January 15th, 2009

How can cardiac calcification be treated?

As a new feature of CNNhealth.com, our team of expert doctors will answer readers’ questions. Here’s a question for Dr. Gupta.

Asked by Collin, Oak Park, Illinois

"I'm in my 40s and was told I have cardiac calcification. I'm curious about treatments for it and read that chelation therapy might work. Does that work?"

Thanks, Collin, for writing in. Cardiac calcification is fairly common sign of early artery disease. It shows up on X-rays or CT scans in people of all ages. If developed during middle-age years, family history probably plays a role. I get tested regularly for heart disease and calcium buildup because I, myself, have a family history of the disease. There are often no symptoms of distress or pain so its important to keep up with annual exams.

Let me back up and explain exactly what cardiac calcification is. During the beginning stages of artery disease, the lining of aortic wall becomes inflamed, then plaque starts to build up and over time, calcium deposits begin to form in the artery wall. Those deposits are the calcification.

It's not reversible, but you can control the inflammation and prevent the calcium from progressing by controlling your risk factors. I ran this question by the American Heart Association, which confirmed that if you don't smoke, keep your weight down and your blood pressure/cholesterol at a normal range, you can prevent future damage.

Sounds like a simple solution, right? Well thats because it is simple. Many people search the Web for a magic drug, or a quick fix treatment when the solution is often as easy as working out, eating healthily.

Consuming healthy food will keep your numbers at a healthy range and your weight down. Limit or avoid transfat and saturated fats found in fried foods, cookies, eggs, palm oil. Look for sources of good fats in fish, flaxseed and olive oil. They'll help lower cholesterol levels and reduce your overall risk of heart disease.

You mention chelation therapy as a treatment option. Chelation therapy is typically used for treating mercury poisoning. Some people report using it to treat heart disease but there is no evidence that it works. In fact, the American Heart Association and National Institutes of Health do not recommend chelation therapy for heart patients, noting lack of evidence and also unpleasant side effects. The side effects include vomiting, headache, inability to create new blood cells and even kidney damage. The best treatment option is monitoring your vitals signs.

Collin, it's a positive thing that you've discovered these calcifications at a young age. Now, be empowered to take the steps necessary to stop the progression of the disease and you'll go on to live a long, healthy life. Best of luck!

Next entry »
  1. Capt ED Camblin RET

First I applaud your insight snd valuable medical advice! None the less i DISAGREE with ONE of your five points concerning living a good LONGER life – shortening WORK HOURS! IF "work" creates stress OR prevents "exercise" (which is TRUE for MOST of us) your point I believe is well taken! Yet for me it is not! I am an injured American soldier, a wounded warrior! My job was the high point of my life! Not to mislead! I was DRAFTED. UNhappily but PROUDLY I served til wounded! I appreciate zour work, THANKS e

January 15, 2009 at 19:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. blanch

I just learned by a ct scan that I have calcification of the intracranial internal carotid arteries. From reading a lot of research, mk7 helps break down the calcification. Any thoughts on that?

August 24, 2014 at 13:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Lana Ramjass

My sister-in-law went in for a operation to change a valve in the heart(blood was being restricted). When the surgeon did the incision he said he could not go further since there was a build up of calcium in the tube leading to the valve and to place the replacement valve(which had to go through this area) could have caused much risk if the calcuim was dislogged. So my sister-in -law was stiched back up and is prsently in ICU recovereing.
    Can you advise of treatment and or what operation if any can be done. Much thanks, lana

November 17, 2014 at 14:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Grace Mejia

My 13 years old niece was diagnosed this month with valvular heart disease. The aortic,tricuspid and pulmonic valves have good opening and closing motion. But the mitral valve is thickened and calcified. The cardiologist said she needs to undergo open heart surgery. With this kind of problem, what could be the prognosis if she will undergo a very expensive operation?
    Can you advise us.Thanks.

December 2, 2014 at 06:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Girish Talati

Dr.Sanjay Gupta,
    I acknowledge your experience and wisdom but I will appreciate if you can do some more research into this burning question. Calcification of arteries seems to be more due to family history. Take my example I always ask my cardiologist that though my HbA1c is perfectly under control between 5.8 to 6.2 since 2002 and BP always around 115/74 , my lipid profile is much under normal level for TC,TG , LDL but my HDL is also lower 35-38 and that's my worries. Apart from all these conditions when a mild heart attack occurred I 2008 and when discussed with my cardiologist he said it might be due to sleep apnea so taken study and started using CPAP at night but my calcium score always going up and up. I'm based in Atlanta and will appreciate if we can discuss personally to find out exact cause and any treatment, need to put more and more scientist into work and if possible by suitable modification into DNA. Pl advise. Thanks/Girish

March 2, 2015 at 16:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. don mau

The good doctor didn't actually explain the cause of calcification. Calcification is caused by a Bacterial infection, either Bartonella or Brucella and it is very serious.

March 19, 2015 at 14:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Girish Talati

Thank you Don Mau for providing me outstanding information !!

April 2, 2015 at 16:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Winnie Berrios

I recently had a CT scan and it showed the following:
    Significant coronary artery calcifrications involving the left anterior descending artery. I am a 67 year old female.
    Should I be worried ot not about this.
    Thank you for any information you could give me.

May 22, 2015 at 14:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Wilson

I have tiny calcification spot seen in the left lower zone please tel me medicine

November 27, 2015 at 08:43 | Report abuse | Reply