home
RSS
March 12th, 2010

FDA issues new warning for Plavix

By Saundra Young
CNN Medical Senior Producer

A new boxed warning has been added to the anti-blood clotting drug Plavix by the Food and Drug Administration, who says the medication doesn't work well in people who have difficulty metabolizing the drug.

Plavix is used by patients with heart disease to help decrease risk of heart attack, stroke and death. It works on platelets–special blood cells that help blood clot to stop bleeding–by preventing blood clots from forming.

Plavix needs to be activated by the liver enzyme, CYP2C19. Patients that have reduced liver enzyme function can't activate the drug making it less effective for them. They're called "poor metabolizers" and this puts them at greater risk of heart attack, stroke and death.

"We want to highlight this warning to make sure health care professionals use the best information possible to treat their patients," said Mary Ross Southworth, a clinical analyst in the Division of Cardiovascular and Renal Products in the FDA's Center for Drug Evaluation and Research.

The Agency says there are tests available to evaluate CYP2C19 and determine if you are a "poor metabolizer." They say patients should talk to their doctors to determine if they should stop taking the drug.

Last November the FDA issued a warning about using Plavix in conjunction with over the counter stomach acid reducer Prilosec and Prilosec OTC when new data found that taking the two together reducedPlavix's anti-clotting effect by about half. .

Plavix is available only by prescription. It's made by Bristol-Myer Squibb and Sanofi Aventis, who issued the following statement "The revisions to the prescribing information for Plavix reflect the companies' ongoing research in collaboration with the FDA, which better defines the patient population that may be affected by a genetic variation in CYP2C19 and alternate treatment strategies."

1. Norman

I was so happy to get off of that drug. Taking it with aspirin on Dr's orders. When you get cut, you bleed and bleed and bleed. I would also get nose bleeds, which I never have had not taking that medication.

March 12, 2010 at 22:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. SeanP.

Hi, I'm just curious about what the possible symptom's or side effect's are with someone that is taking plavix and can not metabolize it proper.
    The reason I'm asking is because my dad is on it and had been on it for almost 9 years now.

March 13, 2010 at 21:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Randy

I'm on Plavix and aspirin as well, but 15 years post MI and open heart surgery plus two agioplasties and two stents, I'm alive and kicking and in the best health of my life. Sure I bleed a lot (I've ruined a lot of clothes from little scratchs and hangnails) but that's a small price to pay.

March 15, 2010 at 09:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Duane

i had a heart attack ten years ago, since then I have been taking Plavix and aspirin, I do not like this medicine either, because of the excessive bruising and bleeding,even a minor cut can send me to a Doctor to control the bleeding. I have blood work done once a year to check liver function and cholesterol levels, would this test detect weather or not my liver was processing the drug? My tests have all been fine for liver function.

March 15, 2010 at 09:29 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jojo

I think it is so scarry to beielve that moms and aunts and femal baby sitters are potentially dangerous that we do everything we can to shut out the information.Women have most of the access to children, and we like to think that they are all safe. It makes us feel better to do so, it is comfortable.But obviously, all women are not safe. And that is frightening. My daughter was harmed by a woman therapist. My father abused by a woman teacher for two years. We need to toughen up and face facts, that abuse is a human problem, not a male one.Trey

September 13, 2012 at 22:51 | Report abuse |
  5. jason twombley

As a former Plavix user due to a stroke, my Veterans Administration doctor switched me to a drug named Aggrenox (aspirin/extended-release dipyridamole) which seems to do the same thing as Plavix, with less risk. M y health seems to be the same, and my life activity hasnt suffered. I think the world of the Veterans Administration health care for keeping me alive.

March 15, 2010 at 09:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. norma wallin

My Mother is 91 yrs old and has been on plavix for about four years. Her skin is very thin, the plavix makes her body looked bruised and very bad. Would you advise me to talk to the doctor about the drug which Jason Twomley wrote in his comment. She also bleeds when gets cuts. Her skin is so thin the doctor told us to be careful not to grab her arms because the skin could tear.

March 15, 2010 at 14:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. pharmd

This new blackbox is not very useful clinically. I just don't see it ever happening where it becomes std of practice to order cyp isozyme evals for all patients.

Plavix is a fantastic drug...yes, you will tend to bleed a little bit longer, but hey, it beats being on coumadin and getting lab work done monthly(or more) or being on aggrenox and facing ridiculous headaches....and in the case of all these drugs, you face increased bleeding risk anyways.

March 17, 2010 at 03:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Very Concerned

I was recently told by a pharmacist that they would NOT put their spouse on Plavix (even though the spouse had a heart attack several years ago). Pharmacists know drugs. Doctor's often just prescribe and send you home. Is this a ambiguous drug with too many negative effects? Are their better options? Pharmacist recommends Vitamin E (at least 800IU). I had a TIA and can't get a clear perspective on this drug. Currently, Plavix lawsuits out there. It is now the second most prescribed drug on the market. Costly – no generic – big revenues for maker. Company did a little song and dance to renew patent on it. I would really like to know the truth about Plavix. I continue to ask doctors. Nothing but, "yes take it." I am allergic to aspirin.

May 2, 2010 at 17:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. OrnaraVobOren

i am professional designer, maybe you like to publish some of my pictures? i guess it would be neat for your blog 🙂
    absolutely enjoy your site structure! write me a email please in case you want to colaborate

December 12, 2010 at 23:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. ricardo

wife had a stient and was put on plavix, which she was also taking prilosec. she said she felt 30yrs younger. within 2wks she got a rash on her lower body and not feeling as good as after the stient was put in. 4wks after stient she got a 3in blood clot at her stient and was in hospital 11wks, life support 3 times. doctor said it was due to the prilosec counteracting the plavix. she is waiting for a heart transplant now. I have read that the drug company that makes plavix knew about the problem. too late for my wife. the FDA has finally expressed a concern.

January 1, 2011 at 19:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Samepesee

March 29, 2011 at 09:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. tofchonIPooff

как делать массаж видео

May 19, 2011 at 23:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. wabPeateber

гей онлаин видео бесплатно
    большие сиськи в анале
    бесплатные порно сайты инцеста

May 20, 2011 at 12:57 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Anoop

Dave T: If it works for you great. I don't like flags because they allow us to keep measgses in the inbox, after we've decided what work they require. This makes the inbox a place that holds a mix of processed and unprocessed measgses. It is much easier for a message to get lost under this pile and not be handled until it's too late.

September 12, 2012 at 04:29 | Report abuse |
  14. Phamnmync

Thanks for your tips on this blog.
    http://camera.jkr30.com/digital/ – mein blog

May 21, 2011 at 12:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. SetRourastere

у вашего блога великолепный диз, сами рисовали?

родословная фамилии окончено найти

May 22, 2011 at 14:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Pank-net

I like this this
    In my opinion you commit an error. Let's discuss. Write to me in PM, we will talk.

Pank-net

Fish tail fights.

November 20, 2011 at 04:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. smi.ar

http://a9m.ru/p/7197/ – Биржа пиара с покликовой оплатой

http://a9m.ru/p/7197/ – Рекламодателю
    Оплачиваются только реальные посетители;
    Качественный, живой и заинтересованный трафик из широкого спектра социальных медиа;
    Подробная статистика по кликам с возможностью обжалования качества выполнения задания;
    Отсутствие комиссии за ввод средств в систему

http://a9m.ru/p/7197/ – Вебмастеру
    Возможность монетизировать свои аккаунты в социальных медиа, таких как Twitter, группы и аккаунты Вконтакте, страницы и аккаунты Facebook, Google+ и даже блоги;
    Максимум прибыли за счёт полной свободы в написании сопроводительного текста при публикации ссылки заказчика;
    Гарантия получения денег за счёт системы холда;
    Возможность заработка непосредственно при добавлении площадки в систему;
    Выплаты по требованию, минимальная сумма — 100 рублей;

December 12, 2011 at 02:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. vvm64e4b

http://promgazarm.ru , , , , ,

January 16, 2012 at 09:52 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sabrina

Kareena December 31, 2008 I am preparing for the safsleorce certification exam, and have gone through your blog post. Thank you for taking the time to create this! Are many of the questions in the certification exam case study or scenario based? Or is the emphasis more on definitions and technicalities?

September 12, 2012 at 00:16 | Report abuse |
    • Liberto

I never watch Oprah. I apologize for the iemragy, but I'd rather rip out my own eyes with salad forks than watch that hideous, vapid cow.On the topic, I read Kathleen Parker's book "Save the Males" and couldn't read past chapter 7. Most depressing book I ever read in my life. Any woman that thinks life as a man in contemporary America is just a joyride should read that book. Also, "No More Mr. Nice Guy" by Dr. Robert A. Glover, which I'm reading now. Also addresses how life as a man in western society can be an exercise in getting your head completely f'ed up.Just my 2 cents. You may now amble about the cabin.

September 13, 2012 at 23:54 | Report abuse |
  22. e7xmynq

http://promgazarm.ru , ,

January 18, 2012 at 10:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. demon76

Всем Привет! Заходите на e2epro.com и читайте интересные статьи.

February 1, 2012 at 07:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Samuel Velez

So what happens if you have two stints of the kind which when installed required plavix for the rest of your life, which after being installed without your permission after being told that one was having a heart attack, you can't take plavix?

March 26, 2012 at 10:54 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ryuta

Linds Posted on my only thought on the color scmhee is Jesus loves His enemies? swell pics, bro very swell. (ps- you should feel special. your blog is pretty much the only one i ever check regularly.)

September 11, 2012 at 11:16 | Report abuse |
  25. CHEAP VPN

I have been looking for something like this, thanks! I think all of this helpful info are so helpful. Bookmarked, I Well check back later!

June 24, 2012 at 21:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Dogquaheagese

August 19, 2012 at 02:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Новости и обзоры из мира софта, игр, железа и высоких технологий, it

I cherished as much as you'll obtain carried out proper here. The cartoon is attractive, your authored material stylish. however, you command get bought an shakiness over that you want be delivering the following. sick indubitably come further in the past once more since precisely the same nearly a lot frequently inside case you protect this hike.

April 19, 2013 at 23:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Joaquina Inagaki

Furniture can be a product of design and is considered a form of decorative art. In addition to furniture's functional role, it can serve a symbolic or religious purpose. It can be made from many materials, including metal, plastic, and wood. Furniture can be made using a variety of woodworking joints which often reflect the local culture.-.

Best wishes
    <http://www.foodsupplementcenter.com/

May 7, 2013 at 10:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. many thanks for this copjfnpppp click here :o bdenctxdme [url="http://www.yvpwlasosjru.net"]or here[/url] :/ gzrulxny, :-( ynjscrcjax http://yvpwlasosjru.info :-( jvxznwd, B| disxnxqqkv [url=http://yvpwlasosjru.ru]griatovzav[/url] ;) ysljwcthzzyd, >:-O

frgwyfcbvzcp

June 29, 2013 at 08:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. nkg6zcgg

грпш-6 pg-concern.ru

March 20, 2015 at 07:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. DonaldPl

11]Продажа самурайских мечей. Доступные цены

Интернет-магазин Хорошие подарки осуществляет продажу сувениров Магазин Сllon.ru занимается продажей подарков и сувениров в городе Москва и области. Здесь Вы сможете приобрести самурайские мечи, кинжалы и арбалеты, подарочные кружки и бутыли, фарфоровые куклы, а также бронзовые, фарфоровые статуэтки, шкатулки для украшений. Кроме того, закажите родословные книги, модели парусников и другое. Доступные цены. Возможна доставка. Больше информации http://cllon.ru!

Модель парусника "Victory"

11]Оригинальные подарки и сувениры с доставкой по России

Интернет-магазин «Хорошие подарки» более 2000 наименований подарочной и сувенирной продукции

Хотите сделать оригинальный подарок? Заходите в интернет-магазин Сllon.ru. Здесь Вы сможете приобрести самурайские мечи, православные и восточные панно, бизнес-сувениры, а также канделябры и вазы, глобусы-бары и другое.

5 причин, по которым стоит приобрести подарки и сувениры у нас

1.Еженедельное обновление. Постоянно расширяем наш ассортимент – вы всегда сможете найти что-нибудь новенькое.

2.Помощь в выборе. Сомневаетесь в покупке? Позвоните нам по номеру, и мы подберем подходящий вариант.

3.Качественные товары. У нас нет дешевых китайских подделок: все товары привезены из Индии, Вьетнама, Таиланда.

4.Дополнительные гарантии. Не понравился товар? Обменяем на другой или без лишних вопросов вернем деньги.

5.Быстрая доставка. Все представленные в каталоге наименование есть на нашем складе – привезем заказ в течение дня после оплаты.

Этот топик также ищут по запросам:

купить барометры
    Модели парусников
    Бизнес сувениры
    Сувенирное оружие
    Глобус бар
    подарок мужу на день рождения
    Подарок любимому на день рождения

Автомат Калашникова