home
RSS
May 12th, 2010

What caused Beau Biden's health scare?

Delaware Attorney General Beau Biden – the Vice President's son – suffered a mild stroke on Tuesday. Doctors say he's alert, talking and has all motor skills. But he's now in a Philadelphia hospital for more tests. Biden is only 41-years old and as CNN's Chief Medical Correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta explains, it's pretty rare for someone that age to have this happen.

Filed under: Cancer

1. Bonnie Pattison

They need to look at MS. My husband became weak on his right side and had slurred speech event at 40. They did not know what happened to him. Later we found out that it was MS and it was misdiagnosed at the time. Beau is at the right age for MS to surface. Just a thought.

May 12, 2010 at 13:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Lorraine Collins

With regards Dr Gupta's Twitter Feed "this is a meningioma, a benign brain tumour, once removed, patient is cured". This is an inaccurate statement, my husband had a parasaggital Meningioma totally removed 12 years ago in 1998, then in 2006 he was found to have two more growing and had them removed, again in 2007 and now he currently has 3 growing! He is paralysed from the neck downwards and profoundly cognitively impaired. To be accurate Dr Gupta should not post a short statement it is necessary to qualify such a statement with : however sometimes not all benign meningiomas can be removed due to say growing on the brainstem, also some may change into more aggressive anaplastic or malignant meningiomas, some people have multiple meningiomas and genetic conditions can be involved. Basically everybody is different if you are lucky then yes you may only need one craniotomy to remove one tumour but surely he is aware of reccurance rates! Obviously being told you have a Meningioma you have a much better prognosis in terms of survival than say a Glioblastoma, but I know plenty of individuals who have lost loved ones to Meningiomas or who's loved ones suffer profound cognitive and physical disabilities! By putting out such a simplistic statement with the word cured in it is just insulting to intelligent people and and those who have suffered meningiomas and those who care for them.

May 12, 2010 at 21:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Nebraska

I know two people who have had stroke like symptoms caused by a clot formed by a tumor pressing on an artery in the lung. In both cases, the medical work up following the mini stroke revealed their cancer and they were able to receive treatment for the real cause of the original problem. I wonder how common this is?

May 13, 2010 at 08:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Cheri ONeal---Meninigioma Fighter to the End

Dr. Gupta as a high profile voice within your profession of Neurosurgeons I must say you crushed many Meningioma victims with your recent twitter comment." Once removed, patient is cured". You claim to be the "Great Educator", yet you tweet misinformation about an unpreventable and incurable disease. Those of us with Meningiomas have a multitude of up-hill battles. Sadly one of our battles is dealing with the degree of ignorance and lack of concern among Neurosurgeons and the medical community in general. Perhaps you should refamiliarize yourself with the definition of CURED. Often individuals with Meningiomas suffer life long deficts after surgical resection to include fear of regrowth. Many people are on a Wait & Watch status, knowing the tumor is within, often symptoms are dismissed as not tumor related, headache, dizziness, nausea, seizure, numbness, tingling, weakness, memory deficits, visual disturbance and many many more. We know better. We are weakened in our fight to remain strong and be our own advocate, stand our ground and plead our case....Then we see your TWEET,....no wonder we have such an up hill battle. Why is it that the most common primary brain tumor receives little to no research funding? Is it because it is more common among women? How long will it take before Meningiomas get the attention and the research they deserve? How many lives must they impact before they are taken seriously? Let me ask you this,.would you have tweeted the same about a GBM Tumors? What made you think singling out a Meningioma was fair game for your example? Post op meningioma patients suffer blindness, facial deformaties, limb weakness, cognitive deficits,.inability to function as they once did,,..all this from the so called "BENIGN" brain tumor so easily cured with surgery. You know better. Dr. Gupta,..I am challenging you to be "The GREAT EDUCATOR"....walk a mile along side us and learn from those who know the truth. Help us to raise awareness among YOUR profession. May is Brain Tumor Awareness Month–Would love to see you have a serious and accurate discussion on your program about Meningiomas. Please visit,....www.MeningiomaMommas.org to learn more aboutt the real warriors of Meningiomas

May 13, 2010 at 21:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Red Rover

Could Beau's body been out of balance chemically? We are all familiar with the need to balance Sodium and Potassium; but what is all too often overlooked is the need for Magnesium.

Dr Gupta – Is there reason to consider this a possibility?

June 13, 2010 at 18:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Benedict

Merely wanna remark on few general things, The website style and design is perfect, the subject matter is rattling great. “By following the concept of ‘one country, two systems,’ you don’t swallow me up nor I you.” by Deng Xiaoping.
    Benedict http://lanirosell.hatenablog.com/entry/2014/12/31/095622

February 12, 2015 at 00:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Lydia Leanard

Hello, i feel that i saw you visited my web site thus i got here to “return the favor”.I'm attempting to in finding issues to enhance my site!I assume its good enough to use a few of your concepts!!

June 17, 2019 at 22:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. golf clash

I'm studying for my bachelors degree in computer science, and I might continue on to get a masters degree. I have my A+ and Network+ certifications, and I'm planning on getting Linux, Network Security, and the Microsoft certifications.. . Can I get a job doing computer forensics with this? If not, what should I do to increase my chances of getting a computer forensics job?. . Thanks. Just a little more info: I do more programming than anything with computers, but I'm pretty good with the non-programming side too..

July 1, 2019 at 07:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. 100ft robot golf mcilroy

How realistic is it to make money by writing articles or blogging on the internet from home?

July 1, 2019 at 07:43 | Report abuse | Reply