home
RSS
July 24th, 2009

What are phytonutrients and why do we need them?

As a new feature of CNNhealth.com, our team of expert doctors will answer readers' questions. Here's a question for Dr. Gupta.

From @richroll via Twitter.com:

“What are phytonutrients and why do we need them?”

Answer:

Thanks Rich. You can think of phytonutrients as health boosters. Plants produce these substances to protect themselves from bacteria and viruses, but they help the human body as well. They are highly nutritious active compounds within plants which promote good health.

Phytonutrients come in many classes. That list is long, but the ones you’ve probably heard of are carotenoids, flavonoids and sulfides.

We probably know the most about carotenoids, according to the USDA, they basically give fruit and vegetables their red, orange and yellow color. These compounds are believed to protect against certain cancers, heart disease and even vision loss due to macular degeneration. Think of carrots, green leafy vegetables, oranges and sweet potatoes, to name a few. In fact just one orange contains more than 170 phytonutrients!

One rule of thumb I like to follow – try to eat at least seven different colored foods every day. The brighter the color, the better, this will help fuel your body with the essential nutrients your body needs.

Evidence that these compounds help our bodies is compelling. In just one study in the Journal of the American Medical Association, consuming just three servings of fruits and vegetables, was linked to a 22% decreased risk of stroke. But overall, phytonutrients are said to help slow down the aging process and may protect against a host of illnesses and diseases like some cancers, heart disease, high blood pressure and other chronic health conditions. In addition, they could work to enhance immunity and serve as antioxidants.

By the way Rich Roll is quite an inspiration himself, read his story here.

1. Ijegbai Ohimai

I have been able to grab an understanding of what phytonutrient is all about, i would want to get more information on the topic and i would want to get bulletins on science updates on my mail.

August 1, 2009 at 03:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. angela

Dr. Gupta,

A couple of months ago, I received a twitter from you saying eat several colors of veggies and fruits.

Several years ago, I'd decided to eat a variety of color of fruits and veggies, and had even decided to juice them as well. I found myself doing good for a while, but then gradually falling back into my bad habbits of only eating 1 or 2 a day. When I got the twitter from you, I was back on track and was so happy to read that from you. Your twitter got me to thinking, though..."Why color?" It bothered me.

So I started a blog: mamaknowsbest.today.com. I haven't blogged much yet. What I plan on doing with the blog is to explain to my readers why they need to eat color. Then I began thinking...if possible can you tell me why you said to eat at least 5 varieites of color a day. Tell me why does color matter?

I'm going to do research on my own and put my findings on my blog, but it will be good to hear it from you too.

I really thank you for that tweet; it has really changed my eating habbits again. I'm focused again.

August 5, 2009 at 13:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. eddie c. wills

av read this peace of info and yes its very true that our bodies need vitamins from fruits.

August 9, 2009 at 15:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Larry luv

You say phytonutrients is what gives frutis and vegetables their color and is healthy for our bodies to help fight disease..
    My question and concern is the mass amount of pesticides that are on our food crops, that we consume daily.
    Are we not prone to danger from the chemicals in our fruit and vegetable supply?
    Organic foods are very expensive and of limited supply for many folks.
    I am concerned the more fruits and veggies we eat,the more we consume and absorb in our body the harsh dangerous pesticides.
    Surely cleaning foods cant rid all of these chemicals.
    Please inform

August 9, 2009 at 23:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Ann

Larry Luv-Regular prepackaged foods have just as many pesticides as do Fresh fruits/veggies. They have more toxic chemicals added on top of that, rather as fruits and veggies have none added.

August 13, 2009 at 19:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Thys

What are the side efects of the plants they use-like Aloe

March 18, 2013 at 05:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. 萬用行動電源

I precisely wished to appreciate you as soon as more. I'm not sure what I could probably have handled within the absence of these techniques contributed by you on this kind of question. This was the terrifying situation for me, nevertheless finding out your professional form you managed it forced me to cry more than contentment. Extremely pleased for the service also as expect you really understand what an incredible job that you are providing training the mediocre ones thru your web site. I'm sure you've never encountered all of us. 萬用行動電源 http://www.powerbankhq.com

June 21, 2013 at 21:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Joshua C

our new fruit and veggie plus is an inexpensive way to get 13times the antioxidants of an average american. With the ability to neutralizes all 5 free radicals. http://www.optimalhealthsystems.com/fruitandveggieplusad/ also check out this pdf and phytonutrients in Fruitt and veggie plus http://www.optimalhealthsystems.com/fruitandveggieplusad/Phytonutrients.pdf.

July 29, 2013 at 16:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Lisandro R

December 1, 2013 at 21:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. musclelifestyle

December 13, 2013 at 22:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. George

DR.Gupta

have you ever heard of DR West ,He has a health alert news letter and clams he has all-natural ,phytonutrients based protocols to help almost any disease. I do believe that there are natural treatments that help but can they help anything. I am thinking of getting his news letter and wondered if you had any insite.

Thank you !