home
RSS
October 28th, 2008

Cancer warning labels on products: A cause for concern?

By Elizabeth Landau
CNN.com Health Writer/Producer

For several months I have enjoyed recording digital music files through my keyboard, thanks to a simple device that connects it to my laptop. But it wasn’t until recently that I discovered that the following label came with it:

WARNING: This product contains chemicals, including lead, known to the State of California to cause cancer, and birth defects or other reproductive harm. Wash hands after handling.

I freaked out. How could a set of cables attached to a small blue blinking cylinder cause cancer? The USB connector and keyboard inputs seemed harmless enough, and I hadn’t felt obvious symptoms while making music. Was I risking my life for the sake of my four-person fan base?

So I called the company, M-Audio. Apparently, manufacturers have to put this label on certain products to comply with Proposition 65, a California law that requires a warning on anything containing lead or other hazardous substances found to cause cancer, birth defects, or other reproductive harm.

Under this law, whose full title is The Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986, warnings must be placed on products with a chemicals present in amounts larger than what the California government has decided is a “safe harbor number.”

These requirements are pretty strict. For example, for a cancer-causing chemical, according to the state’s Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment, “a person exposed to the chemical at the ‘no significant risk level’ for 70 years would not have more than a ‘one in 100,000’ chance of developing cancer as a result of that exposure.” So, if there would be more than one excess case of cancer out of 100,000 people over a period of 70 years because of exposure to that amount of the substance, slap on that label.

It’s not just computing equipment. Amazon.com outlines for its customers required warnings for California consumers placed on tools, lead crystal glasses, ceramic tableware, jewelry, Tiffany style lamps, electrical cords, beauty products, and even motor vehicles.

The consequences for violating Proposition 65 can be pretty fierce. One Los Angeles company had to pay a $10 million fine for failing to label lead-tainted lunch boxes (they sold 100,000 of them to the state health department), the Los Angeles Times reported earlier this year.

Still, does that mean I have to wash my hands every time I touch the cord? Mark Williams, spokesperson for M-Audio, says, “No! My gosh, no!”

In general, he says, electronics products carry this label because of the materials used in circuit boards, such as lead, for example. It’s not like there’s pesticide sprayed on the surface, he says.

In fact, according to the company’s official statement on the issue, a device with a lead warning might not have any lead at all:

Even in situations where an electronics device is completely free of lead, there is always a chance that standard third-party-manufactured accessories packaged with the device (such as a power cable, USB cable, or power supply) may contain trace amounts of lead. Out of professional diligence and a commitment to fully comply with the law, M-Audio properly marks all applicable products with a Prop 65 lead warning.

Maybe people are used to seeing these labels by now. Williams said mine was the first call he’s received on the issue in his five months in media relations at the company.

So, now I will make my techno versions of acoustic indie songs in relative peace.

1. Terry

Back in the day, pencils had lead in them, I know I had them in my mouth, chewing away while in class or doing homework. I was actually stabbed with one when a classmate was handing one to me, I still have the mark on my palm if I look really hard for it, that was over 30 yrs ago and I'm still alive and kicking.

October 28, 2008 at 18:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Breezy

Pencil "lead" is made with graphite and has been made with graphite since the 1500s or so. (Never lead. That was a misnomer.)

October 29, 2008 at 13:03 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Rion

and yet everyone calls them "led" pencils, not "graphite pencils; until now, I shall call them "graphite" utensil.

August 28, 2012 at 09:09 | Report abuse |
  3. Terry Marcellin-Little

The following text, as borrowed from Wikipedia, points out that the "lead" in pencils has been - for many a century now - made of graphite, etc., but not the (highly toxic) element Lead which was used by scribes in ancient Rome. I'm assuming you weren't chewing on pencils in school THAT long ago...

"A pencil is a writing or drawing instrument consisting of a thin stick of pigment (usually graphite, but can also be coloured pigment or charcoal) and clay, usually encased in a thin wood cylinder..."

".. The archetypal pencil may have been the stylus, which was a thin metal stick, often made from lead and used for scratching on papyrus, a form of early paper. They were used extensively by the ancient Egyptians and Romans. The word pencil comes from the Latin word pencillus which means 'little tail'... "

October 29, 2008 at 14:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. mary peck

Now, the PAINT might have contained lead!

October 29, 2008 at 18:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. OhBoy

My main problem with all of these laws that go too far, including those that force you to be safe with your own life (seat belts) is the following.

Are we trying to make people live forever? We do not have the room or resource for humans that live until 150 years old. Death is required. As horrible as that sounds, people need to die sooner or later.

Frankly, a large portion of the population does nothing to add to the overall good. I'm talking about the increase in criminals and stupid kids that will never go anywhere. A bigger population just makes it worse by having less to go around, hindering the production of better people.

I know this all sounds bad, even fascist in a way but its a fact that needs to be considered.

Let people live they way they want and take the risks they want as long it doesn't pass on that risk to someone else. If they die....then so be it. I'd rather live to the fullest for a short period than lead a long dull existence. Live and stop worrying about death! There's nothing you can do to stop it.

October 29, 2008 at 19:31 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kat

I know this sounds horrible...but you're an idiot!

March 19, 2011 at 16:53 | Report abuse |
    • jackson

well thats eugenics for you buddy. If your not intelligent enough to want to know when there are neurotic or caustic chemicals in your food then eat it! survival of the fittest

May 4, 2013 at 22:15 | Report abuse |
  6. Al

I wonder if they use lead in the production of the warning sticker.

October 29, 2008 at 21:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Joel

Take a look at your Christmas tree lights this December, folks. Lead warnings all over them.

October 30, 2008 at 15:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Joe not the plummer

While I agree that pencils we've all used did not contain lead......

I would not quote Wikipedia to make a point, not a reputable source of accurate information.

October 30, 2008 at 16:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Joe, Boulder CO

Personally, I won't buy any product with this warning label. The onus should be on the manufacturer to use alternative and safer materials... why should I spend money on something that's going to give me and my family cancer. 1 in 100,000 (even after 70 years) is far too much. This junk needs to get off the market. Wake up, people.

October 30, 2008 at 17:08 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jodi

I couldn't agree more! Thanks for your post!

June 17, 2011 at 22:31 | Report abuse |
    • Rion

Does this stuff cause cancer in 1 in 100,000 people? I think the probability itself presents such a dramatic differential it would require an instrumentation of measurement not yet, or maybe ever, available to the upright bipedal humanoid. It seems like they could also say 1 in 100,000 people who's favorite color is blue get cancer, which may be true, and so on. At any rate, I'd like to know what scientific backing is available, if any, before I try to return that awesome knife I just bought. Let me know.

August 28, 2012 at 09:18 | Report abuse |
    • Rion

I do, however, see where this could set a horrible precedent. WARNING labels are placed on everything; we buy them. Then there becomes no way to distinguish the highly toxic one from the not so toxic ones. Very bad business in my opinion if this is the case, and usually is. Look at our water supply.

August 28, 2012 at 09:23 | Report abuse |
  10. Tiffany

Death by music player? I think not.
    I think this law is just a LITTLE bit harsh.

"...one in 100,000’ chance of developing cancer as a result of that exposure.”

Yeah, let us attempt to save that 100, 101st person from dying of cancer from a MIDI used for 70 years straight even though it was probably obsolete by the fifth year they had it, and that the other 100,000 people will be saved, even though half of the other 100, 000 people will probably have cancer in some form anyway. Give me a break. But I do admit, as a rabid nature lover, I do give them props for ,erm, exuberance?

October 30, 2008 at 17:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. John

My only fear with this is the meaning of the label is diminished. How does a person know how much lead or other dangerous chemical is in an object? I would imagine some products bearing that label may actually be dangerous to handle more than necessary, while evidently there is no danger at all to handle other products.

October 30, 2008 at 18:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Frank

It's amazing how there's no one leading one big effort to twarf the cancer epidemic. People die of cancer by the hundreds of thousands and no one knows why. They just keep going to work, hoping to be avoided. First there was the Dodo bird, then there was the chemical soup happy Dodo humans. We're killing the environment in which we live in and we're killing others and ourselves. Some Godly image. Looks like we are doing the same thing as a cancer does. -Frank was here.

October 30, 2008 at 21:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Tom

The lead in Led Zeppelin was also found to be non-toxic but had excellent riffs.

Tom

October 30, 2008 at 22:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. David

I understand the need for the warning labels on products, but there has to be a better measuring stick than the "more than one excess case of cancer out of 100,000 people over a period of 70 years". That is beyond extreme and just plain silly. Given what has been described in the article, I'm surprised we don't see that sticker on EVERY single item sold.

California had a good intent in writing that law, but they went beyond sane. Overkill like this will cause those warning stickers to be useless as no one will bother to read/care about them since they will be ubiquitous.

October 31, 2008 at 10:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Rob

Just to clear up a point on some of the earlier posts - the lead in pencils was in the yellow paint on the outside, not in the graphite.

October 31, 2008 at 12:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Sandra Ihrig

Lead in anything is a bad thing. My family was poisoned by lead in our drinking water. It came from plumbing materials used to deliver the drinking water. It was a nightmare trying to identify what was causing our symptoms. The most vulinerable population are children who have developing brains and the fetus who can't expel the lead once exposed.

November 1, 2008 at 14:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Jagad Guru fan

I agree with John on this one. It is becoming more difficult to say what is really dangerous and what is not. Despite that, I appreciate labels of the sort that are definitely more honest than say- the mobile phone retailers who are quick to declare that mobile phone or wifi radiation is completely safe.

November 1, 2008 at 22:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Jeramie

But the article brought out the main drawback – out of fear of litigation, every company will put the sticker on every item, regardless of whether it contains lead or not, simply to cover their bases. We're reaching a point where every item on the market will have a generic, overly broad warning that it might in some way cause harm.

Anyone using a computer right now has toxic heavy metals right next to them. To say "I refuse to buy these items for my health" might as well throw their computer, car, TV, cell phone, etc out right now. This is nothing new in our lives.

November 7, 2008 at 10:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Steve Jones

You are right you shouldn't buy products with this warning label...but the warning label was in manual which was sealed in a plastic bag inside the box! Maybe if they put it on the outside like a pack of cigarettes but when they put in the back of the manual right after the Japanese section how am I suppose to see it before I buy it? Am I really going to go through the trouble of returning this product now? What a pointless thing! Now I don't like the idea of using this keyboard and my desire to study is really diminished.

February 24, 2009 at 23:20 | Report abuse | Reply
    • joe-Socker

see your point. but if is for that nobody will buy nothing. the device has label inside nside because is intended to telll people to wash hands for lead in cord. million s of cords on thousands of products.

December 5, 2011 at 19:18 | Report abuse |
  20. amandawltz

My boyfriend just bought me a Bulova watch that had this label inside. I almost made him send him back. This article puts my mind at ease. Now I feel awful that I hurt his feelings over such a silly thing. I have a better chance of getting cancer from my own micowave or tv.

October 29, 2010 at 13:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Leviagoreaa

Hy ..

please cane you help me i want to become a vip but i dont know what are the procedures ..

Thanks

January 13, 2011 at 20:44 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Pharme590

Hello! bdeeadk interesting bdeeadk site! I'm really like it! Very, very bdeeadk good!

January 17, 2012 at 10:00 | Report abuse |
    • Pharmk795

Very nice site!

January 17, 2012 at 10:00 | Report abuse |
    • Pharmb556

Hello! kgfkedc interesting kgfkedc site! I'm really like it! Very, very kgfkedc good!

January 17, 2012 at 10:00 | Report abuse |
  22. Sofia.

Its unbelievable but still I have the mark on my palm if I look really hard for it.

custom label water

March 3, 2011 at 01:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. FJozeffumf

Please checkaour services http://www.racunovodska-skupina.si – Računovodski servis

March 19, 2011 at 06:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. kesefkal

כל הדרכים לעשות כסף באינטרנט
    שימו לב שאין דרך קסם

April 25, 2011 at 09:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. DuvalPierre6À

Have a look about this site tips about paint gun. It explains with simple terms how does a paint gun work and shows techniques to use it effectively.

April 25, 2011 at 15:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. skosstas

Car Interior Hi to All!! UK Car Tuning Styling Carbon Dash trim, Aluminium dash trim.

May 6, 2011 at 07:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. DuvalPierre6À

J'ai trouvé un site intéressant pour arreter de fumer.

June 6, 2011 at 13:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Lokyannualo

Awsome post ! I will mark it in my favorites. thanks

June 26, 2011 at 17:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Viela Recordð

Hey guys,

July 12, 2011 at 10:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Seattle2435

Seattle Pro Landscaping

September 13, 2011 at 13:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Mulberry8loverh

Hello

Heard about your site from a friend
    thought I'd come and have a look

I am sort of a fashion frantic, I like collecting luxury brand bags
    but as you know, they are extremely high on price

but I am an experienced consumer, I found out ,you can buy these bags online for insanely low price
    up to 70% off and more

here is my newest discovery,http://www.mulberrybagoutlets.com – Mulberry outlet and other designer bags.

I mean , is this unbelievable or what.
    wanted to share it with you.

September 15, 2011 at 11:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. skercecorrink

Watch Jersey Shore Season 4 Episode 12 Online Finale – Ciao, Italia Megavideo Stream. Jersey shore express farewell to make sure you France, Watch Jersey Shore Season 4 Episode 12 Online Free and see that this gangs ending ones own have a look at relating to Italy. You can see Jersey Shore Season 4 Episode 12 Online by way of weblink here!

Click Here To Watch Jersey Shore Season 4 Episode 12 Megavideo

October 22, 2011 at 03:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. davids

Guys, if you are looking for one great Louis Vuitton handbag, you may well pay attention to our website! We believe you would harvet a big surprise!
    outlet gucci
    louis vuitton online shopping

November 11, 2011 at 13:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. transtorino1Ðáì

Trans a Torino – Trans a Torino Thank you for sharing this very helpful, for any info :.

December 29, 2011 at 05:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Marloes1

Unknown message

February 6, 2012 at 20:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. royalnhyed

Reliable Auto Transport – Currently, Ace Auto Shippers Company evolved into one of the country's leaders in car moving. We've developed an world class reputation and brand based on providing the consumer with high quality and fast auto shipping solutions at an inexpensive fee.

April 10, 2012 at 14:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. carpinteyrovff

InStyler Iron Everybody of the biggest complains that we go out with eye to knowledge habit to curling an iron is that, they InStyler Australia send into praxis a undecided of disquiet and a packs a countless of abuse on monthly electrifying bill. InStyler Iron Cipher wants to career such products that InStyler Iron will-power about them to take a dear galvanizing invoice but curling irons are undamaged of such products that fritter away a grouping of electricity. That is the first common sense InStyler Rotating Iron 1?" why I everlastingly InStyler Iron introduce to from instyler curling iron because it not at any sharp end uses a consignment of upset at all. It uses but a infrequently at all times hint of Two InStyler Australia Rotating Irons tenseness because of the astute technology that has been acclimatized in it. Less expressly of intensity means that you detailing not oppress to draw lolly top electrifying bills.

May 17, 2012 at 04:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. arab

Heya i am for the first time here. I found this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out much. I'm hoping to offer one thing back and aid others like you aided me.

June 8, 2012 at 12:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. sittingindrivel

Dear Ms. Landau,

I'm surprised at the mediocre standards of journalism CNN.com holds you to.

You interviewed ONE individual for your article, who happened to be the company spokesperson selling the item with the proposition 65 label.

Is it any surprise that he would say that there is no cause for alarm?

Poor journalism aside, it is irresponsible to the public for you to post biased opinions as fact.

August 27, 2012 at 22:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. wiftergeree

good forum

August 28, 2012 at 12:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. steven

When I was 9 years old 1952, I found a piece of lead. The dimensions of the lead were about 4 inches long, 1 1/2 inches wide and 1/2 inch thick. I polished it with my hands daily, it was so smooth I even rubbed it on my face. This went on for about 3 months, until I lost the piece of lead. Knock on wood! I am now 67 years old, no signs of cancer yet. I have 4 healthy children ranging from ages of 37 to 47. I have 8 wonderful Grandchildren 5 to 20 years, all healthy. I thank God above for all.

January 2, 2013 at 19:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. marinah

i have this beauty product
    the Revive beauty soft touch skin care tool and it has a warning of a chemical in it that has to do with cancer and i've been kinda freaking out to behonest and i didnt notice the warning till i got home and read the whole box

:[ am not gonna get cancer am i ?

am a teenager also so i do believe everything i read

July 25, 2013 at 01:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. journeytokimberly

I find it ironic that California has cancer causing labels on all these innocent products, yet there are no warning labels on foods that are doused with cancer causing pesticides and herbicides( or preservatives for that matter). Aspartame itself causes poisoning resulting in MS symptoms. Now that's a label worth putting on.

February 17, 2014 at 21:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. john math

If you are looking for best sanitary products than you are at right place. you will get Trust, Quality, Reliability and best services here.

Bath Brass And PVC Fittings