home
RSS
February 25th, 2010

When will we see a herpes cure?

As a feature of CNNhealth.com, our team of expert doctors will answer readers' questions. Here's a question for Dr. Gupta.

From Lloyd Bartley, Bowling Green, Kentucky

“How close are scientists to developing a cure for herpes, figuratively speaking will we be seeing a break through in 10, 20, or even 30 years?”

Answer:

Well, Lloyd, there is good news and bad news on the herpes front. The good news: Researchers have made serious strides and now better understand the mechanism behind herpes outbreaks. The bad news: There is very little funding for that research.

After receiving your question we reached out to a leading herpes expert, Bryan Cullen, the director at the Center for Virology at Duke University. Cullen is hopeful that a cure for herpes could come within 10 years, once funding hurdles are crossed.

Nearly one in five people over age 12 in the U.S. is affected by herpes. It is caused by a virus - either the herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1) or the herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2). Both strains can cause genital herpes, but HSV-1 usually infects the mouth and produces cold sores.

Despite funding challenges, Cullen and his team are inching closer to a cure. They conducted a study recently that identified the pathway herpes takes as it infects. They now know how herpes embeds itself into the cells and how it eludes treatment. Now that they have honed in on the physiology of the disease - and its triggers - researchers believe they are steps closer to creating drugs that could cure herpes.

While we wait for a cure, there are drugs out there that can at least suppress herpes. Three antiviral drugs: acyclovir, valacyclovir, and famciclovir are commonly recommended to quell outbreaks. A physician might recommend taking these drugs when an outbreak occurs to quiet symptoms; or taking them continuously to reduce the likelihood of an outbreak.

And of course the best way to avoid spreading herpes is to abstain from sex, but if you are sexually active, engage in safe-sex practices such as using condoms.

Filed under: Expert Q&A • Sex • Virus

soundoff (1,691 Responses)
  1. Doris Kins

hello Everyone, my names Doris Kins, i am from Florida USA. I want to share
    my testimonies to the general public on how this great man called Dr Mazik
    cure my herpes. I have been a HERPES patient for over A YEAR AND TWO MONTHS and i have
    been in pains until i came across this lady when i traveled to Africa for
    Business trip who happen to once been a herpes patient, i explained every
    thing to her and she told me that there is this Great DOCTOR that help her to
    cure her herpes and she gave me his email address for me to contact and i
    did as she instructed. And the man Dr Mazik told me how much to buy the
    herpes herbal medication and how i will get it, which i did. And to my
    greatest surprise that i took the Herpes herbal medicine for just one week
    and behold i went for a herpes test, for to my greatest surprise for the
    Doctor confirmed me to herpes free and said that i no longer have herpes in
    my system and till now i have never felt any pains nor herpes again, so i
    said i must testify the goodness of this man to the general public for if
    you are there surfing from this Herpes problems or any deadly disease or
    other disease for i will advice you to contact him on his working email:
    (drmazikpowers@gmail.com)and i assure you that he will help you just
    as he did for me okay
    contact him on his email:(drmazikpowers@gmail.com)
    THESE ARE THE THINGS Dr Mazik
    15. Menopause – male
    16. Menopause – peri
    17. Menstruation problems
    18. Mercury Poisoning
    19. Migraine
    20. Miscarriage
    21. Mites (demodex mites)
    22. Mites (scabies mites)
    23. Motion sickness
    24. Mouth ulcer
    25. MRSA
    26. Multiple sclerosis
    27. Muscle cramps
    28. Myodesopsia
    29. Stroke
    30. He can as well cast and remove spell

March 12, 2017 at 18:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. licia101

You should have contacted Dr. Bill Halford about his Theravax vaccine. It is a therapeutic as well as a profolactic. His is the most promising is seems to be the safest. He is actually doing studies outside of the us and they will be available for purchase as well next month.

March 12, 2017 at 21:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Branden Acron

I think you have mentioned some very interesting points , regards for the post.

March 14, 2017 at 11:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. brittany yates

Good News My People ..I Want To Appreciate Dr.SEBI Herbal Medicine Is A Good Herbal Medicine For( HIV ) I Was Diagnosed With Hiv Virus Last Month,And Was Look For Solution To Be Cure Luckily I Saw A Testimonies On How Dr.SEBI Cure Hiv Virus I Decided To Contact Dr.SEBI I Contacted Him He Prepared A Herbal Medicine Portion And Sent It To Me,I Started The Herbal Medicine For My Health.He Gave Me Step By Step Instructions On How To Apply It, When I Applied It As Instructed, I Was Cured Of This Deadly Herpes Virus Within 2weeks, I Am Now Hiv Negative.My Brother And Sister I No That There Are So Many People That Have There Same Herpes Virus Please Dr SEBI To Help You Two,And Help Me To Thank Dr.SEBI For Cure Me, I’m Cured By Dr.SEBI Herbal Medicine,His Contact

March 16, 2017 at 02:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. brittany yates

March 16, 2017 at 02:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. annaya

Whenever you search for herpes cure, you might have seen many treatment options for treating its annoying symptoms. Do you know which one is effective? I have read on different sites and according to my experience, lemon balm for herpes is a good option for any herpes sufferer. There is lemon balm for genital herpes also which can reduce the pain and discomfort associated with genital herpes. I must say, try lemon balm remedy and surely you will get positive results in few days.

March 16, 2017 at 08:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. brittany yates

Good News My People ..I Want To Appreciate Dr.SEBI Herbal Medicine Is A Good Herbal Medicine For( HERPES VIRUS ) I Was Diagnosed With HERPES Virus Last Month,And Was Look For Solution To Be Cure Luckily I Saw A Testimonies On How Dr.SEBI Cure HERPES VIRUS I Decided To Contact Dr.SEBI I Contacted Him He Prepared A Herbal Medicine Portion And Sent It To Me,I Started The Herbal Medicine For My Health.He Gave Me Step By Step Instructions On How To Apply It, When I Applied It As Instructed, I Was Cured Of This Deadly Herpes Virus Within 2weeks, I Am Now HERPES Negative.My Brother And Sister I No That There Are So Many People That Have There Same Herpes Virus Please Dr SEBI To Help You Two,And Help Me To Thank Dr.SEBI For Cure Me, I’m Cured By Dr.SEBI Herbal Medicine,His Contact http://drsebispelltemple.wixsite.com/spelltemple
    Or Cell Whatsapp Number 2348153863900.

March 17, 2017 at 18:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. brittany yates

Or Cell Whatsapp Number 2348153863900.

March 17, 2017 at 18:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. tracy marks

Good News My People ..I Want To Appreciate Dr.SEBI Herbal Medicine Is A Good Herbal Medicine For (HERPES VIRUS) I Was Diagnosed With Herpes Virus Last Month,And Was Look For Solution To Be Cure Luckily I Saw A Testimonies On How Dr.SEBI Cure Herpes Virus I Decided To Contact Dr.SEBI I Contacted Him He Prepared A Herbal Medicine Portion And Sent It To Me,I Started The Herbal Medicine For My Health.He Gave Me Step By Step Instructions On How To Apply It, When I Applied It As Instructed, I Was Cured Of This Deadly Herpes Virus Within 2weeks, I Am Now Herpes Virus Negative.My Brother And Sister I No That There Are So Many People That Have There Same Herpes Virus Please Dr SEBI To Help You Two,And Help Me To Thank Dr.SEBI For Cure Me, I’m Cured By Dr.SEBI Herbal Medicine,His Contact http://drsebispelltemple.wixsite.com/spelltemple
    Or Cell Whatsapp Number 2348153863900.

March 18, 2017 at 07:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. tracy marks

Thanks to God and also to dr sebi , the great herbal man that cured me of HIV/AIDS. I contacted the virus from my partner three year ago, i almost
    spent all i had because i was restless , until i saw people testimony about Dr sebi recommendation online for how he has being curing HIV with his
    herbs, and i emailed him and he told me how to get the herb. You can contact him on 2348153863900 or email him at http://drsebispelltemple.wixsite.com/spelltemple

March 21, 2017 at 10:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. bella tracy

MY TESTIMONY
    Or Cell Whatsapp Number 2348153863900.

March 22, 2017 at 15:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. sarah david

My Herpes Testimony
    Good News My People ..I Want To Appreciate Dr.SEBI Herbal Medicine Is A Good Herbal Medicine For( HERPES VIRUS ) I Was Diagnosed With HERPES Virus Last Month,And Was Look For Solution To Be Cure Luckily I Saw A Testimonies On How Dr.SEBI Cure HERPES VIRUS I Decided To Contact Dr.SEBI I Contacted Him He Prepared A Herbal Medicine Portion And Sent It To Me,I Started The Herbal Medicine For My Health.He Gave Me Step By Step Instructions On How To Apply It, When I Applied It As Instructed, I Was Cured Of This Deadly Herpes Virus Within 2weeks, I Am Now HERPES Negative.My Brother And Sister I No That There Are So Many People That Have There Same Herpes Virus Please Dr SEBI To Help You Two,And Help Me To Thank Dr.SEBI For Cure Me, I’m Cured By Dr.SEBI Herbal Medicine,His Contact e
    Or Cell Whatsapp Number 2348153863900.

March 24, 2017 at 07:43 | Report abuse | Reply