home
RSS
March 4th, 2010

How can I reduce salt in my diet?

As a feature of CNNhealth.com, our team of expert doctors will answer readers' questions. Here's a question for Dr. Gupta.

From Jack, who lives in New Jersey

My doc says I need to cut back my sodium. What is the best way?

Answer:

I can tell you, Jack, first of all this may be one of the most important questions we answer. When it comes to sodium, we simply eat too much. The average American consumes about 4,000mg per day of salt in his or her diet a day, but as an adult, we really need about half that – 2,300mg per day. Simply cutting back on sodium could potentially save about 150,000 lives a year according to the American Medical Association.

Of course, that's easier said than done. Especially because salt is hidden in almost everything we eat. Frozen foods are one of biggest culprits. Even the "healthy" frozen dinners can contain as much sodium as a person needs in an entire day. A big reason manufacturers pump their products with extra salt is that it's a good preservative – makes the shelf life longer. Canned foods, cereal and pastries are also some of the biggest culprits of '”hidden” high sodium levels. That is why reading the ingredient label is so crucial when you're shopping at the grocery store.

A good rule of thumb when reading labels is try to find foods that that have fewer than 5 ingredients. That's really going to help you make healthy food choices overall. Specific to sodium, pay attention to not only how many grams are listed on the label, but also the serving size. One can of soup lists a sodium content of 500mg, but if you examine the label a little further, the can of soup could contain three servings. That means eating one can of soup can almost tap out the amount of sodium you should have for the entire day.

One thing that we do in our house is never leave crackers or cookies just sitting out in a big box. We portion high-sodium and snack foods out which is really important because it helps limit the mindless eating that's so easy to do. Also, I've found a lot of people cook with salt or add it to prepared food for extra flavor simply out of habit. If that sounds like you, Jack, one tip is to remove the salt shaker from your table – just get it out of there altogether. You'll most likely find you don't even miss it. You can also take a trip to the spice isle next time you're at the grocery store. There are several salt substitutes and other salt-free seasonings that will add flavor to your food, without increasing your sodium intake. Incorporating just a few of these small changes into your daily diet can dramatically change your sodium intake. And Jack, I'm willing to bet you hardly notice any change in taste.

1. Robert E Henkin MD FACNP FACR

I think this is very difficult if you eat out at restaurants at all. It seems the dominant flavor in everything I order is salt. It doe not seem to matter if it is Mexican food ( I went to Champs, a local sports bar/restaurant and ordered shrimp fajitas. All I tasted was the salt. Last night I went to what used to be one of my favorite restaurants, Red Lobster for a healthy seafood dinner. When it arrived everything from the biscuits to the lobster tail had a dominant flavor of salt that even hid the flavor of the item. When a manger asked how my food was, I said it was way too salty, he just shrugged and walked away.

At home I never add salt and I try not to buy anything that is prepared food with over 500 mg of sodium per serving, but the serving sizes are ridiculous. A pint of soup cannot feed 5 people. We need to go after the manufacturers to get them to lower sodium content. I take three pills per days to keep my blood pressure normal, but everything I eat is working against me.

March 4, 2010 at 16:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. TK

I was contacted by CNN on healthcare issue involving cost, and that made me want to contact you on another cost issue, reimbursement to doctors. I am on medicare and have serious issues and no primary doctor will accept me where I live due to reimbursement issues in regards to medicare, and the time it takes for reinbursement was the other reason. On medicare I pay a premeium of a little under $100 a month and have no access to a doctor. Why would people think putting more people on medicare or another public health policy is going to work, the system the government has is broke, and poorly run. I have no care at all, except of course if an emergency happens and I go to the ER.

March 4, 2010 at 16:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. highlyirritable

I am young (at least I like to think so...) and was diagnosed with hypertension at 26 while pregnant with my first child. After even a substantial weight loss, my BP was relatively unaffected. For me, it was the sodium in my diet.

Not wanting to live a life on medication, I turned to the DASH diet. Although I am not perfect (who could be with today's food choices?) I *do* try to eat a whole foods diet, with plenty of fresh foods. One rule I find helpful when choosing foods condusive to a healthy BP is: will this food, if left unattended, rot? Apples? Yes. Zucchini? Yes. Fast Food french fries and store made pastries? A resounding NO.

Balance. Donuts today...spinach salad and roast vegetable for the next 10.

March 5, 2010 at 11:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. toriano

I have high blood pressure and I am sure this weekend didn't help it at all but I had fun

March 5, 2010 at 11:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Marla Heller, MS, RD

And, in addition to lowering sodium, national treatment guidelines for hypertension also recommend the DASH diet, which is rich in fruits, vegetables, low-fat and nonfat dairy, nuts/seeds/beans, and includes whole grains, lean meat/fish/poultry, heart-healthy fats, and limits refined and processed foods.

Marla Heller, MS, RD
    Author of The DASH Diet Action Plan

March 5, 2010 at 11:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. sodium sucks

I've traditionally been pretty healthy – watch what I eat, work out regularly, keep my weight in line (BMI of 22). I went on BP meds about 1.5 years ago, just before my 50th birthday. Hypertension runs on both sides of my family, so it was inevitable that I'd get it one day.

The last few months – the holidays, etc. – my BP was inching up in spite of my meds. Upon dropping my sodium intake substantially my dystolic reading went from 84 to 75 in just a week. Pretty significant...

March 5, 2010 at 12:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. jasonemryss

I agree with Dr. Gupta. Paying attention to the nutrition label is key to reducing your sodium. You could try Teas that aid in elimination like green tea and yerba mate. Those are excellent for reducing blood pressure and cholesteral.

March 5, 2010 at 13:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. lostvegan

Cook your own food from scratch.

Use unrefined sea salt rather than processed nutrient removed iodized salt.

Drink more water.

March 6, 2010 at 10:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. lostvegan

The reason our food is so full of salt is that we took out all the flavorful fat years ago. And our health suffered as a result. We need fat.

Eat good fat. Eat butter not rancid oils and margarines.

Make your own soups.

March 6, 2010 at 10:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Audra

My family history dictates high blood pressure and I am now on HBP medicine. My doctor told me to reduce my sodium intake and to maintain a healthy weight. She also told me to stay away from processed and frozen foods. I love pot pies and when I stopped to read the sodium content on the package of one I nearly passed out. I said I'm not eating that any more and I gathered the fresh vege's and products I needed to make my own pot pie. Taste better and was much better for me. I have gotten to the point now that I do not add salt to my food at the table. When I use salt in recipes I use sea salt or reduced sodium to help season or none at all. The big test for me was being able to eat a boiled egg without adding any salt at all. Not an every day food but when I do...no salt!

March 9, 2010 at 08:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Jennifer

I have been on a low sodium diet for much of my 20s due to my husband's renal transplant. It will take time for your taste buds to adjust, but they will.

If you look at a recipe, you can easily find ways to cut out the salt, like soaking canned food items or substituting stock for reduced sodium mixed with water. Of course, fresh is best.

It pays to actually read the label and compare the different brands. You will notice that several "lower sodium" items actually contain more sodium than non reduced products of a different brand.

March 9, 2010 at 13:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. karl helmstetter

depending on the dish, you can use hot sauce instead of salt. (your morning eggs, for example) more flavor, less sodium!

March 9, 2010 at 14:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Kathleen Bricketto

What about if a person appears to be naturally high in sodium? How do you combat that? We do not use any canned foods or processed foods high in sodium. He only eats all natural food from Whole Foods Market. My Dad is 80 years old and his sodium levels are too high. I have tried to increase his water intake but wondered if there is something else I should know.
    Suggestions?

March 9, 2010 at 14:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. dk

Try making your own bread.

When I started watching my sodium, I was quite shocked at how much salt is in a single slice of bread. Some 'healthy' wheat breads can contain more than 50% DV of sodium in a single sandwich.

Now I make my own loaves at home. I enjoy the Sunday afternoon task and I control how much salt goes in. Plus, It is so much more delicious than what I buy at the store.

March 9, 2010 at 14:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Colleen

What if I crave salt? I could live without sugar for the rest of my life, but take away the salt shaker and somebody is going to get hurt. Some days I crave it so bad that I eat salt straight out of the shaker. I get the shakes and hot flashes and dizzy if I don't eat salty foods. Is my body lacking some mineral or something else that is makes me crave salt so much. I have been this way since childhood. If you have ideas I would love to hear them.

March 9, 2010 at 15:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Kevin

Kathleen, does your Dad have other health problems, e.g., heart failure, kidney disease, use corticosteroids or have cushing's disease. There are many possibilities including inadequate hydration. You should bring your Dad to the doctor or perhaps you already have and although "high" his sodium levels are within normal limits??

March 9, 2010 at 15:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. PandaMama

Hopefully this information will help as it as helped me drop my bp medications from seven pills daily to just half a pill daily in less than a year under doctors' supervision and forty five pounds less......
    ...drink mostly purified water, eliminate all sodas, some alcohol in cooking and small juice for cooking or special occasions..
    ..go for whole grain, brown rice, and as organic as you can..can add flavor by cooking brown rice in homemade vegetable stock
    ..go for organic fruits and vegetables, eat the rainbow, cook foods from all cultures,.....plenty of delicious fresh herbs, spices sans salt, garlic, ginger, tumeric, lemon grass, aromatics, jalepenos, curry, basil, thyme, rosemary, et cetera
    ...steam and bake fish....only special birthday, holiday celebrations for the poultry, beef and pork and desserts...love those lentils, beans, tofu(which can adopt the flavor of anything) hummus
    ...fruit smoothies with greek yogurt and creamy banana solves the sweet tooth and occasional dark chocolate
    ...baked homemade sweet potato fries with red pepper flakes can taste better than french fries
    ...find a fun variety of exercises to do each day adding up to at least moving your body to an hour every day....go for the burn on your body muscles and good stinky sweating for at least twenty to thirty minutes of that hour....mark your progress so you can see your improvement......don't be afraid if your first session of belly dancing is more belly than dance..... pray,mediate, deep breathing daily...read labels religiously...eliminate all salt except for celebrations (holidays and birthdays)....set a goal that each day you will healthier and if you make a mistake, just try again and be patient with your yourself...Rome was not built in a day....life is a marathon...not a sprint..be strong so you can be there for your family and future grandchildren and great grandchildren. America needs strong, healthy residents to build our great nation.
    You can do it!--

March 9, 2010 at 16:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. lms

I noticed one comment regarding unrefined sea salt-be very carful of advice such as this. Salt is Salt, Sodium is sodium. I t does not matter if the salt comes from a mine in Louisiana, or the Pacific Ocean, salt in any form is posion to a person with hypertension. I wish it were not, I prefer saltly to sweet. Unfortunatly, those days are over. BTW-I still dont car much for sweets.

March 9, 2010 at 16:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Chris

The DASH Diet is unrealistic. Although 2,300 mg is an average that is said to be healthy, those with BP problems find it is impossible to eat the diet's recommended 1,500 mg of sodium.

That is, if you want to live a social life. If you want to stay home every day of your life and cook absolutely ALL your food, then the DASH Diet is for you.

I'm not one of those people. I love fresh vegetables, fruit and whole foods, but I also like to eat at a restaurant with friends from time to time.

The manufacturers of these sodium-heavy foods should be taken to task.

March 9, 2010 at 16:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Kechiro

My partner inherited HBP from both his parents, and we're trying the low-sodium diet as well. We're doing well with fish and rice, but salad dressing is a huge problem. Also, we're both cheese lovers, and cheese has an enormous amount of salt in it. What's worse is that he was just laid off and I work all day – I don't have time to cook everything from scratch (even if I cook enough for two or three meals, it doesn't help us at the end of the week. And he can't cook – trust me) and we can't afford some of the better-quality foods. I know I'm not alone. But what can we do when the food industry really stacks everything against us?

March 9, 2010 at 16:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Kim

No offense, but "champs" and "red lobster" hardly qualify as quality restaurants , it's like going to McDonalds and being upset that there is too much salt. Really the only difference is you have to tip these horrible waiters for bad service at these establishments...red lobster's seafood is not fresh, it is mostly farmed and they need to smother it in salty sauces to hide the lack of freshness. You have to pay a higher price for higher quality, (if you want a quality car buy a mercedes not a kia). That is why in our suffering ecomomy the few quality restaurants out there are forced to close their doors, or jack their prices, while champs and red lobster prevail bc sadly america's mentality believes this is where you eat good mexican or sea food.

March 9, 2010 at 17:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Johono

Dr, G
    Mayo Clinic Website one of many resources for all medical and health info. I am sure there are more.

People are finally getting the info they need and no where to apply it.
    Stop purchasing the inferior products and the ones that are loaded with all the chemicals...I know }hard to do. Mentioned in your article was moderation and portion size and not in the article was the need to teach the fact that there are what are called "sometime foods".

Use the power that we have to purchase and eat fresher foods and boycott the "sleazy eazy" choices that are at eye level

Take you healt into your own hands...I expect more, Seek Truth

March 9, 2010 at 17:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Anita

My dad came down with congestive heart failure two/three years ago. The first thing we had to do was cut our salt to nothing the first year. We had no idea what to make so we made grilled chicken with dash for the first 5 months, blah. But then, after a while we stopped being so cautious and just watched what we ate in general. My dad, b/c of his dietary restrictions, has not touched a salt shaker in 3 years.

To those who say, it's impossible. It's not. (It depends on living situations) We may be old fashion with a stay-at-home Mom and a working Dad, but we don't mind eating at home. It's the mentality of it all. "Better quality" food is just at your local farmers market or grocery store. Just fresh fruits and veggies, meat, pasta, eggs, and basic items are all a person needs and we're healthier because of it.

Looking at comments is amazing because, it seems so simple to cut down on eating out (we eat out 3 times a month). (Plus you save money... eating out is twice as expensive as home cooking).

March 9, 2010 at 17:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Jill

re salad dressing: oil + balsamic vinegar + basil, oregano, parsley and whisk it all up makes a great salad dressing and takes just a minute to make. you can make it up every night so it's super fresh. Also a lot of Swiss cheese is low in sodium... some only 35mg per slice. Ask at your deli counter.

Onion powder is an easy salt substitute in lots of foods – it's also great on popcorn!

March 9, 2010 at 17:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. mjh

No salt diet?

It is easy. Don't ingest it.

I managed to do this very easily. Only the individual is responsible for what one consumes.

Smart shopping. Smart restaurant dining. Stay away from chains, this is the lowest common denominator of processed foods: TGIF's, Panera, Red Lobster, Olive Garden, etc. They are all far worse than McDonald's (but that does not make McDonald's a viable contender to eat at, k?.

March 9, 2010 at 18:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Vikki Lorin

I am so facinated how our society finally get to the point that 'salt' is bad for your health when you over due the 4000mg a day, iit is like putting a heavy toxic in to your food unto your body, health and everything else...pls.. do not blame on restaurants the job that these place is to sell you the products which most of these were come in the 'mass production' for instance the 'Applebee' they do not have a real 'chef's' in the house but everything are "micro-wave heat up' process, most these food were bought in packages and just open it
    to look like it is 'prepare' in their 'kitchen' but it is completely wrong..the mis-undertstanding here, our society are becoming 'lazy's' they will not spent time in the kitchen, and try to create something a meal that is more with balance diet; small breakfast like cereal and fresh fruits, lunch will light turkey sandwich (with tomatoes, lettuce, cucumber), and dinner should be 4.0 oz of sirloin steak with small bake potato and chop of colorful salad, and light ranch to go with it...a person does not to eat like a (pig) to stay healthy...salt is out of menu in every 'dish' you will eat..like Dr. Sanjay G. said; no need to eat these type of food that can kill you sooner..enough to be in the ER..room, rescued for a heart attack if the body ooor the heart had or has too, much salt intake day to day meal either anykind of restaurant place do not be 'fooled' by their menus all, these are twice salty according to the dietary standard, analysis..

March 9, 2010 at 18:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Alison

Kechiro...allow me to sing the praises of Annie's Naturals "Lite Raspberry Vinaigrette"....it has 60mg of sodium per 2 Tbsp serving. Most mainstream dressings are at least 250mg. It reminds me of Kraft Catalina dressing.

Forget about the low-sodium stuff. If you look around at the regular supermarket and places like Whole Foods, there's plenty of no-sodium choices. Canned corn, tomato sauce, pasta sauce, tortilla chips, pinto beans, black beans, etc. All these I buy on a regular basis.

Swiss and Baby Swiss (milder) cheeses have much less sodium than Cheddar, Mozzerella, etc. (Baby Swiss makes a killer grilled-cheese sammich!)

March 9, 2010 at 18:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Marla Heller, MS, RD

Low salt doesn't have to be expensive or boring. Choose more fresh, not processed foods. Compare the price of a pound of potatoes vs. A pound of potato chips. Don't want to cook daily? Cook larger quanties on weekends, and freeze for the week. Miss cheese? Don't. Choose Swiss, and find other low sodium versions at the deli counter. Miss salt taste?Add lemon or lemon- pepper seasoning. Or add sauce that you make with onions, garlic, and red wine. And you will find it easy to stay on track.

Marla Heller, MS, RD
    Author of The DASH Diet Action Plan

March 9, 2010 at 19:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Jen

I think many people forget that sodium is only one element to consider in your diet... there is a balance between sodium and potassium, for example. Most people simply don't get enough potassium to offset the intake of sodium – the ratio should be at LEAST two to one, potassium to sodium. And that's the more conservative approach. With many drugs and caffeine intake, we lose much of that potassium and need to not only replace it, but keep up with what the body needs to balance the sodium. Google search the ratio and what foods you can eat to help increase your potassium intake – kiwi fruit, bananas, strawberries...mostly the sweet fruits...plus so many more natural foods... Good luck!

March 9, 2010 at 19:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Thomas

Robert MD if your going to Red Lobster for a healthy tasty seafood dinner you probably should look elsewhere

March 9, 2010 at 19:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Melissa

You can try using lemon juice to get the flavor of salt!

March 9, 2010 at 20:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Marla Heller, MS, RD

Note to Chris. Try reading The DASH Diet Action Plan. It is designed to be the user-friendly guide to the DASH diet. Most readers find it makes the DASH diet easy to follow. Check out the reader reviews on Amazon. I wrote the book because I found that other educational tools for the DASH diet left people with their eyes glazed over.

Thanks,

Marla Heller, MS, RD
    Author of The DASH Diet Action Plan

March 9, 2010 at 22:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. NM

After meal, eat one stalk of celery. It will reduce sodium in your system. In Asia, celery is consider a great medicine for high blood pressure problem.

March 10, 2010 at 11:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Michelle

There are some interesting responses in here.

First, not everyone needs to reduce the salt in their diet. I've been told to eat MORE salt, as my blood pressure is low, and the sodium level in my blood is borderline-low even when I'm eating extra salt. That being said, I'm an oddity, and I know it.

If I were to guess, I'd say the biggest culprit in people consuming too much salt is pre-made, pre-packaged food. The over-processed junk eaten by most Americans is absolutely flavorless without a boatload of salt, so that's what the manufacturers add. Salt, salt, and more salt. And some MSG for good measure, in case the old-fashioned sodium chloride isn't enough.

Want to cut salt? Cook your own food, and be aware of how much salt you add to it. Drink plenty of water to help your kidneys flush out the excess. It's really that simple.

I'm just amazed that people actually need someone to tell them such obvious things.

March 11, 2010 at 12:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. ekr

I am a 28 year old female with Meniere's Disease. This is an inner-ear disorder that I began suffering from in my early 20's. My doctor put me on a diuretic (water pills) and a low sodium diet. My limit was 1000 mg per day. After a couple of months (of feeling like I was starving!), I learned to eat mostly fruits and vegetables, and look at the labels of the foods I was eating. My symptoms (dizzy spells, earaches, headaches) are almost completely gone now. I manage my salt intake (I try to stay under 1500mg now) and drink lots of water. I exercise and feel great. My friends and family have been inspired to also look at the sodium in their food, not only because I am coming over for dinner, but because it's simply healthier. It's unbelievable the amount of salt packaged food and restaurants try to shovel down us!!! Something needs to change!!

April 1, 2010 at 11:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Ian Knight

My understanding is that only those with a predisposition to hypertension are at risk from excess salt and that is about 20% of the population. The rest of us can consume salt with impunity, although moderation is still wise. So, presumably the 150,000 lives that will be saved by reducing salt with be those with this predisposition?

April 21, 2010 at 10:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Marla Heller, MS, RD

Ian – Not exactly true. 90% of people who do not have hypertension when they reach 50, will develop it during their lifetime. And we become more sodium sensitive as we age.

And the "20%" number is (and was) low, and does not reflect the higher prevalence of obesity, diabetes, and hypertension that exists today.

Marla Heller, MS, RD
    Author of The DASH Diet Action Plan

April 22, 2010 at 15:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Mary

Kim: "it's like going to McDonalds and being upset that there is too much salt. Really the only difference is you have to tip these horrible waiters for bad service at these establishments"
    I know this is off topic, and I almost never reply to posted internet comments but I feel strongly about this one. My husband and I both waited tables to get through college. You do not have to tip waiters, it is socially appropriate depending on the service, but not required. The generalization that all waiters are horrible and provide bad service is ignorant and can't possibly create anything other than offense. There is a huge difference between McDonald's and Red Lobster but what they have in common is that both employ countless numbers of people who may not have jobs otherwise. I hope that you are not always this narrow-minded and maybe just having a bad day.

April 22, 2010 at 17:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Matthew Ulery, Hou, TX

Regulating the salt content in canned and frozen foods may cause companies to find other substance to maintain the shelf life of their products. Would the health benefits of reduced sodium be negated by increased preservatives?

April 25, 2010 at 08:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Sheila Kramer

I have been diagnosed with Hepatitis C in 1992, I received this horrid virus from two pints of blood received in the late 70's before blood was checked for this disease, same kind of thing that happened with HIV. I am 74 years old, pushing 75, and now my kidneys are also effected and I have Stage 3 kidney disease, which is considered mild by my kidney specialist, makes no sense to me because when I read about Stage 3, it sounds pretty scary. I am unable to tolerate the current meds which have caused my kidney disease, i.e. the Hepatitis, so I am working on trying to keep my blood pressure within normal limits, only made possibly by using 3 different drugs, the high bp runs in my family, but I have to watch potassium as mine often runs a tad high and that's not good, so not only do I have to monitor my salt intake, but also potassium. I find myself having to eat foods that are NOT considered healthy by today's standards, whole grains and many fruits, like kiwi, which I was eating daily for a long time without realizing what it was doing to me. I thought I was eating very well. I never used a salt shaker in a restaurant or at home, but I do admit I added sea salt to many recipes. We are of an age that our social activities revolve around eating out, honest folks, this does happen to most of us. We go out a few times a week and it's not been easy though I have found some restaurants, the better ones, will really try to accomodate me when I order all sauces and dressings on the side and I often bring my own, one of those spray ones that has very little sodium in it. I also bring my own cheese, goat cheese is not high is potassium or sodium and it tastes terrific for those of you who have never tried it, made some boring food taste so much better. I buy my no salt added turkey at Whole Foods, it is not cheap and it pretty much tastes like saw dust, but if I add spice and mustard it is tolerable. I also use egg white omelets, sometimes with low sodium swiss cheese or the goat cheese which I really prefer. If anyone, especially any professionals have any suggestions to make my life and my eating more palatable, I am open to suggestions of any kind. I also exercise almost daily, walking at least one hour, weights a couple of times a week and we ballroom dance twice a week for a couple of hours. It is a constant battle, just trying to make life joy filled instead of depressing. This was a shock to me because I have always lived a healthy lifestyle and this hit me between the eyes and has kept me very depressed for a very long time. OK, I hope I hear from someone, maybe someone who has experienced my personal health disaster.

May 1, 2010 at 15:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Aiping Wang

When you put on extra pounds your face also reflects your weight gain, mostly in your cheeks and chin. Chubby cheeks may look cute on a kid, but when you want to go out on a date your chubby cheeks and double chins are definitely an eye sore.

July 31, 2010 at 09:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. Dad Clauss

SALT IS GOOD!

DAD FELIX THOMAS CLAUSS

August 30, 2010 at 15:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Dad Clauss

I LOVE JOSEPH V. DILLLULO!

DAD Clauss

August 30, 2010 at 16:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. Joseph V. Dilullo

I love Dad Thomas Felix Clauss, mather -in llaw and best friend!

Joe

August 30, 2010 at 16:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. Joseph V. Dilullo

Dad Clauss financed my first restaurant.

Joe Dilullo

August 30, 2010 at 16:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. JOSEPH V. DILLULO

I m the Greatest businessman, Philadelphia ever produced.

Joe

August 30, 2010 at 16:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. JOSEPH V. DILLULO

Obama should produce a college diploma.

Joe D.

August 30, 2010 at 16:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. Nancy Sharon Axilbund

Obama does not have a Birth Certificate.

He was born in Cambodia.

N.S. Axilbund

August 30, 2010 at 18:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. James Earl Dontino

Nancy Axilbund is correct Obama is from Cambodia.

September 2, 2010 at 01:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. James Earl Dontino

With people starving in Darfour, and fat Rob Reiner so depressed, must we have this stupid debate?

September 2, 2010 at 01:20 | Report abuse | Reply