March 5th, 2009

Can low blood pressure be dangerous?

As a new feature of CNNhealth.com, our team of expert doctors will answer readers’ questions. Here’s a question for Dr. Gupta.

Asked by Bella, Buffalo, New York

"Dr. Gupta,
Everyone always talks about high blood pressure, but I have a question about low blood pressure. I am 21, female, eat very healthy, not intensely athletic, but I do cardio every morning and my blood pressure is 90/60. I am dizzy every morning when I wake up, and if I sit for too long, I am dizzy when I stand up. Is this a problem, and is there something I should be doing differently?"

Thanks Bella for writing in. I am a little concerned about what you are writing. Blood pressure can be a tricky thing to understand because levels categorized as “too high” or “too low” in one person, may be normal for someone else.

Once a person establishes his or her baseline number, it’s important to consult with a health-care provider to evaluate its specific impact.

A normal blood pressure is essential to your heart because it promotes and allows healthy blood flow. And you are right–typically you hear people talking about the dangers of HIGH blood pressure because it can lead to heart disease. But low blood pressure, known as hypotension, can be dangerous as well.

What’s too low? Anything below 90/60mm. Experts say that if you have a low BP level and are experiencing dizziness, fatigue, nausea it could be a sign of serious underlying conditions such as a heart condition, blood infection or damage to your nervous system. It is best to be evaluated to determine what could be the trigger.

For those not experiencing symptoms, a low BP level is rarely of concern. You can boost your blood pressure levels naturally by staying hydrated throughout the day and increasing the amount of sodium in your diet.

1. monlam

my husband is having low blood pressure after heart attack. just want to know is there any self method to gain blood pressure. or you can say home remedy for gaining blood pressure. thank you

March 18, 2012 at 02:40 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Harry

Hi Monlam, someone in my family is experiencing similar problem. After reading several articles and discussions I have come to the conclusion that drinking lots of water and increasing sodium in the diet are best home remedy. However if the patient also has kidney issues then consult a doctor before increasing sodium. Hope this helps.

March 31, 2012 at 14:03 | Report abuse |
  2. do it yourself

I need to to thank you for this good read!! I absolutely enjoyed every bit of it. I have got you book-marked to look at new stuff you post…

August 2, 2012 at 21:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Lynne

Hello, Ihave been prescribed Ramipril 5ml for a few years but after having anepisode of extra high B P. My doctor prescribed extra medication of Amalopodine 10 ml . Now when I take my BP it is reading 120/58 . Should I continue with this or take them alternatively on each other days? Please.

August 9, 2012 at 14:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Sybile

Hello,i'm 34 year old and i have a low blood pressure.When i get up in the morning i feel dizzy and i sometimes feel like fommeting but i sit up and it goes away.the dokter advised me to use more salt and i do but the dizzy feeling doesn't go away.I read an article that having sex can lower your blood pressure,my blood pressure is 53/95.Is it dangerous for me to have sex?

October 22, 2012 at 14:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. what causes low blood pressure

It’s difficult to find knowledgeable people in this particular subject, however, you sound like you know what you’re talking about! Thanks

October 25, 2012 at 06:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Kaylee

I think I have low blood presser because I was in my room last night and I felt like I was about to pass out now I just felt that same way

January 19, 2013 at 23:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. neha jain

hi doctor i have low b.p prob from last night it was around 106/61 in omron instrument ..... i was having a headache and feeling very irritated same in the moring even i was just sleeping after having my breakfast right now also b.p is low and had taken coffee .... salt and one homepatic medecine after all that i feeling bit good ... my ques is how could i help myself fron this .. coz it happen me sometimes but it happens

March 16, 2013 at 11:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. mohammad nasir

hi sir
    i had alsa bf problem from last two weeks about 70/100
    i m feeling abnormal from all part of body i also take medicen but my main point is this that can low blood pressure makes sex problem i mean that if B P contain sex problem for men my age 24
    my question is that is BP had a relation with weakness in sex

March 23, 2013 at 13:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. kim

Blessings, my Dad since January have been suffering with sickness, weak n such. He was lately identified to have low blood pressure. along so with pneumonia and bronchitis... would like to know what is recommended that he do here to build his pressure. Thank you.

April 8, 2014 at 16:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Name*lourens

Hi I got a blood pressior problim ever time a take a test it shows 201/156 pulse 71 ever day its like that I feel fine I cant sleep can't eat by I live in exel cond pleas tell me that can that be its bEen going on like this for 8 years now

July 29, 2014 at 15:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Raunak Singh

is the low blood pressure is danjerous?

August 23, 2014 at 20:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. john raguso

low blood pressure a steady 95 over 65 after vascular surgery what to do ?

August 29, 2014 at 18:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Monique

Hello I'm a female 54 years with a pass history of a stroke six years ago' but latetly I'm worry cause my bp been low 93/41 pulse 111. I'm taking medication one low dosage aspirin 81 and med daily Amlodipine 2.5 MG

September 8, 2014 at 13:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. marcie

Hello there , I had an episode a week ago that has me and my doctor puzzled. I had breakfast with my daughter and within one hour of eating I started getting nausia and sever dizzyness. My daughter took me home and then I got worse. I was so dizzy that I could not stand up and could barley see. I also got so cold that I was freezing in 80 degree weather. I got 911 to my place and they said my bp was abnormally low and they wanted to stand me up to try my bp again. I passed out at this attempt and for 7and one half hours I was in and out of conciousness and freezing at the hospital. I was given alervert, something for nausia and it took three bags of water before I felt like I needed to go to the bathroom. The night before I took a half of benadryl. I took a benadryl the other day because I have sever allergys. I woke up and felt kinda dizzy like I was going to fall over. I normally have high blood pressure. So far the doctor said he is puzzled. Could this be a allergy problem as I am very allergic to 7 different drugs? I have taken benadryl before and no problem. So I am not sure that is the problem. My tryglicirides are also high. would appreciate your help.

September 21, 2014 at 06:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. art

hello I have a blOld preasure of 73 over 50 where the heart rate of 75 How do I read this also dizzy tired & no ambition

November 4, 2014 at 00:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. zabawka dla 3 latka

wonderful points altogether, you simply gained a brand new reader. What would you recommend about your post that you made some days ago? Any positive?

November 22, 2014 at 15:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Lyn

Another nurse and I had a long-term-care patient last evening who had a 10 am upper-GI endoscopy, returned with SBP 110, then at bedtime had BP 65/50, and yet he could sit up, stand and walk around and consistently denied faintness. BP subsequently down to 62/58 - not a typo - when he conceded dizzyness after standing for about 30 seconds. (He was sleepy that evening; he has a habit of going out of facility and drinking alcohol, which he has the right to do.)

Four points of pulse pressure don't seem compatible with function, and yet he did function. How could this occur? We called ambulance. EMTs got 60/40, then over several minutes BP rose to 90/60. He did not go to hospital. This morning, I called. He had remained at facility with low BP but apparently safe.

The BP cuff did not appear to be malfunctioning. Is that the only explanation?

February 5, 2015 at 17:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Rafael T. Hernandez Davila

I am a 51 year old man and I have been experiencing dizzy spells. I checked my blood pressure and got a reading of 126/56 with a pulse of 58. Should I be concerned?

February 17, 2015 at 02:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. jenny

my bp is always low, right now its 75/50.im getting pain on left side of head, have severe palpitations and shortness of breath . cant walk up the stairs without getting palpitations

May 28, 2015 at 09:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Name*Wally gibson

tonight my wife's blood pressure was 49/26 that sounds scary

May 30, 2015 at 14:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Abhishek

I'm 17,I had low blood pressure,am good in athletic.I'll swim every day for 500 mtrs
    why this cause?Is it dangerous?

July 26, 2015 at 03:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. sdorttuii plmnr

I've recently started a site, the information you offer on this web site has helped me greatly. Thank you for all of your time & work. "The man who fights for his fellow-man is a better man than the one who fights for himself." by Clarence Darrow.

August 10, 2015 at 02:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Jen

Hello I saw this and my blood pressure has gotten as low as 50/20. It's orthastadic, and doctors are fully aware of this yet I have never fainted! I get so dizzy that I fall back to the ground and I see black and red spots in rhythm with my heartbeat. I also have severe headaches, hot and cold flashes and extreme fatigue. I don't think any of the 90/60's should be an immideate concern but do be sure to address to be safe. I've sat there standing up with people taking my Bp and 70/40 is when a normal person without any resistance may faint. Docs say that because I've had this for so long my body creates reactions that refuse to let me faint such as tripling speed of heart rate which could do damage later on. Address asap don't let anything go on to long!!!!

September 6, 2015 at 18:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Ayesha Ahmed

Hi Sir, i been having problems with low blood pressure since about one year now and I'm only 19 and weight about 105lbs. if you can please help me out here ill highly appreciated.

September 22, 2015 at 00:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. zecroshac

i'm with my father in the icu right now, and his blood pressure is 78/29. that seems freakishly low to me. what does the 29 part even mean? he has a failing heart, sepsis, cirrhosis, etc and i don't understand what's going on and why this low of blood pressure isn't getting the doctors' attention, it seems like it'd be low enough to give him some freakin blood pressure pills, right?

September 28, 2015 at 19:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Tasha

I normally have high blood pressure and take medication for it. Recently, within the past few months I have blacked out due to dizziness. I have ringing in the ears,ect. 2 weeks ago I mentioned my last blackout episode to my dr. He contributed it to my blood pressure which that day was 193/109. I spent the evening in the ER last night due to another blackout. THEY said it was due to my blood pressure being 84/52??? What could cause such a drastic change? I have horrible headaches, ringing in my ears, worsening memory,ect. I thought it was possibility from a concussion from 1 of the past 4 falls from blacking out,but they did a CAT scan last night and said it looked ok? Any suggestions?

October 5, 2015 at 11:26 | Report abuse | Reply