home
RSS
February 25th, 2010

When will we see a herpes cure?

As a feature of CNNhealth.com, our team of expert doctors will answer readers' questions. Here's a question for Dr. Gupta.

From Lloyd Bartley, Bowling Green, Kentucky

“How close are scientists to developing a cure for herpes, figuratively speaking will we be seeing a break through in 10, 20, or even 30 years?”

Answer:

Well, Lloyd, there is good news and bad news on the herpes front. The good news: Researchers have made serious strides and now better understand the mechanism behind herpes outbreaks. The bad news: There is very little funding for that research.

After receiving your question we reached out to a leading herpes expert, Bryan Cullen, the director at the Center for Virology at Duke University. Cullen is hopeful that a cure for herpes could come within 10 years, once funding hurdles are crossed.

Nearly one in five people over age 12 in the U.S. is affected by herpes. It is caused by a virus - either the herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1) or the herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2). Both strains can cause genital herpes, but HSV-1 usually infects the mouth and produces cold sores.

Despite funding challenges, Cullen and his team are inching closer to a cure. They conducted a study recently that identified the pathway herpes takes as it infects. They now know how herpes embeds itself into the cells and how it eludes treatment. Now that they have honed in on the physiology of the disease - and its triggers - researchers believe they are steps closer to creating drugs that could cure herpes.

While we wait for a cure, there are drugs out there that can at least suppress herpes. Three antiviral drugs: acyclovir, valacyclovir, and famciclovir are commonly recommended to quell outbreaks. A physician might recommend taking these drugs when an outbreak occurs to quiet symptoms; or taking them continuously to reduce the likelihood of an outbreak.

And of course the best way to avoid spreading herpes is to abstain from sex, but if you are sexually active, engage in safe-sex practices such as using condoms.

Filed under: Expert Q&A • Sex • Virus

soundoff (1,707 Responses)
  1. Doris Kins

hello Everyone, my names Doris Kins, i am from Florida USA. I want to share
    my testimonies to the general public on how this great man called Dr Mazik
    cure my herpes. I have been a HERPES patient for over A YEAR AND TWO MONTHS and i have
    been in pains until i came across this lady when i traveled to Africa for
    Business trip who happen to once been a herpes patient, i explained every
    thing to her and she told me that there is this Great DOCTOR that help her to
    cure her herpes and she gave me his email address for me to contact and i
    did as she instructed. And the man Dr Mazik told me how much to buy the
    herpes herbal medication and how i will get it, which i did. And to my
    greatest surprise that i took the Herpes herbal medicine for just one week
    and behold i went for a herpes test, for to my greatest surprise for the
    Doctor confirmed me to herpes free and said that i no longer have herpes in
    my system and till now i have never felt any pains nor herpes again, so i
    said i must testify the goodness of this man to the general public for if
    you are there surfing from this Herpes problems or any deadly disease or
    other disease for i will advice you to contact him on his working email:
    (drmazikpowers@gmail.com)and i assure you that he will help you just
    as he did for me okay
    contact him on his email:(drmazikpowers@gmail.com)
    THESE ARE THE THINGS Dr Mazik
    15. Menopause – male
    16. Menopause – peri
    17. Menstruation problems
    18. Mercury Poisoning
    19. Migraine
    20. Miscarriage
    21. Mites (demodex mites)
    22. Mites (scabies mites)
    23. Motion sickness
    24. Mouth ulcer
    25. MRSA
    26. Multiple sclerosis
    27. Muscle cramps
    28. Myodesopsia
    29. Stroke
    30. He can as well cast and remove spell

March 12, 2017 at 18:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. licia101

You should have contacted Dr. Bill Halford about his Theravax vaccine. It is a therapeutic as well as a profolactic. His is the most promising is seems to be the safest. He is actually doing studies outside of the us and they will be available for purchase as well next month.

March 12, 2017 at 21:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Branden Acron

I think you have mentioned some very interesting points , regards for the post.

March 14, 2017 at 11:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. brittany yates

Good News My People ..I Want To Appreciate Dr.SEBI Herbal Medicine Is A Good Herbal Medicine For( HIV ) I Was Diagnosed With Hiv Virus Last Month,And Was Look For Solution To Be Cure Luckily I Saw A Testimonies On How Dr.SEBI Cure Hiv Virus I Decided To Contact Dr.SEBI I Contacted Him He Prepared A Herbal Medicine Portion And Sent It To Me,I Started The Herbal Medicine For My Health.He Gave Me Step By Step Instructions On How To Apply It, When I Applied It As Instructed, I Was Cured Of This Deadly Herpes Virus Within 2weeks, I Am Now Hiv Negative.My Brother And Sister I No That There Are So Many People That Have There Same Herpes Virus Please Dr SEBI To Help You Two,And Help Me To Thank Dr.SEBI For Cure Me, I’m Cured By Dr.SEBI Herbal Medicine,His Contact

March 16, 2017 at 02:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. brittany yates

March 16, 2017 at 02:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. annaya

Whenever you search for herpes cure, you might have seen many treatment options for treating its annoying symptoms. Do you know which one is effective? I have read on different sites and according to my experience, lemon balm for herpes is a good option for any herpes sufferer. There is lemon balm for genital herpes also which can reduce the pain and discomfort associated with genital herpes. I must say, try lemon balm remedy and surely you will get positive results in few days.

March 16, 2017 at 08:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. brittany yates

Good News My People ..I Want To Appreciate Dr.SEBI Herbal Medicine Is A Good Herbal Medicine For( HERPES VIRUS ) I Was Diagnosed With HERPES Virus Last Month,And Was Look For Solution To Be Cure Luckily I Saw A Testimonies On How Dr.SEBI Cure HERPES VIRUS I Decided To Contact Dr.SEBI I Contacted Him He Prepared A Herbal Medicine Portion And Sent It To Me,I Started The Herbal Medicine For My Health.He Gave Me Step By Step Instructions On How To Apply It, When I Applied It As Instructed, I Was Cured Of This Deadly Herpes Virus Within 2weeks, I Am Now HERPES Negative.My Brother And Sister I No That There Are So Many People That Have There Same Herpes Virus Please Dr SEBI To Help You Two,And Help Me To Thank Dr.SEBI For Cure Me, I’m Cured By Dr.SEBI Herbal Medicine,His Contact http://drsebispelltemple.wixsite.com/spelltemple
    Or Cell Whatsapp Number 2348153863900.

March 17, 2017 at 18:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. brittany yates

Or Cell Whatsapp Number 2348153863900.

March 17, 2017 at 18:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. tracy marks

Good News My People ..I Want To Appreciate Dr.SEBI Herbal Medicine Is A Good Herbal Medicine For (HERPES VIRUS) I Was Diagnosed With Herpes Virus Last Month,And Was Look For Solution To Be Cure Luckily I Saw A Testimonies On How Dr.SEBI Cure Herpes Virus I Decided To Contact Dr.SEBI I Contacted Him He Prepared A Herbal Medicine Portion And Sent It To Me,I Started The Herbal Medicine For My Health.He Gave Me Step By Step Instructions On How To Apply It, When I Applied It As Instructed, I Was Cured Of This Deadly Herpes Virus Within 2weeks, I Am Now Herpes Virus Negative.My Brother And Sister I No That There Are So Many People That Have There Same Herpes Virus Please Dr SEBI To Help You Two,And Help Me To Thank Dr.SEBI For Cure Me, I’m Cured By Dr.SEBI Herbal Medicine,His Contact http://drsebispelltemple.wixsite.com/spelltemple
    Or Cell Whatsapp Number 2348153863900.

March 18, 2017 at 07:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. tracy marks

Thanks to God and also to dr sebi , the great herbal man that cured me of HIV/AIDS. I contacted the virus from my partner three year ago, i almost
    spent all i had because i was restless , until i saw people testimony about Dr sebi recommendation online for how he has being curing HIV with his
    herbs, and i emailed him and he told me how to get the herb. You can contact him on 2348153863900 or email him at http://drsebispelltemple.wixsite.com/spelltemple

March 21, 2017 at 10:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. bella tracy

MY TESTIMONY
    Or Cell Whatsapp Number 2348153863900.

March 22, 2017 at 15:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. sarah david

My Herpes Testimony
    Good News My People ..I Want To Appreciate Dr.SEBI Herbal Medicine Is A Good Herbal Medicine For( HERPES VIRUS ) I Was Diagnosed With HERPES Virus Last Month,And Was Look For Solution To Be Cure Luckily I Saw A Testimonies On How Dr.SEBI Cure HERPES VIRUS I Decided To Contact Dr.SEBI I Contacted Him He Prepared A Herbal Medicine Portion And Sent It To Me,I Started The Herbal Medicine For My Health.He Gave Me Step By Step Instructions On How To Apply It, When I Applied It As Instructed, I Was Cured Of This Deadly Herpes Virus Within 2weeks, I Am Now HERPES Negative.My Brother And Sister I No That There Are So Many People That Have There Same Herpes Virus Please Dr SEBI To Help You Two,And Help Me To Thank Dr.SEBI For Cure Me, I’m Cured By Dr.SEBI Herbal Medicine,His Contact e
    Or Cell Whatsapp Number 2348153863900.

March 24, 2017 at 07:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. tracy marks

Good News My People ..I Want To Appreciate Dr.SEBI Herbal Medicine Is A Good Herbal Medicine For( HERPES VIRUS ) I Was Diagnosed With HERPES Virus Last Month,And Was Look For Solution To Be Cure Luckily I Saw A Testimonies On How Dr.SEBI Cure HERPES VIRUS I Decided To Contact Dr.SEBI I Contacted Him He Prepared A Herbal Medicine Portion And Sent It To Me,I Started The Herbal Medicine For My Health.He Gave Me Step By Step Instructions On How To Apply It, When I Applied It As Instructed, I Was Cured Of This Deadly Herpes Virus Within 2weeks, I Am Now HERPES Negative.My Brother And Sister I No That There Are So Many People That Have There Same Herpes Virus Please Dr SEBI To Help You Two,And Help Me To Thank Dr.SEBI For Cure Me, I’m Cured By Dr.SEBI Herbal Medicine,His Contact Email http://drsebispelltemple.wixsite.com/spelltemple
    Or Cell Whatsapp Number2348153863900.

March 26, 2017 at 14:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. MEDRANO

To enjoy good health, to bring true happiness to one's family, to bring peace to all, one must first discipline and control one's own mind. If a man can control his mind he can find the way to Enlightenment, and all wisdom and virtue will naturally come to him
    Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/topics/topic_wisdom.html.,,.

March 26, 2017 at 20:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. mike deniel

Testimony testimony, am drogogo the , prophet
    ogogo is the best solution to all of your problem, six years
    ago , my wife suffered from womb cancer , and as a result of
    that she was unable to bear a child, I was so worried and
    almost got married to another woman,but I didn't because I
    love my wife so much, four months ago I saw a post on the
    internet of a prophet and how he cured a man from a brain
    tumour, so I contacted him through the information I got on
    the internet , and I explained things to him, and today my
    wife is cured from womb cancer and now she is pregnant,
    prophet ogogo cures all problems physical or spiritual, he is
    the best for any problem, you can whatsapp him
    +2348109518358 or call him +2348162977063

March 28, 2017 at 17:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Aleshia Bonneville

I gotta bookmark this web site it seems invaluable invaluable

April 8, 2017 at 20:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. RichardTutt

Adidas Stan Smith Herren
    Although it is a great idea to post on a regular basis in order that you not have end users get bored with your blog, you do not desire to be excessive with your content possibly. In the writing a blog community quality articles that may be written more infrequently is a lot more valuable than articles published every single day that is not important.

To improve your financial savings when you use discount coupons, make use of them to purchase items which have sale as well as at stores that offer double or triple promotion savings. Whenever you buy something that is on sale and make use of a promotion which is doubled or tripled, you might find which you pay out cents to the piece or perhaps buy it at no cost!
    Adidas La Trainer Camo

April 8, 2017 at 21:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. melisa eva

hello everybody, I want to let the world know about Dr Hazim, I never thought that I will live on earth before the year runs out. I have been suffering from HERPES VIRUS GENIAL,Living with HERPES VIRUS is like living in hell and i never knew i could get out of this hell until i came across testimonies of people whom has been suffuring FOR HERPES VIRUS saying thing on the internet about how this great Dr, African traditional doctor cured their HERPES VIRUS GENIAL.Some other people said he also CURE HIV while others who has been healed from(Cancer lung) At first i thought those testimonies where one of those bunch of trash posted by scams on the internet. But because i was desperate and wanted to try anything and everything just to get well,This disease has been trying to circulate all over my body and i have been taking treatment from my doctor but not well,so i wrote to Dr Hazim telling him about my HERPES VIRUS GENIAL he told me not to worry that he will help me to be cured, hmm i never believed it, well after all the procedures and herbal cure given to me by this Dr Hazim few weeks later i started experiencing changes all over me, and suddenly after some time i was finally healed, friends i will advise if you have any sickness at all you can email him on usmandrhazim@gmail.com and you are an herpes simplex patient please friends i will advice you to contact him now so that you can be cure on time or call his Mobil number +2348032140659 or you can add him on whatsapp :+2348154641673

April 10, 2017 at 09:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. sandra dave

April 11, 2017 at 17:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. lorgan grace

Oririuddo@gmail.com @gmail.com just to give him a test I spoke to him, he asked me to do some certain things which I did, he told me that he is going to provide the herbal cure to me, which he did, then he asked me to go for medical checkup after some days after using the herbal cure, behold I was free from the deadly disease, he only asked me to post the testimony through the whole world, faithfully am doing it now, please brothers and sisters, he is great, I owe him in return. if you are having a similar problem just email him on (
    Oririuddo@gmail.com @gmail.com ) or you can whatsApp his mobile number on 2349067955441

April 19, 2017 at 02:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. lorgan grace

HelloHappiness is all i see now I never thought that I will be cured from HERPES virus again. I have been suffering from a deadly disease (HERPES) for the past 3 years now, I had spent a lot of money going from one places to another, from churches to churches, hospitals have been my home every day residence. Constant checks up have been my hobby not until this faithful day, I was searching through the internet, I saw a testimony on how DR oriri helped someone in curing his HERPES disease, quickly I copied his email which is

April 19, 2017 at 17:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. gladis blessing

hello everybody,
    i don't just know the reason why some people is finding it difficult to believe that there is a cure for HERPES, i have been suffering from HERPES since last three years with my boyfriend but today i am happy that am cure from it with the herbal medicine of DR SEBI the great healer,i was browsing the internet searching for help when i came across a testimony shared by someone on how DR SEBI cure her HERPES i was so much in need of getting his treatment but after all DR SEBI brought a smile to my face with his herbal medicine. i am so much happy today that we have someone like this great healer out there, so my people out there kindly contact this great healer on his website: please sir keep your good work cause there are people out there who is in need of your healing medicine.once more contact him now: you can call him or whatsApp his number 2348153863900 thanks DR SEBI for your great works this are also the diseases DR SEBI cures

HIV/AIDS
    HERPES
    DIABETES
    ASTHMA
    SYPHLIES

April 20, 2017 at 11:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. sandra dave

hello everybody,
    i don't just know the reason why some people is finding it difficult to believe that there is a cure for HERPES, i have been suffering from HERPES since last three years with my boyfriend but today i am happy that am cure from it with the herbal medicine of DR SEBI the great healer,i was browsing the internet searching for help when i came across a testimony shared by someone on how DR SEBI cure her HERPES i was so much in need of getting his treatment but after all DR SEBI brought a smile to my face with his herbal medicine. i am so much happy today that we have someone like this great healer out there, so my people out there kindly contact this great healer on his website: please sir keep your good work cause there are people out there who is in need of your healing medicine.once more contact him now you can call him or whatsApp his number 2348153863900 thanks DR SEBI for your great works this are also the diseases DR SEBI cures

HIV/AIDS
    HERPES
    DIABETES
    ASTHMA
    SYPHLIES

April 20, 2017 at 18:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Milton Broome

Hi friends!
    I am Milton Broom by name and i live in USA and i want to use this great opportunity to share with you a testimony on how i was cured from GENITAL HERPES with the help of Dr TWINS Herbal Medicine.

Over 2 years now i have been suffering and living in pain with this deadly virus Herpes, fear grew in my mind everyday as i heard there is no cure for it, but to me i knew that medical drugs was not the only option in treating viruses and infection, my greatest problem was that i was stocked in pain as the symptoms has circulated over my body.
    Few Months ago i decided to get more information online concerning herpes,and while i was surfing the web, i came across some great testimonials from various people on how Dr TWINS has been using his herbal medicine to cure different diseases, at first i was shocked as i have never heard of such thing before, and also i doubted if it was true as it never came up on media, these people gave out the email address of Dr TWINS and advised we contact him for any problem, though i was doubting him i decided to put a test on it, moreover it was the fist time for me to hear something like that, i copied the email address of Dr TWINS and i sent him a message about my health status and i also requested for his medicine in order for me to get good health, he gave me a responded after some hours and he told me the procedure involved in order for me to get his medicine, he also said to me he was going to send me some herbal liquid medicine which I was going to take for 2 weeks and after 2 weeks i will be totally cured.
    I went with Dr TWINS and i followed exactly as i was told by this man, after 3 to 5 days of communication i eventually received a package from the mailing service and that was the medicine sent by Dr TWINS
    I started taking the medicine as i was directed by Dr TWINS and after 2 weeks i also started seen some changes on my skin, and after a month passed i noticed that the rashes on my skin are cleared and i was now urinating without pains, i was surprised and i had a thought to myself again LIKE! IS THIS REALLY WORKING OUT? when i noticed this changes i contacted this Great PAP and i told him about it, he told me to go to the hospital and do some check up if the virus is still there, i actually went to the hospital on Friday to do some test and after 3 days the result came out that i was completely free from HERPES, still many people will not believe this, but it really works.
    Dr TWINS, is a brave man and he is set to answer all human diseases, today i am living in good health as just with a test i conquered my pain and sorrow, Please you can contact Dr TWINS for any problem or viral disease email him immediately for your complains :PEACEHELPMEDICALCENTRE@HOTMAIL.COMl.com.

April 21, 2017 at 07:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. tricia583

I am here to give my testimony about Dr SAMBOLLA who helped me.. i want to inform the public how i was cured from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) by Dr SAMBOLLA, i visited different hospital but they gave me list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex which is very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedy on HERPES and i saw comment of people talking about how Dr SAMBOLLA cured them. when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that i took for just 2 weeks and it seriously worked for me, my HERPES result came out negative. I am so happy as i am sharing this testimony. My advice to you all who thinks that therE is no cure for herpes that is Not true just contact him and get cure from Dr SAMBOLLA healing spell cure of all kinds of sickness you may have. Remember delay in treatment leads to death.. email sambollatradomedical@gmail.com

April 21, 2017 at 17:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. ogala

God bless Dr. EROMOSELE for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES since 2012 and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr. EROMOSELE, how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine through UPS SPEED POST. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 14 days later i was cure from HERPES, Dr. EROMOSELE truly you are great, do you need his help also? Why don't you contact him through text on whatsap [+2348022010422]

April 21, 2017 at 20:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. sandra dave

I Am Here Again To Say A Big Thanks To Dr.Sebi For Making Me A Complete woman Again, I Was Infected With Herpes For 5 Years I Have Been Seriously Praying To God And Searching For Cure. I Came Here Last Month To Search For Solution To My Problem And I Saw A Comment Of People Talking About Different Doctors And God Directed Me To Choose Dr.Sebi And I Contacted Him, He Sent Me A Medicine And Directed Me On How I Will Take The Medicine For 7 Days, I Did So And Went For A Test And My Result Came Out As Negative. I Am So Happy, I Shared Tears Of Happiness And I Have Taken It Upon My Self To Always Testify About How God Used Dr.Sebi To Solve My Problem. I Am A Clean woman Now, Without Any Virus If You Are Infected With Any Disease Like HIV AIDS, CANCER ,HERPES Or Any Other Disease You Can Also Be Happy Like Me By Contacting Dr Sebi Through His Email Whatsapp number 2348153863900 ....

April 22, 2017 at 15:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Milton Broome

Hi friends!

Dr TWINS, is a brave man and he is set to answer all human diseases, today i am living in good health as just with a test i conquered my pain and sorrow, Please you can contact Dr TWINS for any problem or viral disease email him immediately for your complains :PEACEHELPMEDICALCENTRE@HOTMAIL.com.

April 24, 2017 at 02:17 | Report abuse | Reply