home
RSS
April 2nd, 2010

3 questions: Autism is not just a childhood disorder

Karl Greenfeld grew up in Los Angeles as the older brother – by two years – of perhaps the most famous autistic child in America. Noah Greenfeld was the subject of three popular books – “A Child Called Noah,” “A Place For Noah,” and “A Client Called Noah” - written by their father, Josh, a successful screenwriter.  The books, as well as widely read magazine articles, trace the early history of autism diagnosis and treatment, through the eyes of one family desperately seeking help for Noah. Those efforts, and the efforts of families like the Greenfelds, eventually led to therapies that offer some hope to families today. But not for Noah Greenfeld. Now 43, Noah does not speak and lives in an assisted living home near Los Angeles.

Karl and Noah in childhood.

Karl and Noah in childhood.
Karl and Noah as adults.

Karl and Noah as adults.

Inevitably – Karl became at times an afterthought, as Noah sucked up the family’s time and resources. Along the way, he gained a keen appreciation for his parents’ struggles and a sharp eye for the ups and downs of living with a severely autistic child. A magazine writer and editor and the author of four books, he never wrote about autism until now – in “Boy Alone: a Brother’s Memoir.” He spoke with CNN Chief medical correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta.

Gupta: What is autism? How do you describe what autism is?

Greenfeld: I see autism as my brother. My brother, Noah, is a fact of autism for me. I find Noah to have very little in common with Temple Grandin. I find Noah to have very little in common with high-functioning Asperger’s diagnoses. And in some ways, I wonder if the expansion of diagnostic criteria to make autism a spectrum disorder has almost diluted the meaning of autism. We’re at a point now where you can take someone who’s a low functioning, non-verbal person who really needs 24-hour supervision, to someone who’s considered a genius. That’s why I wonder how useful it is, this very wide spectrum diagnosis.

Gupta: A lot of people, when they think of autism, think of children, young children. Noah is obviously in his 40s now. What is that like?

Greenfeld: I was surprised when I really seriously began researching autism again, when I was working on "Boy Alone." I was surprised at how widely held the notion that it is a childhood disorder. That somehow you grow out of it, because, you know, Noah’s disability was so profound that I’ve spent more time with him as an adult autistic, than ever I did with him as a child. So, the one thing people seem to not be aware of is that there are a great number of adult autistics. And, if this epidemic of diagnosis is true, there are going to be more adult autistics. And one thing I tried to write about in this book is to talk to families that maybe have a teenaged autistic son or daughter now, and talk a little bit about that journey in adulthood, and how your life as a parent or sibling of an autistic person to some extent, always revolves around that person.

Gupta: What did you think when your father wrote those books about Noah?

Greenfeld: My father would tell me that one of the reasons he was writing about our family was that so other families didn’t feel alone.  I think "Boy Alone"  was my attempt to talk to family members, to talk to brothers and sisters of an autistic child and also let them know they’re not alone. And especially as you get older, as you’re a grown up and you have your own life and you still have to integrate this autistic sibling into your life, it’s challenging. But I wasn’t able to write this book until I had children of my own. Until I saw my daughters and understood their sibling relationship and said, “Ah, that’s what brothers and sisters act like and look like,” and I had something to compare with my own childhood. I couldn’t do this until I was at the point in my life where I understood family a little better, because I had a family. And I understood, oh, this is how my family was atypical.

To see more of this interview, please tune in to "Sanjay Gupta M.D." on Saturday and Sunday at 7:30 a.m. ET.

« Previous entry
  1. Tiffany

I read Josh Greenfield's books the summer before I turned 13. For years after that, I researched and studied this disease. I even started volunteering at an autistic school in college. I always thought the family dynamics around these children are so important, and so interesting. I'm excited to finally read Karl's side of things.

April 3, 2010 at 07:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Andrea

I have a son that's 6 with autism. We have been told by many autism specialist in our area that it has been awhile since they have seen a boy so severely affected. To this day we fight for therapies that will not be covered by insurance as we cannot afford anymore to pay for them ourselves. What gets me is everyone says that they want these children to lead the most productive lives possible yet no one is willing to pay or help pay for therapies or medical intervention,experimental or not that may help.Like Luke said "It's a hard life, being a parent of autism" except the roles in my house our reversed where my sons father stays at home while I work so I get that break at least 4-5 times a week. I wanted to ask Kim from Montana if she knows what services are offered in that state . We have considered moving there in the Butte area as my in-laws live there. I will probably pick up those books to read. Anyways enough of my talking lol

April 3, 2010 at 07:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Grace MacDowell, PsyD

Just want to remind Vince and all others that progress in child development is more than just academic progress. While a child with severe autism may learn to parrot back information, because the habit memory processes are intact (per Margaret Bauman, M.D., at Harvard), the most critical developmental realm is the socioemotional realm (per a host of interdisciplinary professionals such as Greenspan, Brazelton, Wieder, etc.; see http://www.icdl.com.). Socioemotional development underscores all cognitive development. Behavior management is not therapy, it's control of behaviors that seem problematic to the neurotypical person but that may be functional to the individual with autism. (And yes, there are some severe behaviors that need to be controlled, but most of the repetitive behaviors have important neuropsychological purpose.)

I'm sorry that there are so many whose children are adults that have not made much progress. You've had a doom-and-gloom experience. Many of others have had a bright-future experience, going from severe to mild or even undiagnosable using DIR, because DIR focuses on socioemotional milestone mastery. DIR embraces a truly interdisciplinary approach that encourages holistic/naturopathic along with allopathic treatment.

The spectrum concept addresses the symptom severity aspect and encourages openminded practitioners to consider the uniqueness of the child while still addressing the core issues (that are greater in number than just the 3 diagnostic criteria). Minshew's information processing model for explaining autism is excellent, and worth the effort to understand. My own indepth analysis of the scientific literature, as a dissertation, discusses the trait anxiety foundation to autism spectrum disorders (centered in the brainstem) that is compounded by differences in how the rest of the brain is processing.

I applaud Greenfeld's effort to reach out to the siblings, and hope that many others will do the same.

April 3, 2010 at 07:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Ann

Being the parent of a 4 year old autistic boy in the middle of the spectrum I can relate to the impact that autism has on the entire family. His older brother, now 11, is left aside, while the focus is always put on the autistic boy. You never want to do this, but it happens. You try to do inclusive things, but they are so far apart in their functioning, it's difficult to find those things.

Karl's daughters go to the same public school as my older son. I have seen them grow into adorable girls. He has a beautiful family now. Yet, I never knew the story until another parent said "you should talk to Karl– he's writing a book on his brother." At the time, my younger son did not speak. I wondered would he ever speak and what if he didn't. Gladly now he can, but he is not nor will ever be the Asperger's child or adult we see so prominently talked about in the news. He is nor will ever be a savant. He is no genius. Autism has a different face– and one we should all start talking about and recognizing. Yes, I do not minimize the Temple Grandin story or others, but the bulk of us living with autism have a different story to tell.

April 3, 2010 at 07:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Raigh Anderson

There is no support or assistance for the families of AS ADULTS. Many ADULTS are diagnosed with AS after a child is diagnosed with autism or AS. Some parents discover they also have AS on their own, but do not want an evaluation. AS ADULTS can have relationship issues/parenting issues. There are millions of unrecognized adults, males and females, with Asperger's. All of the children being evaluated and diagnosed with AS today, will become the AS ADULTS of Tomorrow. The ADULTS of Today are totally ignored by Medicine, Insurance companies, Politicians...and the Public. This does not speak well for the future of AS children as they grow into adulthood.
    One website which acknowledges the family aspect of living with ADULTS with undiagnosed or unrecognized Asperger's Syndrome: http://www.faaas.org

April 3, 2010 at 11:56 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tina S

To Raigh Anderson:

I am adult with Aspergers, and I happen to be a member of an organization called the Asperger's Association of New England (AANE), which is an organization that advocates and promotes awareness of Aspergers in individuals of all ages, including adults.

If you are interested in knowing more about them, here is their website:

Tina S

October 15, 2013 at 17:00 | Report abuse |
  6. Arlene

Dear Michael, Your comments really resonated with me because they exquisitely described the sensations you experience with autism. You have the ability to write extremely well and have an excellent vocabulary. I realize that finding and keeping a job is a great difficulty, but you could start a blog and write about your experiences with living with autism. Not only would you encounter people with similar life challenges, but you may be able to turn your blog into a paid job. I hope you can find some true fulfillment in life.

April 3, 2010 at 14:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Diana

OHHHHH, how wonderful to finally hear something about the older autistic adult. NO autism is not going to "go away" and get better when they grow older. It is always there and to also show there is autism that is severe. These adults end up in institutions and group homes and in some cases at home w/parents who quite literally give their lives to these people through love and devotion. I am glad Dr. Gupta is interviewing Noah's brother. I wish the news media would put more of these adults in the limelight and show people what nice young people they are despite their overwhelming obstacle called autism. I read the books on Noah and remember their delicate ways of entering their son's domain. Trying to reach Noah through gentle nurturing ways. Thank you Dr. Gupta.........

April 3, 2010 at 14:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Leeanne

I have a child who is severely intellectually disabled. Or as we used to say, severely retarded. He has autistic traits such as persistant self-stimulation–rocking back and forth, putting his head on the t.v. screen to feel the vibration. He does not talk or walk and there is no possibility that he will achieve any self-sufficiency. I feel compelled to put my hat in the ring with Todd, who said he would live his life the same way again. And I have to say that I feel quite sorry for Sara–Maybe I'm one of those parents who sugarcoat things. It took me several years to come to grips with my child's disabilities. But now, 10 years later, I am able to to see him as the gift he is. He is the most loving, guileless, sweet human being I know. He cannot play any games with me, and yet I enjoy just being with him in the same space. Often, he rests his head on my lap and allows me to stroke is head. His eye contact is not perfect, but occasionally he looks into my eyes with complete love and devotion, lingers there and then bursts out laughing with joy. I have always loved caring for infants, and caring for him is not too different. I enjoy the simple caretaking he requires–the feeding, the meals, and yes, the diapers are tolerable too. I have another child who is typical–the love is there, of course, but not profound in the same way. There is more to a person than his abilities or lack thereof. The trick is getting to know the inside of the person.

April 3, 2010 at 14:46 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Susan

Thank you for sharing a beautiful story, Leeanne. This shows that the gifts of all children are there for us if we are only there to receive them. We have a son with Fragile X syndrome and the lessons to us have been the most profound of our lives. You're a wonderful mom and I believe children are given to the parents who can love them so you must be very special indeed.

July 10, 2012 at 14:45 | Report abuse |
  9. dawn ryan

Thank you Christy and Elizabeth and the other parents whose child has Asperger's. All I can say is DITTO.

April 3, 2010 at 15:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Robin

Many of you are correct that disorders are inappropriatly dished out to children who exhibits some uncontrolable behavior. I have found even in the Sunday School class setting there are children put in there that pretty much have been self diagnosed by parents and it turns out to be they just don't know how to parent the child and they are horrible acting for the parents but act fine when you put your foot down and tell them how they will act. Sometimes it takes a couple of weeks for them to find out you are serious but then they act fine and move on to the mainstream classes where they work out just fine. It is the truly special needs kids that we are there to love and help and there are plenty of them. So parents who allow your children to run your lives please stand up and be the adults so the kids who need the funding get it.

April 3, 2010 at 15:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Bob Matthews

I have a daughter w/ autism. The treatments that she has recieved has been very effective. If you have a child w/ autism, you should look into what D.A.N. says about causes and cures. It worked out very well for us. Hopefully enough lab work will get done in the decades to come that insurance will start kicking in properly. There is some good things to be done for people w/ autism. Catch it early, develop a strategy for treating it, and stick to your guns.

April 3, 2010 at 15:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. A dad

As a father of a severely autistic, low-functioning child, I feel very exhausted and wearied of romantic notion or accounts of the temple grandin or "rain men" out there of the world, just like Mr. Karl Greenfeld.

Every day is a crisis, I feel more like Prometheus and Sisyphus. Taking care of my destructive son and his aftermath is like Sisyphus's work, endless and no hope, no meaning, no end in sight. It is progressively worse as he gets older.

At the same time, like Prometheus, it is not my liver but my heart gets ripped out daily, only to regrows on the evolutionary hard-wired quirk of the infinite love of a parent for his offspring. And the heart is only meant to be ripped again. I goes through the cycle of controlled anger, sadness for my son who has no cognitive understanding of what he/she did wrong, the depression for our miserable, pathological existence, and ultimately the acceptance and the rebirth of love and hope as one gets habituated to the sight of the destructive mess he caused. This emotional gamut is exercised on a daily basis and really getting old.

In another time and place, kids like my son probably would not have survived into adulthood, which explained why many early books on autism reported that these children rarely survived into late teenhood as if it were a physiological condition. Once awhile, autistic children were reportedly killed or abused for the things they did that are just like my son's repertoire. My nagging fear has becomes a belief with certainty that if I die and should my son become a ward of the state, he will share the fate of other autistic kids like him who would die at the hand of the next hapless foster care giver who might be enticed by the paltry stipend of Dept of SS.

April 4, 2010 at 00:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Lane

To Simo Hayha: I have seen girls who were not "severely affected." There are many. I don't have to have seen them; there are books about them. Go to any autism support group on line, you will hear about girls who are not "severely affected." Google "Judith Bluestone" if you want to meet one of them in person.

I think autism should be a single basket the way cancer is a single basket. Cancer defines a kind of cell activity; autism defines many types of "differences." Each cancer is different because each patient is different. The term autism is about "self," which isn't quite fair because no one ever says retardation is about "self," but I think the term is fine. My son is autistic and his sub-group would probably be Semantic Pragmatic Disorder, with hyperlexia and synesthesia and absolute pitch and exceptional math skills.

I want to congratulate these people for writing in order to help others feel less alone. What better reason could there be, really? If only we could prevent the Jenny McCarthys of the world from writing/publishing....sigh.

April 4, 2010 at 02:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Shirley Pennebaker

35 years in the field of learning disabilities and behavior disorders. All autism is not equal. However, there appears to be one factor that is a major contributor: it is digital media. I predict that just as cable tv and hdtv have increased, so has the numbers. An interesting study would be to see if they are increasing at the same rate. As the new 3D tv spreads, so will autism numbers. The vivid contrast seems to aggravate the symptoms. We are able to demonstrate MAJOR improvement in autism in one month or less, if the child utilizes Brainjogging 3 times daily for five to seven minutes and watches NO DIGITAL MEDIA. One sitting at computer games, certain cartoons, or going to the movies and it is undone instantly! The progress can return, but only with lots of Brainjogging that day. Brainjogging has now greatly enhanced the behaviors of cousins both diagnosed by the Marcus Institute! One was 9 and is now 12- 99% symptom free & a straight A student in a private school. The other is six who has been on Brainjogging for 3 months. Follow up visit to the school after Brainjogging 2 months, the Marcus Institute stated, the report I have does not look like the same child. The school replied, "It is the same child. She has simply changed a great deal."
    Sanja, I pray you will come and see, because only seeing is believing! My greatest concern is funding for those who cannot afford our services and unbiased universities or scientists to study Brainjogging for publication.
    Shirley Pennebaker

April 4, 2010 at 08:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. the right stuff

Re: many of the people here who have trouble finding jobs because of their condition:

I understand where you are coming from. I'm not sure if I technically have any sort of "disorder," although I've always been incredibly socially inept, have had small motor coordination problems, and so forth.

I took a new job recently, and was heavily penalized for not learning things like everybody else.

I eventually got the end product correct (although it took a day or two longer than this other new person who was working on a similar project). It took me longer to do it because I just don't learn in the manner that this person teaches, but I started to improve greatly once I was left alone. I tend to be a sink or swim person, and the second people start trying to do my work for me, I won't learn it. We had a big meeting about my progress a week into my job in which I explained all of this.

Even though i eventually arrived at getting the same end product, my boss is still pressuring me to quit. They acknowledged that there wasn't much wrong with my end product, but they were refusing to train me to do anything else because they do not want to train people who don't learn in their manner of learning.

April 4, 2010 at 11:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Mom of autistic daughter

As the mother of an 8 year-old little girl with autism, this article and many of the comments have been helpful reminders that my family doesn't struggle alone. My daughter is nonverbal and still in diapers, but is extremely affectionate, intuitive, and sensitive (I am so glad I didn't lose that part of her as many parents do). I am lucky enough to have the full support of extended family to help raise her along with me and my husband and give us the emotional support we need-we are so blessed! I am a firm believer in the sayings "God will not give you more than you can bear" and "If He brings you to it, He'll lead you through it". My faith has been the foundation of being able to cope with this diagnosis.

Many of the comments I have read here have made me thoughtful toward the future, though my husband and I are already in agreement that our daughter will never be medicated or put in a home-she is precious the way she is and belongs with people who can love her like no one else-her family. Sara's comments made me really sad-for her and her son. Autism is not a prison sentence. It's hard-REALLY HARD-but it's life and autistic individuals have just as much of a right to be loved and wanted as anybody else. I understand the fear for the future and the feelings of isolation that come with autism, but I believe a family that sticks together can get through pretty much anything. My daughter will never be able to have a job of any kind, friends that she can go do things with independently, or even talk-but she can laugh and run and play, and every day she knows she's loved. I think sometimes it's important that as parents of autistic children, we remember that we can be their advocates in our communities and school districts, but to these kids we are simply "mom" or "dad" like any other family, and at the end of the day their happiness hinges on our unconditional love and support.

April 4, 2010 at 19:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Marion Pusey

Picture Card Communication

I create and make personalized/individualized visual resources
    and educational materials for people affected by Autism and / or
    other disabilities where communication is affected and their
    families, teachers, therapists, care givers, etc.
    These products are good for children who are "visual learners".

I am a mother of a 25 year old son with autism.
    Eric was and still is a "visual learner".
    You can see an article with pictures of Eric and some of the
    pictures he has done in the CELEBRATE section of: http://www.AutismConnects.com
    Link to article with pictures:
    http://www.autismconnects.com/publisher/articleview/frmArticleID/291/ Because of the above and for the love of Eric and wanting to help other families,I created my business
    Picture Card Communication
    Website: http://www.picturecardcommunication.com

April 4, 2010 at 23:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Artsee

I first read the Noah books back in the mid-70's when I was pregnant with my first child and have wondered ever since what happened to Noah and Karl.

My heart goes out to Karl and others who were denied a childhood because they were pushed aside by the needs of the autistic sibling.

Sara – you are to be commended for your honesty.

April 5, 2010 at 07:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. ASD mom

While some, including the author of this article, may feel that higher functioning autism dilute the meaning, I completely disagree. There's no PC way to say this so I'm just going to blurt it out: Usually lower-functioning individuals look like there's something going on. Higher functioning people tend to not have that look, thus, people expect them to be "normal". This makes taking a higher functioning child out extremely difficult at times because of all the stimuli. When a meltdown occurs, other parents look on that child as if they're a brat not knowing there's a valid reason a 10 year old is having a complete meltdown.

Further, there's heaps of programs and therapies for lower functioning individuals with autism. Not so for higher functioning kids.

My son is considered weird and a know it all by his classmates. He doesn't have any friends. He's a straight A student in a regular classroom so he definitely doesn't need special ed. I worry about what's going to happen when he's in high school. How much is he going to be picked up and bullied because of his quirks?

April 5, 2010 at 09:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Diana

I cried when I read LeeAnne's letter about how close one becomes to the adult. The love is so special and different than one ever has known. Yes when my son laughs at my ploys to get his undivided attention it is like heaven on earth. This winter when I would get cold I would cuddle up to him on the couch and call him my "furnace". He is very warm blooded being young and all, I guess. These people are so special too because they have a certain wisdom within. A certain calm wisdom and their ability to see right through people and detect the good from the bad!! No kidding. Within I am sure is an intelligence that because of their lack of communication they cannot display. So please do not judge.......

April 5, 2010 at 13:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Autistic sister and mom

My child was originally misdiagnosed at the age of 3 as severely retarded in 1994 at the Navy Hospital in SD. I argued that he had spoken and stopped, given eye contact and stopped, etc. The psychiatrist at the meeting told me I was in denial and it never happened. Even though I had witnesses to the facts.

11months later in Portland OR, I had him retested. After just 15 minutes I was told he looked autistic, due to arm flapping, licking smooth surfaces (1 way mirrors) and following the lines in the brick walls. Of course, they didn't diagnose him for 5 more hours as they had to make sure. I was so thankful that I was finally listened too.

His father called the navy hospital and asked "why wasn't he diagnosed with autism?" Their response was they don't diagnose anything other retardation after the age of 3. It was only 2 months after he turned 3 and took over a year to reschedule the original appt that was made at the age of 2.

My son is severely autistic. He wasn't fully potty trained until he was 8, he can not speak other than the word "home" and he gets upset when he isn't finished with something, or the schedule for the day is wrong. These are not excuses to treat him differently from the other children in the house for discipline though. He gets grounded from things he enjoys when he is hurtful to himself or others. It works, he is usually good for quite a few days. He understands a lot, he just doesn't understand why the world doesn't work by his rules.

I do treat him differently than the other children in our home, however they are all loved. They each get individual attention from me, but I know in the past they have felt ignored. He is no 18 and just starting on his journey as an adult autistic. He will probably live me for many years to come, but he has come so far. I know it is very stressful, and it can be totally overwhelming. I hope other parents who are struggling can find someone to help unload the burden. The county usually has some nursing/adult assistant programs to give you respite. Check into it. You have to remember to put yourself first every now and again.

And to all you children out there, I understand. My brother was diagnosed retarded in 1964 at the age of 4. We are almost positive he is a high functioning autistic. If his schedule is changed, a tv show is not on as scheduled etc, he will have a meltdown. I remember feeling like I was left out sometimes, especially being 10 years younger. But am so thankful now for him, as it has helped me with my son. God Bless to all who care or are living in this world with your family.

April 5, 2010 at 15:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Topher

Hi my name is Topher. I was diagnosed with Autism at age 20. I am 23 right now. I was always picked on by bulllies growing up in school. I went to public schools K-7 grade, 3 different Catholic schools between 8-11 grade. I was so sick of how the school system treated me that I left high school in 11th grade but went to community college to take classes in order to obtain my high school diploma from a homeschooling program based out of the state of Maine. I am now at community college and get decent grades but don't know if I could handle the 4 year college system where the work is alot harder and more fast paced. I have struggled to find a girlfriend too I have never had one and tried dating websites but when I tell women I have Autism they seem to want nothing to do with me after that. It's quite frustrating. And there is no help for me now because I am an adult and people only seem to care only about children with Autism which I get angry about because I never get the support I need and never got the support because doctors didn't diagnose me as a child even though my mother always insisted I was autistic.

April 26, 2010 at 23:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Rebecca

Thank you for addressing this issue. All parents of children with special needs worry about the future and wonder how the world will see their children. I was blessed to meet a young man in his twenties with autism who showed me my son Jude, who is ten, has a full life ahead of him.
    Please keep highlighting these needs...awareness is making a difference!

Rebecca

May 4, 2010 at 16:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Tina H

Thank you for shining a much-needed light on this topic. It is HIGH time that society started recognizing the multitude of adults who are struggling with autism. Older adults, such as my sister (aged 45, who has Asperger Syndrome) are especially suffering because services are geared toward the young. Insurance companies, doctors, employers, and the general public all need to be aware that these people are out there, including the older adult autistiics, and be willing to pitch in and help them. Autistic adults can do a lot when they and their families are allowed to receeive intervention.

July 22, 2010 at 16:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Jackie

I am a single mom with 1 son the age of 11 who is aspergers autistic & a little one of the age of 7 whom got a diagnose of PTSD & might also be ADHD. I don't think that my young sees the autism in his brother becuz he looks up 2 his older brother.

July 26, 2010 at 15:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Cristine

I really enjoyed reading this interview. We focus so much on parents how their lives are affected and we forget about siblings. I will be recommending Karl's book "Boy Alone" on our website. I post blogs on http://www.myspeechtherapycenter.com on communication wellness and awareness. Feel free to visit our site for free parent resources.

July 27, 2010 at 14:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Chelsea L.

I have High Functioning Autism/Asperger Syndrome dx as a teen. I am now almost 27 and I agree it is high time to "talk" about autistic adults. Unfortanantly I'm finding a lot of autism services are for those 25 and under, or maybe even 18 and under. I think autistic adults are a forgotten face in the world of autism spectrum disorders.
    I hope this will raise awareness of autistic adults, and more will be in the media in the future.
    -Asperger Adult in Canada

March 22, 2011 at 12:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Autism x factor

The fiscal weight for the family members having an Autistic kid could be impressive. School funding is difficult with best to come across as well as the most of financing pertaining to Autism, small ...autism

February 1, 2012 at 22:41 | Report abuse | Reply