with. The flu vaccine had nothing to do with turning your relative into a depressed hypochondriac. It did prevent her from dying from the flu.

June 25, 2010 at 23:34 | Report abuse |
  30. wayne

He’s pushing the vaccine since they have a ton of it and it’s going to spoil and be useless.. But if they can get kids who are healthy to get the shot, then that would knock down their immune systems and cause them to bring the flu home to others…

Stay away from the H1N1 shot America.. (and the rest of the world) and let them eat it.. AMERICA is not taking their GARBAGE anymore…

June 25, 2010 at 20:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Barney

Ask yourself, "Who benefits" from getting a vaccine for a pandemic that never came to fruition? Big Pharma!

June 25, 2010 at 21:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. smarter than you

Ha ha ha! It's awesome to see that the old line of calling people conspiracy theorists when they catch the elite running another billion dollar scam. Oh the kids need two shots this year mr. cfr jewpta. hahhaha. The party is almost over. Remember Kennedy, BACK and to the left. Remember the u.s.s. maine, remember the lusitania, japanese food and fuel blockade before ww2 designed with the british to bomb pearl harbor, gulf of tonkyn never happened, USS Liberty, 911 dark green military aircraft with no windows hitting wtc tower 2 and building 7, no wreckage at pentagon, mlk, rfk, general patton, london 7/7, aids virus dr. gurra, bayor putting aids in vaccines, merk the same, nahhhhhh, the elite wouldn't lie to make money or start a war. Hell gupta, smile more and I'll give junior all the excess doses so the cfr will be pleased with you. hahaha. Times they are a changin' I love this country and our limit is approaching. The pentagon losing 2.3 trillion before 911 and nothing has been said since. We were forced to bail out 800 billion to bankers and they've now taken 33 trillion. When someone loses a dollar on the stock market, someone gains one. When you say the market lost 2 trillion, who gained it. The bankers and thiefs like goldman sacs gained it through fraud and no audits, Then have the gaul to hold the economy hostage for 33 trillion. People we are getting robbed every which way they can. Now starting a war with Iran that will send fuel to 8 dollars a gallon. The media is the gatekeeper for the cfr and the elite so this might be your only chance to hear some of these truths before they take it down. And now the contrived oil spill, why else would they turn away help from 15 different countries that have volunteered to help clean up. Investigate all these issues. I have to go cook supper or I could list 100's of more things that are being done to us all ultimately for the bankers.

June 25, 2010 at 21:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. thinkingformyself

jps is the perfect example of stupid people who need to do some research. Antibiotics can not treat any kind of flu. Flu is caused by a virus. Antibiotics only treat bacterial infections, and people like you who think they treat everything is why they are becoming ineffective.

June 25, 2010 at 22:07 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Norm

I need to make a clarification on my last post. Malarial initcefon is almost entirely a matter of human and some species of mosquito specific. There are some malarias which can cross species from our monkey cousins but they are very rare.However the mode of transmission of malaria from humans to mosquitoes would typically be from an infected human to an uninfected mosquito, where the protozoon does its work. The issue, as I recall from the article I read, is that when a mosquito extracts human blood it extracts whole blood, including red blood cells containing the malaria protozoa, which take enough time to digest in the mosquito's gut that before those cells are digested,the immune response that started up in the red blood cells when initcefon occurred in the human host, continues in them long enough within the mosquito's gut for the antigens produced by them to be released when the mosquito's gut dissolves the red blood cells. Those antigens kill off the malaria protozoa at that stage or otherwise disrupt their reproduction, as I think sg @17 may have been referring to.

September 14, 2012 at 00:40 | Report abuse |
  34. Kristi

I don't think they were saying that they're going to use the old vaccine to protect against H1N1 for this year's flu season, necessarily. The vaccine is made using eggs, and they may very well not be usable that far into the future. I think they're saying that in formulating the new seasonal flu vaccine for this year, one of the strains they are going to include is the H1N1. They always predict which strains are most likely to be prevalent during the next flu season and combine some of them (in the vaccine, not into a hybrid flu virus) in order to provide what they project will be a good spectrum of immunity.

And the "OMG, they have to do something with all that unused vaccine, so they're doubling up the amount of vaccine they're giving people!" is kind of silly. Younger kids almost always have to be vaccinated in two steps, just because of the chance of adverse reaction if they get the whole dose at once is greater for someone small who's never been observed after a flu shot before, and because it boosts the effectiveness of the vaccine as a whole if it's given in two parts. Adults and older kids are usually large enough that the amount of vaccine necessary to provide immunity isn't too large a dose for their bodies to handle. Some vaccines, like hepatitis vaccines, have to be given in two parts because of both the way they work and the amount of vaccine necessary, whether it's for an adult or a child. The amount of vaccine necessary and the timing of the doses is dependent on a lot of things. For people who aren't experts in this field to go around making sweeping remarks based upon a CNN article and other anecdotal evidence is silly.

I do agree, though, that there is some Darwinism at work here. The funny part is that it's the anti-vaccination people saying that the vaccinated people are all going to die off!

Rising rates of cancer and other diseases are due, in large part, to the fact that so many people are living longer and getting better medical care. Fewer people used to be diagnosed with cancer back in the pre-vaccination days for several reasons: A) we weren't able to diagnose cancer because we lacked the medical knowledge and technology to do so, and B) the lifespan was much shorter, and people died of other causes before they developed cancer. Not that the human race doesn't seem bound and determined to poison itself with various substances (it is just unthinkable when I see someone smoking like a chimney AND saying they don't want to vaccinate their kids because of the health risks of doing so!), and our environment is MUCH more filled with harmful substances than it was a few generations ago. It's just that immunizing people against disease is a good thing. The fact that they're including chemicals that they should find some way to replace means we need MORE science . . . not to throw the whole vaccination thing out the window! Yes, I think that the safety and efficacy of vaccines should always be being improved upon until they are 100% safe. But THAT is the campaign we need to be on, not the "DON'T IMMUNIZE YOUR KIDS!!" campaign.

June 25, 2010 at 22:13 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kristi

Should have read "we weren't able to diagnose cancer as readily or easily", not "we weren't able to diagnose cancer". Cancer was, of course, diagnosed, but we didn't have the kinds of sensitive screening techniques we have now.

June 25, 2010 at 22:16 | Report abuse |
  35. Danny Vestal

POISON !! POISON !! WHO, CDC, doctors, Gupta LIES, LIES, LIES. Don't believe the vaccine industry LIARS!!!!

The Criminality of the Vaccine Industry

June 25, 2010 at 23:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Brian

Dear Lord, you people are making the flu sound like smallpox. It's the flu, actually comparitively it isn't as bad as the the flu as less people are dying from H1N1 then the regular flu.. Your body can handle the flu, most children can handle the flu. Sure you want to pump your sickly kids with it, go ahead. Healthy individuals don't need it.

June 25, 2010 at 23:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. OpenYourOjos

Release my information. What is this China?

June 26, 2010 at 00:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. The_Mick

Note that there are not ONLY three strains that are rotated each year. There are many strains of the flu and an international body and the CDC use evolution theory to predict which three strains will be the most infectious in the following year, then the companies making the vaccines make the seasonal shots with those three strains. So odds are that each year the seasonal flu shot will contain a strain that you do NOT have protection against. Additionally, for those saying there's no proof it works – that's an outright lie and can only be told if you're too lazy to look it up or want to mislead people. A friend and I worked together through a career of teaching in a building complex of 3 schools with 4000 kids – many of them perfuming the air with illness-germs each day. I got every shot offered: flu, pneumonia, etc. He avoided them. I retired having used up 40 sick days in 30 years. He retired having used up 290 sick days in 30 years – many of them for the flu.

June 26, 2010 at 09:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. jr

...they have to do something with all the leftover vaccines. how else will they get rid of them?

June 26, 2010 at 09:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Rachel W.

First, the title of this article is misleading and second, the ignorance of anti-vaccine believers is quite astonishing! First and foremost, the title is misleading by saying kids need 2 doses of h1n1 vaccine again, however if you actually read the article, it says only if they are under 9 and have not previously had 2 doses....which any pediatrician will tell you this as well! If your child is under 9 and has already had the 2 doses, his immunity has already been primed and therefore just one dose for the next year is adequate protection.....makes me wonder if journalists and anti-vax people even ever go to the doctor! Second, I am so tired of hearing about the whole big pharma making money consipracy when the truth is complete opposite....in fact, the old technology of creating vaccines from eggs is still in place because "big pharma" do not profit off of vaccines and therefore do not want to put their money into researching more efficient ways of producing vaccines that would benefit the health of the public.....indeed, they would rather spend money on creating some new diet drug or heart disease med that will put the money in their wallets because vaccines, which are free at any public health department, are not gonna bring the big bucks flowing! Indeed, the anti-vax groups really need to learn about both science and capitalism and how their false beliefs are hurting the general public at large....indeed, their false beliefs and paranoia are causing outbreaks of whooping cough, which is now an epidemic in California, when this used to be eradicted due to people taking the time out to get immunized....and before one of you anti-vax followers scream autism or mercury, there are plenty of causes and worries with regards to health....why don't you worry about the nearby plastic company polluting your water or the oil that is in the Gulf...these will affect your health and the health of your children far more than any tiny amount of monkey tissue or mercury in a vaccine, a vaccine that, by the way, will do much more good than harm to the health of your children! And yes, i have four lovely children and I always make sure they are vaccinated and guess what, they do not have autism!

June 26, 2010 at 15:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Marco

Go do a google search for "The truth about vaccines" and the truth about flu shots" and see what HIONEST Doctors said about vaccinations... You ignorance is forgiven, but now you have no excuse any longer for saying the foolish things you said in your comment. It is so difficult to show people like you how wrong, how brainwashed you are. you are convinced that you are correct, and all your life the tv and tv doctors on newscasts have told you the same things over and over...If you would take 1 hour and research the claims made by the other side, you might realize that you have been lied to your entire life...Good luck having the openmindedness it takes to challenge your own belief system to free yourself of it's restraints.

June 26, 2010 at 22:44 | Report abuse |
  41. Rachel W.

Marco, I have done quite a bit of research and guess what, not a single scientific study(this means actual peer reviewed research done by actual scientists and not Glenn Beck or whatever quack persona you get your information from) has ever proven the harm that you and other anit-vax people claim. You can continue to be the brainwashed and paranoid robot that you choose to be; searching on google to read claims made by consiparcy theorists does make a good laugh though so thanks for providing me with some comedy.

June 26, 2010 at 23:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. Not Me or Mine

Please, Please, Please. If you were smart enough to take the shot last year. Take two this year. And give your spawn two or three shots this year. Do Yourself a favor and read the insert. Holy Crap they hide it in plain sight and you retards still can't see it. The WHO admits to fraud, and just beacuse some freakin talking head tells you that mercury in the vaccine is good for your child, you stand in line and roll up their sleave to this poison. Read the box that comes with your crest toothpaste. Bunch of simpleton, lemmings. Cliff is this way please.

June 27, 2010 at 01:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Ticked Off Momma

Last year in November my son received the H1N1 shot, he was allergic to it and had a reaction, some antiboitics cleared it right up. However, a week later, before we could finish vaccinating and the vaccine had time to work (2 weeks), he contracted H1N1. My son was in the hospital for a week, a full week. He was in PICU for half that time. He turned grey, developed pneumonia and came very close to dying. I would still get my son vaccinated. NO PARENT who truely loves their child would be willing to forgo a shot if they knew potentially they'd be holding their precious little one while they gasp for air, scream in discomfort, refuse to eat or drink, and look at you with pleading eyes before they go to PICU because they don't have the energy to call for you anymore! I don't care if there was fraud at the WHO, it doesn't change the fact that had we been able to finish the vaccine, his reaction would not have been as life threatening. He would have still gotten sick, but at least I wouldn't have had to call the Red Cross to dispatch an emergency message to my Husband explaining, I was with our son and the doctors said it wasn't good. GOD BLESS the children of the parents who won't vaccinate and grant those little ones the strength to overcome the trials that lay ahead.

June 27, 2010 at 11:08 | Report abuse | Reply
    • J. Palmer

It was the shot that helped lower his immunity and make him sick, we all had the H1N1, and our daughter was fine got over it in about 3 days, but our neighbours got the shot and were sick for 4 weeks...hmmmm, do you see a pattern here? We were one of the hardest hit communities in North America (Burns Lake BC), and we observed that the people who volunteered to get vaccinated were the sickest, you dont have to be a scientist to figure it out, just part of a small community that communicates.

June 27, 2010 at 14:41 | Report abuse |
  44. Beth Jetton

They have been known to use adjuvents, which are dangerous, in the vaccines. Also there is mercury in there too at times. If you google Bayer you will see that many drug companies are Eugenicists. I would never have any H1N1 shot . . or let a child I know, get the shot. The government has been hijacked by the Global Elite who clearly do not have your best interest at heart. Flouride and aspartame are bad too . . google them and educate yourself about the New World Order.

June 28, 2010 at 14:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. Michael

folks, don't read the following news article from last summer, it's fear-mongering conspiracy-theorizing crazyness:

Legal immunity set for swine flu vaccine makers
    Associated Press

quote:
    "Vaccine makers and federal officials will be immune from lawsuits that result from any new swine flu vaccine, under a document signed by Secretary of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius, government health officials said Friday."

now, seriously: why the hell would you agree to put a vaccine in your body made by a company that has been immunized against lawsuits by the same government promoting the vaccine?

would you buy a car by an auto maker that was protected against lawsuits by government decree? Would you take that car even if they sold it to you at 90 % discount?

the car isn't even the best analogy because the government isn't purchasing those cars and giving them to you and telling you it's for your own good.

And take a look back and the H1N1 scare: more people died of the ordinary seasonal flu than from the big bad H1N1. Some people working at the WHO who pushed this H1N1 scare are connected to the pharmaceutical industry. It was a hoax. Just like the Global Warming hoax. The head of the CRU Mr.Jones had to admit that the warming had stopped 15 years ago even though he was still pushing this whole 'climate change' scare.

You better be skeptical right from the beginning because these people are betting on your psychological compliance with their aura of authority. Power corrupts, don't forget that.

June 28, 2010 at 15:11 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lou

"Power corrupts"

Oh boy does it ever!

Authority does not confer truth, truth confers authority.

We have the most powerful government in history. We have the most corrupt government in history, at least our history. We have a government with NO moral authority because they are immoral.

Folks historically this has never ended well. Soon this tyrannical government will have to use FORCE as no one will obey out of love or duty. FORCED vaccinations are the law. Soon men with guns and needles will be confronting you.

Just say no. Best to have a gun in hand when you make that statement.

September 18, 2010 at 15:22 | Report abuse |