home
RSS
February 25th, 2010

When will we see a herpes cure?

As a feature of CNNhealth.com, our team of expert doctors will answer readers' questions. Here's a question for Dr. Gupta.

From Lloyd Bartley, Bowling Green, Kentucky

“How close are scientists to developing a cure for herpes, figuratively speaking will we be seeing a break through in 10, 20, or even 30 years?”

Answer:

Well, Lloyd, there is good news and bad news on the herpes front. The good news: Researchers have made serious strides and now better understand the mechanism behind herpes outbreaks. The bad news: There is very little funding for that research.

After receiving your question we reached out to a leading herpes expert, Bryan Cullen, the director at the Center for Virology at Duke University. Cullen is hopeful that a cure for herpes could come within 10 years, once funding hurdles are crossed.

Nearly one in five people over age 12 in the U.S. is affected by herpes. It is caused by a virus - either the herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1) or the herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2). Both strains can cause genital herpes, but HSV-1 usually infects the mouth and produces cold sores.

Despite funding challenges, Cullen and his team are inching closer to a cure. They conducted a study recently that identified the pathway herpes takes as it infects. They now know how herpes embeds itself into the cells and how it eludes treatment. Now that they have honed in on the physiology of the disease - and its triggers - researchers believe they are steps closer to creating drugs that could cure herpes.

While we wait for a cure, there are drugs out there that can at least suppress herpes. Three antiviral drugs: acyclovir, valacyclovir, and famciclovir are commonly recommended to quell outbreaks. A physician might recommend taking these drugs when an outbreak occurs to quiet symptoms; or taking them continuously to reduce the likelihood of an outbreak.

And of course the best way to avoid spreading herpes is to abstain from sex, but if you are sexually active, engage in safe-sex practices such as using condoms.

Filed under: Expert Q&A • Sex • Virus

soundoff (1,855 Responses)
  1. Alexander Lingard

Grateful to Dr Uma for all his help for my life, my partner was having Herpes Simplex Virus, and we were planing on getting married on early December, when we decided to get ourselves tested first and we found out that my fiancee was HSV 2 Positive, my fiancee was so unhappy, because this was a barrier for us to get married, so i went out to search out a remedy for my partner, and it was so surprising how Dr Uma has been a blessing and healing to the masses, after reading about his work on a blog i immediately emailed him: Drumaharbalhome gmail com and he wrote back to me that my fiancee will be OK and that we we get married this same year, i couldn't believe it, after doing all that is needed to be done, i was surprise that after 2weeks of using his medicine my fiancee went to the doc and was diagnose negative. For more info contact his email or What app: 2348153808629

April 22, 2018 at 18:28 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Nicholas Stephanie

my name is Nicholas Stephanie I want to write about my great Doc who put the smile on my face again I was just hopeless when my family doctor told me there is no cure to this sickness HSV2, this horrible sickness really stress me out anytime I have outbreak well I very happy to have a normal life again since I meet DR.SIDOMA who pull me out from this bondage, I was searching for cure in the internet when I found out about this doctor on a lady post that she was cured by him, I email him for help also and explain everything to him, then I was told by him there is cure to HSV 2 and I was so happy deep inside my heart, I requested for medicine that was how he sent it down to me with UPS and I have the cure within 4day, I only take the herbal medicine for just 2 week according to the doc instructed, after everything I book for appointment for test I was so happy when I have my result I was completely cured that is why I am writing this out for people to know there is cure to this sickness you can also email the doctor through DR.SIDOMAHEALLINGHOME@GMAIL. COM
      this is my email nicholasstephanie06@gmail. com if you want to ask any question about him my name is Nicholas Stephanie

May 18, 2018 at 07:12 | Report abuse |
  2. nimmyrose

I caught genital herpes from my Ex Husband who never told me about the virus. I had it for 5 years with so many outbreak,and it affected my life.. People think herpes is really a minor skin irritation herpes has a long term effects on health. The stigma attached to this virus by ignorant people is ridiculous. Most people have herpes in one form or another,i was first taking Antiviral medicines, such as acyclovir(Zovirax), famciclovir (Famvir), and valacyclovir (Valtrex), are recommended for treating primary genital herpes outbreaks. This medicine can be taken when an outbreak occurs. It can also be taken every day to help prevent outbreaks,it is not a total cure... I will like to tell everyone who is reading this my testimony on how i get rid of my genital herpes.I was reading a comment on the internet,and i saw a testimony posted by a young lady from USA that she got rid of her herpes with the help of doctor ERAUDU ,a Traditional Herbalist.So i was so happy when i saw that post,that his herbal medication Cure the virus totally.I quickly copied the herbal doctor email address and i email him within 30 minutes he respond to my mail.I explain things to him he told me not to worry that i should fill his herbal form which i did..The next day he told me that he has prepare the herbal medicine,that i should send him my address that he want to sent his HERBAL MEDICINE to me via DHL or FED-EX that was how i got the herbal medication and i use it as i was instructed.After a week i went to see a Medical Doctor who confirmed my herpes was no more.When some of my friend who has herpes saw me they were surprise and i also introduce them to the man and they are also cure from the same Genital herpes today.I also refer my cousin to the same herbalist who was having DIABETES and today she is fully cure...If you have Genital or Oral herpes or any kind of Diseases and infections,kindly contact HERBALIST ERAUDU via this email DR, erauduherbalcure94@yahoo.com OR
    You can also reach him on, VIA WATSAPP, 09060813896.

April 25, 2018 at 08:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. agboibo nerd

If you need help or a cure to any kind of disease I doctor Alex can give you the cure to any kind of disease such as hsv1 and hsv2, HIV/ADIS, you can contact me on my whatsapp number +2348063824919 or call me and you can or whatsapp me , I also teach people how to use root and leave to cure themselves, (1) Do you want your ex back? (2) Do you always have bad dreams? (3) You want to be promoted in your office? (4) You want women/men to run after you? (5) Do you want a child? (6) You want to be rich? (7) Do you want to tie your husband/wife to be yours forever? (8) Do you need financial assistance? (2) Fibroid (3) (1) CANCER, (2) DIABETES, (3) HERPES SIMPLEX DISEASE, (4) URINARY TRACT INFECTION, (5IMPOTENCE (6) BARENSS/INFERTILITY (7) DIARRHEA (8) AGBOIBO HE HAS SOLUTIONS TO ALL YOUR PREDICAMENTS

April 29, 2018 at 16:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Joy Ben

1 Herpes simplex virus 1 cure 2018 blogspot post comment
    2 How to cure zoster herpes 2018 post comment
    3 has anyone get rid of herpes 2018 Post comment
    4 natural cure for oral herpes 2018 post comment
    5 herbal cure for genital warts post comment
    6 am from USA am looking for remedies for herpes disease 2018 post comment
    Natural fast cure for core sore diseases post comment

April 30, 2018 at 16:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. loveth750

HOW HERBS CURED ME OF HERPES IN 7 DAYS. I’M CHANTEL ,DR MUSTAFA CURED ME OF HERPES VIRUS. I VISITED DIFFERENT HOSPITAL BUT DIDN’T GET A CURE. I SEARCHED THE INTERNET FOR CURE ON HERPES AND SAW TESTIMONY HOW DR MUSTAFA BUBA CURED SOMEONE. I WAS SCARED BECAUSE I NEVER BELIEVED IN THE INTERNET BUT I GAVE HIM A TRIAL BECAUSE I WAS HAVING NO HOPE OF BEEN CURED OF HERPES SO I CONTACTED HIM ON THIS EMAIL. mustafaherbalsolutioncenter@gmail.com +2348035841258..HE GAVE ME HOPE AND SENT HERBS TO ME THAT I TOOK AND IT SERIOUSLY WORKED FOR ME, AM A FREE PERSON NOW, MY HERPES RESULT CAME OUT NEGATIVE. I PRAY FOR YOU DR MUSTAFA BUBA GOD WILL GIVE YOU EVERLASTING LIFE, YOU SHALL NOT DIE BEFORE YOUR TIME FOR BEING A SINCERE AND GREAT MAN. AM SO HAPPY, CONTACT HIM IF YOU HAVE ANY HEALTH CHALLENGES EMAIL..: mustafaherbalsolutioncenter@gmail.com ....or whatsapp +2348035841258.

May 1, 2018 at 01:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. nimmyrose

You can also reach him on, VIA WATSAPP, +2349060813896.

May 3, 2018 at 23:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. franchise opportunities in india

Admiring the hard work you put into your website and detailed information you offer. It's nice to come across a blog every once in a while that isn't the same old rehashed material. Excellent read! I've saved your site and I'm adding your RSS feeds to my Google account.

May 8, 2018 at 20:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. TRAVIS TINA

HERBAL FORMULA

Don’t panic! It can be reversed. I have had HSV since I was 30 years old. Am now 45 years old living HSV FREE. A great way to reverse genital herpes outbreaks is with natural herbal remedies called HSV herbal remedy introduced by BEST HEALTH HERBAL CENTRE. This product will reverse your herpes virus within 4-5 weeks of usage 100%. I used it, now am herpes virus free. To find this incredible product kindly visit ww w . besthealthherbalcentre. com..

May 10, 2018 at 07:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. KAREN ADAMS

Contact Dr Oniha for herpes cure and you will get cured as i am a living testimony of his work. Email onihaspelltemple@gmail.com or call+1 669 221 3962

May 10, 2018 at 11:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. sandra

my name is sandra mikway,i want to give almighty praise to DR ABALA who helped me cure Hiv virus, please help me to give thanks to him he is a great man who God send from heaven to save people’s life, when i contacted this deadly virus i thought that was the end of the world, latter did i know that there is a man called ABALA who has made a breakthrough in the cure of HSV-1 and HSV-2 cure with herbs when i confided in a friend in newyork city he told me about this man called DR ABALA and how he cured his mum and dad of HSV-1 and HSV-2, after five years of living with this deadly diseases called Hiv he told me of the cost and procedure i felt it worth a try after i have been spending so much in drugs to make me live like every normal human being so i contacted DR ABALA and did as he commanded without missing words he did all he needed to do and sent me the herbs here in USA through DHL i took it as he directed it was exactly 14 days as DR abala has spoken when he emailed me and told me to go for a check up again and i went, to my greatest surprise i tested negative i felt it was a dream so i went to three different hospital and it was still negative then i cried out in a loud voice and people gathered in the hospital and i told them my story in tears how this man called DR ABALA have saved my life and they started demanding for his mail to contact him it was only last week my friend Vanessa who was HSV positive came back from visiting DR ABALA as a healthy woman i told her about DR ABALA you can reach him through his email address drabalaherbalhome.com he never fails hold on my friend don't cry no more when our helper is here i believe in him am sure you will be lucky as i am too just happy right now he is a saver of life.

drabalaherbalhome.com

HE IS SPECIALIZING IN THE FOLLOWING SPELL.

1.herpes disease

2.HIV

3.PREGNANCY

May 10, 2018 at 17:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. nimmyrose

Hello every one I am Dawson Rose from usa. I have testimony that I would like to share with you all how I caught genital herpes from my Ex Husband who never told me about the virus. I had it for 5 years with so many outbreak, and it affected my life.. People think herpes is really a minor skin irritation herpes has a long term effects on health. The stigma attached to this virus by ignorant people is ridiculous.

Most people have herpes in one form or another, I was first taking Antiviral medicines, such as acyclovir (Overtax), famciclovir (Famvir), and valacyclovir (Valtrex), are recommended for treating primary genital herpes outbreaks.

This medicine can be taken when an outbreak occurs. It can also be taken every day to help prevent outbreaks, it is not a total cure... I will like to tell everyone who is reading this my testimony on how i get rid of my genital herpes’ was reading a comment on the internet, and I saw a testimony posted by a young lady from USA that she got rid of her herpes with the help of DR RAUDU ,a Traditional Herbalist. So I was so happy when I saw that post, that his herbal medication Cure the virus totally .I quickly copied the herbal doctor email address and I email him within 30 minutes he respond to my mail. I explain things to him he told me not to worry that I should fill his herbal form which I did..

The next day he told me that he has prepare the herbal medicine, that I should send him my address that he want to sent his HERBAL MEDICINE to me via DHL or FED-EX that was how I got the herbal medication and I use it as I was instructed. After a week I went to see a Medical Doctor who confirmed my herpes was no more. When some of my friend who has herpes saw me they were surprise and I also introduce them to the man and they are also cure from the same Genital herpes today. I also refer my cousin to the same herbalist who was having DIABETES and today she is fully cure...If you have Genital or Oral herpes or any kind of Diseases and infections, kindly contact HERBALIST ERAUDU via this email DR, erauduherbalcure94@yahoo.com OR

You can also reach him on, VIA WATSAPP, +2348164635960.

May 11, 2018 at 18:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. olieve

MY HIV HEALING TESTIMONY
    My mouth is short of words, i am so so happy because Dr abala has healed me from HIV ailment which i have been suffering from the past 3 years now, i have spend alot when getting drugs from the hospital to keep me healthy, i have tried all means in life to always i can become Hiv negative one day, but there was no answer until i found Dr abala who provide me some healing herbs that he uses to help me, now i am glad telling everyone that i am now HIV Negative, i am very very happy, thank you Dr abala for helping my life comes back newly without any form of crisis, may the good lord that i serve blessed you Dr abala and equip you to the higher grade for healing my life. i am so amazed. so i will announced to everyone in this whole world that is HIV positive to please follow my advice and get healed on time, because we all knows that HIV disease is a deadly type,contact Dr abala for your Hiv healing herbs today at:drabalaherbalhome.com He will be always happy to assist you online and ensure you get healed on time, contact Dr today shalor for your healing spell immediately, drabalaherbalhome.com

May 13, 2018 at 20:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. mariu weslry

Grateful to Dr osalumese for all his help for my life, my partner was having Herpes Simplex Virus, and we were planing on getting married on early December, when we decided to get ourselves tested first and we found out that my fiancee was HSV 2 Positive, my fiancee was so unhappy, because this was a barrier for us to get married, so i went out to search out a remedy for my partner, and it was so surprising how Dr osalumese has been a blessing and healing to the masses, after reading about his work on a blog i immediately emailed him: [drosalumese@gmail com] and he wrote back to me that my fiancee will be OK and that we we get married this same year, i couldn't believe it, after doing all that is needed to be done, i was surprise that after 2weeks of using his medicine my fiancee went to the doc and was diagnose negative. For more info contact his email or What app:+2349034455391

May 14, 2018 at 04:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. CLARA ROBERT

Dr Oniha of onihaspelltemple@gmail.com cured me from my herpes simplex virus you can contact him on the email below

May 17, 2018 at 20:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Oscars peter

After suffering with this ailment for more than 8 years i finally got help from the least place i honestly expected it from. Contact my Doctor at herbalremedies2015@gmail.com.

May 20, 2018 at 21:53 | Report abuse | Reply