home
RSS
February 25th, 2010

When will we see a herpes cure?

As a feature of CNNhealth.com, our team of expert doctors will answer readers' questions. Here's a question for Dr. Gupta.

From Lloyd Bartley, Bowling Green, Kentucky

“How close are scientists to developing a cure for herpes, figuratively speaking will we be seeing a break through in 10, 20, or even 30 years?”

Answer:

Well, Lloyd, there is good news and bad news on the herpes front. The good news: Researchers have made serious strides and now better understand the mechanism behind herpes outbreaks. The bad news: There is very little funding for that research.

After receiving your question we reached out to a leading herpes expert, Bryan Cullen, the director at the Center for Virology at Duke University. Cullen is hopeful that a cure for herpes could come within 10 years, once funding hurdles are crossed.

Nearly one in five people over age 12 in the U.S. is affected by herpes. It is caused by a virus - either the herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1) or the herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2). Both strains can cause genital herpes, but HSV-1 usually infects the mouth and produces cold sores.

Despite funding challenges, Cullen and his team are inching closer to a cure. They conducted a study recently that identified the pathway herpes takes as it infects. They now know how herpes embeds itself into the cells and how it eludes treatment. Now that they have honed in on the physiology of the disease - and its triggers - researchers believe they are steps closer to creating drugs that could cure herpes.

While we wait for a cure, there are drugs out there that can at least suppress herpes. Three antiviral drugs: acyclovir, valacyclovir, and famciclovir are commonly recommended to quell outbreaks. A physician might recommend taking these drugs when an outbreak occurs to quiet symptoms; or taking them continuously to reduce the likelihood of an outbreak.

And of course the best way to avoid spreading herpes is to abstain from sex, but if you are sexually active, engage in safe-sex practices such as using condoms.

Filed under: Expert Q&A • Sex • Virus

soundoff (1,802 Responses)
  1. Albert Derrick

contact the man that cured my 2 years herpes type 1 and 2. he was able to to rid this nasty virus that have defile medical in all attempt in my life and now i am free and my sex life is awesome so i put it upon myself to share this great news till it reach as many that are suffering from one disease or the other to cheer for there is hope and light at the end of the tunnel. Here is the Man's email: oseweagbonifo@gmail.com. he never employed me to do this but doing it because i want to put a smile on someone's face and help rid the world of diseases in my little way.

January 30, 2018 at 06:53 | Report abuse | Reply
    • drfavourherbalcentre

my name is Dennis it was a greatest surprise to me that i was cured from herpes virus by a powerful herbal doctor, it was just like a dream to me i taught that their is no cure for herpes because for about six years i spent so much of my money in hospital but no improvement i was confuse in life until a friend of mine introduce me to this herbal doctor i contacted him favourherbalcentre@gmail.com if their can be any help and he promise to help me, he prepared a herbal medicine for me i followed his instruction after 14 days i went to hospital for test but i was cured it was a greatest surprise to me so i decide to share this testimony. a very big thanks to this herbal doctor who save my life, please if you have this kind of sickness or any disease do not give up you can contact him favourherbalcentre@gmail.com

February 10, 2018 at 02:11 | Report abuse |
  2. Luis Alfred

This is my testimony how I was cure by AZUKA WHO CURE MY DISEASE I AM VERY HAPPY ,NOW IF ANY BODY WHO WANT TO CURE ANY TYPE OF DISEASE YOU HAVE TO ADD HIM ON WHATSAPP+2348081770821 OR EMAIL HIM AZUKADR5@GMAIL.COM.

January 30, 2018 at 16:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. KATHERINE CHARLOTTE Arlene

I've been using MMS and KANGEN water for my Crohn's disease and have been in remission since April 2010 and not ONE flare up since and I can eat just about anything I want without problems considering I am now missing part of my colon because I nearly died from the disease and c.diff. I am a believer in MMS and use it for various things. KANGEN water, MMS and my health and fitness lifestyle keeps me healthy and feeling good. Screw those ppl who talk crap about MMS cuz I know they are ghost writers for the FDA who own the word CURE. The government makes money off of us when we get sick because then drugs get prescribed and the government makes money off the pharmaceutical industry I hope you will join me in raising your voices with me. i will like you to contact : homeofnaturalremedy@gmail.com to get cured with MMs composition

January 30, 2018 at 19:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. david kelvin

Hello everyone here in this forum i am so glad that i have this great opportunity to come out here and share my testimony on how Dr. Ebose who help my Husband to cure LUPUS. Lupus is a virus from the devil who seeks to kill steal and destroy. Don’t let him! God wants to heal you and make you pure… it IS his will, and don’t let anyone else tell you otherwise! Reach EBOSE SPELL TEMPLE by email ebosespelltemple@gmail.com or eboseherbalhome1254@yahoo.com

CALL OR WHATSAPP +2348160157518,
    facebook page.. https://web.facebook.com/Dr-Ebose-solution-home-457263734623569/

January 31, 2018 at 11:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. David

God bless Dr innocent for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES since 2013 and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr innocent how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine through UPS SPEED POST. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 14 days later i was cured from HERPES, Dr. innocent truly you are great, do you need his help also? Why don't you contact him through: (drkokolow@gmail.com) or you can also reach him on phone: +2348058832454 OR 08066246077 thank you

DOCTOR INNOCENT CAN AS WELL CURE THE FOLLOWING DISEASE:-

HIV/AIDS
    HERPES
    CANCER
    AND BRING BACK YOUR LOVE ONCE TO YOU .David

February 1, 2018 at 06:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. princessmorgan

I caught genital herpes from my Ex Husband in 2012,he never told me about the virus. I had it for 6 years with so many outbreak,and it affected my life.. People think herpes is really a minor skin irritation herpes has a long term effects on health. The stigma attached to this virus by ignorant people is ridiculous. Most people have herpes in one form or another,i was first taking Antiviral medicines, such as acyclovir(Zovirax), famciclovir (Famvir), and valacyclovir (Valtrex), are recommended for treating primary genital herpes outbreaks. This medicine can be taken when an outbreak occurs. It can also be taken every day to help prevent outbreaks,it is not a total cure... I will like to tell everyone who is reading this my testimony on how i get rid of my genital herpes.I was reading a comment on the internet,and i saw a testimony posted by a young lady from USA that she got rid of her herpes with the help of Doctor WILLIAMIJEBU ,a Traditional Herbalist from Africa.So i was so happ
    y when i saw that post,that his herbal medication Cure the virus totally.I quickly copied the herbal doctor email address and i email him within 30 minutes he respond to my mail.I explain things to him he told me not to worry that i should fill his herbal form which i did..The next day he told me that he has prepare the herbal medicine,that i should send him my home address that he want to send his HERBAL MEDICINE to me via DHL or FedEx that was how i got the herbal medication and i use it as i was instructed.After a week i went to see a Medical Doctor who confirmed my herpes was no more.When Mira a friend of mine saw my HOSPITAL TEST RESULT she was surprise and i also introduce her to Dr WILLIAMIJEBU and she also got cured from same Genital herpes Virus.I also refer my COUSIN to the same herbalist who was having HIV and DIABETES and today she is fully cured...If you have Genital or Oral herpes or any kind of Diseases or infections,kindly contact HERBALIST IJEBU via his email;
    williamijebu@GMAIL.COM
    He also have a herbal cure for Following DISEASES,this is not scam is 100% Real.
    -GENITAL AND ORAL HERPES
    you can also contact him on 2348059622304

February 2, 2018 at 17:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Larry homans

I want to thank Dr Prof Maduike Ezeibe for the herbal remedy he gave to me, i was suffering from HIV/ADS for so many years, but to God be the glory that i am healed with the herbal medicine that Dr Prof Maduike Ezeibe gave to me when i contacted him. i want to use this medium to tell everyone that the solution to our sickness has come, so i will like you to contact this great healer on his email address: profmaduikeezeibe17@gmail.com with him all your pains will be gone, i am really happy today that i am cured of HIV/ADS, i am now free from HIV/ADS VIRUS after the use of his herbal medicine. Once more i say a big thank you Dr Prof Maduike Ezeibe for healing me, i say may God continue to bless you abundantly and give you more power to keep helping those that want your help in their lives. contact him now on his email: profmaduikeezeibe17@gmail.com Or whatsAap contact +2349061392631

February 2, 2018 at 22:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. mariacooker

I want to appreciate Dr obor for using his herbal medicine to cure my
    family from herpes virus, since 3 years, my family have been having this
    herpes disease and it has been giving my family challenges,we were so
    perplexed cause my family have taken several drugs to be cured but every of
    our effort was in vain,one morning i was browsing through the Internet then
    i saw several testimonies about Dr obor curing people of their herpes
    disease and immediately i contacted Dr obor on his email:
    hsvcurehome@gmail.com, told him about my family troubles and he told me
    that my family must be cured, so he prepared a herbal medicine for my
    family which we used for 2 weeks and everything was like a dream for my
    family, right now, my family herpes disease was totally gone,why don't you
    contact him today and be free from your disease... His email is,
    hsvcurehome@gmail.com, send him message on whats sup +2348105813057

February 4, 2018 at 06:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. sammy

thank you to asotieherbalhome@gmail.com for curing me of my herpes

February 5, 2018 at 03:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Viki Gabardi

site:inurl:Fascinating blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere? A theme like yours with a few simple adjustements would really make my blog stand out. Please let me know where you got your design. Cheers

February 6, 2018 at 10:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. sammy

i never thought i would be alive today,thank God for using this doctor to heal me, i'm so happy living a free life now.you can reach him here asotieherbalhome@gmail.com

February 7, 2018 at 04:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Ashley

Hello everybody I am here to show to dr ehi the great herbal doctor that help me got rid of our different virus which we contacted, And after so many search looking for medical cure to our illness which no medical doctor had cure to with no choice I was forced to share my pain to a friend who had bell's palsy and she directed me to this amazing herbal doctor with great powers who her got total cure and she assured me that dr ehi will help me get total rid of my herpes virus and for my husband's hpv with the help of his herbal herbal cure and so surprising after taking his herbal treatment i and my husband was totally cure and for 2 months now we have not experienced any symptoms i am so happy today tell you all my story though it's cost me some money but I guarantee you he is one man you can contact for help and he will help you with his great powers. So if you have been looking for cure to whatever illness you are suffering from contact dr ehi by visiting his drudebhuluhome@gmail. com and you will be glad you came to him for help for I strongly believe dr ehi will never fail in his herbal solutions ok.

February 8, 2018 at 10:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Julia

Living with Herpes can be really hard. So it's important for we people with Herpes to find a place to get support and find love. Fortunately, a friend of mine who is a single with Herpes told me that the largest Herpes dating site http://www.PeopleLivingWithHerpes.com now has more than 560,000 members, which makes it's easier for singles with Herpes to find support and love.

February 11, 2018 at 03:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. drfavourherbalcentre

my name is Helen i am very happy to testify and inform the general public that I am finally cured from Herpes virus totally with the use of a powerful herbal medicine, from a great herbal doctor i contacted through favourherbalcentre@gmail.com the powerful herbal medicine cured me totally and i was tested negative after usage, I am using this means to inform other's people who have the virus that there is a cure for Herpes It is absolutely true. I was cured by Dr favour i advice you if you have herpes or any kind of deadly disease you can Contact him for help and get totally cured by his powerful herbs

February 12, 2018 at 02:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. joy

I have been suffering from HIV/AIDS disease for the last three years and had constant pain, especially in my body. During the first year,I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.This disease started circulate all over my body and i have been taking treatment from my doctor, few weeks ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information concerning the prevention of this disease, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from (Herpes virus and Cancer) by this Man Dr. OSAMA and she also gave the email address of this man and advise we should contact him for any sickness that he would be of help, so i wrote to Dr OSAMA telling him about my HIV/AIDS he told me not to worry that i was going to be cured!! hmm i never believed it,, well after all the procedures and remedy given to me by this man few weeks later i started experiencing changes all over me as the Dr OSAMA assured me that i have cured,after some time i went to my doctor to confirmed if i have be finally healed behold it was true, So friends my advise is if you have such sickness disease, HERPES CURE OR CANCER OR HPV CURE,HIV&AIDS, or any other at all you can Dr OSAMA on: WhatsApp +2349030783501 email osamaomos@gmail.com for help..............

February 14, 2018 at 21:37 | Report abuse | Reply