home
RSS
March 5th, 2009

Can low blood pressure be dangerous?

As a new feature of CNNhealth.com, our team of expert doctors will answer readers’ questions. Here’s a question for Dr. Gupta.

Asked by Bella, Buffalo, New York

"Dr. Gupta,
Everyone always talks about high blood pressure, but I have a question about low blood pressure. I am 21, female, eat very healthy, not intensely athletic, but I do cardio every morning and my blood pressure is 90/60. I am dizzy every morning when I wake up, and if I sit for too long, I am dizzy when I stand up. Is this a problem, and is there something I should be doing differently?"

Answer:

Thanks Bella for writing in. I am a little concerned about what you are writing. Blood pressure can be a tricky thing to understand because levels categorized as “too high” or “too low” in one person, may be normal for someone else.

Once a person establishes his or her baseline number, it’s important to consult with a health-care provider to evaluate its specific impact.

A normal blood pressure is essential to your heart because it promotes and allows healthy blood flow. And you are right–typically you hear people talking about the dangers of HIGH blood pressure because it can lead to heart disease. But low blood pressure, known as hypotension, can be dangerous as well.

What’s too low? Anything below 90/60mm. Experts say that if you have a low BP level and are experiencing dizziness, fatigue, nausea it could be a sign of serious underlying conditions such as a heart condition, blood infection or damage to your nervous system. It is best to be evaluated to determine what could be the trigger.

For those not experiencing symptoms, a low BP level is rarely of concern. You can boost your blood pressure levels naturally by staying hydrated throughout the day and increasing the amount of sodium in your diet.

1. Lyann

I have not got my period this moth , but last moth i had a every heavy period i lost a lot of blood my period was every painful . The third day during the night I got up from my bed to go to the bathroom I went and i decide to go to the kitchen to drink water . As i was walking to the kitchen I start to feel dizzy, Weak and my vision was getting blurring it was difficult for me to breathe it feel like i just ran ... i was really not feeling great as i walk to my parents room and try and get the door handle I faint . My parents heard me as i was trying to open the door when they open the door to see what was going on i was on the floor . My mom try to pick me up and she told me that i was sweating clod . My parents think that i had low blood sugar so the very firts thing they did check my sugar but my sugar was normal. So the question is could it been low blood pressure ?
    Could this be affecting my monthly cycle ? plz help Im very confuse i have not got my periond this month its been a week this is the firts time it happents to me Im going to get a pregnancy test tomorrow and see what is going on but i really don't think im pregnant i don't feel any symptoms but just to make sure and to be safe ..... what could be the cause of all this ?

October 16, 2011 at 06:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Suzie

I suffer from Migraines and have for over 20 years. I am now 42 years old. My health care provider has prescribed me blood pressure medicine, knowing full well that my blood pressure is already low. Is this risky? Should I get a 2nd opinion? It doesn't make since to me to prescribe medicine designed to lower a person's blood pressure when it is already low, in fact it has at times been as low as 90/60 and the top number is never over 100. I do eat healthy and used to be an athlete years ago, but I'm relatively sedentary now – mainly because the migraines stop me in my tracks every time I try to get into a fitness routine.

December 14, 2011 at 11:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. monlam

my husband is having low blood pressure after heart attack. just want to know is there any self method to gain blood pressure. or you can say home remedy for gaining blood pressure. thank you

March 18, 2012 at 02:40 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Harry

Hi Monlam, someone in my family is experiencing similar problem. After reading several articles and discussions I have come to the conclusion that drinking lots of water and increasing sodium in the diet are best home remedy. However if the patient also has kidney issues then consult a doctor before increasing sodium. Hope this helps.

March 31, 2012 at 14:03 | Report abuse |
  4. do it yourself

I need to to thank you for this good read!! I absolutely enjoyed every bit of it. I have got you book-marked to look at new stuff you post…

August 2, 2012 at 21:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. jennifer

So i am 15 and i think i have low blood pressure. First i just get like dajavoo and get blurry vision light headed and dizzy, i feel like throwing up but i just stay there for a while sitting down and in like 30 seconds or a minute it goes away. Also i sometimes hold on to something because i feel like ima fall. This used to happen a lot but now it only happens sometimes. Does low blood pressure go and come

August 5, 2012 at 21:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Lynne

Hello, Ihave been prescribed Ramipril 5ml for a few years but after having anepisode of extra high B P. My doctor prescribed extra medication of Amalopodine 10 ml . Now when I take my BP it is reading 120/58 . Should I continue with this or take them alternatively on each other days? Please.

August 9, 2012 at 14:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Sybile

Hello,i'm 34 year old and i have a low blood pressure.When i get up in the morning i feel dizzy and i sometimes feel like fommeting but i sit up and it goes away.the dokter advised me to use more salt and i do but the dizzy feeling doesn't go away.I read an article that having sex can lower your blood pressure,my blood pressure is 53/95.Is it dangerous for me to have sex?

October 22, 2012 at 14:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. what causes low blood pressure

It’s difficult to find knowledgeable people in this particular subject, however, you sound like you know what you’re talking about! Thanks

October 25, 2012 at 06:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Kaylee

I think I have low blood presser because I was in my room last night and I felt like I was about to pass out now I just felt that same way

January 19, 2013 at 23:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. neha jain

hi doctor i have low b.p prob from last night it was around 106/61 in omron instrument ..... i was having a headache and feeling very irritated same in the moring even i was just sleeping after having my breakfast right now also b.p is low and had taken coffee .... salt and one homepatic medecine after all that i feeling bit good ... my ques is how could i help myself fron this .. coz it happen me sometimes but it happens

March 16, 2013 at 11:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. mohammad nasir

hi sir
    i had alsa bf problem from last two weeks about 70/100
    i m feeling abnormal from all part of body i also take medicen but my main point is this that can low blood pressure makes sex problem i mean that if B P contain sex problem for men my age 24
    my question is that is BP had a relation with weakness in sex

March 23, 2013 at 13:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. kim

Blessings, my Dad since January have been suffering with sickness, weak n such. He was lately identified to have low blood pressure. along so with pneumonia and bronchitis... would like to know what is recommended that he do here to build his pressure. Thank you.

April 8, 2014 at 16:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Name*lourens

Hi I got a blood pressior problim ever time a take a test it shows 201/156 pulse 71 ever day its like that I feel fine I cant sleep can't eat by I live in exel cond pleas tell me that can that be its bEen going on like this for 8 years now

July 29, 2014 at 15:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Raunak Singh

is the low blood pressure is danjerous?

August 23, 2014 at 20:03 | Report abuse | Reply