home
RSS
February 25th, 2010

When will we see a herpes cure?

As a feature of CNNhealth.com, our team of expert doctors will answer readers' questions. Here's a question for Dr. Gupta.

From Lloyd Bartley, Bowling Green, Kentucky

“How close are scientists to developing a cure for herpes, figuratively speaking will we be seeing a break through in 10, 20, or even 30 years?”

Answer:

Well, Lloyd, there is good news and bad news on the herpes front. The good news: Researchers have made serious strides and now better understand the mechanism behind herpes outbreaks. The bad news: There is very little funding for that research.

After receiving your question we reached out to a leading herpes expert, Bryan Cullen, the director at the Center for Virology at Duke University. Cullen is hopeful that a cure for herpes could come within 10 years, once funding hurdles are crossed.

Nearly one in five people over age 12 in the U.S. is affected by herpes. It is caused by a virus - either the herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1) or the herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2). Both strains can cause genital herpes, but HSV-1 usually infects the mouth and produces cold sores.

Despite funding challenges, Cullen and his team are inching closer to a cure. They conducted a study recently that identified the pathway herpes takes as it infects. They now know how herpes embeds itself into the cells and how it eludes treatment. Now that they have honed in on the physiology of the disease - and its triggers - researchers believe they are steps closer to creating drugs that could cure herpes.

While we wait for a cure, there are drugs out there that can at least suppress herpes. Three antiviral drugs: acyclovir, valacyclovir, and famciclovir are commonly recommended to quell outbreaks. A physician might recommend taking these drugs when an outbreak occurs to quiet symptoms; or taking them continuously to reduce the likelihood of an outbreak.

And of course the best way to avoid spreading herpes is to abstain from sex, but if you are sexually active, engage in safe-sex practices such as using condoms.

Filed under: Expert Q&A • Sex • Virus

soundoff (1,762 Responses)
  1. Izazal

You are welcome to the home of solution, a place where you can get all your problems solved, cry no more, worry no more. I am are here to help you with Natural Herbal Medicine, we prepare medicine that can cure all kind of disease such as HIV/Aids *Kidney failure *Arthritis *Diabetes *Hypertension*Stroke *Obesity *Infertility, Cancer *Eye Problem *Skin Infection *Ulcer *Asthma *Weight Management *Gonorrhea/Staphylococcus *Candide *Low sperm can *Weak erection *Weak ejaculation etc, We solve all kind of problem And we also cast a spell to reconnect broken marriage and relationship etc. We sell promotion/salary increment and success Ring. If you have problem you can whats app me on: +2349038790901 or email: drizazal@gmail.com

July 21, 2017 at 14:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. caroline

Hi.. i`m caroline and you can add me on facebook with my email charlsecaroline081@gmail.com
    Africans have thought me lesson never to quickly forget in a research to get cured from Herpes.
    Well, i will refer you to an American (Dr david grein) who have been able to get some cannabis and other ingredient to kill the Virus and i have been tested Cured/Negative from Herpes.
    He sent me the concoction through USPS and i receive the Herbs. then, he told me how to apply not to get over dozed to avoid side effect. because OILMEN T from cannabis was added to kill the Virus email is
    davidgrein088@gmail.com I think its advisable to always put things to test. as i have been a third testimonial from Georgia…
    My igg result now 0.3
    His vaccines fight other Virus… HPV, Cancer nd Mongellons

July 22, 2017 at 02:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. cartier love anhänger Nachahmung

This is my first time pay a visit at here and i am genuinely pleassant to read everthing at single place.|
    cartier love anhänger Nachahmung http://www.wieschmucktragen.com/

July 31, 2017 at 06:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. vivian

Hello i am Vivian, all thanks to Dr. Bahati for curing

me from HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS / HPV with his herbal

medicine, i do not have much to say but with all my

life i will for ever be grateful to him, and God

Almighty for using Dr. Bahati to reach me when i

thought it was all over, today i am strong and happy

with my life again after the medical doctor has

confirmed my HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS / HPV of 5 is gone,i

have never in my life believed that HERPES SIMPLEX

VIRUS could be cured by herbal medicine. so i want to

use this opportunity to reach other victims of such

ailment to embrace this opportunity and contact him via

his email addresses: ( dumabahati@dr.com,

dumabahati@gmail.com ) or his cell phone number

+254786913785

August 8, 2017 at 19:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. DR Ohen

Hello to you all my name is Dr.Ohen Eki the great master of habal

medicine
    we all know that the wolrd we live today is full of differnt sorrows and

pains
    we see people die everyday sometimes those people are our naigbours

and families members
    and those people die because of deaceses which has ceculate the world
    what are we all doing to stop it not to come close to us our naigbours and

families members
    am here to help you and your friends, family members stop those

sickness, i am the greats master of Herbal i deal with
    diebeties, , Gonorrah, vigirnal dicharge, Tubercolosis, cancer
    stomarch pains body pain, Daebites, GET PREGNANT, HIV AIDS, BLOOD

PRESSURE LOW SPERM COUNT, HSP ,HVP, NO MAN OR WOMAN IS

TALKING TO YOU AGAIN ABOUT LOVE, HOLD YOUR LOVER CLOSE,

Pregnacy Protections, ocsser and all kinds of deseaces in the world.

contact him on odionogbodu@gmail.com , low spem count, and unlocking

of womb , child birth, you know so many homes today don't have a child

they have
    been runing here and there going to hospital everyday still no issue my

brothers and sisters this is
    a great opportunity for you to have your children, or you have been

working for long but no promotions contatct me on

odionogbodu@gmail.com.

August 11, 2017 at 19:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Mas informacion

Yo no estoy convencido con lo aqui reflejado, pienso sinceramente que hay muchos elementos que no han podido ser considerados en cuenta. Pero valoro mucho vuestra opinion, es un buen post.
    Saludos

Mas informacion http://www.canal54.es/enportada/noticias-castilla-y-leon

August 14, 2017 at 08:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Micheal Peter

What can i say about him i am very grateful to see i am finally cured from this HSV2, it have been going to about 1 year and 6 month when i have this sickness i have try different means to get my self cure but nothing work out, i can stand and say today with the help of herbal medicine and Dr. OWEGBE there is cure to HSV 2.
    i found out about this man through daniel paisley on a blog which talk about herpes cure, how he was cured through the herbal medicine which was sent to him from doctor abegbe so i keep in contact with daniel paisley how all this work so he explain to me very well that the herbal need to be taking twice a day morning and evening, there is going to be soap for bathing too, and the amount it cost, so i was so very happy to hear such i quickly email the doctor for the herbal in 4 days time i have the herbal medicine in my country USA and the doctor write along with the instruction how to applied the medicine i am very happy now to tell you this i am negative from HSV 2 after taking the herbal for 2 week, i know there are many people in the world who is also in searching for cure, you can just email my doc now for the herbal medicine through now OWEGBEDANIEL88@GMAIL.COM OR OWEGBEDANIEL88@GMAIL.COM And if you which to talk to me and get more information about my doctor please just email me through this email: Michaelromson1@gmail.co my name is Michael romson
    And he also have cure to the following sickness
    HIV/AIDS
    HPV
    CANCER
    Herpes cure
    ALS... An if you also what to connect with him well you can add this WhatsApp number +2349072279418

August 23, 2017 at 15:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Jesse Grillo

I appreciate you. awesome job on this article! I like your write ups however... I am super dyslexic. Do you have Youtube videos on the subject?

August 30, 2017 at 17:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. DR Ebhohime

brittany mark

Good News My People ..I Want To Appreciate Dr.EBHOHIMEN Herbal Medicine Is A Good Herbal Medicine For( HIV ) I Was Diagnosed With Hiv Virus Last Month,And Was Look For Solution To Be Cure Luckily I Saw A Testimonies On How Dr.EBHOHIMEN Cure Hiv Virus I Decided To Contact Dr.EBHOHIMEN I Contacted Him He Prepared A Herbal Medicine Portion And Sent It To Me,I Started The Herbal Medicine For My Health.He Gave Me Step By Step Instructions On How To Apply It, When I Applied It As Instructed, I Was Cured Of This Deadly Herpes Virus Within 2weeks, I Am Now Hiv Negative.My Brother And Sister I No That There Are So Many People That Have There Same Herpes Virus Please Dr EBHOHIMEN To Help You Two,And Help Me To Thank Dr.EBHOHIMEN For Cure Me, I’m Cured By Dr.EBHOHIMEN Herbal Medicine,His Contact Ebhohimespelltemple78@yahoo.

September 1, 2017 at 07:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. DR Ebhohime

JANIFFER WILLIAMS

September 1, 2017 at 08:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. DR Ebhohime

brittany JOHN

September 1, 2017 at 08:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Jesse Grillo

You are obviously very knowledgeable. Your website was already loaded when I turned on my computer.

September 1, 2017 at 09:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. robert

Hello friends,
    I was suffering from ( HERPES DISEASE ) for over 3 years,i was hopeless until one of my friend directed me to a man called Dr david schaffer, she said he cure Herpes disease and also said he has helped her friend to cure Herpes Virus, and cure other people with different diseases, i never believed her but after a lot of talk, i decided to give the DOCTOR a try, just few days later i contacted him and he told me what to do which i did and he sent me some drugs with prescriptions on how i will take it for a period of days. After i finished taking the medicine he told me to go for a test which i also did and when the result came out i was surprised to see that i am Negative. Big thanks to him. You can also contact him via: davidherpesresearchteam@hotmail.com
    if you need his help for HERPES cure.

September 3, 2017 at 05:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Dana Bono

Hi there, truly turned into aware of your blog page by way of Google and yahoo, and discovered that it is seriously informative. I am just going to be aware for brussels. I might be thankful if you decide to keep on this in the future. Several people could be benefited from your authoring. Many thanks!

September 10, 2017 at 20:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Script

Extraordinary work right here. We in reality enjoyed what you had to say.

September 15, 2017 at 21:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Mechelle Necy

My name is Mechelle Necy , I am here to give my testify about this doctor EDE who helped me out of my illness . I was infected with HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS in 2009, i was going to so many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so I was thinking how can I get a solution out so that my body can be okay. One day I was in the river side thinking where I can get solution. so a lady walked to me telling My me why am I so sad and i open up all to her telling her my problem, she told me that she can help me out, she introduce me to a doctor who uses herbal medication to cure HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS and gave me his email, so i mail him. He told me all the things I need to do and also give me instructions to take, which I followed properly. Before I knew what is happening after two weeks the HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS that was in my body got vanished . so if you are also heart broken and also need a help, you can also email him* at: edeharbelhome@gmail.com at edeharbelhome@gmail.com

September 24, 2017 at 21:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. NORA GEORGE

I used the most amazing therapy to cure my hsv1&2.
    It's quit funny how powerful herbs have become over medicals, Dr Igho Itua have the most safe cure for herpes and other stubborn viruses.
    contact him via his personal email address which is ighoitua@gmail.com. trust me you will like this method, it's safe cheap and easy. do well to let others know about this great doctor.

October 3, 2017 at 15:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Lizzy Sylvia

Hello Every one I am Lizzy Sylvia I have been suffering from a deadly
    disease called HERPES for the past 1year and 2months now, and i have
    spent a lot of money and my time going from one hospital to another
    seeking for solutions, and going for Constant check up became my hobby, not until last Month, as i was searching through the internet, and i saw a testimony on how GREAT DR PAPA has helped so many sick People and saved lives in curing different kinds of disease, quickly i copied his email Address which is greatpapa78@gmail.com ,And I had a conversation with him and he assure me that he will cure me which i 100% believe him base on the conversation i had with him. He told me that he is going to prepare herbal medicine and have it brought to my door step which he did as he said, then he asked me to go for medical checkup after 3 weeks of taking the herbal medicine, and i did exactly as i was instructed, i went for check up and test was carried out on
    me, and behold the result came out negative I was tested Herpes Negative and there was no any symptoms of any disease in my body again. I couldn't believe my eyes that i was free from the deadly disease, I am so happy now and i will forever remain thankful and
    grateful to GREAT PAPA for making me live my normal life again, GREAT DR PAPA has only asked me to show appreciation and ask me to share my story and testimony to the whole world, faithfully am doing it now, please brothers and sisters this man is indeed a great man and his cure is 100% permanent i owe him a lot in my life. If you are having a similar problems just email him on greatpapa78@gmail.com you can also call or whatsapp him on:+2349036137605 and have your problems solve once and for all. He also said that with herbs he can cure any kind of sickness no matter the condition. Give him a trial now and share your testimony.

October 10, 2017 at 14:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Amanda steve

Wow! i'm free Dr. Ehiagwina cured me from GENITAL HERPES with Natural herbs here’s his
    email address: ehiagwinaherbalhome@gmail.com

October 23, 2017 at 17:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. soul saver hack 2017

Thank You for this.

http://www.ehacks69.us/2017/payeer-money-adder-generator-hacker-acedsoft-key-codes-2017/ acedsoft download

October 27, 2017 at 04:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Pablo Dancoes

Aw, this was a really nice post. In idea I want to put in writing like this additionally – taking time and actual effort to make an excellent article… however what can I say… I procrastinate alot and certainly not appear to get one thing done.

November 5, 2017 at 10:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. DR ANAKWA

Greetings to the general public, i want to inform the public how i was cured of HERPES Simplex Virus by a Doctor called DR ANAKWA. I visited different hospitals but they gave me list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and
    Valtrex which is very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedy on HERPES and i saw
    comment of people talking about how DR ANAKWA cured them of their diseases. When i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that i took and it seriously worked for me,i am a free person now without problem, my
    HERPES result came out negative. I pray for you DR ANAKWA God will give you
    everlasting life, you shall not die before your time for being a sincere and great men. Am so happy, you can also contact him if you have any
    problem via

Email:dranakwaherpescure@gmail.com

Phone Number: +2349069972904

November 8, 2017 at 10:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. ebosele

Am using this media as a point of contact to everyone out there with HIV and AID ,any kind of sickness that there is a cure ,since 2014 I pray daily and seek Dr,and all they gave me is drugs and treatment but everything remains the same ,I came across a post that I read and really I doubted because I have tried different kind of medication and nothing happen but when I contact this man name Ebosele from Africa who used herps in curing all kinds of diseases a human being can be affected with ,behold now glory be to God I meet this man who cured me and now am HIV negative,please my brother and sister don't waist your precious time at these our hospital who gave pills and no result,it's can be your turn to be healed of your sickness here is my whatsapp number +16316377577,contact me and I will lead you to DR Ebosele ,thank you

November 17, 2017 at 16:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. ansleykate

you can easily get cured from herpes i was cured by obinyan herbal doctor you can also contact him obinyanherbalcure@gmail.com

November 20, 2017 at 05:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. ebosele

November 20, 2017 at 09:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Charleen Vanzante

Please give your time to watch this video

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q4vCO8ghn4&w=640&h=390]